PDA

View Full Version : Cavitation Plate Problems Need Help Fast

sifocalpoint
08-10-2004, 06:46 PM
My dad just put together his howard flatbottom with a blown 468, The boat is insanely fast and ran great first time out (normally we are tuning for days)
The problem is.. The cavitation plate control handle has no affect on how the boat is moving through the water, i left it set in one position and drove it then moved it both ways and the nose of the boat stayed at the same height and didnt move. The plate is only moving a real little bit but i hear thats all it takes.. This is my idea of the problem
When installing and making adjustments where should the control handle be (theres no pedal) just a handle that moves towards the front and back with different holes to position it. (i will run the level across the flatbottom onto the cavitation plate itself)
1.should the plate be level with the bottom of the boat with the handle in the midpoint setting
2. should the plate be level with the handle all the way back,
3. or should the plate be level with the handle all the way forward
Also i heard something about the edges of the plate being moved up some??
If so do i just adjust the burnbuckles a little bit??
PLEASE HELP!!
Thanks Guys

superdave013
08-10-2004, 06:56 PM
With out a down pedal over ride system you will never get the boat to set correctly with any kind of power.

sifocalpoint
08-10-2004, 07:02 PM
Im new to this, why is this, and how does the pedal help this, im restoring a schiada flatbottom 1971 and i ordered a pedal setup for it, its just a downpedal
In the howard when i kicked it down it was pulling hard to the right and squirrely, with a pedal do you have to keep a foot on it to keep it in control at high speeds?????

superdave013
08-10-2004, 07:50 PM
Ok, in a nut shell the plates need to be in a different position at different speeds. When you stab the throttle on that blown deal and it's accelerating
like a NASA rocket you can't move the plates far enough or fast enough with your hand. Plus you might want to have both hands on the wheel anyway.
Also another REAL nice feature is the pedal will over ride the handle. That makes it real nice when your just hod rodding around.
I'll let one of the experts give you the ins and outs of driving and working the plates.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-10-2004, 07:51 PM
I'm guessing from the "no down pedal" that this boat is not a 70's runnerbottom? Right?
With an old true flat I would start by bringing the handle to the most upward plate position. This is usually forward. Then just level the plate to the bottom. You should have at least an inch of plate movement down when the handle is fully levered.
Dave is right, you need a down pedal especially with all that motor. When you step on the gas the down pedal will enable you to make instant trim adjustments in any increment by depressing the pedal, riding the pedal, then if the boat will set, releasing the pedal.
The pedal will also enable you to adjust to nasty water at a split seconds notice and turn the boat better by sticking the turn fins (your pivot point).
With the plate leveled to the bottom of the boat you may try to turn the outside turnbuckles down three flats. If the boat has any rocker it may handle better with the plates slightly above the bottom of the boat in the upmost position. I wouldn't even think of trying that without a down pedal first.
If you have a runner you need to talk to the guru. Good Luck! :cool:
The Video guys .02cents :rolleyes:

dmontzsta
08-10-2004, 08:08 PM
I agree with what Jerry and Dave said. Your first step is to adjust the plate.
Back the boat up in the water until it is off the trailer, then very carefully pull it out, the object is to have about 2' or so hanging off the back of the trailer. Then take a level like this...http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/dmontzsta%20pics/LakeElsinore7-11-04/100_1131.jpg
make sure both plates are even.
Put the lever all the way into the up position, then take the level under both plates like this http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/dmontzsta%20pics/LakeElsinore7-11-04/100_1132.jpg
With the lever all the way up, you should have about 1/8" gap between the level and the plate, that is all the up you need.
BTW: Jerry, your check went out today, I forgot to send it yesterday, I also forgot to put on deoderant, but thats another story! :) Thanks again.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-10-2004, 08:52 PM
Check Dmonzta out! :D The student has become the teacher! Nice directions with pictures showing the step by step.
Donald, If I change from a wedge to a trailing edge rudder will my boat handle the same in the straightaway? Also whats the limit on how much material I could safely cut off of either to trim drag. How deep should my water pickup be and how much angle should I cut it too.
Looking forward to descriptive directions with pictures showing the step by step. :D :D :D
I sent you out 2 more tapes yesterday, hopefully they will make it there in 1 peice.
Jerry

sifocalpoint
08-10-2004, 08:56 PM
Do you mean 1 inch of plate travel (the plate itself moves 1 inch) doesnt that seem like alot. So basically move the handle all the way forward and level the plate so when i drop the handle back the rear plate will move 1 inch down.
I really appreciate your help guys, thank you

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-10-2004, 09:00 PM
Do you mean 1 inch of plate travel (the plate itself moves 1 inch) doesnt that seem like alot. So basically move the handle all the way forward and level the plate so when i drop the handle back the rear plate will move 1 inch down.
I really appreciate your help guys, thank you
Thats right! The back edge of the plate should move at least an inch. A well set up circle race boat will move 1 1/2" :idea:
Jerry

sifocalpoint
08-10-2004, 09:04 PM
well tomarrow im going to set the plate up so when the handles all the way forward, theres an 1/8 inch gap between the level and the plate, and from there see how much movement i get, then im ordering another pedal setup, if for some reason im not getting much movement what could be some common reasons why?? And how do i increase the movement of the plate.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-10-2004, 09:21 PM
What year boat do you have?

dmontzsta
08-10-2004, 09:24 PM
Check Dmonzta out! :D The student has become the teacher! Nice directions with pictures showing the step by step.
Donald, If I change from a wedge to a trailing edge rudder will my boat handle the same in the straightaway? Also whats the limit on how much material I could safely cut off of either to trim drag. How deep should my water pickup be and how much angle should I cut it too.
Looking forward to descriptive directions with pictures showing the step by step. :D :D :D
I sent you out 2 more tapes yesterday, hopefully they will make it there in 1 peice.
Jerry
hahaha, I learned that one after asking a ton of questions, so when it was time to do it, I tooks pics to document it cause I was sure it would help someone else. :)
You actually lost me with "wedge or trailer wedge" the student/teacher has not gotten that far yet. :) next chapter maybe? haha
No pics yet, I will be sure and take lots of pics and notes when it is time.
I need to have a talk with the postman and tell him to have a talk with them knuckleheads at the post office, then have them go and on and on, I might call and complain if these arrive damaged, I know its not your fault and I feel bad about it.
Thanks again though, you rock! http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/SigsAndAvatars/Smilies/headbang.gif

sifocalpoint
08-11-2004, 05:04 AM
its a 69 i believe, my schiada is a 71

DansBlown73Nordic
08-11-2004, 01:10 PM
I set mine up with 3/8 gap. So far it works great. I have had 50 people tell me I need a down pedal....I guess I need to drive a flat to see what it really does. I understand the idea. I just have not had a problem so far. Plus it makes for a little exitmeant for the passenger when your fumbling for the handle....... :argue:

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-11-2004, 04:35 PM
its a 69 i believe, my schiada is a 71
After you install the downpedal, if you still have problems, I would recomend talking to Howard Brown himself. Being the builder he should have the best knowledge of how to balance your boat and where the plate should be. Let me know if you need help contacting him. :cool:
Jerry