PDA

View Full Version : I may be headed home...

Dr. Eagle
08-08-2004, 08:55 AM
OK after much drama last week (the client requested that I be assigned in another market... near home, boss' boss was pissed, etc.) looks like I will be leaving So. Cal and headed up north in the next couple of weeks.
I get to split my time between Sacramento and So. San Francisco. I hope monday, tuesday in sac... weds in so san fran....then thursday/fri in sac. But i know it'll probably be the opposite.
To Gnarly and others that have commented that I seem to have no life... you were right, but now I will have one again.
AND... I would invite each one of my detractors to get in their car and head 500 miles away from home and pitch a tent in an extended stay hotel or some other lovely place, and work your ass off for 8 months 6 or 7 days a week 10 to 12 hours a day and tell me you'd have a life! Just give that some thought.
It has wound down from that schedule the last month or so... but it was 7 months of hell.
Regardless, I should be seeing so cal in the rear view soon as a place of work... thank goodness! :D

Debbolas
08-08-2004, 09:44 AM
I'm going to miss you Dr. Eagle, but I am glad you get to go home :D

Tom Brown
08-08-2004, 10:21 AM
I'm glad your tour of duty is almost complete. :)

MagicMtnDan
08-08-2004, 10:37 AM
That's great news that you're headed home! But once you get back up there to the land of fruits, nuts, & flakes, you're gonna miss SoCal big time! :D

Floored
08-08-2004, 10:45 AM
I worked in Phoenix and commuted to Apple Valley every weekend for over a year, so, I can relate. glad you get a reprieve.

Dr. Eagle
08-08-2004, 12:08 PM
That's great news that you're headed home! But once you get back up there to the land of fruits, nuts, & flakes, you're gonna miss SoCal big time! :D
Nah... I love it up there (well let me qualify that... I love it in the foothills of the sierra where I live... Don't care much for SF)... it'll be good to get home anyway.

Dr. Eagle
08-08-2004, 12:13 PM
I worked in Phoenix and commuted to Apple Valley every weekend for over a year, so, I can relate. glad you get a reprieve.
I have commuted from Sacramento to:
Phoenix
Seattle
San Diego
LA
Las Vegas
I had apartments in:
Phoenix
Seattle
San Diego
I stayed with the folks here in LA this time.
in the last 10 years I have spent like 3 years working close to home. I decided this time I wasn't gonna commute... the travel gets old and exhausting eventually. So I just put my head down and went after getting the job done. I guess that's good, since I get to go home... they must like me (don't know why)...

KACHINA KEN
08-08-2004, 12:13 PM
Nah... I love it up there (well let me qualify that... I love it in the foothills of the sierra where I live... Don't care much for SF)... it'll be good to get home anyway.
Why don't you like Sf, it is one of the few cities that I feel actually has it's own culture in the U.S. ( above and beyond the whole "gay" thing) great food and sightseeing, the weather kinda blows in the morning but generally it's a cool place don't ya think? And is Folsom prison near your house?

Dr. Eagle
08-08-2004, 12:41 PM
Why don't you like Sf, it is one of the few cities that I feel actually has it's own culture in the U.S. ( above and beyond the whole "gay" thing) great food and sightseeing, the weather kinda blows in the morning but generally it's a cool place don't ya think? And is Folsom prison near your house?
You are right...SF is a fun place.... to visit. Working around that city is a MoFo... I worked in DT SF for about 3 years in the 80s and again last fall. Parking=misery, traffic=misery, better not be in a hurry to go anywhere.
You are right there lots of things to do an see there. I just never have the time when I am working and have to think about that 3 hour commute home (when I go home once or twice a week).
Yes, the prison is about 1/2 mile down the road from the launch ramp I use at Folsom Lake which is a little over 2 miles from my driveway.

Scream
08-08-2004, 01:05 PM
OK after much drama last week (the client requested that I be assigned in another market... near home, boss' boss was pissed, etc.) looks like I will be leaving So. Cal and headed up north in the next couple of weeks.
What kinda money did you have to drop on that guy to get him to ship ya home??? j/k
Good Deal Doc, Home is a good place to be.
So, how did you piss them off???

Dr. Eagle
08-08-2004, 02:05 PM
What kinda money did you have to drop on that guy to get him to ship ya home??? j/k
Good Deal Doc, Home is a good place to be.
So, how did you piss them off???
Turned out that the boss' boss had just found the boss a new home on another project and I was slated to take over his job. This kinda screwed up his plans.
Actually it was a woman, someone I used to work with at AT&T. Her husband and I worked at the job I had in San Diego... She knows my work well, since I more or less trained her on wireless system deployment in the 80s, so she at least knows I'll look after the details that always cause problems... and she didn't have much faith in the team up there now.
Regardless, I was about to blow a gasket doing this working away from home, wife, toys, guitars, etc... so the timing was right.

dmontzsta
08-08-2004, 02:55 PM
Time to get the cow bells out...just remember one thing before you leave... http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/SigsAndAvatars/Smilies/Kobethumbsup.gif http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/SigsAndAvatars/Smilies/ball1.gif
:D

Dr. Eagle
08-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Time to get the cow bells out...just remember one thing before you leave... http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/SigsAndAvatars/Smilies/Kobethumbsup.gif http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/SigsAndAvatars/Smilies/ball1.gif
:D
LOL.. that's pretty good! It may be more like "Go Kobe (and those other guys in gold, whoever they are ;) )"....... should be interesting. I'm looking for some tix for Arco... Gotta go clang one! :D

NorCal Gameshow
08-08-2004, 07:23 PM
Nice..... you'll be coming back to triple digit temps and little water left in the lake....on the bright side if you fish there is less places for them to hide ;)
It was 61 degrees when left bodega bay today @ 4:30 drove into 100 degrees by downtown. :eek:

Dr. Eagle
08-08-2004, 07:24 PM
Nice..... you'll be coming back to triple digit temps and little water left in the lake....on the bright side if you fish there is less places for them to hide ;)
It was 61 degrees when left bodega bay today @ 4:30 drove into 100 degrees by downtown. :eek:
Well, there's always the river and the delta... :frown:

NorCal Gameshow
08-08-2004, 07:30 PM
Well, there's always the river and the delta... :frown:
crossing the bridge on I-80 there was plenty of water and only one boat...

JetBoatRich
08-08-2004, 08:07 PM
I get to split my time between Sacramento and So. San Francisco. I hope monday, tuesday in sac... weds in so san fran....then thursday/fri in sac. But i know it'll probably be the opposite.
To Gnarly and others that have commented that I seem to have no life... you were right, but now I will have one again.
AND... I would invite each one of my detractors to get in their car and head 500 miles away from home and pitch a tent in an extended stay hotel or some other lovely place, and work your ass off for 8 months 6 or 7 days a week 10 to 12 hours a day and tell me you'd have a life! Just give that some thought.
It has wound down from that schedule the last month or so... but it was 7 months of hell.
Regardless, I should be seeing so cal in the rear view soon as a place of work... thank goodness! :D
Congratulations :D glad it worked out for you.
By the way, I live the same way each week :mad:

Dr. Eagle
08-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Congratulations :D glad it worked out for you.
By the way, I live the same way each week :mad:
Still? Damn that sucks! I was about to blow a gasket... so it is good it will be coming to an end... sort of anyway.

Kilrtoy
08-08-2004, 08:36 PM
I remember when people went to jail it was called vacation, not work....
Glad you are out now ;)

JetBoatRich
08-09-2004, 03:55 AM
Still? Damn that sucks! I was about to blow a gasket... so it is good it will be coming to an end... sort of anyway.
My job may be keep me on the road for a real long time, a couple of the guys have been up there over 2 years :mad:

gnarley
08-09-2004, 08:27 AM
I hope you are in fact able to get back home and work locally and get a real life back. Not that So. San Francisco is local when you have to work there but if you get to split your time up that helps I would hope. Kudos to you for all your travels and being able to handle it. I would not do it and feel lucky that I never had to travel like that. I hope the money and benefits are worth it.