PDA

View Full Version : London wants the bridge back from LHC?

bigq
04-08-2006, 07:15 AM
I can't believe they would even consider it.
LHC - The City of London has asked for thebridge that
spanned across the Thames River for over 130years, be returned.
In an official letter they sent to the City of Lake Havasu last
month, London requested the bridge come home. Lake
Havasu City has tentatively asked for $25-million dollars,
more than ten times what was originally paid for the bridge,
in a tender offer between city attorneys. “We need to pay for
the skyrocketing cost of the English Village,” said Mayor
Harvey Jackson. “And we can replace the bridge with something
more practical and much easier to maintain.” The sale
must first be approved by the Lake Havasu City Council.

Squirtin Thunder
04-08-2006, 07:19 AM
WTF ???

Havasu Cig
04-08-2006, 07:27 AM
I believe I read somewehere that the bridge is the #2 tourist attraction in Arizona after the Grand Canyon. If this is true, which it sounds a little strange to me, it would be stupid IMO.

Squirtin Thunder
04-08-2006, 07:30 AM
Sounds like war to me !!!

bigq
04-08-2006, 07:36 AM
The article is from the Golden Shores XTRA. I am hoping someone chimes in that has first hand knowledge as to why the city officials would be so foolish. :rolleyes:

UncleLarry
04-08-2006, 07:40 AM
This ran Saturday April 1st....

bigq
04-08-2006, 07:47 AM
NM, this is what happens when you lack brain cells. :cool:

AZKC
04-08-2006, 07:52 AM
News rag with a sence of humor, nice :rollside:

TOBTEK
04-08-2006, 07:57 AM
I believe I read somewehere that the bridge is the #2 tourist attraction in Arizona after the Grand Canyon. If this is true, which it sounds a little strange to me, it would be stupid IMO.
NOT DOUBTING IT.... but that suprises me that the bridge brings in that many tourist. Id take the 25 million and build a U.S landmark..... how about a replica of the GoldenGate bridge with more than one lane each way, and IF theres any money left over, build a few more LAUNCH RAMPS :)

JB in so cal
04-08-2006, 08:00 AM
NOT DOUBTING IT.... but that suprises me that the bridge brings in that many tourist. Id take the 25 million and build a U.S landmark..... how about a replica of the GoldenGate bridge with more than one lane each way, and IF theres any money left over, build a few more LAUNCH RAMPS :)
How come your not laying in your homo neighbor's lap keeping him awake on his desert drive today?

bigq
04-08-2006, 08:01 AM
hmmm... the paper says "Friday April 7" not the 1st. Maybe they fell for April Fools also?

bigq
04-08-2006, 08:04 AM
Might be a tough sell considering it is next to The English Villiage. :rollside:

SHOTKALLIN
04-08-2006, 08:07 AM
If I were the mayor I would sell it too. but my price would start at 500 million and they can bid for it on EBAY. They might bet in a bidding war with some oil baron??? :argue:

Havasu Cig
04-08-2006, 08:08 AM
I hear you Tob, but the reason it is so popular is because it is the famous "London Bridge" (although from what I have read it is not the same one reffered to in the song). I think it adds to the City, and being a homeowner there I would hate to see it go.

TOBTEK
04-08-2006, 08:09 AM
Might be a tough sell considering it is next to The English Villiage. :rollside:
SORRY BUT....... SCREW the english! they dont like Americans in europe anyway! Change the English Villiage to garidellie (sp?) center, change all the water front to the Warf..... celerbrate the united States, And F the Euro's.
going to put forsale signs right now in the BMW and Mercedes :)

v-drive
04-08-2006, 08:27 AM
I think they should keep it. I have never been on it, I just have a clue of what 25 mil won't do. v-drive

Her454
04-08-2006, 08:39 AM
SORRY BUT....... SCREW the english! they dont like Americans in europe anyway! Change the English Villiage to garidellie (sp?) center, change all the water front to the Warf..... celerbrate the united States,
Its spelled "Ghirardelli" and I dont think that would work. Anyone that knows anything about chocolate knows thats where they make the most famous.
And all that chocolate would melt in Havi :rollside:

cc322
04-08-2006, 08:40 AM
It's always something isnt it

ROZ
04-08-2006, 09:17 AM
I just have a clue of what 25 mil won't do. v-drive
Yea, would that even pay the costs to remove the damn thing?
BTW, Toby's only puttingfor sale signs on his cars because everything of his is for sale... It's an OCD thing :D Besides, he'd be buying more expensive Mercedes and bmw's anyway... BALLER

Boatcop
04-08-2006, 11:49 AM
The article was printed April 1st in the Havasu Paper. There was a link at the end to supposedly, the article in a British Paper. The link took you to a page that said "April Fools".
I think whoever publishes the Golden Shores rag just steals articles from other sources, instead of writing and researching their own news reports.
In this case, the only fool is whoever runs that paper.

Ziggy
04-08-2006, 01:04 PM
I hear you Tob, but the reason it is so popular is because it is the famous "London Bridge" (although from what I have read it is not the same one reffered to in the song). I think it adds to the City, and being a homeowner there I would hate to see it go.
Sure its the same one....."London Bridge is Falling down".....that's exactly why it needed to be either fixed or replaced in London, its footings were sinking into the river...
Iregardless, it should stay whether a joke or not, its soley responsible for Havasu's exsistance

phebus
04-08-2006, 08:45 PM
I think the city wants to buy the Bridge Over The River Kwai next.
Doo doo, da da doo doo doo.......