PDA

View Full Version : ? on Boat Propeller Locks

Troubles No More
08-09-2004, 05:20 PM
I once had a prop stolen from a motel parking lot, so now I will usually removed my prop from the boat if I stay at a hotel/motel each night.
I am looking for some input on prop locks or locking system.
Has anyone had any experience with prop locks? What about durability, corrosion, rust, do they work or is it waste of time?
What do you typically do?

Kilrtoy
08-09-2004, 06:06 PM
have had one for 5 years , Dont know if any one ever tried to steal the prop......

Kachina26
08-09-2004, 06:28 PM
I had one on my old boat and plan to buy one before I leave it out in a parking lot in Laughlin for the Dam Run.

Troubles No More
08-09-2004, 06:34 PM
Do you know the name of the product or model?

BoatFloating
08-09-2004, 07:34 PM
They are Mcgard and I guess they work....mine was never stolen and I didn't have any corrosion problems and had the same one for 6 years.
Prop Locks (http://www.overtons.com/?from=performics)

welk2party
08-09-2004, 07:50 PM
It probably takes almost as long to lock the prop as it does to remove it I think. :idea:

Quality Time
08-09-2004, 07:55 PM
I just received two (keyed-alike) McGard Prop Locks. Haven't installed them yet, but seem very easy to install and should keep the average low-life thief away. My buddy lost a prop with a McGard lock on (Volvo outdrive). They only make so many keys per outdrive manufactured. This info came directly from McGard. If some dipstick with the same key wants your prop kiss it goodbeye. I felt the chance of that happening are very slim so I bit the bullet and got a set.

Troubles No More
08-10-2004, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the info...........

HavasuDreamin'
08-10-2004, 06:19 AM
Make sure to put a wrench on them after each day of use. I have a Cleaver sitting on the bottom of Havasu because of the prop lock. :yuk:

Huckleberry
08-10-2004, 06:19 AM
I had the McGard on my Lavey for years and never lost a prop. But then how would you know if someone tried to steal it anyway? Like was already said, it will deter the average sheithead who is looking to rip off a prop quickly.

Dr. Eagle
08-10-2004, 06:47 AM
I once had a prop stolen from a motel parking lot, so now I will usually removed my prop from the boat if I stay at a hotel/motel each night.
I am looking for some input on prop locks or locking system.
Has anyone had any experience with prop locks? What about durability, corrosion, rust, do they work or is it waste of time?
What do you typically do?
I have a McGard lock on mine... it's still there... :D

voodoomedman
08-10-2004, 09:00 AM
I've got a mcgard. Torque it to 50 and check it every once in a while. I'm also thinking about an outdrive lock.