PDA

View Full Version : GM Tech question

wsuwrhr
04-08-2006, 07:34 AM
My wife's truck is a '00 Vortec 5.3 C1500, it just turned 100K.
Almost like clockwork, the "service engine soon" light came on.
I keep it maintained well, very good emissions still, always gets warmed up, runs perfect, get's good gas mileage, yada, yada, yada.
Basically what could I be in for at the dealer? O2 sensor maybe?
Brian

Kachina26
04-08-2006, 07:47 AM
My wife's truck is a '00 Vortec 5.3 C1500, it just turned 100K.
Almost like clockwork, the "service engine soon" light came on.
I keep it maintained well, very good emissions still, always gets warmed up, runs perfect, get's good gas mileage, yada, yada, yada.
Basically what could I be in for at the dealer? O2 sensor maybe?
Brian
Go to autozone get the code scanned, DON'T BUY ANYTHING, and tell me what it is.

phxsleek
04-08-2006, 07:59 AM
it could be one of about 200 things...Probably minor if the truck is running good. Being a GM service manager here in Phoenix, I would recomend you take it to a Chevy dealer for a QUALITY diagnosis and repair.
We are constantly fixing indepedant shops repairs. You usually get what you pay for. :)

wsuwrhr
04-08-2006, 07:59 AM
Go to autozone get the code scanned, DON'T BUY ANYTHING, and tell me what it is.
I figured you would chime in.
You quit to go to the train deal right?
How is it going?
Brian

wsuwrhr
04-08-2006, 08:01 AM
it could be one of about 200 things...Probably minor if the truck is running good. Being a GM service manager here in Phoenix, I would recomend you take it to a Chevy dealer for a QUALITY diagnosis and repair.
We are constantly fixing indepedant shops repairs. You usually get what you pay for. :)
No sir,
My dad is a Tech for Chrysler. I know it is expensive, but you get what you pay for.
I wouldn't take it anywhere else than a dealer.
Brian

wsuwrhr
04-08-2006, 08:01 AM
I forgot about the scanner deal, I will do it after she gets back from work at 3:00.
Brian

Kachina26
04-08-2006, 08:06 AM
Couldn't agree more, being a tech for a GM dealer for 15 years, I made alot of money off of Pep Boys diags.
Brian, I love the new gig. I liked what I did before, but the business was getting to be more than I could stand.

maxwedge
04-08-2006, 08:10 AM
I second the Auto Zone freebie. As an F150 owner, my check engine light comes on often. :D On more than one occasion I've found myself fixing what the local Ford dealer mis-diagnosed, or screwed up. IMO if you want it done right...do it yourself... and stay with the Chevy. :)

wsuwrhr
04-08-2006, 08:13 AM
I second the Auto Zone freebie. As an F150 owner, my check engine light comes on often. :D On more than one occasion I've found myself fixing what the local Ford dealer mis-diagnosed, or screwed up. IMO if you want it done right...do it yourself... and stay with the Chevy. :)
As a Dodge lover, one bastard moniker is enough(the Dodges) I could never own a Ford. Well maybe a GT-40.
Brian

Boatcop
04-08-2006, 11:53 AM
The light coming on at a set mileage, say 100,000, looks to me like a service reminder, rather than a trouble indication.
I've had cars set the service engine light when things like O2 sensors were at their scheduled service life.

Kachina26
04-08-2006, 12:12 PM
The light coming on at a set mileage, say 100,000, looks to me like a service reminder, rather than a trouble indication.
I've had cars set the service engine light when things like O2 sensors were at their scheduled service life.
True on some vehicles, but not on this one. BMW is big on that, they usually are a different light than the MIL.

RAMROD
04-08-2006, 01:32 PM
A lot of those lights are so the dealer can screw you on a diagnosis that takes 2 minutes. One of my Dodges, light came on at 30K. Supposed to change the coolant. True, in some cases a dealer might be the place to go, but I have techs and computers that can diagnose a lot of the same things. As in any business you are going to have a few repair shops that give the others a bad name. Working for a dealership doesn't always make you a rocket scientist. Find a good tech and stick with him.

Beer-30
04-08-2006, 03:34 PM
I went ahead and bought a $120 OBD-II scanner from AutoZone. I had a SES light on the '98 dually. Ended up a vapor hose had come off. Put back on and all is well. Plus, I have the scanner for future OBD-II probs.

Dribble
04-08-2006, 03:50 PM
I disagree. Being involved in the business for 30 years in California, it is my opinion that any competent independent shop can diagnose this simple problem. I've seen dealers screw up as many diagnoses as independents.

Fiat48
04-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Disconnect battery. Go to lunch. Reconnect battery. See what happens.

wsuwrhr
04-08-2006, 04:11 PM
OK then,
code is P0442
Evaporative emissions leak.
Says 1 of 2 codes but the scanner only flashed one number. Autozone genius seemed less than enthused that he couldn't sell me a part.
So whatcha got for me?
Brian

wsuwrhr
04-08-2006, 04:12 PM
Did my wife leave the fuel cap off when she gassed up the truck?
Sumbitch is on E. Maybe she hoped I would drive it somewhere.
Brian

mike37
04-08-2006, 04:24 PM
code is P0442 thats telling you you should have bought a Ford

wsuwrhr
04-08-2006, 04:31 PM
code is P0442 thats telling you you should have bought a Ford
Actually I think it is referring to an OLDS, haha.
If she had a F series when we got married, I most certainly would have had an "accident" off the highest mountain around.
I can deal with a Chevy, but it sure mucks up the front of my house.
Brian

mike37
04-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Actually I think it is referring to an OLDS, haha.
If she had a F series when we got married, I most certainly would have had an "accident" off the highest mountain around.
I can deal with a Chevy, but it sure mucks up the front of my house.
Brian
pretty sure thats a get a Ford code but if you want an OLDS go for it just tell your wife thats what the code says to do

Dribble
04-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Disconnect battery. Go to lunch. Reconnect battery. See what happens.
That won't erase a code on an OBD II vehicle.

wsuwrhr
04-08-2006, 04:42 PM
pretty sure thats a get a Ford code but if you want an OLDS go for it just tell your wife thats what the code says to do
Olds 442
Brian

Dribble
04-08-2006, 04:45 PM
OK then,
code is P0442
Evaporative emissions leak.
Says 1 of 2 codes but the scanner only flashed one number. Autozone genius seemed less than enthused that he couldn't sell me a part.
So whatcha got for me?
Brian
Nine times out of ten that code is set by a loose gas cap. Second generation OBD II will thorw a code if it detects a leak of 1/40,000th of an inch. Tighten the gas cap and drive through a complete drive cycle. Cold start to warm up some stop and go over 30 mph. Also the fuel level has to come down to about 1/4 to 3/4 of a tank before the computer will run an evap test again. The light will most likely go off by itself.

Kachina26
04-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Nine times out of ten that code is set by a loose gas cap. Second generation OBD II will thorw a code if it detects a leak of 1/40,000th of an inch. Tighten the gas cap and drive through a complete drive cycle. Cold start to warm up some stop and go over 30 mph. Also the fuel level has to come down to about 1/4 to 3/4 of a tank before the computer will run an evap test again. The light will most likely go off by itself.
most likely gas cap, you can clear the code with the auto zone scanner or, disconnect the battery, touch the negative cable to the positive for 30 seconds and see if it resets. Oh yeah, if you have a locking gas cap, throw it in the trash and get a stock one.

Fiat48
04-08-2006, 04:52 PM
That won't erase a code on an OBD II vehicle.
It does on a Lexus which is OBDII. And it does on a 99 Ford Diesel which is OBDII.

Just Tool'n
04-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Make sure all of your drive cycles are done like Dribble says
If you go back to autozone, have them make sure they check the Readiness Monitors, & that they are all done.

wsuwrhr
04-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Thanks gents,
I love this site
I will do what you suggested and get back here.
Brian

wsuwrhr
04-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Checked the cap, and it was loose. I guess I should have checked it before I went to Autozone
:argue: :argue: :argue:
This site is the best
Brian

Kachina26
04-08-2006, 05:46 PM
Checked the cap, and it was loose. I guess I should have checked it before I went to Autozone
:argue: :argue: :argue:
This site is the best
Brian
$80 please!

wsuwrhr
04-08-2006, 05:48 PM
$80 please!
I threw it at you bud.
Brian

wsuwrhr
04-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Ok filled it up with gas, and started and drove it around for a few trips yesterday and today.
Still has the light on, how long will it take to reset if that is the problem.
Brian

Kachina26
04-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Ok filled it up with gas, and started and drove it around for a few trips yesterday and today.
Brian
I believe it has to pass the P0442 test 2 consecutive trips. It may not run for several days. Just go clear the code at autozone.

dicudmore
04-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Brian
I believe its as long as 40 drive cycles, and like K26 said is only "self-tested" every so often...usually will stay on for SEVERAL days

wsuwrhr
04-09-2006, 08:28 PM
I believe its as long as 40 drive cycles, and like K26 said is only "self-tested" every so often...usually will stay on for SEVERAL days
I can't seem to READ what you say, all I can see is your avatar.
Brian

wsuwrhr
04-09-2006, 08:29 PM
I believe it has to pass the P0442 test 2 consecutive trips. It may not run for several days. Just go clear the code at autozone.
I won't have easy access until the weekend. I'll let it slide and **** with it over next weekend if it is still jacked up.
Brian