PDA

View Full Version : Topock fire, new pics

Kachina26
08-09-2004, 07:37 PM
New pix (http://www.goldenshores.net/gsnews/boatfire40801.html) Here are some different shots.

Scream
08-09-2004, 07:42 PM
It sure doesn't look any prettier...That was one hell of a fire...

Debbolas
08-09-2004, 07:50 PM
Wow, excellent pics! Too sad, all that devastation.......... :frown:

Big_Gunz_
08-09-2004, 07:53 PM
that's looks pretty nasty, how many boats were lost in that fire?

Stupid Fast
08-10-2004, 05:11 AM
Wow. That is sad. I just could not imagine what I would feel like if I left my boat there and then came back to see it destroyed like that......I feel for all the people that lost their boats in the fire..... :frown:

Kachina26
08-10-2004, 05:48 AM
that's looks pretty nasty, how many boats were lost in that fire?
Topock - On Sunday morning 8/1 around 10:00 a.m. the Golden Shores Fire Department responded to a boat fire call at the Topock Gorge Marina. Operator Larry McAtee had started his boat and put in reverse to backup to the dock to pickup his wife and friends. McAtee said, "I had it in reverse and the engine was running and it suddenly just exploded." McAtee was the only person on the boat at the time and exited the boat. Then the boat started floating across the water near some other boats which caught on fire. The boat ramp attendant, said that McAtee probably didn't open the engine box to allow the vapors to exit and when the vapors built up, it exploded. For additional help, Golden Shores Fire called for assistance and on the scene were Mohave Valley Fire from Mohave Valley, San Bernardino Fire from Needles, and BLM Fire from Lake Havasu City. BLM Fire was only there in case the fire had spread into the brush and to prevent it from becoming a wild brushfire. Mohave County Sheriff deputies were also on the scene.
Firemen were able to prevent the fire from reaching the gasoline pumps and there were no injuries reported at the scene. Officials said Monday that a total of 18 boats were involved in the fire and 16 boats were destroyed. Seven boats were underwater, nine could be towed, and two had only minor damage. The flames did not spread to the shoreline, and it appeared that the oil and gas from the boats did not spread beyond the marina.