PDA

View Full Version : garage floors

NorCal Gameshow
04-08-2006, 10:46 AM
I know this has been run into the ground,but..
strictly DIY...
epoxy coating,
my personal favorite: armstong VCT...
or by far the easiest,clean and throw down some commercial wax on the bare concrete.
What have you done... or, what would you do?

maxwedge
04-08-2006, 10:50 AM
DexronII... Cleans the floor and lubricates it at the same time. :D

YeLLowBoaT
04-08-2006, 10:56 AM
I have used almost every epoxy product out there for clients.... I was unimpressed. Several of them won't let you park a car on them for 2-4 weeks other wise the warrenity is gone. Also there must be nothing on the floor when you aply it. ( and no you can't just skim the floor in web creat... learned that one the hard way)
I personally have carpet in mine. I have a almost endless supply of clean used carpet... so when its dirty I get a new one.

NorCal Gameshow
04-08-2006, 10:56 AM
DexronII... Cleans the floor and lubricates it at the same time. :D
I knew someone who used it on his tires instead of armor-all

NorCal Gameshow
04-08-2006, 10:58 AM
I have used almost every epoxy product out there for clients.... I was unimpressed. Several of them won't let you park a car on them for 2-4 weeks other wise the warrenity is gone. Also there must be nothing on the floor when you aply it. ( and no you can't just skim the floor in web creat... learned that one the hard way)
I personally have carpet in mine. I have a almost endless supply of clean used carpet... so when its dirty I get a new one.
that's an option. indoor/outdoor carpet on the perimeter and vct in the center

mike37
04-08-2006, 11:01 AM
that's an option. indoor/outdoor carpet on the perimeter and vct in the center
whats vct

NorCal Gameshow
04-08-2006, 11:11 AM
whats vct
Mike, it's Vinyl Composition Tile. commonly found on supermarket floors.

mike37
04-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Mike, it's Vinyl Composition Tile. commonly found on supermarket floors.
how do you get it the local flooring places don't have it or thats what they say

YeLLowBoaT
04-08-2006, 11:55 AM
VCT is another very good option...
what do you mean local flooring places don't have it????? are you going to "show rooms" ( ie "retail" home owner) or are you going to supply houses ( Pro)

HefeRaton
04-08-2006, 12:00 PM
Most coatings for garage floors are junk. I do a lot of epoxy floors and there is a product from Tnemec that is the best. You can park on it within 48 hours and dont have to worry about leaving marks. I use this product on hangar floors.

Jim W
04-08-2006, 12:36 PM
A few years ago a bought from Sherwin-Williams, an epoxy floor product that worked great with a quick cure/dry time. I dont remember the part # but could look it up if need be.
It is so hard, my tractor with chains on it didnt chip it one bit. Even spun the chains trying to push something and no problem.
Let me know if you want the part #.
Be good, Jim

mickeyfinn
04-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Most coatings for garage floors are junk. I do a lot of epoxy floors and there is a product from Tnemec that is the best. You can park on it within 48 hours and dont have to worry about leaving marks. I use this product on hangar floors.
If you use the Tnemic product be sure that you go see several installations of the exact material you are purchasing that was installed by the installer you are talking to. Tnemic will sell their product to almost any installer and if they screw it up it is on the installer. If you want to do a garage and be sure it is going to look GREAT I would call stonhard. They only sell to installers they have certified. If you call them and ask to purchase the product directly from them, they will promptly offer to set you up with training to become a certified installer. I have seen tnemic floors that looked great. I have also seen some that looked terrible. I have never seen a bad stonhard installation.
Either way epoxy can be great for a garage, just would not recommend it for a DIY project.

Jim W
04-08-2006, 03:24 PM
A few years ago a bought from Sherwin-Williams, an epoxy floor product that worked great with a quick cure/dry time. I dont remember the part # but could look it up if need be.
It is so hard, my tractor with chains on it didnt chip it one bit. Even spun the chains trying to push something and no problem.
Let me know if you want the part #.
Be good, Jim

BadKachina
04-08-2006, 05:12 PM
Sherwinn Williams ArmorSeal. It's a non water based epoxy with a clear coat over the top. The product is very expensive but you can't damage it. I've had rust spots under my compressor that wipe up with Simple green. Sherwinn said it's about ten times harder than the junk they sell at Home Depot and should out last my concrete.

Roaddogg 4040
04-09-2006, 08:13 AM
The only epoxy that I have used that I like is U-Coat it. I put in a condo that I own six months ago and it still looks like new. Don't know how long it will last though.
Jim W: Please post the info...
Steve

prosthogod
04-09-2006, 08:23 AM
I have used the home depot stuff and U-Coat_it. They both have been very duable but I think the ucoat it is thicker and more durable till now. ~ 3.5 yrs of use. The only marks are where I welded directy on it.

pushnwood
04-09-2006, 09:17 AM
I put VCT in my garage and it has worked out great,looks good,verry durable and it was easy to install. It feels beter to walk on than epoxy also.

Tom Brown
04-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Do any of those coatings work for people who do actual engine work?
I get oil and coolant on my shop floor. I can't change an engine without spilling some coolant and I can't lash a set of valves without getting a small amount of oil on the floor.
Does that stuff wipe off epoxy?
I've been thinking about those interlocking tiles but they would have to be able to come up when I take on a job I know will be messy.

MagicMtnDan
04-09-2006, 09:27 AM
I used the crap in the cans from Home Depot or was it Lowe's? Anyway, it works fine but won't hold up to hot tires sitting on it. Most of my garage floor looks good and some of it looks just OK but whatya expect for cheap? It looks way better than bare concrete. :cool:

NorCal Gameshow
04-09-2006, 09:29 AM
some of the sherman williams products aren't available in cali. . i've seen the u-coat it. good to hear it's holding up so far . Tom, those interlocking tiles are easy to install. but they are loud when you walk on them. kind of like pergo type flooring. as far as the VCT's they hold up to pallet jacks with metal wheels.
like all options prep is the most important part... with the exception being the "race deck" tiles

Tom Brown
04-09-2006, 09:43 AM
... Tom, those interlocking tiles are easy to install. but they are loud when you walk on them...
Thanks. I've never seen them in person, other than in display garages at F1 races but they won't let you go in. :idea:
I guess I'll just stick with the ghettocrete. It's sure great to see a beautiful clean shop with tile or epoxy floor, though.
How about some before and after pics of your shop once you get something laid down, NCG?

YeLLowBoaT
04-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Another option to look at is Oil base paint mixed with "portland" cement. Its a "old school" painters trick, works great. You will have to make a trip to reno to buy the paint( the oil base thats legal in CA just sucks....)
I Use to do that back when I worked for a indust. painting contractor.

Woodster
04-09-2006, 02:10 PM
I do Epoxy coatings and Garage floors for a living..The stuff we use can be parked on within 48 hrs and we guarantee it for 3-5 years depending on what its applied over. PREP is the key to a good epoxy job. If you decide to have it done, make sure they do not use acid to etch your floor..Always diamond grind the floor for the best bond. Ive had my garage done for alomst 5 years now and it still looks great.If you guys have any more questions about just let me know.

Havasu1986
04-09-2006, 04:52 PM
I had my garage done thru Home Depot and could not be more happy. 48 hours later and the cars were back on in the garage and the floor still looks great. I wish the Home Depot in LHC offered this service.

Riverhound
04-09-2006, 06:48 PM
I do Epoxy coatings and Garage floors for a living..The stuff we use can be parked on within 48 hrs and we guarantee it for 3-5 years depending on what its applied over. PREP is the key to a good epoxy job. If you decide to have it done, make sure they do not use acid to etch your floor..Always diamond grind the floor for the best bond. Ive had my garage done for alomst 5 years now and it still looks great.If you guys have any more questions about just let me know.
Woodster, Do you work in the 909? If so PM me your contact info. I have a 2 car garage I want to get done in the near future.

OC Ultra
04-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Called home depot, and they quoted 3 grand for a 3 car garage for the Ultra finish. Seems like they use the same stuff you buy off the shelf, but use a primer and a clear coat. Is this the going rate?

Tom Brown
04-15-2006, 01:17 PM
Another option to look at is Oil base paint mixed with "portland" cement. Its a "old school" painters trick, works great.
I'm going to give this a try. :idea:
Do you prime first?

Woodster
04-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Called home depot, and they quoted 3 grand for a 3 car garage for the Ultra finish. Seems like they use the same stuff you buy off the shelf, but use a primer and a clear coat. Is this the going rate?
Going rate is around $4.50 per sqft. Home Depot subs out the work to a local contractor. You may want to find out what material they are using.

Havasu1986
04-15-2006, 04:08 PM
Going rate is around $4.50 per sqft. Home Depot subs out the work to a local contractor. You may want to find out what material they are using.I went thru H.D. and Rustoleum sends there own crew. They gave us a price of approx. 3.50 sq ft top end with the granite finish look, awesome job. 3 car about $2,500.00

ParkerSteve
04-15-2006, 05:21 PM
latest and the greatest look up Racedeck interlocking plastic tiles. look like
diamond plate and comes in colors. Tits

Woodster
04-15-2006, 06:08 PM
I went thru H.D. and Rustoleum sends there own crew. They gave us a price of approx. 3.50 sq ft top end with the granite finish look, awesome job. 3 car about $2,500.00
Just curious what kind of warranty did they give you?? So they used rustoleum material?? $3.50 a foot is cheap. The material we use is expensive but its the best stuff IMO.

YeLLowBoaT
04-15-2006, 06:22 PM
I'm going to give this a try. :idea:
Do you prime first?
no you don't, it must be clean and acid washed. Its about 1- 3 lbs of cement per gal. it must be mixed VERY well. You must also add about a table spoon of naptha per gal so tha it will dry faster. B4 you go do a garage you better try it out in a small area, once its on its a bitch to get off.( it also takes some work so that you can role it out even.)

Havasu1986
04-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Just curious what kind of warranty did they give you?? So they used rustoleum material?? $3.50 a foot is cheap. The material we use is expensive but its the best stuff IMO.The floor was done by employees of Rustoleum. I think I have a 3 year warranty.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
04-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Yikes!
My Havasu garage floor is only 910 sqft........$4.50 per sqft ??......
Even with my Southern California education I can calculate the cost to be $ 4,100.00...
Damn.....I was thinking about getting it done.....
Hey.....Woodster......Want to come to Havasu for a small vacation ??
Hehe!!
CJG
:idea:

Roaddogg 4040
04-16-2006, 01:36 PM
That is my problem too. 6,000 Sq. Ft. X $4.50=$27,000 YUCK, even for a handsome guy like me!!!
Steve

YeLLowBoaT
04-16-2006, 01:40 PM
You could always get the peel and stick white and black floor tiles... they are about a buck a pop. they are not the best stuff, but they are cheap and ez to do. Just anohter thing that can be done.

Roaddogg 4040
04-16-2006, 04:50 PM
I think that I will just pretend that I have an epoxy floor and it won't cost a cent! Got to get it built first!
Steve

sleekcraft137
04-16-2006, 05:47 PM
Try "Devfloor" by Devoe coatings. Really good stuff!

Roaddogg 4040
04-17-2006, 05:19 PM
I will look it up. Thanks.
Steve

ParkerSteve
04-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Did anyone research Racedeck....2.75 a sq foot, no prep and take it with you when you go. design your own . I'm not a rep, but say good by to paint...

Woodster
04-17-2006, 06:52 PM
Did anyone research Racedeck....2.75 a sq foot, no prep and take it with you when you go. design your own . I'm not a rep, but say good by to paint...
Racedeck is good stuff but it isnt seamless..So when your drip oil on your garage floor it gonna leak through and stain. Epoxy floors are easy maintenance. Spill oil and it wipes right up.

LOWRIVER2
04-21-2006, 07:37 AM
Anyone ever had a concrete floor polished then put a clear sealant over it?
I have a new slab, was wondering if this is possible or just go with a conventional coating.