PDA

View Full Version : Droop

JET-O-VATOR
08-10-2004, 09:11 AM
Can You Run A Droop With A Jet-o-vator ( Not A Place Diverter) It Doesnt Look Like It Will Work Because Of All The Linkage Involved It A Jet-o-vator........ I Want To Try One To See If It Will Get Me More Out Of The Water

Taylorman
08-10-2004, 10:58 AM
I don't know about a droop but i know a jet o vator wont work on a split bowl.

JET-O-VATOR
08-10-2004, 12:54 PM
B.s It Works Great I Have One .. It Only Works On A Split Bowl.....

Squirtcha?
08-10-2004, 01:18 PM
Jetovaters will work with a split bowl. You just have to rotate the part with the pins holes in it by 90 degrees. Unfortunately they won't work with a droop. That's why I sold my jetovator and bought a PD unit.
Actually, you can run a jetovator on a non-split bowl pump (Berk JC), but you have to remove, and rotate the entire bowl 90 degrees so the pin holes are running side to side rather than up and down. This unfortunately puts your filler holes for the bowl lube sideways too. With all the other diverters the steering knuckle is first in line (pins vertical), then the diverter. With a jetovator it's vice versa (pins horizontal).
If you were to do a Berk JC pump this way.................you wouldn't be the first.
Can't be done with a droop for obvious reasons. Pins are all vertical on a droop, or snoot. Rotating the droop 90 degrees wouldn't work out so well.

Taylorman
08-11-2004, 06:27 AM
Jetovaters will work with a split bowl. You just have to rotate the part with the pins holes in it by 90 degrees. Unfortunately they won't work with a droop. That's why I sold my jetovator and bought a PD unit.
Actually, you can run a jetovator on a non-split bowl pump (Berk JC), but you have to remove, and rotate the entire bowl 90 degrees so the pin holes are running side to side rather than up and down. This unfortunately puts your filler holes for the bowl lube sideways too. With all the other diverters the steering knuckle is first in line (pins vertical), then the diverter. With a jetovator it's vice versa (pins horizontal).
If you were to do a Berk JC pump this way.................you wouldn't be the first.
Can't be done with a droop for obvious reasons. Pins are all vertical on a droop, or snoot. Rotating the droop 90 degrees wouldn't work out so well.
I had a jet o vator on a non split bowl on my e pump and it worked fine. I bought a split bowl with nozzle adapter and the linkage would not allow the nozzle to turn all the way left and right. I did not have to turn the non split bowl 90 degrees to make it work. I don't understand why you would have to turn the bowl to make it work. Can you explain.

Oldsquirt
08-11-2004, 07:40 AM
I had a jet o vator on a non split bowl on my e pump and it worked fine. I bought a split bowl with nozzle adapter and the linkage would not allow the nozzle to turn all the way left and right. I did not have to turn the non split bowl 90 degrees to make it work. I don't understand why you would have to turn the bowl to make it work. Can you explain.
Kevin, I've known plenty of people who have had Jet-o-Vators on split bowls.
The element of a Jet-O-Vator that connects to the bowl is the "trim" element. Since it pivots up/down, the pin bosses on the bowl must be oriented horizontally. It doesn't matter whether it is a one-piece bowl or a split bowl. This is the reason a Jet-O-Vator wont work on a droop, as the droop's pin bosses are vertical and the droop cant be rotated.
I suspect that what you actually had was the JF-style nozzle. It uses an odd looking "yoke" setup to provide both steering and trim function with only one "element" as opposed to the two "elements" of a Jet-O-Vator or diverter. The pin bosses on the JF are oriented vertically.
Did it look like this?
http://www.cpperformance.com/images/main/AA-BERKEL~8.JPG

Squirtcha?
08-11-2004, 07:42 AM
The pin holes on a Berk JC are oriented up and down for the steering of the nozzle. The jetovator needs to have it's pins side to side or horizontal because the diverter (up and down) is first in line, then the steering.
If I had a picture of a JC bowl and jetovator/Place Diverter, you'd see it right away.

Taylorman
08-11-2004, 08:05 AM
This is what i had.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/161DCP_3440-med.JPG
My pins were vertical on the bowl. When i tried to install it on a split bowl. The linkage would not allow it to turn full left or right.
Hey Squitcha. What differences did you notice when you went from the jet o vator to your place? My jet o vator threw one nice looking rooster tail but i want to add a droop and hyd diverter so im going to a place. Just wondering what your observations were between the two.

Oldsquirt
08-11-2004, 08:11 AM
Kevin, that is indeed a JF nozzle, not the "Jet-O-Vator" that is most commonly talked about.

Taylorman
08-11-2004, 08:26 AM
Kevin, that is indeed a JF nozzle, not the "Jet-O-Vator" that is most commonly talked about.
Wow i never new that. You got a picture of the jet o vator?

MarKist
08-11-2004, 08:26 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1164IM000349-med.JPG
here's a JG split bowl W/ jetovater !works great :D
Markist

Squirtcha?
08-11-2004, 08:30 AM
This is what i had.
Hey Squitcha. What differences did you notice when you went from the jet o vator to your place? My jet o vator threw one nice looking rooster tail but i want to add a droop and hyd diverter so im going to a place. Just wondering what your observations were between the two.
Smaller roostertail with the Place unit for sure. Other than that, really no difference

Taylorman
08-11-2004, 08:33 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1164IM000349-med.JPG
here's a JG split bowl W/ jetovater !works great :D
Markist
Thanks.
Hey Markist, you don't have oil in your bowl.

mgar_red
08-11-2004, 08:51 AM
Here's a pic of a Berkeley Jetovator nozzle by itself to give you a better perspective of how it would need to be mounted. Slot Racer has this posted in his image gallery.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1176jetovator.jpg

Taylorman
08-11-2004, 10:36 AM
Interesting. I never knew that what i had was not really a jet o vator.

Brian Ray
08-11-2004, 11:13 AM
btw, how much oil do you put in the bowl. I took the allen head bolt on the bottom out on the bowl and nothing really came except for some water. :confused: I then took off the top allen bolt and proceeded to put in 90 wt. gear oil. It didn't seem to take a lot....
Sorry for hijacking the tread.... ;)
btw, I have a jet-o-vator on a non-split bowl pump and it works with no problems. :)

Squirtcha?
08-11-2004, 01:51 PM
Here's a pic of a Berkeley Jetovator nozzle by itself to give you a better perspective of how it would need to be mounted. Slot Racer has this posted in his image gallery.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1176jetovator.jpg
Ha ha that's funny..................I think that's my old jetovator. I sold it to Pat last year.

1tricky1
08-11-2004, 07:24 PM
Interesting. I never knew that what i had was not really a jet o vator.
Here's what I have learned in doing some research on these different types of Berkeleys. You may be right in saying the JF's trimming device was not called a Jet o vator. It appears it was labeled just that " a special trimming device". If you needed to replace the JF nozzle, or any other JF trimming parts, I don't believe "jet o vater" nozzle or parts will work. The JF pump is essentially a JE pump with a "trimming device". The JF pump has different steering linkage than a JE due to the "trimming device". The JF, JE and JC bowl steering bosses are in the vertical position. This is why you can just bolt up a Place Diverter without rotating the bowl. If you want to bolt up a "Jetovator" this is when you have to rotate the bowl as you can see by mgar_red's post. If you look at the picture posted by Oldsquirt you can see the "odd yoke" he's referring to. That yoke has bosses horizontal for the "special trimming device" to pivot on and the vertical bosses are for steering. Since the Place up and down movement is engineered differently, (without bosses) you can bolt it up to just about any Berkeley bowl. Did I confuse anyone? :confused: :jawdrop:

MarKist
08-11-2004, 07:44 PM
hell nowl ! :rolleyes:who the hell runs that shit!! :D :D
MarKist

1tricky1
08-11-2004, 08:01 PM
hell nowl ! :rolleyes:who the hell runs that shit!! :D :D
MarKist
What the hell does "hell nowl" mean???

mgar_red
08-12-2004, 12:37 AM
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to throw a roo. Actually, when the checkbook isn't as healthy as I'd like it to be, shopping around for an alternative is necessary. Put this F setup on my E with only having to space the cable clamp position. Don't ask, I was tired and improvised.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1176pump4.jpg
But while I was looking around, I got a response from a guy who said he had a Berkeley diverter and asked if I was able to use it. I'd never seen one like this before. Would any of you know how this goes or what allows the up/down travel with the four bolted arm? I just can't picture any movement with the rear pins/bolts in a verticle design.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1176div.jpg

1tricky1
08-12-2004, 08:52 AM
[QUOTE=mgar_red]Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to throw a roo. Actually, when the checkbook isn't as healthy as I'd like it to be, shopping around for an alternative is necessary. Put this F setup on my E with only having to space the cable clamp position. Don't ask, I was tired and improvised.
Looks like you did a pretty good job! And now your a Roo-ster :D
It looks like your missing the "F" steering extension. That extension also has a location on it to mount the cable. But hey, nice improv :D
That other diverter is pretty weird looking. It looks like the up and down movement comes via a ball and socket somehow controlled by those arms coming off the middle housing. But how the heck does it stay straight? Looks like a freakin experiment gone wrong :confused:

MarKist
08-12-2004, 07:15 PM
What the hell does "hell nowl" mean???it means HELL NO!for all you northern folk!a buddy of mine used tosay that all the time before he past!thought it was funny like "I was siffing I could make you laugh ! :cool:
MarKist

wet77
08-13-2004, 05:01 AM
The old diverter works on a berk JC pump
The big bolts go through the pivit points (vertical holes on bowl) and there are to smaller bolts that go through the sides stopping it from turning, you can see one of the tapped holes by the black o-ring on the diverter.
The 4-bolt arm is your diverter up down and was controlled by a electric type berkley trim box. Also has a ball or heim joint attached to it. (Solid arm from control box)
The tiller arm is your stearing and the reverse gate works the same as stock.
That diverter has an extreme amount of up and down movement compared to a stock jetovater or a place diverter.
Probably does not flow the best but for someone who has a cruiser and wants that rooster its the cheap way to go ;)