PDA

View Full Version : GM Tech question

wsuwrhr
04-08-2006, 07:34 AM
My wife's truck is a '00 Vortec 5.3 C1500, it just turned 100K.
Almost like clockwork, the "service engine soon" light came on.
I keep it maintained well, very good emissions still, always gets warmed up, runs perfect, get's good gas mileage, yada, yada, yada.
Basically what could I be in for at the dealer? O2 sensor maybe?
Brian

Daytona100
04-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Find out the code it set and go from there. Free code scan at the autoparts store.

502 JET
04-08-2006, 09:21 AM
This could be as simple as an evap system leak code.If you get gas with the engine running a code will be set as the fuel tank looses pressure.This is a very common problem as I have also seen gas station attendents (Petroleum Extraction Engineers) not fully install the fuel cap and the light comes on.I dont believe the light will go out with out clearing codes with a scanner.Try and get the code or (codes) numbers before going to the dealer.I can look up the info for you and give you some tips if it is not the gas cap.I only charge $10.00 for this simple fix the dealer probably gets a $100.00.I am not shure if the code will go away if you disconnect the battery but GET THE CODES FIRST AND WRITE THEM DOWN. 502 JET

Konabud
04-09-2006, 09:29 AM
It could be something as simple as a mileage tripped message (seeing how it happened like clockwork) to change your serpentine belt or sparkplugs and not something actually wrong. :idea:

wsuwrhr
04-09-2006, 09:41 AM
This could be as simple as an evap system leak code.If you get gas with the engine running a code will be set as the fuel tank looses pressure.This is a very common problem as I have also seen gas station attendents (Petroleum Extraction Engineers) not fully install the fuel cap and the light comes on.I dont believe the light will go out with out clearing codes with a scanner.Try and get the code or (codes) numbers before going to the dealer.I can look up the info for you and give you some tips if it is not the gas cap.I only charge $10.00 for this simple fix the dealer probably gets a $100.00.I am not shure if the code will go away if you disconnect the battery but GET THE CODES FIRST AND WRITE THEM DOWN. 502 JET
ding ding ding
Brian

wsuwrhr
04-09-2006, 09:41 AM
it is a p0442 code

502 JET
04-09-2006, 07:27 PM
(PO442) is defined as an (Evaorotive system small leak) which means it could be your gas cap or a cracked line from the evap soleniod to the fuel tank.Did your wife get gas with the truck running?Check the gas cap and make shure it is fully installed.Did you have the code cleared and has it came back?Let me know if you need more help.I have a full shop manual on my computer for 1983 thru 2005 domestic and import vehicles.

wsuwrhr
04-09-2006, 08:22 PM
(PO442) is defined as an (Evaorotive system small leak) which means it could be your gas cap or a cracked line from the evap soleniod to the fuel tank.Did your wife get gas with the truck running?Check the gas cap and make shure it is fully installed.Did you have the code cleared and has it came back?Let me know if you need more help.I have a full shop manual on my computer for 1983 thru 2005 domestic and import vehicles.
The cap wasn't tight. I tightened it up an filled it with gas, and the light still didn't go out.
How long will it take to reset if that was the problem?
Brian

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-09-2006, 10:11 PM
The cap wasn't tight. I tightened it up an filled it with gas, and the light still didn't go out.
How long will it take to reset if that was the problem?
Brian
Go to autozone and have them clear the code. While your there, by a new gas cap. It will run you $9. I used to work for autozone and I would pull that same code minimum of 10 times a day. Especially on vehicles that "females" drive. Autozone checks and clears codes FREE;)

502 JET
04-10-2006, 10:03 AM
It would best to get the code cleared.I never tried leaving the light go to see if it would go away.It may go away after several drive cycles.If the autoparts store will clear it for free just get it done like 396 said.

DelawareDave
04-10-2006, 11:43 AM
The code will clear after a specific number of start cycles if the fault does not reoccur. I think the number is 20, but don't quote me. Having it cleared is faster and you won't see the annoying light.

JAY4SPEED
04-10-2006, 07:49 PM
From the service manual:
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
The PCM turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
A last test failed, or current DTC, clears when the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
Use a scan tool in order to clear the MIL and the DTC.
Jay

502 JET
04-10-2006, 08:17 PM
I have a scan tool that is why I never waited to see if the light would go out.Were I work we have a fleet of over 500 vehicles and I have only seen one ford crown vic with an actual evap system leak.The code is set when drivers fill up when running or the fuel cap is not on correct.I am sure alot of people get ripped off out there with this simple problem are none the wiser.
WSUWRHR-I am just curious did you call the dealer and see what it would cost for them to look at your truck?

wsuwrhr
04-10-2006, 08:43 PM
WSUWRHR-I am just curious did you call the dealer and see what it would cost for them to look at your truck?
I did not. Probably a $100 fix.
I will take it back to autozone this weekend if the light is still on.
Brian

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-10-2006, 11:05 PM
The code will clear after a specific number of start cycles if the fault does not reoccur. I think the number is 20, but don't quote me. Having it cleared is faster and you won't see the annoying light.
That is correct;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-10-2006, 11:06 PM
I did not. Probably a $100 fix.
I will take it back to autozone this weekend if the light is still on.
Brian
Dont go to the dealer!!!! Thats a rip off!!!!! Go to autozone and clear it;)