PDA

View Full Version : Jacuzzi WJ

gcostelow
05-16-2001, 07:19 AM
I have a 77 20.5" Omega with a WJ pump. I have been told that the WJ is the one to have if you end up with a Jacuzzi. Why? I have also heard that there are shops that can install a Berkley impeller in a WJ for better performance. In addition to performance, I would think that it would make replacing the impeller easier and cheaper. If anyone could give me some additional information on this, I would appreciate it. Also, what is it that makes a Jacuzzi such a poor design? The YJ is an Axial flow. Is the WJ the same? I am new to the sport of custom boats. Any advice and information is appreciated.

waterfn
05-16-2001, 08:47 AM
I have a 75 18.5 omega with a wj, the wj is a mixed flow the same as the berkley's. unless your pump is in real poor shape I would'nt even think of tring to change it to anything else. Hot boat maq. did an article on using a Berkley impeller in a wj, it was expensive to do and the gain was not that great for a lake boat. Dan

Eric
05-16-2001, 09:06 AM
There is a big difference between the Jacuzzi WJ and the Jacuzzi yj/eagle. The WJ is a mixed flow pump and the yj/eagle is an axial flow. I've heard of the Berk impeller conversion but don't know anything about it. I would call Jack at MPD (949-631-2040) and have him work on the Jacuzzi impeller. Also if you're running a place diverter you should have the nozzle removed from the WJ bowl.
Eric
[This message has been edited by Eric (edited May 16, 2001).]

waterfn
05-16-2001, 10:04 AM
Eric are you talking about removing the end piece that is on the end of the pump bowl on the wj pump? I have never heard of that. I have a place diverter on it and they never said do that, Greg Shoemaker never said that either. The wj pump has a nozzle plug that if removed will open up the pump bowl. Let me know who told you to cut of the end piece of the bowl. If it helps I'll try it.

gcostelow
05-17-2001, 05:17 AM
Thanks for your the info. Unless the berkley conversion is a noticeable difference, I'll just run the WJ as it is. Would one of those Energizer kits be a better improvement? I have a Place Diverter. I'm not sure what could be cut off from the nozzle though. The unit came with an adapter that replaced the old four bolt steering nozzle piece on the end of the blowl. Thanks again.

Eric
05-17-2001, 10:47 AM
waterfn,
Jack at MPD suggested removing the WJ nozzle.
The nozzle plug that you are talking about was added to the WJ pumps because Jacuzzi originally made the nozzle on these pumps too large. The "plug" was used to reduce the size of the nozzle opening. On a Berk type pump when you install a place diverter you are replacing the original nozzle with the diverter. The diverter IS the nozzle. On the WJ the original nozzle is part of the bowl so when you install a place diverter you end up with two inline nozzles. How can that be good? I'm sure that removing the "plug" helps, but why keep the nozzle? If you want more information try posting here: http://disc.server.com/Indices/152642.html
Eric

Eric
05-17-2001, 12:03 PM
gcostelow,
The piece you removed with the four bolts is not a nozzle on the WJ, it's a nozzle housing/steering deflector. The WJ nozzle is part of the bowl.
The "energizer" kits for the yj/eagle have been around for quite a while and from what I've heard they make a big difference on that pump. But keep in mind the yj is converted from axial flow to mixed flow with the energizer kit. The WJ is already mixed flow. I don't know of anyone that has tried the WJ energizer kit.
Eric

JOESHOW
05-20-2001, 01:15 PM
GCOSTELO,
Is your boat an open bow? I purchased an Omega 20.5ft open bow with a jacuzzi wj over the winter and have been trying to find information or someone else with the same boat. So far I have only found one person with one. Some people have even told me that there is no such boat (obviously that's not true since I own one.) If this is the same boat that you have I'd like to see some pictures if you have any. Also I'd be interested in hearing any info on how the boat works out for you. I am also new to the custom boat hobby and would enjoy talking with someone that has the same setup as I do. Thanks. -Shane JOESHOW1@AOL.COM
P.S. If you cut the Jacuzzi nozzle of the end of the bowl let me know how it works out. I am thinking about trying it later this summer.

gcostelow
05-21-2001, 11:19 AM
Eric, Waterfin,
Thanks again for the info. as I mentioned before, I'm a rookie to the sport of custom boats. looks like I'll have to give MPD a call and see what I can do to get more power to the water. If you have any more ideas or advice, let me know. Thanks.

gcostelow
05-21-2001, 11:42 AM
JOESHOW,
Sounds like we got the same boat. Like you, i haven't found anybody that has the same setup. I have a friend that has a 77 Marlin open bow. our hulls are exactly the same. They even have the same stress cracks. I have also heard that Commander used the same mold for a while and called it a "Sun Streaker" or something like that. I'll shoot you an e-mail and we can compare notes. I'm running a 454 Chevy with a Jacuzzi WJ. My friend with the Marlin is running a 429 Ford and a Panther jet. If you have taken your boat out, you might notice that it likes to porpoise a little on top end. The guy with the Marlin has the same problem. If you don't have a place diverter, get one. It was the best investment I've made so far. My passengers spill a lot less beer on my seats.

montrone
05-25-2001, 10:37 AM
gcostelow
what kind of engine are you running on this boat?
i to have have the kit 12yj and called American Turbine (Ron owner) and asked him how well would a 25' Sleekcraft perform with a 502 ci olds with this pump.
he mentioned it's up there with the S/D-309 and A/T-309 but not 100% the same performance. but he did say it was a good pump.

montrone
05-25-2001, 10:44 AM
Eric,
i heard that the YJ is better then the WJ from the articles on American Turbine.com