PDA

View Full Version : Ford or GMC

NorCalCat
08-08-2004, 04:48 PM
I just got back form driving both the Ford F250 Power Stroke and the GMC 2500 Duramax.
I liked the Ford quite a bit better. Anything I should know before purchading?
Can I still get the chip for the Ford? Anyone have a Ford 6 Lliter Smoker?
All the feedback is appretiated.

riverbound
08-08-2004, 04:58 PM
you can get the edge chip with their attitude module for the 6.0. It allows you to adjust power levels on the fly and includes all the guages in one display (tranny,boost,pyro) I have a buddy that has one on his 6.0 and it works great. If you are going to do exhaust on the truck the 6.0 sounds awesome. makes me want to upgrade form my 7.3 :idea:

NorCalCat
08-08-2004, 09:16 PM
you can get the edge chip with their attitude module for the 6.0. It allows you to adjust power levels on the fly and includes all the guages in one display (tranny,boost,pyro) I have a buddy that has one on his 6.0 and it works great. If you are going to do exhaust on the truck the 6.0 sounds awesome. makes me want to upgrade form my 7.3 :idea:
What kind of increase in HP and tourque will I see from the chip? Is it as dramatic as in the GM?

Ivan Dan
08-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Does anyone know if they make the Edge for the new Dodge Cummins Diesel?

JetBoatRich
08-09-2004, 03:25 AM
I have a 2004, F-350 Dually :D we just hit 30,000 miles no complaints. Pulls great, comfortable.
I believe they are both great trucks and may come down to personal preference, options, style, etc.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/78P7010197-med.JPG

Reaper1
08-09-2004, 07:59 AM
I am a Ford man so I am a little biased. My buddy has the F250 with the 6.0 4WD and he loves it. He has an RBP exhaust that works and sounds well. RBP also makes a power programmer which I am told when installed you can lay tracks with 37" tires.
RBP stands for Rolling Big Power.
His only complaint is that when you punch it off the line it kind of lags. I don't know if this is the norm but he told me the programmer will take care of that.

N2Lake
08-09-2004, 08:21 AM
Ask PHX ATC, I think he has one on his wife's truck.

PHX ATC
08-09-2004, 08:22 AM
They make the Edge EZ, but not the Attitude/Juice combination. Still "in testing" and has been for over a year. Personally, I don't think it's worth the wait, but then again, I'm happy with the EZ...just 2 snaps and it's on.

Rubths
08-09-2004, 01:27 PM
I have an 04 Excursion 4x4 6.0 liter and love the motor tranny combo I also have the Edge with Attitude and a Gibson turbo back exhuast. I love the increased power the Edge gives but do not like the fact I cant use level 4 & 5 becuase it doesnt shift right. If your going to buy and Edge product wait for them to get the programming right before you buy.
BTW the Edge Juice with Attitude on a Ford "does not" tell you tranny temp! It tells boost, EGT and RPM only.

NorCalCat
08-09-2004, 03:37 PM
Is there a big rid difference between the F250 and F350? Not necessary unless hauling in the bed? Correct?

Ziggy
08-11-2004, 01:30 PM
I have a 2000 f350 7.3PSD with 50k on it---not a lick of trouble, drier than a popcorn fart as far as any leaks.
One of my technicians has the 6.0---it is being repurchased by Ford....but in the mean time ford has seemingly solved all the problems he's experienced... he loves the truck even with the leaks/injector problems he's had.

Ziggy
08-11-2004, 01:32 PM
Is there a big rid difference between the F250 and F350? Not necessary unless hauling in the bed? Correct?
I think you would see a fuel mileage increase with the 250 being a lighter frame and all...unless you plan on a heavy cargo load(ie cabover camper) the 250 should suffice.
Oh yeah, and for performance upgrades get ahold of STVKieth--he da man on that stuff.

jackpunx
08-11-2004, 01:54 PM
I have an f250 with B&D exahust, Intake, Quadzilla (undectable computer module) this means NO VOID in warrentee.. 37" tires and 17" rims... It will burn the tires if I want to..
I think if you add it all up... its almost 500hp and about 800 torqe
I love my truck.. no problems.. no complaints.. :D

Jordy
08-11-2004, 05:48 PM
One word for you: Allison. :D

Some Kind Of Monster
08-11-2004, 06:05 PM
I'm a Chevy guy, But as long as it's American!

Jrocket
08-11-2004, 06:33 PM
No diff.Everything is the same except the f-350 has a bigger lift block in the back.

JetBoatRich
08-11-2004, 07:28 PM
One Word for you :rolleyes: FORD

Jordy
08-11-2004, 09:53 PM
gee that was original as well as informative... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JetBoatRich
08-12-2004, 04:58 AM
No offense Jordy, trying to keep with your one word :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:
All in fun of course :cool:

FunOnTheWater
08-12-2004, 05:27 AM
I like both vehicles. :)
I drive a 2000 GMC P/U, just crossed 110,000 miles no problems. It is a realiable work and fun truck.
Real good friend bought a F-250 ford last year, the diesel really gets up and moves. It is comfortable inside and out, he never said a bad thing about it :)

Jordy
08-12-2004, 07:15 AM
No offense Jordy, trying to keep with your one word :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:
All in fun of course :cool:
I'm sure it was. However, at least my one word was a feature that for some would be a deciding fact. You really want to go this route and have your feelings hurt again? Then you can send me more pm's on how I need to be nice to you? I'd suggest you just stay away from my posts, fun or not. ;)

JetBoatRich
08-12-2004, 07:40 AM
Your post, your ***boat and then your internet :argue:
I gave my opinion earlier in thread, no felings hurt :D :D

Jordy
08-12-2004, 07:50 AM
Your post, your ***boat and then your internet :argue:
I gave my opinion earlier in thread, no felings hurt :D :D
JerkOffRich, all I said was my post. If you believe the rest, that's up to you.
And you must have forgotten the little crybaby PM you sent me last time. Seems as though your feelings did get hurt. :cry:
I'm merely making a suggestion to you because in case you haven't noticed I don't like you. You might not remember, but when you were in the market for a truck, you had questions about the differences between the Big Three and the diesels, pro's and con's. Ringing a bell? You even directed it at me directly, saying you know I know alot about them and keep up with who is doing what. So in an attempt to be nice I typed a big long RD style post on all three, non-biased, listing all the pros and cons.
Your response to that was I think I know everything but don't know shit about what I'm talking about. So from that point on I've gone out of my way to avoid you. It's just easier because I truly believe you're one of the biggest ****tards on the boards, so be it, I don't care.
However, when you go out of your way to mock my posts, I'm not going to be nice to you. And when you send me another boo hoo my pussy is bleeding kind of PM, you're going to get the same response you got last time. **** off Rich.
Have a nice day. :boxed:

JetBoatRich
08-12-2004, 08:18 AM
Jordy, thanks you have a nice day as well dick head
I did remeber the thread you were talking about, it was a pretty civil conversation about new trucks, chevy/ford. Good information was given.
Truck Thread (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31893&page=2&pp=25&highlight=truck)

Jordy
08-12-2004, 08:20 AM
That's not the thread I was talking about Phucko. Nice try though. :rolleyes:
Why not just leave it alone?

NorCalCat
08-12-2004, 08:41 AM
Thanks for all the input. I am going with the Ford. Now should it be the F250 or F350? It seems to me for the minimul price difference I should go for the F350...Still not 100% sure.
I drove both over hte weekend and the interior of the GM was nicer, but the motor and ride of the Ford was hands down BETTER. The Ford seemend to have more bottom end as well. :rolleyes:

jackpunx
08-12-2004, 08:46 AM
Thanks for all the input. I am going with the Ford. Now should it be the F250 or F350? It seems to me for the minimul price difference I should go for the F350...Still not 100% sure.
I drove both over hte weekend and the interior of the GM was nicer, but the motor and ride of the Ford was hands down BETTER. The Ford seemend to have more bottom end as well. :rolleyes:
Welll.. I love mine.. and You'll love yours.. Unless you have money to burn.. the 350 is a little more $$$$.. I think the best thing about the 350 is the clearence lights.. other then that.. its the same truck..
good luck
keep us updated

Jordy
08-12-2004, 08:48 AM
I'd check with your insurance guy. I know some companies, at least in Arizona (as well as the state for registration purposes), consider a one ton, be it a 350 or a 3500, a commercial vehicle and therefore the insurance is more. At least that's how it was with my last trucks. They had commercial plates too. My insurance was lower on my new 2500HD than it was on a older Chevy 3500. And he HD has a greater GVWR than the 3500 did. :idea:

JetBoatRich
08-12-2004, 10:43 AM
Jordy may have a good point, on my F-350 we did not have to register it as a commercial vehicle and my insurance was not an issue.
Here is the DMV page that explains the law.
DMV Commercial Vehicle (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/commercial/cvra.htm)

NorCalCat
08-12-2004, 01:00 PM
Jordy may have a good point, on my F-350 we did not have to register it as a commercial vehicle and my insurance was not an issue.
Here is the DMV page that explains the law.
DMV Commercial Vehicle (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/commercial/cvra.htm)
Then the F350 should still be ok.
471. A "pickup truck" is a motor truck with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 11,500 pounds, an unladen weight of less than 8,001 pounds, and which is equipped with an open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length. "Pickup truck" does not include a motor vehicle otherwise meeting the above definition, that is equipped with a bed-mounted storage compartment unit commonly called a "utility body."

Jrocket
08-12-2004, 01:31 PM
Look at it this way,your paying around 900 bucks more for a taller block in the rear and a badge that says 350 on the side.Insurance is the same,but reg might be alittle more.I already went through all of this.I got the 250.
Are you getting an 04 or 05?

NorCalCat
08-12-2004, 01:44 PM
Look at it this way,your paying around 900 bucks more for a taller block in the rear and a badge that says 350 on the side.Insurance is the same,but reg might be alittle more.I already went through all of this.I got the 250.
Are you getting an 04 or 05?
I hear ya. The towing capacity is on ly 200 lbs more. Not worth the extra $$$. I am getting the 04. I am not a fan of the new interior. Looks too toy'ish.
After all, I am adding a lift and all, so it really doesn't matter.
Thanks fo ryour input!

Jrocket
08-12-2004, 02:08 PM
If your adding a lift you almost have no choice but to get an 04,the 05's have complete different suspension and the kits wont be out for quite some time.The front ends on the 05s havent caught up with me yet.Not liking them at all.My 04 is a great truck.The Chevy is also a great truck but I get better deals on the Ford and service work.

NorCalCat
08-12-2004, 02:17 PM
If your adding a lift you almost have no choice but to get an 04,the 05's have complete different suspension and the kits wont be out for quite some time.The front ends on the 05s havent caught up with me yet.Not liking them at all.My 04 is a great truck.The Chevy is also a great truck but I get better deals on the Ford and service work.
Ya, I hear the really only improvement is the independant front end.
Do you know how the Ford compares regarding the rear slipage. GM is claiming that they are the best in the Limitted Slip area. Ford does not have such a devise.

Jrocket
08-12-2004, 02:26 PM
I think Chevy has a better locking rear diff.The Fords Limited slip isnt all that great.You have to remember that these trucks are very nose heavy also.You can put in an aftermarket limited slip that will be alot better than the stocker is.
I wouldnt worry about it though.

NorCalCat
08-12-2004, 02:48 PM
How big of a lift can you put on the Ford without effecting the warranty? Anyone know. I know you can go at least 3"
What about the Edge Juice, chip, does that void warranty?

jackpunx
08-12-2004, 02:52 PM
How big of a lift can you put on the Ford without effecting the warranty? Anyone know. I know you can go at least 3"
What about the Edge Juice, chip, does that void warranty?
Cant add (chip) power unless its undetectable.. the lift is based on who you buy it from... Generaly they say 6"

NorCalCat
08-12-2004, 03:01 PM
Cant add (chip) power unless its undetectable.. the lift is based on who you buy it from... Generaly they say 6"
What kind of chip is undetectable. And what kind of power does it give. Must be a real mild increase. Y/N

jackpunx
08-12-2004, 03:08 PM
What kind of chip is undetectable. And what kind of power does it give. Must be a real mild increase. Y/N
Check this out
http://www.superdutyheadquarters.com/index.htm
I went there and they did all my work..
they put the quadzilla on mine..
with the intake and exahst.. it added up to about 500hp and about 800lbs tqe
It has 3 settings.. I run mine on 70.. I can tow and dont have to worry about the EGT's getting to hot.. and can run around town at 115 hp.. it will light up the 37's :D

Jrocket
08-12-2004, 03:09 PM
Any programmer will void it.Edge,Quadzilla are the best to get.Unplug and basically undetectable.If your not that knowledable with programmers you might want to read up on them and really get familiar before you use one.

Jrocket
08-12-2004, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=jackpunx]
QUOTE]
Thats close,but at the flywheel not the rear wheels.Dont want him to think hes buying Pro Stocker here. LOL :D

jackpunx
08-12-2004, 03:15 PM
[QUOTE=jackpunx]
QUOTE]
Thats close,but at the flywheel not the rear wheels.Dont want him to think hes buying Pro Stocker here. LOL :D
LOL.. yea.... the bottom line.. You will be suprised on how quick and fast that big ol truck is.. when you add the stuff to it..
they left a ton of power on the table..
http://www.superdutyheadquarters.com/quadzillaford60.htm

Jrocket
08-12-2004, 03:21 PM
I ran mine on the dyno.First run put 395HP down and the second was 411HP.I cant remember what the torque was.Seems to me it wasnt correct though.

NorCalCat
08-12-2004, 03:23 PM
Any programmer will void it.Edge,Quadzilla are the best to get.Unplug and basically undetectable.If your not that knowledable with programmers you might want to read up on them and really get familiar before you use one.
What is to know plug and play...Smoke your 37" WOW!

riverbound
08-12-2004, 03:23 PM
In Ca. the F350 will be considered a commercial vehicle and the reg. will be about $200 more a yr. If you are going to put a camper shell on it you can change the reg. to a "automobile" where you dont have to pay the weight fee. Downside is if you get caught without the shell on it is a $400 fine. I went through this on mine and chnaged it to an "automibile" registration because the shell never comes off. All of my F350's were registered as a Commercial vehicle until I found out about this. I don't know if its the same for the 250's because I always spent the extra money for the 350 because they always seemed to have better resale.
I'd check with your insurance guy. I know some companies, at least in Arizona (as well as the state for registration purposes), consider a one ton, be it a 350 or a 3500, a commercial vehicle and therefore the insurance is more. At least that's how it was with my last trucks. They had commercial plates too. My insurance was lower on my new 2500HD than it was on a older Chevy 3500. And he HD has a greater GVWR than the 3500 did. :idea:

jackpunx
08-12-2004, 03:25 PM
the only thing about the quadzilla that I dont like.. is when you have it on the high setting.. it confuses the trannie.. so you can floor it.. you have to be a little gentle.. or it will not shift right away.. I think its some sort of protection dealio.. but it will put your head back.. Im not sure what it feels like with out the exhaust and intake.. but still hauls the mail

jackpunx
08-12-2004, 03:29 PM
What is to know plug and play...Smoke your 37" WOW!
check out that link I sent you.. it has vid of them ... the trucks in the vids have the same mods I made.. you can make do the same thing to your truck..
lift, wheels, tires, back lights, grill, quadzilla, exahst and intake.. and they will through in a couple of shirts too..lol
it was worth it for me to go out there..
PM me if you want more info.. or just call them and ask questions.. then ask them for a recomendation to someone closer to you..
PS.. all installed in 5 hrs

NorCalCat
08-12-2004, 03:29 PM
[QUOTE=jackpunx]
QUOTE]
This si a 6.0 Smoker? Impresive!

jackpunx
08-12-2004, 03:32 PM
Yep..04 powerstroke F250 Long bed crew cab

Three Days Only
08-12-2004, 03:34 PM
I had a 2002 7.3 PSD with the chip, bought a new 2004 6.0 PSD in January, I got 20K miles on it already and not one problem. I left it bone stock and it out tows my older truck hands down.
I have never owned a Dura-Max, so I have no opinion on Chevy's diesel, I have owned other Chevy Trucks and thats why I know have a Ford.
Jeff

Jrocket
08-12-2004, 03:50 PM
Yes 04 4x4 crew cab with 35's.They are plug and play and they not.You need to have somebody show you what it will and wont do before you decide to buy one.Anything over 80hp and the trans doesnt like to learn as fast.I dont care what any manufacture says,the trans learning process is slow...very slow.And if you jumpa round on the hp settings it gets worse.Put it at 70-80hp and leave it.You really need to have a hands on lesson with them before you buy,especially if you have problems with your truck.You need to be very sneaky when it comes to the warranty.They can tell if you have had a programmer but they cant prove it with out the actuall piece as evidence.Some will say different but trust me,they will know if your truck has been making more hp.

H20bug
08-13-2004, 08:50 PM
one more diff between the f-250 & F350 is one rear leaf spring..... check out the dieselstop.com they can answer all your questions period...... for a ford.. I have a F-350 with a the edge etc.......etc.....etc..... 6" lift.. the tires will boil!!!!! :cool: one more thing, they considered my truck(1ton) commericial... and sent the appropriate plates :idea: I live in arizona

NorCalCat
08-23-2004, 09:08 AM
Are there any super chips that will not void the warrantee on the Ford? I am hearing if I instal a chip, all warrantee is void... :rolleyes:
I was thinking specifically about the Juice.

PHX ATC
08-23-2004, 10:26 AM
No.
They will all leave an imprint on the ECM. A savvy dealer that you bring beer and donuts too will look the other way or know how to eliminate the footprints, if they want to help you. Bribery works wonders. Especially if a company rep has to look at the truck.
"Mr. area rep, I don't know how the ECM got fried...there's no evidence of tampering or a black box, the ECM was toast when I looked at it for troubleshooting........." Or something like that.

Jrocket
08-23-2004, 07:22 PM
Are there any super chips that will not void the warrantee on the Ford? I am hearing if I instal a chip, all warrantee is void... :rolleyes:
I was thinking specifically about the Juice.
You said whats there to know,just plug and play.....Like I told you earlier,you really need to know what your getting into when you run a progarmmer or box.Not on how to use it but how to cover your ass when something happens,or just fess up and pay the bill out of your own pocket.
Boxes that are ran inline after the ecm cant be detected,but they can dig in and see that the stock parameters have been gone passed.Sometimes you can play dumb or just tell them you have no idea what there saying and that you just tow really heavy loads alot.Play it by ear.
Now its not just plug and play anymore.

NorCalCat
08-24-2004, 07:57 AM
Now its not just plug and play anymore.
I am learnig that! :notam: