PDA

View Full Version : Havasu Marina at it Again!!!!!!!!!!! Boycotttt

TCHB
08-08-2004, 04:50 PM
High Decibels No Longer Tolerated: Local marina warns boaters to keep noise down
By BRIAN WEDEMEYER
Saturday, August 7, 2004 11:20 PM MDT
News-Herald Photo/L.J. Frink The Lake Havasu Marina is warning boaters to watch their noise levels or risk being ordered off of the lake. State law and the sign - shown in the photo - warns that watercraft emitting sounds in excess of 86 decibels must be muffled. The crackdown on loud boats will begin in mid-September. The law has received much attention among performance boaters, but not so much locally until recently.
A local marina has a message for visiting boaters - keep the noise down or else.
Lake Havasu Marina recently issued a warning to boaters to abide by state laws regarding noise. A sign posted near the launch ramp warns that any watercraft emitting sounds in excess of 86 decibels at 50 feet away or more will be ordered off the lake, and operators will be subject to prosecution.
Jeff Bekkedahl, the marina's general manager, said his staff has asked numerous boaters to install muffling devices in recent years, but there has been no sign of improvement. He said the crackdown would begin after Sept. 15, giving boaters time to address the issue.
"I can't ignore it any longer," Bekkedahl said. "I have to deal with it."
Although the move hasn't received much attention locally, the news has spread quickly throughout the performance boating community through e-mails, chat rooms and even a magazine editorial.
Mike Fenstermaker, a Southern California resident who owns property in Lake Havasu City, said the marina's decision could impact tourism here because it would affect so many boats. The marina is one of three launching facilities here, and Fenstermaker said many performance boat owners prefer not use Windsor Beach State Park or Site Six, where there is less elbow room.
"I think a lot of boaters will just go elsewhere, like Laughlin, Lake Mead or Parker," said Fenstermaker, an application analyst for Boeing.
In addition, Fenstermaker said those boaters who decide to come to Lake Havasu City could create even more congestion at the other two launch ramps.
In California, lawmakers have already decided to crack down on boat noise. The Quiet Waters Act, which goes into effect Jan. 1, calls for tougher measurement and enforcement of noise levels from boats. Instead of 50 feet away, noise meters can be used from within less than five feet. Bluewater Network, an environmentalist group based in San Francisco, sponsored the bill.
"Boats are getting louder and louder, and the noise is just unbearable on a number of lakes," said Sean Smith, a group spokesman. "We want to have a balance that allows for boats on the water, but also protects the resources that people can actually enjoy."
Fenstermaker said he doesn't support the new law, but he and other boaters knew it was coming.
"These groups like Bluewater Network are well organized and well funded," he said. "Boaters can't fight that battle. And the vast majority of boats are not in compliance with the new law."
However, Arizona law still calls for a distance of 50 feet, and Bekkedahl said his staff would measure noise from directly behind a suspicious boat. He said he doesn't have the luxury to measure from 50 feet away with several boats potentially in the same area.
Fenstermaker said the marina should be using Arizona standards when measuring noise. He said an informal boycott of the marina is already underway.
"All we're asking from the marina is fair treatment for all boaters," he said.
Bekkedahl pointed out that boats in the marina would be measured when engines are idling.
"If you can barely idle at 86 decibels, you're certainly not going to stay under 86 at full speed," he said.
The new law also raises more questions about jurisdiction on Lake Havasu and the Colorado River, which serves as the border between Arizona and California. This isn't the only boating law that differs between the two states.
When there is a conflict between state laws, Lt. Randy Johnson of the Mohave County Sheriff's Office said agencies from both sides of the river typically refer to where a vessel is registered when issuing a citation. Officials with the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department could not be reached for comment.
"I can only assume the California agencies will be enforcing the new statutes in the same manner they do other statutes that conflict with Arizona law," Johnson said.
Bekkedahl said the noise level is so bad at times it becomes a safety hazard for both employees and the public.
"Many people using the ramp are already nervous about backing down to the water," he said. "We don't need to compound the problem by introducing a lot of distractions."

Kilrtoy
08-08-2004, 04:58 PM
This is a bad dream coming true.
This tree hugging IDIOTS need to get a life and save themselves.......

TCHB
08-08-2004, 05:02 PM
I think Jeff is doing it for POWER and Control. Keep our money out of the place and only support buisnesses that support the boating public.

Debbolas
08-08-2004, 05:04 PM
They don't own the Nautical as well, do they?
Because the Nautical could really make some money by allowing anyone to launch for a fee.

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-08-2004, 05:06 PM
They don't own the Nautical as well, do they?
Because the Nautical could really make some money by allowing anyone to launch for a fee.
THEY DO ALREADY.. ON BIG WEEKENDS IT IS $ 40.00-$60.00
ooops.. I don't know about regular weekends if they do or not.. :wink:

Debbolas
08-08-2004, 05:10 PM
THEY DO ALREADY.. ON BIG WEEKENDS IT IS $ 40.00-$60.00
ooops.. I don't know about regular weekends if they do or not.. :wink:
you are kidding!?!
$40-60 bucks just to launch?!?! :eek:
Debbolas <-------thinking about sneaking into the Nautical to launch :idea2:

KACHINA KEN
08-08-2004, 05:21 PM
I still can't believe in all our members there isn't one lawyer who will stand up and offer a course of defense for us. This is something worth throwing some money at to defend. The "Bluewater Group" are also the same people who caused the moratorium on PWC's on federal waterways 3-4 years ago. Granted it was in the winter but the fact that they made it happen is scary. If they had their way we would all be in sailboats.
Please, if you know an attorney that boats get him/her on here and maybe we can get an injunction going. I personally would commit up to 2K to this, thats what it would cost to get my boat in compliance with the new ordinance.

SpectraJoel
08-08-2004, 05:22 PM
Too bad this law doesnt really affect the idiots in the bayliners and on the seadoos.
All this is going to accomplish is to keep the hi-perf boaters that have respectable rides, and at least some experience behind the wheel from using that ramp. All the morons that head up for the big weekends with nothing more than a rental boat will still be out there. I believe that this is an attempt to rid the hi-perf boats from clogging up the marina, but not for the NOISE reason cited.
Think about it...how many of you gas up at the marina??? We all know better than to pay the rediculously overpriced prices that the marina charges. The clowns that go up there not knowing, eagerly wait in line to gas up their rides. All that this seems to accomplish is to keep us out so that they asses that are ruining the rest of the lake for us can spend their money at the marina!
FOCK THEM FOCKERS!!!

Duck
08-08-2004, 05:37 PM
Does Jeff the Jerk expect to be deputized to pass out tickets? :idea2: Is the LHPD going to get in bed with the marina checking out every boat launching. :cry: The high block walls certainly do not help the matter and would make being tested there very unfair. I hope he's just trying to find a friendly ear, but should be held back in the end by the need of the cities economics. It's nice to see the boards are getting voice credit.

TCHB
08-08-2004, 06:08 PM
I think Jeff thinks he is Police Chief and Governor all in one!!!!!!!!!!

RiverOtter
08-08-2004, 06:22 PM
I say boycott this Jeff the Jerk guy!!! :mad: :mad: I'm never putting my boat in there!! :mad: :mad: :D

Sleek-Jet
08-08-2004, 06:26 PM
OK, first off the Blue Water network is talking about canoe's when they talk about boats on the lakes.
Why doesn't the perfomrance/recreational boating community have a PAC, everyone else does. There are a few orginizations out there, maybe we should start throwing some money their way (Ok, here's where I get up on my soap box). I belong to a group called The Blue Ribbon Coalition(www.sharetrails.org), who's stated goal is to keep all public lands and waterways open to all the people.
If the law states 50 feet, that's mean 50 feet, not "space permitting". I don't think the marina can prosecute... at least not yet. :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-08-2004, 06:46 PM
they don't let you launch if you don't stay their, anymore :frown:
they let me.. I'm an owner.. :D

Havasu Cig
08-08-2004, 06:55 PM
I think Jeff thinks he is Police Chief and Governor all in one!!!!!!!!!!
I read on another post that his son is a cop with LHPD.
Looks like a pontoon boat is in the future. I will keep my performance boat and alot of my money that would have been spent there in So.Cal. and boating offshore.
Let's see, the Cig uses a few hundred dollars in gas a day to operate, and a pontoon cost maybe 50 bucks. Now lets get into the boats that will not need service out there anymore either...I think you can see that this could have an effect on some businesses out there. But I forgot, Havasu is a self sufficient city now that does not need money that boater bring. :confused:

Bob Hostetter
08-08-2004, 07:09 PM
It is unlikely that boycotting the marina is going to have much of an effect. You can't control what someone does on their own property. You can however effect Lake Havasu City and they can control what happens on private property.
The power of the boycott needs to be aimed at the city and the marina. Then the city will take of the marina

TCHB
08-08-2004, 07:10 PM
Can you imagine how much money would be lost if a big portion of the boaters organized a no show weekend>

Debbolas
08-08-2004, 07:13 PM
Can you imagine how much money would be lost if a big portion of the boaters organized a no show weekend>
To make this work, we would have to co-ordinate as many boaters as we can. Even the ones not on the boards. I wonder if people would cancell or change their vacation plans? Some people only hit Havasu once a year.
What about the people that own land in Havasu? I think they would have a "voice" we don't posses. :idea:

TCHB
08-08-2004, 07:50 PM
It would work if the regulars worked together!

Drunk tank
08-08-2004, 07:53 PM
What about the people that own land in Havasu? I think they would have a "voice" we don't posses. :idea:
Though city politics are something I hate with a passion.... in this case, they can hold alot of weight. If those who have either business interest or homes in LHC started working together and petitioning the city councel and or mayors office, it can be well worth it. Who knows... maybe LHC will create a goverment owned marina. Funny thing I see here... is all this Jeff guy can do is deny you launch and dock privlages. If you want... you could and should be able to idle in the waters of the marina and there isnt shit he can do. If I remember my water laws correctly he can own every single hunk of land around the marina, or river, or lake... or whatever; He has absolutly no claim to public waters. So you can sit there being as loud as you want and he can bitch all he wants...not shit he can do to shut you up or make your vessel go away. May be a little different depending on county/city noise ordinances. I'm not sure how those would affect interstate water ways. :idea: hmmm
if anyone knows better, correct me if I'm wrong. My knowledge is just based on some of the courses I've taken in Enviromental Engineering and Pollution Control.

Debbolas
08-08-2004, 07:56 PM
So we could idle in front of the marina so people wouldn't buy gas there? ;)

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-08-2004, 07:57 PM
do we all need to buzz the tower. :idea: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Debbolas
08-08-2004, 07:57 PM
LOL!!
excellent idea!!! :D

PHX ATC
08-08-2004, 07:58 PM
We should all raft up there from end to end so as not to allow anyone in there to buy gas, goodies, etc. Ya think that would get his attention?
I wonder if we all played our stereos loudly if he'd grab the noisometer and try and nab us for that? :yuk:

PHX ATC
08-08-2004, 07:59 PM
I'm in, when do we start? ;) I've got lots of practice. :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
well we have the loud boat with the loud stereo system.. can we buzz the tower.. :p

Debbolas
We should all raft up there from end to end so as not to allow anyone in there to buy gas, goodies, etc. Ya think that would get his attention?
I wonder if we all played our stereos loudly if he'd grab the noisometer and try and nab us for that? :yuk:
Ok, but we can't drink cause you KNOW he is going to call the cops and they will do the "search for safety" on our boats. :eek:

SpectraJoel
08-08-2004, 08:00 PM
I got a ticket for that in Santa Barbara once!

moneypit
08-08-2004, 08:00 PM
Since when does a gas station/marina owner have the authority to regulate noise levels? Im kinda lost. I really dont wee where in his best interest to even worry. I would expect someone who lives in quiet serene place like Bass Lake or more of an poshier resort to complain, but this is Havasu for god sakes. What are these people nuts?

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-08-2004, 08:01 PM
there are really no houses by the lake.. so who is complaining .... the ducks. :confused:

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-08-2004, 08:19 PM
Those on the boards that know me personally or as an online poster, know this of me - I do not become obnoxious and/or offesnsive. Howevver, I feel I must let my feelings known.
To Jeff: **** You!
very well said..
note to self..always look out for the quiet ones.. :D :eek:

summerlove
08-08-2004, 08:20 PM
very well said..
note to self..always look out for the quiet ones.. :D :eek:
It's the alcohol.... :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-08-2004, 08:22 PM
It's the alcohol.... :D
that's my excuse.. :D :idea:

bordsmnj
08-08-2004, 08:29 PM
we need bumper stickers to state how we boaters feel about noise laws,blue water fags and havasu marina in particuler
or how bout we(meaning anyone with more bvrains then me)start a web site called "F"Jeff@havusu marina . com :D

summerlove
08-08-2004, 08:32 PM
that's my excuse.. :D :idea:
It's been a great day! Don't tell anyone this, but I have not had anything to drink today that wasn't alcoholic! :D

C-2
08-08-2004, 08:40 PM
This topic has been discussed time and time again - with some very good thoughts on how to combat the problem. However, nothing ever seems to materialize. I feel HavasuCig's pain - he has been the biggest proponent of doing something, but since nothing ever gets done, he's probably a little burnt out.
I believe the land itself is owned bythe City of Lake Havasu. The marina owner (Rich McCulloch) has a lease with the city to operate the marina. Somebody suggested a condition of the lease is to provide marina services to the public. If true, this is a starting point.
So, once again, somebody in Lake Havasu needs to check with the city and see if they can find a copy of the lease, and any amendments to it. Alternatievley the lease could be recorded as public record with the mojave county recorder's office. Keep in mind land leases/agreements have lenghty terms; 20-50 years, so the lease could have been recorded years ago.
If a copy of the lease exists or can be found, then it might be appropriate to establish a fund to enage a land use attorney to render a legal opinion about the feasibility of suing the city and the marina to enforce the terms of the lease (again assuming this condition to provide for marina services exists).
IMO, this jeff guy is nothing more than a puppet boy for the city. The city and the blue hairs who run the sailing club are the persons responsible for the shenanigans.
So, who in Lake havasu is willing to drop by city hall (probably the city clerk's office) to ask questions?

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-08-2004, 08:41 PM
It's been a great day! Don't tell anyone this, but I have not had anything to drink today that wasn't alcoholic! :D
LOL!! that could be a good thing.. :D

Huckleberry
08-08-2004, 08:43 PM
Isn't the City's PIO a board member here? Havasuvian, or something like that? He could pull it for us, or do we want to have a city employee doing that?

summerlove
08-08-2004, 08:44 PM
LOL!! that could be a good thing.. :D
shit, I told youj not to twell anyone!

Debbolas
08-08-2004, 08:46 PM
This topic has been discussed time and time again - with some very good thoughts on how to combat the problem. However, nothing ever seems to materialize. I feel HavasuCig's pain - he has been the biggest proponent of doing something, but since nothing ever gets done, he's probably a little burnt out.
I believe the land itself is owned bythe City of Lake Havasu. The marina owner (Rich McCulloch) has a lease with the city to operate the marina. Somebody suggested a condition of the lease is to provide marina services to the public. If true, this is a starting point.
So, once again, somebody in Lake Havasu needs to check with the city and see if they can find a copy of the lease, and any amendments to it. Alternatievley the lease could be recorded as public record with the mojave county recorder's office. Keep in mind land leases/agreements have lenghty terms; 20-50 years, so the lease could have been recorded years ago.
If a copy of the lease exists or can be found, then it might be appropriate to establish a fund to enage a land use attorney to render a legal opinion about the feasibility of suing the city and the marina to enforce the terms of the lease (again assuming this condition to provide for marina services exists).
IMO, this jeff guy is nothing more than a puppet boy for the city. The city and the blue hairs who run the sailing club are the persons responsible for the shenanigans.
So, who in Lake havasu is willing to drop by city hall (probably the city clerk's office) to ask questions?
(typed in caps so Kevin will hear)
PERHAPS HOT BOAT MAG SHOULD DO AN INDEPTH STORY ON THE UNFAIR LAUNCHING TECHNIQUES OF THIS MARINA!!!!
;)

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-08-2004, 09:15 PM
I think so too.. because how are they going to do there right ups on these boats in Havasu if they won't let them on the water,.. or is there some kind of pull for ***boat and the marina.. while testing boats for a right up..
I know when we were in the Magazine we had our boat tested in Havasu.. and the right up they did was awesome.. ;)

C-2
08-08-2004, 09:29 PM
***boat was also kicked of the ramp at their performance trials.
If you read ***boat, then you know Kevin outerspace has already touched on the issue. Personally, I don't have high expectations for the results of his journalistic investigation. In fact he feeds off the info contained on these boards - so any in depth article will probably be nothing more than what is already known.
Powerboat could care less since they test in Parker (and yes, that came from the horses mouth).

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-08-2004, 09:31 PM
well maybe someone needs to speak up like ***boat and help all the boaters that read there magazine out.. :) :cool: plus the people that own land and people that just vacation there..

C-2
08-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Isn't the City's PIO a board member here? Havasuvian, or something like that? He could pull it for us, or do we want to have a city employee doing that?
Jim.
I think it would create a conflict since the potential for litigation exists.
Anybody who has expereince dealing with the city would be preferred, such as a local builder or other familiar face.
The difficult thing about public record documents is finding them. They speak for themselves once found, but getting your hands on the info is the tricky part. They can be lost, misplaced, destroyed or purposely quashed, sometimes it can be a real pain in the arse, which is why they have immediate and punitive remedies available in FOIA requests.

CrazyHippy
08-08-2004, 10:49 PM
Why not do a full blown picket on a busy weekend?? Get all teh people on the boards to voluntarilly give up part of the day boating say 6:30am till noonish, handing out flyers at the enterance to the marina, carrying boycott signs, etc. Let the bayliner owning public know what's going on. I'd be willing to give up a few hours to make a solid point. And handing out flyers in the channel, so no one buys gas, or ice... maybe intercepting boats on the way in from the main lake....
BJH

LakeRacer
08-09-2004, 03:39 AM
Jim.
I think it would create a conflict since the potential for litigation exists.
Anybody who has expereince dealing with the city would be preferred, such as a local builder or other familiar face.
The difficult thing about public record documents is finding them. They speak for themselves once found, but getting your hands on the info is the tricky part. They can be lost, misplaced, destroyed or purposely quashed, sometimes it can be a real pain in the arse, which is why they have immediate and punitive remedies available in FOIA requests.
C2,
Give me a call to remind me and go down to the State Land Department. I've looked it up and the land is leased by the State - not the city. And I believe the PIO even stated once before that the city doesn't own the lease. Hopefully I can get this done in the next couple of days. Once I get the info we'll need a legal opinion on what can be done. Since this was previously asked, I'll ask again...does anyone know a lawyer who will take this case pro bono (is that the right term?) I've got a contact for a lawyer located in Havasu who would probably take the case but that will cost money. Any suggestions.

Huckleberry
08-09-2004, 03:59 AM
Why not do a full blown picket on a busy weekend?? Get all teh people on the boards to voluntarilly give up part of the day boating say 6:30am till noonish, handing out flyers at the enterance to the marina, carrying boycott signs, etc. Let the bayliner owning public know what's going on. I'd be willing to give up a few hours to make a solid point. And handing out flyers in the channel, so no one buys gas, or ice... maybe intercepting boats on the way in from the main lake....
BJH
I think Hippy has a pretty good idea here. Hit em where it counts...IN THE POCKET! Several folks out front of the main entrance with flyers, a boat anchored just outside their gas dock with a big banner and a few PWC's to run flyers (With alternate gas stations listed, of course!) to potential customers enroute to their gas docks, and several board hotties in bikinis walking the channel handing out flyers. This could get some attention folks! Especially if someone drops a call to the local newspapers.

Essex502
08-09-2004, 06:02 AM
I heard the agreement is with the state not the city....I don't know if this is true or not.

BoatPI
08-09-2004, 06:24 AM
If you folks really want to get their attention, a court order is what you truly need. A sort of restraining order, something like. A judge needs to be convinced the operators are interfearing with the publics right to use the leased facility in a fair and unbiased way. Anyone who as witnessed Jeff's alledged unruly behavior, especially in front of children, should testify or provide an affidavit to the court.
The request for a restraining order, or any order might want to include the following;
1. All rules restricting use must be posted in at least five locations in 3" letters.
2. Operators shall not interfear with the navagation of any vessel on LH, direct others or to load their boat due to what is preceived as excessive noise from a vessels exhaust when a safety hazard is not present.
3. Unless an immediate safety hazard exists, not deny paid users the limited daily use of the facility unless a significant safety hazard is present (don't play COP in the marina with a noise reading ear).
4. Clearly post a policy of all marina launch ramp rules.
5. All employees must wear a name tag identifying themselves by name and as employees of the marina.
6. Provide a posted sign where the public is informed of their right to file written comments to the State of Arizona and management of the marina.
:idea:
So...

Essex502
08-09-2004, 06:28 AM
If you folks really want to get their attention, a court order is what you truly need. A sort of restraining order, something like. A judge needs to be convinced the operators are interfearing with the publics right to use the leased facility in a fair and unbiased way. Anyone who as witnessed Jeff's alledged unruly behavior, especially in front of children, should testify or provide an affidavit to the court.
The request for a restraining order, or any order might want to include the following;
1. All rules restricting use must be posted in at least five locations in 3" letters.
2. Operators shall not interfear with the navagation of any vessel on LH, direct others or to load their boat due to what is preceived as excessive noise from a vessels exhaust when a safety hazard is not present.
3. Unless an immediate safety hazard exists, not deny paid users the limited daily use of the facility unless a significant safety hazard is present (don't play COP in the marina with a noise reading ear).
4. Clearly post a policy of all marina launch ramp rules.
5. All employees must wear a name tag identifying themselves by name and as employees of the marina.
6. Provide a posted sign where the public is informed of their right to file written comments to the State of Arizona and management of the marina.
:idea:
So...
Great idea...now we need someone who's a resident to spearhead this. Maybe if we could get a consensus of who's willing to participate in this effort...I would be.

PHX ATC
08-09-2004, 07:13 AM
well we have the loud boat with the loud stereo system.. can we buzz the tower.. :p
Perfect, when do we all start? :)

PHX ATC
08-09-2004, 07:17 AM
PHX ATC, ahhh YOU"RE the one we're buzzzzzing!
Watch the little bouncing landing light!
green light, damn missed again !
Rio>
Let me find my score cards........... :D

uncle larry
08-09-2004, 07:44 AM
Its an election year.. While the marina is a private busines their are many in Havasu who understand and value the $$$$$$ high performance boaters bring to this area.
The local paper.. New Herald.. has a great letters to the editor page....
we need to hear from you guys... Today's News-Herald is published by:
River City Newspapers, LLC
2225 W. Acoma Blvd.
Lake Havasu City,
AZ 86403
Phone: (928) 453-4237
Or I guess we could start an organization to explore what it will take to put in a new marina somewhere in or around Lake Havasu.
Believe me when I say that the majority of the local businesses know their business would not be the same without you the performance boater. Just remember its the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. Talking about this on the forum is one thing but getting it out into the public is what is needed.
Here to help... Let me know

C-2
08-09-2004, 07:54 AM
I heard the agreement is with the state not the city....I don't know if this is true or not.
The Arizona State Land Department could be the owner of the land as well, at least that's what I'm getting.
But wait...breaking news....
In late 2003, a development company boght a large portion of land where body beach/rotary park is located. They have filed an applicaion with the Arizona State Land Department to develop the property into a hotel, 200 slip marina and other stuff named "Diamond Key". Sounds great, but the red tape could take years (hopefully not). It took the nautical six years to receive approvals for their recent expansion, which didn't include any changes to their waterfront.
There is alsoplans for a 100 SFR's on the island, and a second bridge.
Can anybody expand on this, I tried to do a search with the news herald but their search engine sucks. I beleive they ran an article in early 2004.

Havasu Cig
08-09-2004, 08:25 AM
To make this work, we would have to co-ordinate as many boaters as we can. Even the ones not on the boards. I wonder if people would cancell or change their vacation plans? Some people only hit Havasu once a year.
I own a house there and believe me the City does not give a $hit. Most of the time when we go to the city with a problem or question we are treated like outsiders.

Essex502
08-09-2004, 08:32 AM
The city seems to be (to one "outsider" though landowner) an old boys network with the McCulloch family right in the middle of it.
I think what we need to do is form a group to protest the treatment that the Marina gives to the performance boater. But, we do need a "point man" or woman that lives in town and can attend public hearings and do some leg work to find out what the merchants really think. I'd be willing to put in whatever effort is required from long distance and occasional times in LHC but the fact remains we have to organize and get going. If we did HALF as well as the organization for OP6C we'd clobber them! :D

Havasu Cig
08-09-2004, 08:40 AM
I have posted this before...
We inquired about opening another Marina out there a couple years ago. We were told by the City that it would not happen, period. They told us that the Marina has first right of refusal on any other marinas being built and as long as they could provide service for the boaters of LHC the City would not approve another ramp.
The City is a joke. My incle owns a home out there and several properties and does very well for himself with the businesses he owns in So.Cal. He wanted to invest some $$$ in the city in the form of a storage facility. They worked on the deal for at least six month but roadblocks were thrown up in front of him at every corner. He felt that the project was being blocked because he was not a resident of LHC. He finally gave up.
When I wanted to build another garage at my house in LHC I was told that I would need a variance because I am on a corner and the setbacks run right through my side yard. I was told that the City would not give me a variance unless i found the right contractor (read one of the good ol boy network) to do the project.
This is typical of the crap that goes on in LHC. I know the Marina is violating the terms of their lease but I think it would take a court order to change anything.
I would be more than willing to chip in money if a lawyer can be located that will take a case, providing he thinks we have one. I think it will be hard to find one in LHC that would be willing to take the case imo.

Essex502
08-09-2004, 08:42 AM
Its an election year.. While the marina is a private busines their are many in Havasu who understand and value the $$$$$$ high performance boaters bring to this area.
The local paper.. New Herald.. has a great letters to the editor page....
we need to hear from you guys... Today's News-Herald is published by:
River City Newspapers, LLC
2225 W. Acoma Blvd.
Lake Havasu City,
AZ 86403
Phone: (928) 453-4237
Or I guess we could start an organization to explore what it will take to put in a new marina somewhere in or around Lake Havasu.
Believe me when I say that the majority of the local businesses know their business would not be the same without you the performance boater. Just remember its the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. Talking about this on the forum is one thing but getting it out into the public is what is needed.
Here to help... Let me know
Can we post "letters to the editor" via the web or must it be via snail mail? I know the HavasuNews.com has a comment forum of sorts but I doubt that is it read by many.

Essex502
08-09-2004, 08:44 AM
I have posted this before...
We inquired about opening another Marina out there a couple years ago. We were told by the City that it would not happen, period. They told us that the Marina has first right of refusal on any other marinas being built and as long as they could provide service for the boaters of LHC the City would not approve another ramp.
The City is a joke. My incle owns a home out there and several properties and does very well for himself with the businesses he owns in So.Cal. He wanted to invest some $$$ in the city in the form of a storage facility. They worked on the deal for at least six month but roadblocks were thrown up in front of him at every corner. He felt that the project was being blocked because he was not a resident of LHC. He finally gave up.
When I wanted to build another garage at my house in LHC I was told that I would need a variance because I am on a corner and the setbacks run right through my side yard. I was told that the City would not give me a variance unless i found the right contractor (read one of the good ol boy network) to do the project.
This is typical of the crap that goes on in LHC. I know the Marina is violating the terms of their lease but I think it would take a court order to change anything.
I would be more than willing to chip in money if a lawyer can be located that will take a case, providing he thinks we have one. I think it will be hard to find one in LHC that would be willing to take the case imo.
The tough part is that he'd probably lose the local business he does if a local attorney took a case like this.

Havasu Cig
08-09-2004, 08:48 AM
I think you are right and I believe it would be hard to find one that is local to take the case.

WaterBox
08-09-2004, 09:02 AM
Jeff is just a born A-Hole, that hates every body and every thing including his dog, [before it ran away] Don't know about the dog part for sure. But I do know for sure that anybody that has dealt with him in town here says the same thing,[ what a F*C#!ng Prick...] Some people that owns a boat and keeps it in a slip over there, went to a local carpet company to get carpet installed in there boat, Well I guess the carpet installers radio was turned up too high and Dick Head jeff ran them off the property, The owner of the carpet store went over there to find out what was going on and they got into it and jeff ran him off.. The guy is just a WASTE of Protoplasm. His Daddy should have copped him in a hankie.. :yuk:

imbndvs
08-09-2004, 09:08 AM
I am coming into this kind of late so sorry if I am going back a little.
Jeff at the Havasu Marina is a POWER HUNGRY PRICK!!! I have had a boat in a slip in the marina & launched my other boat there for a number of years and had pleanty of dealings with Jeff. I have bent over backwards to be nice to him and he is still a PRICK! Just so everyone knows how he feels he has said to me in person that if it was up to him he would not allow public launching at the marina. He said he can't stand having to deal with the a**holes launching their boats. (HIS WORDS!) He said the marina makes their money on slip rentals and does not care about people launching boats. I only wish there was another marina I could put my pontoon boat in, I would move in a second!!!

Magic34
08-09-2004, 09:20 AM
I wonder if we all played our stereos loudly if he'd grab the noisometer and try and nab us for that? :yuk:[/QUOTE]
Count me in for that!!

C-2
08-09-2004, 09:31 AM
Hell, while he's at it, maybe he should do safety checks and OUI tests. Under this theory I think he would lose if a case could be heard.
A local attorney is not what is needed. A land/zoning use specialists would be ideal. No need to pay a lawyer to research what could be common knowledge to a specialists.

HALLETT BOY
08-09-2004, 09:31 AM
The handwriting is on the wall...we will be required to have mufflers in the future ! everywhere ! I just ordered a new Hallett, with Imco Gatlin mufflers,
looks like I will be all alone at the Marina launching...how sad ! I like the noise just as much as the next guy, but it's not worth the hassle...

Essex502
08-09-2004, 10:17 AM
The handwriting is on the wall...we will be required to have mufflers in the future ! everywhere ! I just ordered a new Hallett, with Imco Gatlin mufflers,
looks like I will be all alone at the Marina launching...how sad ! I like the noise just as much as the next guy, but it's not worth the hassle...
I agree...mufflers will be required but what the Marina is saying is that "Damn the law, we'll enforce our own set of rules". The AZ Law says 86 db-A at 50 GOD DAMN FEET not right behind the boat. You're new boat may not pass the "right behind the boat" Marina test even with mufflers.

Havasu Cig
08-09-2004, 11:53 AM
This is not about noise. Jeff has an agenda to totally banish performance boats from the Marina. I can assure you it will most likely effect your being able to launch there in the future.
Two years ago it was the size of the boat (nothing over 36'). Jeff told me in person that people with big boats are a$$holes. A year later it dropped to 30'. Now Jeff is using the noise issue as a tool to discriminate. He told me he wanted a more family oriented environment which I don't think includes performance boats. My boat has mufflers but I can not launch because of the length. Believe me if you think you will not be effected by this a$$hole, I would bet against it.

LakeRacer
08-09-2004, 02:16 PM
This is not about noise. Jeff has an agenda to totally banish performance boats from the Marina. I can assure you it will most likely effect your being able to launch there in the future.
Two years ago it was the size of the boat (nothing over 36'). Jeff told me in person that people with big boats are a$$holes. A year later it dropped to 30'. Now Jeff is using the noise issue as a tool to discriminate. He told me he wanted a more family oriented environment which I don't think includes performance boats. My boat has mufflers but I can not launch because of the length. Believe me if you think you will not be effected by this a$$hole, I would bet against it.
If you are going to write anyone it should also go to the Arizona State Land Department. I'll post the address and the lease number later.

C-2
08-09-2004, 02:37 PM
If you are going to write anyone it should also go to the Arizona State Land Department. I'll post the address and the lease number later.
Hey, what's up Art!
So you have the lease number, can you score a copy?

TCHB
08-09-2004, 08:38 PM
Again everyone stop spending any money at the marina and pull your boats out of the slips.

LHC30Victory
08-09-2004, 08:47 PM
I am having a hard time understanding why anyone who has read the posts of a few months ago would still consider using the marina!
I agree with Cig that Jeff is trying to eradicate the performance boats from the lake, thus giving rest to the fish there. :)
We, as performance boaters, must unite and find the most effective way of combating this mentality or we will all be in the ocean soon. Ok, so the ocean isn't a bad place for my boat, but I LIKE THE HEAT!

Essex502
08-10-2004, 06:04 AM
We always talk about doing something...who's willing to step up to the plate and do it? Last time around I sent letters to all of the posted peeps and addresses in the posts. What did it accomplish...probably not much but I did get a letter back from the Mayor saying he was the wrong person to write to. Who else is willing to try?