PDA

View Full Version : Smoked my pump

dave186
08-07-2004, 07:34 PM
hey guys, im kinda new here, just been lurking and searching through the great posts for info. anyway I just got a new log manifold for my boat today so me and my bud took it down to the river to make sure there were no leaks and what not. it was running great so we were getting on it a bit, havin some fun ya know and we let it idle and heard and felt the awful noise of a bearing going out. we were down river about a mile from the dock and with no one else there we just limped it back, a few feet from the docks it locked up solid. water was also coming in from the front of the pump so we knew it was the front bearing took a dump. anyway, i just pulled it all apart got the toasted bearing out and everything and i still cant turn the pump shaft :mad: i put a cheater pipe on the yoke and can turn it that way but its seriously messed up in there. now im wondering what it is, could something have happened to the wear ring and impeller? the thing was working awesome right up untill that bearing shit. the pump is a jacuzzi WJ hooked to a 460 Ford in an 18' Southwind.
I remember doing a search and someone posted a list of part numbers for all the seals, bearings and o rings from Motion Industries, so i plan on getting those parts from them, but what about the impeller and wear ring? im kinda thinking i dont want a stock impeller :wink:
TIA
Dave

Floored
08-07-2004, 07:43 PM
dgie had the post about wj parts, maybe IM him for link

BrendellaJet
08-08-2004, 07:57 AM
Good luck trying to find a stainless impeller for a WJ. Ive been looking for a year now online and no dice. Ill probably just keep going with the aluminum and keep an eye on it. There are a couple of peoplewho have had their bowl/shaft modified to allow the use of berk impellers and Ive heard they work fine.
As for your problem, try and pull the bowl off.

dave186
08-08-2004, 08:04 AM
the bowl will be coming off as soon as i recover from this hangover :yuk:

Floored
08-08-2004, 08:27 AM
I think WSUWRHR did his to take a berk impeller and could do the mods for you and it made here in the old USA. trying to save a job, ya know :cool:

CANADIAN ROGERS BONNIEVILLE TR
08-08-2004, 08:34 AM
Here is the name and number of my pump man in Tn. If john can't help you, then nobody can.
BIG "A" PERFORMANCE
1-423-745-8347
Athens, Tn.
Tell John that you got his name from Jack in Canada.

mickeyfinn
08-08-2004, 08:40 AM
Don't know if you are interested in this or not but seems like this might be an option.
American Turbine
ADVANTAGES TO CONVERTING YOUR JACUZZI 12WJ WITH AN AMERICAN
TURBINE JACUZZI WJ ENERGIZER KIT
• American Turbine manufactures a kit that converts a Jacuzzi 12WJ pump to a
much more efficient MIXED FLOW (high pressure) pump. The WJ ENERGIZER
Kit will yield the same speed or better at a LOWER RPM.
• On average there is a 10 percent increase in performance with the Energizer
Kit over the original 12WJ pump.
• Parts for the Energizer Kit are much cheaper than original Jacuzzi 12WJ parts.
• There are many after market parts available for the Energizer Kit that are not
produced for the original Jacuzzi.
ADD ON OPTIONS
JO1000 Inducer Impeller
JO4101 Stainless Steel Impeller
JO6301 Hi-Flow Droop Snoot
JO1407 Best Steering

ARS Marine inc. east
08-08-2004, 10:34 AM
Dave186
Mickeyfinn Is 100% Correct.
The american Turbine Energizer Kit is by far the Best Investment you could make .I have them on two boats and people love them , Simple Bolt on Deal. Just add a little Epoxy around the ring to help flow.
I can get you that kit ??For about $1650.00??
If your intersted Get your Best $Price. Then come talk to Me.

BrendellaJet
08-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Don't know if you are interested in this or not but seems like this might be an option.
American Turbine
ADVANTAGES TO CONVERTING YOUR JACUZZI 12WJ WITH AN AMERICAN
TURBINE JACUZZI WJ ENERGIZER KIT
• American Turbine manufactures a kit that converts a Jacuzzi 12WJ pump to a
much more efficient MIXED FLOW (high pressure) pump. The WJ ENERGIZER
Kit will yield the same speed or better at a LOWER RPM.
• On average there is a 10 percent increase in performance with the Energizer
Kit over the original 12WJ pump.
• Parts for the Energizer Kit are much cheaper than original Jacuzzi 12WJ parts.
• There are many after market parts available for the Energizer Kit that are not
produced for the original Jacuzzi.
ADD ON OPTIONS
JO1000 Inducer Impeller
JO4101 Stainless Steel Impeller
JO6301 Hi-Flow Droop Snoot
JO1407 Best Steering
I love these WJ threads. First of all, the WJ is ALREADY MIXED FLOW! 10% increase huh? Well, thats a nice claim, yet when I asked AT for real life data, he couldn't provide any. Anthony 75 on the boards here had Jack@ MPD blueprint his pump with no other mods(this is hearsay) and saw an 11mph increase! Sounds much better than 10%, as I recall, it was more like 15-20%(I dont know what his original speed was, but I recall he was near 80mph after the mods.
Second of all, the parts after the blueprinting are in much better shape than anything Ive seen from AT out of the mold-you would still need to detail the parts if you are looking for speed.
More money, less performance.

dave186
08-08-2004, 01:04 PM
brendellajet,
from reading the posts on here i have pretty much already come to the conclusion that the energizer kit isnt worth it unless you have a YJ. does MPD have a website?

Clown
08-08-2004, 01:14 PM
I love these WJ threads. First of all, the WJ is ALREADY MIXED FLOW! 10% increase huh? Well, thats a nice claim, yet when I asked AT for real life data, he couldn't provide any. Anthony 75 on the boards here had Jack@ MPD blueprint his pump with no other mods(this is hearsay) and saw an 11mph increase! Sounds much better than 10%, as I recall, it was more like 15-20%(I dont know what his original speed was, but I recall he was near 80mph after the mods.
Second of all, the parts after the blueprinting are in much better shape than anything Ive seen from AT out of the mold-you would still need to detail the parts if you are looking for speed.
More money, less performance.
Brendellajet:
The jacuzzi Pump Works Fine, But like You said Parts are hard to find; Heck If I had known that I would Have saved the two I did , They both had Bronze impellers.
So that is why I would suggest going with a AT Energizer.
You get all new pieces .
Later down the road if you still own the Boat You can start to modify the bowl and impeller.
I would look at Both getting the Jacuzzi Rebuilt&Blue printed $Price tag$
And the cost of a American turbine Energizer Kit.
Before I made any rash decisions
:)

dave186
08-08-2004, 02:41 PM
well at this point, im more concerned about just getting it working again than doing performance mods. i was planning on painting the boat first, but this has gotten in the way.
anyway, i need some help getting this thing apart, ive got the bowl off and now how the heck do i get the impeller and shaft out? it still takes a breaker bar to turn it, yet i can jiggle the shaft up and down easily. am i missing something here or what?

Duane HTP
08-08-2004, 03:36 PM
You need to unbolt the pump from the intake in the floor of the boat and pull it out the back. Then you can work on it. The shaft has to come out from the front side. So, you either have to pull the pump or the motor. I'd suggest the pump is the quickest. Call 316-794-8616 if you need some help getting it out.

dave186
08-08-2004, 04:28 PM
thanks for the help guys, i ended pulling the pump out and had to beat the shaft out with a big sledge. the impeller is just hammered and was stuck in the wear ring. the shaft is also bent, so now that energizer is looking better.

BrendellaJet
08-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Clown:
New pieces are nice, but only if they are necessary. In this case they may be, since it looks like his need work. But that doesn't mean the shaft cant be trued, and the impeller repaired/replaced for cheaper than 1600. Ive got nothing wrong with the AT kit, have not tried it. But the only people who have given me real data, say that the Jacuzzi parts after blueprinting gave better results than the AT kit would have given their claims.
In my case, if my MPD jacuzzi doesn't yield 100mph results, Im gonna check out the AT kit. If it doesn't work better than my WJ, they said they would take it back.
Im sure Duane and other pump shops can chime in here, but for 1600, you can get a nicely detailed impeller, bowl and a shoe/rideplate for that.
More = Better
Dave: MPD (http://home.pacbell.net/jmcclure/)
Try giving him a call. Jack is a Great guy and he will set you straight-he knows these pumps. Definitely talk to Duane too, he's great with ?s and is always on the boards giving valuable advice.

Cs19
08-08-2004, 08:14 PM
had to beat the shaft out with a big sledge..
:frown: OUCH!! Well, that may be the reason your shaft is so damaged.
You can certainly count on the tip of the shaft being mushroomed.
I dont know how available those shafts are these days? :confused:

BrendellaJet
08-08-2004, 09:12 PM
Shafts are still available, as are most if not all parts from the factory. (look up North American Marine Jet on google-they own all the Jacuzzi stuff...)
I bet you could find it used though, maybe Jack or Duane has an extra, or, I think WSUWRHR made his own...
Definitely not good if you have to beat it out though-
"no part of a jet requires a hammer for removal"-Jack

JT2Fast4U
08-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Hi Dave186...Here is the parts list & prices for the parts that you were asking about. This is what "dgie" gave me when I was asking about my pump..Hope this helps ya out... JT2Fast4u.
I did a complete rebuild on a Jacuzzi 12WJ pump for around $80.00 including the bearing. I went to Motion Industries in Garland, Texas (972) 278-0220. Here is what to ask for and what I paid for them.
271 Buna o-pack (1 pack) (00192 S 21803) $1.75
232 Buna o-pack (5 pack) (00192 S 21764) $1.75
258 Buna o-pack (1 pack) (00192 S 21790) $1.75
256 Buna o-pack (1 pack) (00192 S 21788) $1.75
032 Buna o-pack (1 pack) (00192 S 20631) $1.50
450 Buna o-pack (1 pack) (00192 S 21908) $3.13
9080 Lup seal 0137 oil seal (00480 X 16110) (1) $7.47
5307 K Bearing, Double Row Ball Bearing (00300 B 03203) (1) $38.24
10054 Lup Seal 0168 Oil Seal (00480 X 23480) (2) $16.78
You will have some packing’s left over; they only sell some of them in a 5 pack (what’s a few extra cents anyways). I did this rebuild last summer so the prices may have changed a little since then.

dave186
08-08-2004, 10:47 PM
i didnt hurt the shaft with the sledge, it was for sure damaged by the bearing locking up. but its looking like I want to get the energizer kit now, simply because a new shaft, impeller and the other various rebuild parts are gonna be almost as much. and then the hassle of hunting those parts down. i think the energizer would just make things easier, plus a little performance gain. now i just need to find a good deal on one.

BigBoyToys
08-09-2004, 05:17 AM
Personally, I'd replace the whole pump with a Berkeley. You can find complete good berkeley pumps anywhere in the $200-$500 range. I just sold a Complete Berkeley 12JG that had very little use and was like new, for $600.00! I see 12JC's on Ebay frequently in the $200 range. Sure sounds like it would be alot cheaper....... There's another thread here in the Jets section that shows a pump on Ebay for $100.00. Sure sounds easier and cheaper to me...

BrendellaJet
08-09-2004, 05:43 AM
Changing to a berk would require extensive fiberglass work. Besides, the WJ is just as good as the berk parts once its had a little work done to the bowl.
Dave, lets see pics of the damaged parts. If they haven't been beaten badly you could be up and running again for less than 1600...

dave186
08-09-2004, 06:59 AM
i will go get pics. my dad seems to think a machine shop could straighten the shaft for me, but what do you guys think of that? and then i still need an impeller.

BrendellaJet
08-09-2004, 07:57 AM
Depends on how bent it is, but yes, shafts can be straightened. Impellers can be repaired as well. Get some pics up and we can get a better idea of the damage. I would send everything to a pump guy though-not just any machine shop.

JETBOY03
08-09-2004, 08:46 AM
do the wj and the golden eagle use the same thrust bearing, if not do you know what bearing i need if i went to my local bearing house, thanks

roostwear
08-09-2004, 09:01 AM
"no part of a jet requires a hammer for removal"-Jack
Well, except for the owner....

dave186
08-09-2004, 10:00 AM
heres the pics
http://www.mototechtuning.com/dave/IM000781.jpg
http://www.mototechtuning.com/dave/IM000782.jpg
http://www.mototechtuning.com/dave/IM000783.jpg
http://www.mototechtuning.com/dave/IM000784.jpg
http://www.mototechtuning.com/dave/IM000785.jpg
http://www.mototechtuning.com/dave/IM000786.jpg

BrendellaJet
08-09-2004, 10:08 AM
Ive seen pics of an impeller for a WJ that looked MUCH worse off than that! Jack fixed it up better than new. Id give him a call if I were you, better yet, email him the pics and see what he thinks. Hopefully Duane will chime in too, he might be closer to you than Jack is...

Wally_Gator
08-09-2004, 10:56 AM
Ive seen pics of an impeller for a WJ that looked MUCH worse off than that! Jack fixed it up better than new. Id give him a call if I were you, better yet, email him the pics and see what he thinks. Hopefully Duane will chime in too, he might be closer to you than Jack is...
Attached is a pic of my impeller that Jack fixed. Clean and I couldn't even tell where the damage was..
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1563bowl_side_impeller-med.jpg

dave186
08-09-2004, 03:14 PM
well i ordered an energizer kit from Duane at HTP, he gave me a good deal and is having it drop shipped from AT so i should have it pretty quick! would anybody be interested in the old jacuzzi parts?

BrendellaJet
08-09-2004, 03:24 PM
well, I hate to see people throw money after new parts like that, but I might be interested in the impeller. How much you want for it?

dave186
08-09-2004, 03:27 PM
time was the main factor in choosing the energizer kit, otherwise i would have had the existing stuff reworked. make me an offer on the impeller.

JustMVG
08-10-2004, 07:29 AM
Brendella i just had my pump a Dominator gone thru by the guys at MPD , they were great helped me out alot, didn't cost much and i gained a few more mph get out of the hole better and in general just have more fun and less worry. Give em a call you won't be disappointed. Mike VG.
Thanks to Jack and Chris for their help jets running great !!!

BrendellaJet
08-10-2004, 07:57 AM
think you misread, Ive already got an MPD pump....

dgie
08-10-2004, 08:35 PM
do the wj and the golden eagle use the same thrust bearing, if not do you know what bearing i need if i went to my local bearing house, thanks
Jetboy take the bearing down to your bearing house and have them match it up, more then likely there is a number on it somewhere that they could cross reference to something they have. If no luck try Motion Industries that was posted earlier, they may be out there somewhere they seem to have many locations, even here in Texas. Sorry Dave I missed your post, looks like they took care of you. I think that you could have saved much $$$ by getting that stuff reworked, like they mentioned, my pump had a fragged bearing in it also. My bowl was missing a vane also, I actually looked in the phone book and chose a local welder then took the bowl to him and he re welded a new piece of aluminum in my bowl for $50 and a beer. I talked to Jack at MPD and he said that's the same thing they do when they fix vanes in bowls, just weld a new piece of aluminum in there then reshape them the best they can. I am sure Jack has a lot more experience at it though; I just wanted to save a little money and not have to go thru the headache of sending it out there and then waiting for it. Mine is still holding though, no problems, that just shows you that a lot of this stuff can be reworked though. I understand that time was not on your side, so that is understandable.