PDA

View Full Version : Idle problems, need help.

TheMayor
08-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Ok guys here are my problems and I canÂ’t seem to figure them out. 454 330 HP, Edelbrock 750 CFM #1410, Edelbrock Torker II. The choke is wired open. Motor does not want to idle very well. Over the last few months it has been hard starting, I have to pump it 3 to 4 times and hold the throttle wide open after the motor has sat for while (10 to 20 minutes) after a med to long run. Also, I canÂ’t seem to get the motor to idle well. I have pulled the top off and replaced the needle and sits, accelerator pump plunger. I set the air/fuel mix screw at 1-1/2 open to start, the motor will start but I have to have the idle screw up to 1800 to 1900 rpm to keep the motor running. As I richen it up I can drop the idle down to 1200 rpm, but it seems to run rough and will stall. I snap the throttle and the rpmÂ’s go up, but then they donÂ’t seem to come down right away. After a few seconds the rpm drops back down to 1200 but seems to run ruff and will stall. Does this sound like a carb problem or fuel pressure problem; is a rebuild my only option right now? Please help, CBBB is coming soon.

victorfb
08-08-2004, 11:45 AM
can be a multitude of things. but what comes to mind is your distributor. hows the timing and is the advance mechanical, vacume? how are the springs and wieghts in the advance? compression check?

Screemy1
08-08-2004, 12:44 PM
I would go with Vic, I had my Holly rebuilt and went out Thursday for a fun run and the boat was very disapointing.... I took one look at the dist. and noticed the points looked a little cooked.... Had new points and dwell set.... Yesterday was an absolute blast with no idle problems... looking back, maybe I didn't need a rebuild for the carb... but it is done now so thing are looking great for the rest of this season... knock on wood. :rolleyes: Even if your running with a pointless... Check the Distriuter and timeing....

riverbound
08-08-2004, 12:57 PM
My boat did this same exact thing and it was the carb had vacume leak around the base. I tightened up the nuts that hold the carb and it ran perfect after that. I have a vacume guage in my boat so I knew there was a problem with the vacum.
Ok guys here are my problems and I canÂ’t seem to figure them out. 454 330 HP, Edelbrock 750 CFM #1410, Edelbrock Torker II. The choke is wired open. Motor does not want to idle very well. Over the last few months it has been hard starting, I have to pump it 3 to 4 times and hold the throttle wide open after the motor has sat for while (10 to 20 minutes) after a med to long run. Also, I canÂ’t seem to get the motor to idle well. I have pulled the top off and replaced the needle and sits, accelerator pump plunger. I set the air/fuel mix screw at 1-1/2 open to start, the motor will start but I have to have the idle screw up to 1800 to 1900 rpm to keep the motor running. As I richen it up I can drop the idle down to 1200 rpm, but it seems to run rough and will stall. I snap the throttle and the rpmÂ’s go up, but then they donÂ’t seem to come down right away. After a few seconds the rpm drops back down to 1200 but seems to run ruff and will stall. Does this sound like a carb problem or fuel pressure problem; is a rebuild my only option right now? Please help, CBBB is coming soon.

mickeyfinn
08-08-2004, 04:35 PM
Might check the jets in the primarys. Mine had almost the same problem. Ran good once you got some gas flowing but didn't want to idle. Had to idle at around 1500 or it would stall. The engine is a 402 punched .60 with 12 to 1 pistons. The carb is a Holley 800 double pumper. Guy that works on my carbs said that it was "just running out of gas at idle" so he upsized the jets in the primary and was able to idle it down to around 600 to 800 rpms with no problems. Sounds real good idled that low. Can hear the cam talking.

TheMayor
08-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the ideas. The dist is a MSD with a 6M2 box and is only 4 months old. I will check the springs and weights. I set it up with a gray and light blue springs. Looked for a vacuum leak in the obvious places and could not find one. When replacing the needle and sit, I did find that the carb had some calcium build up.