PDA

View Full Version : Min. amount of spline?

LUVNLIFE
08-08-2004, 04:34 PM
I have an H bar driveshaft that if I run the flywheel shield I can not remove due to not enough clearance. I like to be able to remove to shaft easily for running the boat on the trailer but would also like the safety of the flywheel shield. By my first measurements it seams that I have pretty close to two or more inches of the shaft riding on the splines. I would like to cut the shaft down to be able to remove it, so what is the min amount the shaft should be on the splines? ?Thanks in advance

ARS Marine inc. east
08-08-2004, 04:45 PM
First This is a jet boat correct?
Second, The amount of splines that is needed , The splines should be just as long as the Yoke splines , But in some cases I have run on only about 1.250"
?? Can you run a Lenco Direct shaft??
??Or a Ratchet??

LUVNLIFE
08-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Yes it's a jet boat. Have you had any issues with running just 1.25"? I have owned this boat before and have recently got it back. Before I ran a Lenco,but when I bought it back so much had been changed including the rail kit that I would have to lower the motor to run the Lenco. In the future when I change the motor I will go back to the Lenco because I have the coupler, button and driveshaft. For now I want to get the flywheel shield and driveline cover on for safety and deal with putting the Lenco in when I do an upgrade
later,including motor wiring and realignment of the motor with pump.
I will eventually be running either a pop off or ratchet but at this time undecided and have other things to bring up to par before that investment.

MAXIMUS
08-08-2004, 06:48 PM
Ok life here is the deal. I did the same thing years ago with my yoke. I cut off about an 1" to slide the engine back & make more room. I worked ok but down the road I realized it was taking its toll on the "jet away" splins as well as almost removing all the material out of the inside of the yoke! I was running a stainlees impeller & most likely part of the reason for the increase in wear! I wouldn't recommend doing that unless its the last resort! :)

ARS Marine inc. east
08-08-2004, 06:58 PM
To this day I have not had any problems with Running 1.250"
And as Far as the ratchet or popoff goes .
I preffer the Popoff , But both Combined is Tits.
Evean thow the Popoff does not relieve Fast Enough.
Ratchet is good in case the Motor Takes a $hit. :eek:

Cs19
08-08-2004, 08:06 PM
I think its best to have the maximum amount of engagement on those splines, especially if you have some HP in it.Maybe you need a new flywheel cover to make things easier, from reading your post it sounds like the cover is the problem.The cover I have is small and you could remove the shaft if you needed to.
You dont want to run a lenco on the lake or river, they were not designed for that and get too hot from what I have been told, I have a lenco sitting in my garage if someone needs one.
Same goes for the pop off, its for racing only, not lake use friendly unless its one of those cable operated ones,those may be ok for the river.I actually have one of those in my garage too.
ARS Marine, since your new to the board, why not introduce yourself and tell about boat(s).

LUVNLIFE
08-09-2004, 02:26 AM
The cover I have only sticks out past the flange maybe 1/4 or 1/2" farther than the flange. Do they make more shallow than that? After CBBB i'll prob put the cover on and see what I would need. When I unbolt the driveshaft it only slides back maybe 1/4" or 3/8". I think the shaft is not only fully engaged on the splines but even slips on further toward the yoke when bolted in which might give me some to play with.