PDA

View Full Version : Squirtcha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the info on the place to get the gelcoat. That is one very intelligent man!! He is down to earth and has killer prices! He has everything from resins to carbon fiber.He even goins into detail on how to set up the products. He will be getting all my future business for sure. A++++ customer service and products.....

1968Droptop
04-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the info on the place to get the gelcoat. A++++ customer service and products.....
396, your the one who gel coated his boat correct ? I've done some checking and from what I understand gel coat just takes a LOT of sanding. It's not rocket science, just a lot of labor. I'd like to know more about what you had to do to re-gel your boat. And how it turned out ?

Wally_Gator
04-08-2006, 10:58 AM
I can chime in here as well.
Having done my boat myself...
Gel lays up with orange peel and that needs to be sanded ALOT.
Anyone here use Duratech high gloss additive yet?
I am about to shoot some gel with the stuff and I hear it reduces orange peel signifigantly.
Walter

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-08-2006, 11:37 AM
396, your the one who gel coated his boat correct ? I've done some checking and from what I understand gel coat just takes a LOT of sanding. It's not rocket science, just a lot of labor. I'd like to know more about what you had to do to re-gel your boat. And how it turned out ?
My boat is origional gel from 87;) 460 jus getn it repainted his boat. Nauti is repainting his boat. My shiznit is o-rig-i-naaaallll :p :p I am going to be gelcoating my bilge area. I will be rolling and brushing it in;) I will post pics as I go along;)

bradbigsley
04-08-2006, 12:39 PM
I am about to shoot some gel with the stuff and I hear it reduces orange peel signifigantly.
Walter
hey gator, hows that big block coming along?

1968Droptop
04-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Walter
So is that the only real drawback, the amount of labor to get it flat ? Can a guy spray it himself at home ? I'm guessing you need a special gun ? I'll look for more posts, I've read some of them. Just trying to learn more about it before I make my decision.
396, about your original gelcoat :yuk: :D :D.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-08-2006, 01:01 PM
Be nice sucka :p :D

SmokinLowriderSS
04-08-2006, 04:43 PM
So is that the only real drawback, the amount of labor to get it flat ? Can a guy spray it himself at home ? I'm guessing you need a special gun ? I'll look for more posts, I've read some of them. Just trying to learn more about it before I make my decision.
I am trying to gel Lowrider (she's been upside down for months now, damn things keep getting in the way) and am buying from Fibreglast. Haven't been able to shoot yet, but hope to within 30 days (again, jeeezzz). You can use a siphon cup gun, or a grav-feed, HVLP equip would be best. It's just tip sizes that must change. I'm going to spray glitterflake too (like the orriginal jewel-flake), and plan on using Fibreglast's High-Gloss Additive to spray with, but will still need the Styrene wax for the last coat of clear. I have to spray red, black, 2 colors of flake (red & silver) and several coats ( I have been advised 4 to 6) of clear to sand with/into.

Squirtcha?
04-08-2006, 11:01 PM
Glad it worked out for ya Michael.

1968Droptop
04-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Be nice sucka :p :D
LOL. I'm just jealous, I wish I still had original gel on my boat :mad: . My buddy Tony still has the original gel on his boat. It's got metal flakes so big you could pick 'em and and throw 'em at someone. It really looks pretty cool, and an extremely tuff finish. That's the main reason I'm thinking about gelling my boat, the durability of it.

Wally_Gator
04-09-2006, 02:36 PM
One can spray themselves..
I got one of the Harbor freight HVLP guns that I can afford to throw away.
Some tips...
1. Test spray and get comfrotable with the application.
2. Be careful of spraying too thin. It really sucks to patch a sandthrough.
3. Styrene Wax can cause discolor to some pigments making a grey look milky.
4. If using an HVLP gun spray no more than two cups before cleaning the gun.
5. Have plenty of acetone or some other solvent handy to clean the gun with.
6. Pulling lines (tape lines) can be tricky... Timing and angle can be difficult.
7. When pulling lines, us a scrap piece of wood to wrap the tape to. Nothing worse than pulling a line and having the tape marr fresh gel.
I will post more as I think about it.
I am just about ready to shoot my boat.. Hopefully next weekend.

Wally_Gator
04-09-2006, 02:37 PM
hey gator, hows that big block coming along?
Really slow at this point. I am getting the boat ready for this year. The BBC is for next seasons project.. Still looing for a good hull to put it in...
I know kind of backwards. But what the hell..