PDA

View Full Version : Southwind slander

Nucking futs
08-09-2004, 10:33 PM
I have been getting many questions as to who we are in reguards to the southwind name.Yes we are related to the owner of jem-craft and as you know made the boats called southwinds.It is true that my grandfather bought the buisness from 2 partners that started southwind in the late 60's and designed the 18.That is the only boat that was not desighned by the second owner Don Jennings (my grampa) and all the other models were designed in house with the exception of a few 23 ft. cruisers and the 18 mini cruiser that was a spectra.My dad worked at southwind and i spent many of days in the shops when i was little and grew up around all the boats being built and seeing the whole process from start to finish.I used to get yelled at by my mom who also worked there for stealing the sugar cubes at the coffee machine.So if anyone wants to dout the fact that we are not who we say we are i dont have a problem talking about it and can prove the facts.We are a family that has been boating for many years ,recreational and in closed course events.I by no means know everything about anything and am up to learn new things and meet new people and talk boats.It is in my blood and it was a sad day when southwind went to a new owner and he could not keep it going for to long,but that was a blessing as the new owner could not have put his love and attention to detail in each and every boat that was sold as my late grandfather did.Yes its true my 20 was built in 1997 and as it was being built my grangfather passed away,and the freind of the family told me to put the southwind name on MY boat as a way of keeping his name alive.The guy that built my hull ,a little about him,He is a hell of a builder and and has been doing it for more than forty years and he did build the southwinds off site for my grandfather and just to clear the fact up,My hull came out of an original southwind mold that the deck had received a few minor changes, but the bottom is still the same and is actually named trophy boats now.The owner of troghy and his name is smily and owns smileys fiberglass in orange.He builds all the new dana 27's and 23's.So here is my story and let me add one last thing here that hot boat would never publish because they dont have time to research each and every boat builder,That with out Don Jennings you people would not have half the stuff out there as the southwind is to the day the most copied boat out there and he was a true pioneer to the industry and helped out other builders in different ways.
Tim

78Southwind
08-09-2004, 10:49 PM
Tim I think the Southwind guys believe I don't know why anyone else wouldn't. Btw put some cool old school pictures up of the original 18’ and the 19’ TD. If you have any pictures from the old Southiwnd in Orange days put em' up.

Petrofied
08-09-2004, 10:55 PM
Well said, Go get'em Tim............. I think Placecraft is a direct result of the southwind tunnel. BTW who's on your ass? Why the post? I hope ya know Mrs.P and I are with you guys in promoting the Southwind name or product. God only knows mine has been good to me!!! Love my tunnel and the wife feels safe in her. ( The boats like an old friend. ) I even have Southwind shirts. :D
MR.P.

XClutchboy725
08-10-2004, 05:24 AM
Nucking Futs,
I don't think anyone on these boards is doubting your heritage. I just personally think you come across a little errogant and harsh. Granted, I don't know you from Adam. But I've been a part of these boards for several years now and i've read a few posts here lately that make you come across that way. I'm not trying to start any drama or anything. I'm just saying I think we can all get along.
We all make a choice to sit at our computer, click on a shortcut somewhere, and log in to these boards because we like interacting with people who share our passion for boating. If you want to be part of it that is great! We would lve to have you. If it isn't a pleasant experience for you, maybe it's time to click on another link?
I'm not telling you to leave! Don't get me wrong. i'm just trying to help you keep it all in perspective. I'm personally a 2nd generation Southwind owner and think we have a lot in common and a lot we could talk about, but I have no desire to get to know you based on what I have seen you post SO FAR. You could change that, but it is up to you...
...sorry everyone, I'll get off my soapbox now.
Jeff out!

FOURQ
08-10-2004, 06:17 AM
Nucking Futs,
I don't think anyone on these boards is doubting your heritage. I just personally think you come across a little errogant and harsh. Granted, I don't know you from Adam. But I've been a part of these boards for several years now and i've read a few posts here lately that make you come across that way. I'm not trying to start any drama or anything. I'm just saying I think we can all get along.
We all make a choice to sit at our computer, click on a shortcut somewhere, and log in to these boards because we like interacting with people who share our passion for boating. If you want to be part of it that is great! We would lve to have you. If it isn't a pleasant experience for you, maybe it's time to click on another link?
I'm not telling you to leave! Don't get me wrong. i'm just trying to help you keep it all in perspective. I'm personally a 2nd generation Southwind owner and think we have a lot in common and a lot we could talk about, but I have no desire to get to know you based on what I have seen you post SO FAR. You could change that, but it is up to you...
...sorry everyone, I'll get off my soapbox now.
Jeff out!
ya my bro does come off a little arogant at times but this post was in regards to a pm i got ( no names ) it wasnt ment to slam anyone or anything like that it was ment to help clarify a few things in question. some pepole wonder who we are and why we THINK we know so much about southwind. we have so many sorrys about the boat buisness its not funny as we all would if we grew up in it. and as far as him saying we wouldnt have lots of stuff if it wernt for our grandpa well its true the loanes he made to lots of pepole to help them keep their buisnesses afloat eliminator is one of the biggest ones he help bail out their are others too........ohh and yes petrofied the placecraft is a direct result of southwind.. the original world record holding going places was a Southwind Tunnel. when my grandpa got out of the buisness he gave the places a mold to modift to do their own r and d on..
hey clutchboy dont we all come acrost arogant at times?sometimes we read posts and dont know the intent of the person sitting behind the keyboard and how much they have had to drink. i think the boards are great but i think there is a little in every post, :)
4Q

XClutchboy725
08-10-2004, 06:34 AM
Cool! Maybe there' some stuff going on that most of us don't see then...
Thanks FourQ for pointing that out. You going to be at the CBBB? Look me up. I'll have a cold one for ya! :D

Nucking futs
08-10-2004, 07:22 AM
I by no means try to come off harsh or arogant,i will be the first one to tell you when i dont know somthing and for those that do know me ,they know i would give them the shirt of my back to try and help them.Yes i do have a hop in my step at times and i only posts facts about southwind boats and dont blow smoke up anyones ass.I was just trying to explain where i come from for a few that have douted my heritage.I like to dish out the BS to my freinds on the boards and i expect to get it back,after all thats what its all about.True some may read into my post a little differently then i was trying to type it out but there are always other factors leading up to it.Xclutch boy,i look forward to talking in person at c3b and and shootin the shit with ya.
Tim

XClutchboy725
08-10-2004, 09:09 AM
I'll have a cold one ready for ya! :)

dmontzsta
08-10-2004, 09:15 AM
I had the opportunity of meeting FourQ, his brother Nuckin Futs and their father at Elsinore. It was a great day! I have been around alot of bullshitters and alot of straight shooters and I can tell you that they know their stuff. They are who they say they are, I can tell they dont BS. They were giving me info about fiberglassing, shooting gel, flooring and I soaked up some good info just in that short time in the water with them. If you get a chance to meet them, you will know what I am talking about.
Hope to see you fellas again, NF: I need one of those ski flags. :)

FOURQ
08-10-2004, 12:26 PM
thanks for the kind words dmontzsta...lookin forward to the c3b cant wait only 3 more days..........:) :)
clutchboy we will have to get together and shoot the shit and toss back some cold ones at the c3b...
4Q

FOURQ
08-10-2004, 02:02 PM
Well said, Go get'em Tim............. I think Placecraft is a direct result of the southwind tunnel. BTW who's on your ass? Why the post? I hope ya know Mrs.P and I are with you guys in promoting the Southwind name or product. God only knows mine has been good to me!!! Love my tunnel and the wife feels safe in her. ( The boats like an old friend. ) I even have Southwind shirts. :D
MR.P.
ya the southwinds are great boats and safe at that!!!!!!!!!!
how the shirts holdin up ? anyone else interested in an original southwind shirt let me know..:)
4Q

dmontzsta
08-10-2004, 02:20 PM
thanks for the kind words dmontzsta...lookin forward to the c3b cant wait only 3 more days..........:) :)
clutchboy we will have to get together and shoot the shit and toss back some cold ones at the c3b...
4Q
no problem, I speak the truth. :) I have been waiting for the end of these 3 days for 2 months.

Brooski
08-10-2004, 02:21 PM
NuckinFuts and FourQ,
You have my complete attention. I owned a 73 Southwind 18' from 91-98. Didnt really want to sell it, but a friend bothered the piss out of me until I sold it to him. Well, the next weekend he sunk it at Nacimiento, and left it there for 4 years! :cry:
When he finally had it brought up, they left it on shore overnight, and someone stole it. Hasnt been seen since. Needless to say, I still regret selling it. But, I finally replaced it with a 76 18' a few months back. It felt so good to get back behind the wheel. They are the best handling jet boats. I scattered the engine and havent fixed it yet, so I will not be bringing it, I will be bringing my Silverado, which is for sale in case you know anyone. I would love to sit with both of you at CB3 and crack a beer and hear some stories about one of the best boats made. I am definitely interested in some shirts, and side decals if there are any available. My brother in law sold his tunnel about 3 years ago. That boat moved!
Roger

78Southwind
08-10-2004, 02:32 PM
ya the southwinds are great boats and safe at that!!!!!!!!!!
how the shirts holdin up ? anyone else interested in an original southwind shirt let me know..:)
4Q
I am interested in an xl and s southwind shirt. How much BTW?

FOURQ
08-10-2004, 04:36 PM
ok guys i only have a limited quanity left i have 1 xl's 3 xxl's and 1 m shirts i have 2 xl's and 1 xxl tanks the price is $20.00 i only had 36 made and am not making any money on the deal thats why they are $20.00.. this is the tunnel logo as seen on the front page of my website if i can get some interest in another run i will do it.. I was over visiting a family friend Paul Basset and he told me he still had one of the original shirts with the 18 on it he threw it to me and said here.i will get pics up soon of it and im thinking thats the next run....man if i knew when i was younger that i would want those shirts now i would not have ruined so many...lol.........I will bring out my remaining shirts to c3b and its first come first serve till im out..
i can get the decals made as well with what ever color you want they are $15 each
4Q

78Southwind
08-10-2004, 07:26 PM
ok guys i only have a limited quanity left i have 1 xl's 3 xxl's and 1 m shirts i have 2 xl's and 1 xxl tanks the price is $20.00 i only had 36 made and am not making any money on the deal thats why they are $20.00.. this is the tunnel logo as seen on the front page of my website if i can get some interest in another run i will do it.. I was over visiting a family friend Paul Basset and he told me he still had one of the original shirts with the 18 on it he threw it to me and said here.i will get pics up soon of it and im thinking thats the next run....man if i knew when i was younger that i would want those shirts now i would not have ruined so many...lol.........I will bring out my remaining shirts to c3b and its first come first serve till im out..
i can get the decals made as well with what ever color you want they are $15 each
4Q
Fourq
check your pm's

FOURQ
08-10-2004, 08:29 PM
back at ya

Brooski
08-10-2004, 09:10 PM
4Q
Definitely interested in at least 1 XL shirt. I will find you at CBBB about the decals. Looking forward to meeting you guys, so much Southwind history.

bigerich
08-10-2004, 10:24 PM
I don't doubt the lineage to the builder of the great 20' Southwind at all. I grew up skiing and baoting in a 1976 model, red and white, to this day, I think it was one of the best looking boats ever! To me, the thing about the Southwind that was so great was its handling, with no fin on our jet, it still would not tail slide like most other jets. An amazing boat!! I still regret the fact that I could not swing $50 a week to buy that boat, 10 years ago...... Now that I know someone can build a new one, it has got me thinking.

78Southwind
08-10-2004, 11:18 PM
I have had my Southwind for over 15 years now and I really haven't driven any other jet besides the Southwind. So you might say I haven't had anything really to compare it to. But I have always heard guys says how well they handle. In fact, I was at Lake Elsinore just a couple of months ago and I had one of my friends with me that has a Hallet v-drive. He pulled me skiing with my Southwind and was very impressed with the handling.

LVjetboy
08-11-2004, 02:00 AM
"ohh and yes petrofied the placecraft is a direct result of southwind.. the original world record holding Going Places was a Southwind Tunnel."
Interesting comment. How do the bottom dimensions of the Southwind Tunnel compare to the "Going Places" Placecraft Tunnel?
jer

flathead
08-11-2004, 06:05 AM
Just a note from an old boat dude!!
I never met your DAD, or GRANDPA, but they were well aquainted with my father, as he was the owner of MELS MESA MARINE in Cost Mesa, Ca. Yes, the SOUTHWIND name ruled back then! Dad refused to let me buy one!! His reason,!! Too fast for you, son. Go figure! I ended up with a 100 mph Carlson Tunnel!! With a damn outboard to boot!! My respect to your Parents and Family, for without them, and you guys, the current generation of Jet boaters would have a lot less to look forward to!!
Looking forward to meeting you! (I hang with PETROFIED)
FLATHEAD!!!

roostwear
08-11-2004, 06:42 AM
I'm sure everyone is now aware of your lineage, but how were you slandered?

Nucking futs
08-11-2004, 07:10 AM
I had some people on the boards here and on our site question our heritage and asking how we thought we knew so much about the boats.I was getting as well as my brother, pm's and emails telling us we were full of shit and why we all the sudden popped up out of nowhere and in a sence bragging about the boats.I dont bragg as i have learned with age it always comes back to bite you. I was at the river a few weeks ago and a few folks were talking shit and looking at my boat and telling me how it was not an original so i just wanted to clear the air to speak.Like i said , i put my pants on one leg at a time like everyone else and i think i am no better than anyone and we started our site as a place for people to come and ask questions and such.
I think i may have been quick to judge a few and i am not like that ,so if i offended anyone ,i would like to say im sorry and just want to put it out there.I know people judge on the way they post but i try not to be a jackass all the time........Tim

Nucking futs
08-11-2004, 07:16 AM
[QUOTE=LVjetboy][i]"
Interesting comment. How do the bottom dimensions of the Southwind Tunnel compare to the "Going Places" Placecraft Tunnel?
The original G.P. was a southwind and all i can say about the differance in design on the bottom is that bill place was "given" a boat to do as he wished and the result is now placecraft.We made some bottom mods to the southwind that made it alot faster and im sure the places made more as there boat is a very good offspring of the southwind.
Tim

Brooski
08-11-2004, 10:10 AM
About 10 or so years ago, I went to a Placecraft boat shop with a friend of mine, and met a guy who said his molds were the former southwind mold. I dont know if it was Bill Place or not. He told me that he made a change to the length of the rear protrusion of the 19' tunnel, where the jet sticks out. Hope that helps a little.

LVjetboy
08-12-2004, 12:42 AM
The SW tunnels I've seen have much shallower tunnels than PC. I've posted this before but here's some rough PC dimensions...
http://members.cox.net/lvjetboy/PCProfile.jpg
Does anyone have SW dimensions? How close do they compare to the PC and what would changes like deeper tunnels do?
jer

Petrofied
08-12-2004, 12:54 AM
The SW tunnels I've seen have much shallower tunnels than PC. I've posted this before but here's some rough PC dimensions...
http://members.cox.net/lvjetboy/PCProfile.jpg
Does anyone have SW dimensions? How close do they compare to the PC and what would changes like deeper tunnels do?
jerHere is a picture of my drop keel and air-trap...... :devil: http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4864&stc=1

LVjetboy
08-12-2004, 01:29 AM
Is your's different than Bp's?
jer

UBFJ #454
08-12-2004, 05:32 AM
jer -
Deeper tunnels at the rear causes more lift at higher speeds. At speeds exceeding say something like 100+ mph, this typically results in the intake being lifted out of the water and loss of intake pressure ... Typical Solution, use of Dropped Keel.

Danhercules
08-12-2004, 08:28 PM
why we all the sudden popped up out of nowhere
If I remeber right, I think I am the one that got Tim on here, and CBBB. I showed him some pics of my boat on the CBBB website and some stuff here on Hot Boat. I may be wrong, but I think thats why they are here now. Tim is great guy to know. Heck, he was workin on my boat while I am here stuck in the Bay area. He is one hell of a boater.
Thats all I have to say about that.

Squirtcha?
08-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Heck, he was workin on my boat while I am here stuck in the Bay area. He is one hell of a boater.
So did ya get er going hoss?

wsuwrhr
08-12-2004, 08:40 PM
Just so you guys know, I machine my own parts.
Brian

jetheaven.us
08-12-2004, 08:43 PM
I have had my 79 Southwind for 5 years now and I have gone through a lot of engines in it. Even with a stock engine the jet would fly. We now have a blown engine in it an am excited in what she will do.
http://www.jetheaven.us/photopost/data/500/46p1010018.jpg
Shane
jetheaven.us

HotRod Sprint
08-12-2004, 08:52 PM
I have had my 79 Southwind for 5 years now and I have gone through a lot of engines in it. Even with a stock engine the jet would fly. We now have a blown engine in it an am excited in what she will do.
http://www.jetheaven.us/photopost/data/500/46p1010018.jpg
Shane
jetheaven.us
Shane, that SW is beautiful. Who did the color? Look forward to seeing it on Fri. Nights...even though I know I'll get SMOKED.
Rod

Squirtcha?
08-12-2004, 09:02 PM
Shane
I never noticed you didn't have a guard on that blower belt. Probably better get one on there. Wouldn't be pretty should that belt come off there!
Erin will be doing one of these on your noodle. :hammerhea

jetheaven.us
08-12-2004, 09:11 PM
It is in the works. I am in the process of designing one from scratch. I will probably have it water jetted.
Shane

jetheaven.us
08-12-2004, 09:12 PM
The paint was done by Paint By Steve from paintbysteve.com
The guy is amazing and has awsome prices.
Shane

FOURQ
08-12-2004, 09:36 PM
Is your's different than Bp's?
jer
yes bp,s i belive is stock like mine..i am going to flip mine this winter and do some bottom mods first thing is drop the outsides im going wider and deeper than petrofides like the placecraft it helps and works when my dad first did it it worked like a charm thats why that 500 hp bbc pushed that thing 103. not to mention the hardware he was running hell that alone gave him 20 mph....
jer we will have to get together and bs at c3b
4Q

Nucking futs
08-12-2004, 09:51 PM
Um,I dont think Bp's bottom is original,lets let him talk about his boat if he sees fit.I wont talk about anyones boat i havent seen .

UBFJ #454
08-13-2004, 11:50 AM
bp's boat's bottom (keel) was modified for racing by Jeff Bennett ... Definately "Not Stock" ..... Ask him what Jeff did and how well Jeff's modifications worked.

bp
08-14-2004, 07:33 AM
i dunno if i like this new format or not. i just got used to the smilys on the other side... :cool:
the bottom of my swtd is very close to stock, only cleaned up a bit. center sponson, pod, tunnels, and outter sponsons are all original design.
my boat is an '80 that was raced for the first 7 years of it's existance, then stored for 7 years before it was purchased by the second owner to make a river boat out of. he tossed something together, ran it for a year and sold it. second owner had ot for about 10 months, then sold it to me. the hull was good, and it ran ok, but there were a lot of little things that needed attention.
the original owner had a 5 degree low profile intake installed (can't remember the name of that store, they were in azusa and did a lot of rigging 25-30 years ago?). in 1984, MPD blueprinted the pump for the original owner, installed the berk B that i believe is now in some blue boat somewhere.
the bottom was always original.
jeff sanded, straightened things, and cleaned up the transition from the center sponson to the intake. spent a lot of time on that area, and although the changes were very subtle to the eye, they made a big difference. basically, there was a bump in that transition, and it's now a very clean slope. he also cut down the fins and cleaned them up.
other than those things, the bottom is original design. we made up some air dams, and the hardware to install them, but after pondering over it many nights in the garage staring at the thing, i just didn't want to run them; too many opportunitys to smash them going on and off the trailer. the other thing is, i'm able to do what i want to do without them. as jim brock always tells me, i've got a cadilac ride, so why mess with it?
jer, if you recall, bill place won several top fuel championships with an swtd
before he ever built a placecraft. not taking anything away from placecrafts because they are great boats, but the swtd IS the original..
bp
"Abracadabra" 298
2002, 2003 njba 10sec hipoints champion
2004 nitro nationals mod eliminator champion
working on 2004 njba 10 sec championship
the southwind tunnel dragster still works..