PDA

View Full Version : Perseid Meteor Shower this week

JustMVG
08-08-2004, 10:06 PM
For those of you who like to spend a cool evening with your favorite beverage staring up into the night sky and leaving the posting to those much smater than you or i there is a meteor shower this week, here is some info, went up to the Lake Silverwood area Saturday night and saw a few streaks in the sky, so fill up your glass, put the headphones on turn up the Floyd and just watch a free show provided by Mom Nature. MVG
August has one major meteor shower, the Perseids. The Perseids, one of the most famous showers, peaks during the pre-dawn hours of August 13, but some may be spotted during the period of July 23rd through August 22nd. The Perseids have a peak rate of 65 - 70 meteors per hour, or a rate of better than one per minute on average. Unfortunately the 98% illuminated Moon will virtually destroy the Perseids this year, however nature has given us a small consolation prize. If you view the Moon on the 13th, that bright reddish "star" near the Moon is Mars, the second closest planet to Earth after Venus.
In 2003, you'll probably do a lot better by observing this shower a little earlier. Rather than waiting for the peak, why not try to observe in the hour or two before dawn during the weekend before. The Moon will set, or be very low in the sky, before dawn and you'll stand a good chance of catching some early Perseids. You can also try in the hour before dawn on the 13th. The Moon will offer some interference, but you can still catch the brighter meteors.
Even if you don't get a chance to observe many of these meteors visually, you can listen to them on the WWW courtesy of NASA and the Naval Space Surveillance Radar (NAVSPASUR). The listening will be best during the hours around dawn in Huntsville and in New Mexico. This will be between the hours of 3 AM EDT (2 AM CDT, 1 AM MDT, 12 AM PDT) and 11 AM EDT (10 AM CDT, 9 AM MDT, 8 AM PDT)
You can access these audio streams by clicking the links below. You will need some kind of player to listen to these streams. WinAmp works nicely for this and RealPlayer will work also.

Always_Fresh
08-08-2004, 10:11 PM
good info will do

Spotondl
08-08-2004, 11:57 PM
I have always thought that it would be a bitchen group party to hit Rice Road and head up into the hills, in the middle of nowhere, to watch one of these.... Could be the beginning of a new Burning Man, southwest style....

JustMVG
08-09-2004, 12:50 AM
Rice Road would be cool, but hey right up the street from you is some nice twisty roads that we Sportbike rders love, used to live in Burbank, used to go up in there four wheelin until they put those boulders in to keep us out, and all of the nice shooting spots are gone now too, whats this world coming too, but if take the highway toward Palmdale it gets you far enough away from the city lights to give you a much better sky to look up at, now i have to go up the 15 to Silverwood Lake lookouts turn the music up ice chest full, kids have blankets , wife needs someone to keep her warm too, ahh it 's a pretty good time for a nice evening out. But that, Rice road thing is sounding better and better..... hmmmm the Leonids are coming in November..... Hmmmm thats enough time to get a "shower" party er umm watching event together and get t shirts made... yeah hey kids lets put on a show, lets go Spanky....
Damn i'm tired, Nite all Mike VG

Huckleberry
08-09-2004, 03:39 AM
In 2003, you'll probably do a lot better by observing this shower a little earlier. Rather than waiting for the peak, why not try to observe in the hour or two before dawn during the weekend before.
Is this a typo or old info?

JustMVG
08-09-2004, 06:08 AM
The list says 2003 because it's set up for 03 and 04 i guess i should have pointed that out so here is the link that i have been using, kinda neat
http://www.geocities.com/~starwanderer/meteor.htm
Mike VG

OGShocker
08-09-2004, 06:22 AM
Here is some more information. (http://www.maa.agleia.de/Comet/meteors/showers/perseids.html)
We'll be in LHC this weekend. Looks like a good reason to stay up all night. ;)

JustMVG
08-09-2004, 06:58 AM
LUCKY!!! And then you have to rub it in, J/K of course hope this year's shower is better than last year, saw a few last Saturday, no matter what it's still just relaxing kicked back,literally, fun.
Mike VG OG See you @ the races.
That link you have is the one i was looking for but i can't find it on my favorites, thats a good link. Lots of info for the first timers and the veterans.

Mr.Havasu
08-09-2004, 03:45 PM
Here is some more information. (http://www.maa.agleia.de/Comet/meteors/showers/perseids.html)
We'll be in LHC this weekend. Looks like a good reason to stay up all night. ;)
So is it the 12, 13th or 14th this year? Also the moon should not be a factor at all this time since it was a full moon on the 31st it should be a no moon on the 14th!
I'm thinking the spa on churchill would be a good place to view!

JustMVG
08-09-2004, 04:06 PM
The nights of the 11th and 12th, but after midnight then its the 12th and 13th but thats just the peak time, there will be activity for a few days before and after just not as intense( hoping for a good show this year) saw some this past weekend out of that quadrant so it's looking good for midweek!! :) hope i didn't confuse anyone, the peak activity for the so cal area is after 2 am local until just before sunrise.
Take Care , Mike VG

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-09-2004, 04:15 PM
so we would be able to see them here in LA or should we hit say Havasu.. :D

JustMVG
08-09-2004, 04:19 PM
I guess if you went far enough out of L A to see them and far from the city lights you might as well go to Havasu, if i could i would, but i gotta get the girls to school in the morning, heading up to the silverwood area not bad up there and it's fairly close to home. But floatin on the lake with the tunes playing in the background would be perfect, well near perfect the wife is outta town for a couple of weeks.
MVG

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-09-2004, 04:23 PM
I guess if you went far enough out of L A to see them and far from the city lights you might as well go to Havasu, if i could i would, but i gotta get the girls to school in the morning, heading up to the silverwood area not bad up there and it's fairly close to home. But floatin on the lake with the tunes playing in the background would be perfect, well near perfect the wife is outta town for a couple of weeks.
MVG :idea: how about the beach.. there's not to many light there .. or is there.. shoot.. I don't know.. maybe I'll just get to Havasu some time..

LaveyJet
08-09-2004, 04:35 PM
The nights of the 11th and 12th, but after midnight then its the 12th and 13th but thats just the peak time, there will be activity for a few days before and after just not as intense( hoping for a good show this year) saw some this past weekend out of that quadrant so it's looking good for midweek!! :) hope i didn't confuse anyone, the peak activity for the so cal area is after 2 am local until just before sunrise.
Take Care , Mike VG
It looks like good viewing for CBBB. We're leaving Thursday night and typically arrive in Laughlin around midnight. We take Goffs road, not too much light pollution along that highway. Looking forward to the show.

AZKC
08-09-2004, 06:06 PM
We watched I think it was 3 years ago when it was peaked out and saw over 400 in about 2-3 hours at around 2-3am. One lit the whole yard in this crazy green light. Awsome :cool:

JustMVG
08-09-2004, 07:11 PM
I remember that one that was the Leonids those are coming up in November, that year was great one of the best ever so many at one time, may never see that many again in my lifetime, and if you're at the beach you have to hope there's no Fog.

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-09-2004, 07:17 PM
I remember that one that was the Leonids those are coming up in November, that year was great one of the best ever so many at one time, may never see that many again in my lifetime, and if you're at the beach you have to hope there's no Fog.
thanks.. pray for no fog.. :)

Mr.Havasu
08-11-2004, 03:20 PM
Saw a bunch of meteors this morning around 4:30, should be great tonight!
here is another link
meteor shower (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5663832/?GT1=4529)

Ducatista
08-11-2004, 03:50 PM
Sounds like a cruise up to Table Mountain in Wrightwood is in order....thanks for the info. :cool:

JustMVG
08-11-2004, 03:56 PM
Are you going to be riding up there? I might go for a ride myself on my lowly CBR600F4i.

Ducatista
08-11-2004, 07:22 PM
Well it was a nice thought, but considering I'm still at work tonight with about 4-5 hours of OT still ahead of me, not possible. After 5 hours of sleep tonight and a full shift tomorrow, ridin' up there tomorrow night is unlikely. Frickin' hard disk drives!
Lowly CBR600f4i...........you don't have me fooled. That is a nice bike which provides an inspiring ride for both well-seasoned sport bike aficionados and those setting out to expand the limits of their Super Sport riding abilities.

OGShocker
08-11-2004, 07:27 PM
So is it the 12, 13th or 14th this year? Also the moon should not be a factor at all this time since it was a full moon on the 31st it should be a no moon on the 14th!
I'm thinking the spa on churchill would be a good place to view!
I'm a little slow, I just saw this. :eek:
Will you be bringing "little" John?

Mr.Havasu
08-11-2004, 07:46 PM
I'm a little slow, I just saw this. :eek:
Will you be bringing "little" John?
LOL :D
Just got our NEW spa filled with water and was going to sit in it tonight and watch the meteor show. Well instead we are having a thunder and lightning storm and for some reason I don't think I want to sit in the spa to watch the lightning! :cry:

JustMVG
08-11-2004, 07:55 PM
Well it was a nice thought, but considering I'm still at work tonight with about 4-5 hours of OT still ahead of me, not possible. After 5 hours of sleep tonight and a full shift tomorrow, ridin' up there tomorrow night is unlikely. Frickin' hard disk drives!
Lowly CBR600f4i...........you don't have me fooled. That is a nice bike which provides an inspiring ride for both well-seasoned sport bike aficionados and those setting out to expand the limits of their Super Sport riding abilities.
When one is riding a Ducati, the F4I looks quite the cheaper of the 2, i've been riding since i could walk, and have had alot of fun w the current bike but as always longing for more ooomph, or hp's so i may be getting the 1000RR in the near future, more like Sept. going to keep the 600 for track days, thought about riding up tonight but the chance of slick roads is giving me second thoughts, prolly take the car. Take Care and get some rest.MVG

JustMVG
08-11-2004, 11:01 PM
I'm off to see what i can see, got refreshments, mp3 player for the truck relaxing beach chair, yup i'm good to go Silverwood here's i come. MVG

Ducatista
08-12-2004, 12:03 AM
When one is riding a Ducati, the F4I looks quite the cheaper of the 2, i've been riding since i could walk, and have had alot of fun w the current bike but as always longing for more ooomph, or hp's so i may be getting the 1000RR in the near future, more like Sept. going to keep the 600 for track days, thought about riding up tonight but the chance of slick roads is giving me second thoughts, prolly take the car. Take Care and get some rest.MVG
Well still here working...but the boat needs a fill up so its all good! Yes, keep that baby for the track when you buy another. The new Honda's are really
doing well in AMA Superbike. Earily in the year at Fontana Mladin's gixr was way faster that anyone else. But as the series has progressed the Honda's seem to be the faster of the two now, they really are dialing them in. Zemke & Duhamel are right on Matt's tailpipe. Definately a good way to go. Yea the car would be a good idea, let me know what I missed. :(

JustMVG
08-12-2004, 01:53 AM
Just got back, some nice sized "ball" type with long fire trail, but mostly the usual streak here and there, tomorrow night is supposed to be a better night so i'll go again.
It seems the Honda race guys have tweaked both classes of bikes to perform the way they're supposed to and thats go after Mladin, the guys running a year and a half old bike and still kicking butt look at Zemke, he's been due for awhile, and now he's getting it togethere and Duhamel best be on the lookout, jake is very hot on his heels, bostrom seems to just be going thru the motions he gets a good session a nd falls back the next, the 1000rr still has alot in it, give it time now thats here in the states if we go across the pond things are verrry nice for the 999 set, they're on a tear, and this japanese kid is astounding, typical Japanese too, quiet subdued and ready to kill anything in his way, very focused that kid, i'm 44 i can call him kid. Sorry to go off topic, overall tonights shower was OK tomorrow/tonights shower will be better, Mike VG

MagicMtnDan
08-12-2004, 07:50 AM
I looked up and saw a heavenly body...
http://twister.fashion.free.fr/images/webshots34_3.jpg

JustMVG
08-12-2004, 07:54 AM
Hell if i had seen a heavenly body like that i would have stayed all night, Thanks MMD

Ducatista
08-12-2004, 12:35 PM
Just got back, some nice sized "ball" type with long fire trail, but mostly the usual streak here and there, tomorrow night is supposed to be a better night so i'll go again.
It seems the Honda race guys have tweaked both classes of bikes to perform the way they're supposed to and thats go after Mladin, the guys running a year and a half old bike and still kicking butt look at Zemke, he's been due for awhile, and now he's getting it togethere and Duhamel best be on the lookout, jake is very hot on his heels, bostrom seems to just be going thru the motions he gets a good session a nd falls back the next, the 1000rr still has alot in it, give it time now thats here in the states if we go across the pond things are verrry nice for the 999 set, they're on a tear, and this japanese kid is astounding, typical Japanese too, quiet subdued and ready to kill anything in his way, very focused that kid, i'm 44 i can call him kid. Sorry to go off topic, overall tonights shower was OK tomorrow/tonights shower will be better, Mike VG
Sheesh we got home about the same time. I'm frickin tired. Hell I love that off topic stuff! Did you notice that a Honda(C. Vermeulen) is in second place in SBK(aka:Ducati Superbike)? He swept Laguna in July. I haven't seen anything but a Duc for years in the top 5 in SBK. Yes the new Hondas, Zemke very hot right now, makes for great racing. I have been wanting to add a new Busa to the garage, but the CBR and new ZX10r will get my attention, even though they are apples & oranges. Take care, Bob.

JustMVG
08-12-2004, 01:12 PM
New Sport Rider Mag has a nice story on a turboed 'Busa and whats going into it and what they expect it to do, and i hope the clouds don't mess with the viewing tonight.
The 'Busa is churning out 526hp @25lbs of boost!!!!!

Toomstone
08-12-2004, 01:26 PM
can you see them in orange county??? whats the best time to look for them??? to the east right???

Ducatista
08-12-2004, 03:23 PM
New Sport Rider Mag has a nice story on a turboed 'Busa and whats going into it and what they expect it to do, and i hope the clouds don't mess with the viewing tonight.
The 'Busa is churning out 526hp @25lbs of boost!!!!!
I see that, brought mine in with me to work a couple of days ago, but haven't read that article yet. I'm still on the twin pipes article on the Italian twins. 500+ hp big bucks busa.........nuts! The exhaust looks to be a good foot warmer.......

JustMVG
08-12-2004, 07:58 PM
Toom you'll want to look to the North East, and the best time this year is between 1 and4 am tonight, but there will be lingering just not as many for the next couple of weeks. Good luck, hope you don't have fog or clouds.
Mike VG

JustMVG
08-12-2004, 08:07 PM
I see that, brought mine in with me to work a couple of days ago, but haven't read that article yet. I'm still on the twin pipes article on the Italian twins. 500+ hp big bucks busa.........nuts! The exhaust looks to be a good foot warmer.......
at the very least you'll have to be doing 190 + just to keep your feet cool!
To read about that kind of cash liquidity and to see it used that way is to be hated and admired!! Amazing how you can read and re-read the same article and still find out new and exciting facts or figures, and prices. Now why would you want to spend an evening readin on italian twins hhmmmm nope still can't figger it out :) MVG