PDA

View Full Version : Most popular forum?

LVjetboy
08-11-2004, 02:23 AM
Interesting how "Just Jets" once again tops all other "tech" forums in both number of threads and posts as the other so-called "tech" forums. Even after admin long ago split Jet posts into Bench racing and Just Jets skewing results.
Tops v-drives. Even tops the sum total of outdrives, outboards, cats, tunnels and offshore altogether. Hmmm. So what group does HBM cater too?
jer

Jake W
08-11-2004, 05:01 AM
Its really sad isent it.
Jake

dmontzsta
08-11-2004, 06:09 AM
That just shows that there are a TON of jets that were built and are still out there. :)

1Bahnerjet
08-11-2004, 06:18 AM
That just shows that there are a TON of jets that were built and are still out there. :)
man, you shoulda seen it back in the 70's (maybe you did ?)
you know all those Damn Wake Board Boats you see on the Lake now, well back then you saw Jets :cool:
it was Jet Boat Heaven...

Blown 472
08-11-2004, 07:33 AM
Interesting how "Just Jets" once again tops all other "tech" forums in both number of threads and posts as the other so-called "tech" forums. Even after admin long ago split Jet posts into Bench racing and Just Jets skewing results.
Tops v-drives. Even tops the sum total of outdrives, outboards, cats, tunnels and offshore altogether. Hmmm. So what group does HBM cater too?
jer
All hail Jer!!!!!!!!!!!!! must be all them there charts and graphs with circles and arrows showing the points of interest?

Nucking futs
08-11-2004, 07:34 AM
And to think, the jet boat craze died off due to higher gas prices in the 70's.Shit, I would love to pay 1.00 a gallon again. :cool:

SB
08-11-2004, 09:04 AM
I read HB because it's the only mag that covers jets. Lots of other mags cover the other types of boats. Also we're trying to go faster without calling the nearest Merc service rep.

Oldsquirt
08-11-2004, 09:12 AM
...........So what group does HBM cater too?
jer
Considering how much posting goes on in the Sandbar, and the high percentage of that which is currently about politics, I'd say it should be a political mag not a boat mag. :D

roostwear
08-11-2004, 09:16 AM
***boat has a magazine? :confused:

LVjetboy
08-12-2004, 01:02 AM
"***boat has a magazine?"
Unfortunately, still no serious competition. I think it's great they added the "Special Performance Section" But I'd bet most readers want that somewhat limited (afterthought?) section expanded, include small Hot Boat tech stuff and move their primary offshore focus to an add-on in the back.
Has anyone seen the radical format change Hot Rod magazine just did to satisfy their customers and wonder why HBM can't do the same?
Ya I know...no serious competition....pipe dream.
Granted, raw number of threads and forum posts not a scientific measure of readership interest. Maybe the offshore guys with only 411 threads on the HBM forum spend more time posting to a different forum? Like jetters don't have other forums to post to, too? But what if posts on HBM's site are a measure of interest and readership? Imagine that? Why not HBM poll their readership thru the magazine and ask the same question?
Are they afraid of the answer?
jer

Blown 472
08-12-2004, 08:24 AM
"***boat has a magazine?"
Unfortunately, still no serious competition. I think it's great they added the "Special Performance Section" But I'd bet most readers want that somewhat limited (afterthought?) section expanded, include small Hot Boat tech stuff and move their primary offshore focus to an add-on in the back.
Has anyone seen the radical format change Hot Rod magazine just did to satisfy their customers and wonder why HBM can't do the same?
Ya I know...no serious competition....pipe dream.
Granted, raw number of threads and forum posts not a scientific measure of readership interest. Maybe the offshore guys with only 411 threads on the HBM forum spend more time posting to a different forum? Like jetters don't have other forums to post to, too? But what if posts on HBM's site are a measure of interest and readership? Imagine that? Why not HBM poll their readership thru the magazine and ask the same question?
Are they afraid of the answer?
jer
Jer, why do you have a hardon for everyone that doesn't have a jet boat???

Squirtcha?
08-12-2004, 10:34 AM
***boat has a magazine? :confused:
That's some funny stuff!

superdave013
08-12-2004, 10:51 AM
LV, if Hot Boat wants to make a living then they need to sell advertising.
If they counted on the jet boat market they would get pretty hungry pretty quick. Not to many new jet boats getting built these days. I/O's and outboards pay the bills.
They are doing more jet related topics and I think you will see it get expanded somewhat. I was talking with a guy last night about some up and comming tech stuff that you will be seeing.
All I can say is......... Stay tuned. :)

LVjetboy
08-13-2004, 01:23 AM
Sounds good to me SuperDave. But I should've been more specific.
It's not just jets I like to read about...but all small (24' or less) Hot Boats, including v, o/b and i/o. My first interest other than jets is v-drives. Blown472 will find that hard to believe. :smile: But v-drives and jets are enthusiast with the same passion. If you judge readership interest by combining both jets and v-drive posts on this forum...the conclusion is overwhelming. How could HBM ignore that if it weren't for lack of competition?
Maybe HBM should consider gradualy shifting their marketing focus (from offshore and hot yachts towards more aftermarket performance) to bring in the same ad revenue yet target their mainstream readership a bit better?
The special performance section is excellent, but there's still a void.
jer

Jake W
08-13-2004, 04:40 AM
Up comming tech huh.
The only things lately in ther was the direct result of Mike (Cyclone) snaping some pics and writing an article for it so does that mean we are going to be limited to what Mike has time to do because I did not see of their guys doing any thing but testing big Dick boats.
Mabey we can learn how to put a drive shower on for the 10 time.
I think they need to do some history type stuff.Like where boats came from and evelotion of them.Or where they went.
And preformance shop articles.
Boat Painters articles or gellers.
Hull makers like Bill Scotten,Tom Papp,(V Drive guys can add their own)
Any one have more to add to the list so they can see what is important to us as subscribers.
Jake :crossx:

superdave013
08-13-2004, 07:05 AM
Jake, looks like you have quite the project going. I bet you could snap some high resulation pics and write some tech about your project. I think that would be something that others would like to see.

Blown 472
08-13-2004, 02:06 PM
Up comming tech huh.
The only things lately in ther was the direct result of Mike (Cyclone) snaping some pics and writing an article for it so does that mean we are going to be limited to what Mike has time to do because I did not see of their guys doing any thing but testing big Dick boats.
Mabey we can learn how to put a drive shower on for the 10 time.
I think they need to do some history type stuff.Like where boats came from and evelotion of them.Or where they went.
And preformance shop articles.
Boat Painters articles or gellers.
Hull makers like Bill Scotten,Tom Papp,(V Drive guys can add their own)
Any one have more to add to the list so they can see what is important to us as subscribers.
cyclone writes articles for a magazine, holy mother of god, and all this time he said he didn't, hummmm there goes the magazine article dyno correction factor theory. :jawdrop:

moneysucker
08-13-2004, 08:40 PM
I am still happy that we have the back of the magazine. I stoped my subscription because I don't have an off shore boat and V tech and Jet tech were the only things I read. I wish I could have a 38 but I wouldn't give up my little ones. You are right about the ads though. There aren't a whole lot of jets being sold new. They did bring back a lot of readers that were lost with the hot rod section. Keep up the good work.

Delta Jets
08-14-2004, 10:34 AM
I wish they would do more jet stuff in HBM when i get mine i go to the back read that first the rest is just throne reading. I think they could expand it a little do some stories on builders. When i bought my 74 miller i tried to find out everything i could have learned alot mostly on HB forums.Its like they say we can keep repairing and enjoying these old boats or they wind up in the dump and sooner or later people will say What's that an early model SEE Doooo LOL

Jake W
08-15-2004, 05:15 PM
SuperD I asume you are being truthfull in what you are saying.I do not have a dergree in journalism like Mike and others that write for mags do it is better left up to them.I was not trying to say Mike was not doing a good job but it is a shame we can only count on him for a Jet tech artical.When I assume he only free lances with them. And is not a full fledged employe.

Her454
08-16-2004, 08:59 AM
My first interest other than jets is v-drives. Blown472 will find that hard to believe.
jer
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I have a treasured V-Drive Groupie shirt layin around I'd be happy to let you borrow.................. :) :) :)

LVjetboy
08-16-2004, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the offer but I'll pass. :smile:
You know me, I'm a die-hard jetter and I love my jet. But there were a couple sweet v-drives at C3B including a light-weight (350 lb hull?) 502 powered black and blue hydro for sale...owned by a guy named Jim I believe. Very clean!
But v or jet, we're all small hot boats compared to what the magazine now covers. And I think HBM should consider giving our boats more coverage...or a least do a readership poll to see if what I say is true then go from there.
jer

RandyH
08-16-2004, 10:34 AM
You know me, I'm a die-hard jetter and I love my jet. But there were a couple sweet v-drives at C3B including a light-weight (350 lb hull?) 502 powered black and blue hydro for sale...owned by a guy named Jim I believe. Very clean!
But v or jet, we're all small hot boats compared to what the magazine now covers. And I think HBM should consider giving our boats more coverage...or a least do a readership poll to see if what I say is true then go from there.
jer
Heck they even took the Jet Tech forum out of this months issue. :sqeyes: Heck of alot of V-Drives however. Thats cool.
RandyH

Her454
08-16-2004, 01:22 PM
jer
jer,
Actually in the last year or so there have been many more smaller boats featured. There were several threads in the V-Drive forums and a few in the sandbar requesting more of the "affordable" smaller boats and they now try and feature at least 3 in each issue. Instead of complaining about things, write a letter to ***boat and let them know what you'd like to see, it worked before, and with continued interest from readers it can only get better. Just my 02.
And I'll save the shirt in case ya ever change your mind. ;) You'd really like it too, I added a Rex Marine Logo on the back of it.

Cas
08-16-2004, 05:21 PM
I wonder what kind of archives they have? If it's pretty big, how about just reprinting some of the old magazines in addition to what they have now?
I have about 40 old issues at this point that I'd be willing to loan out for reprinting.

LVjetboy
08-16-2004, 07:08 PM
That'd be cool. I'd rather pay for old issues with content than pay for new issues chasing the big money ad fad. They may justify catering to "Big Money" advertisers, but if fewer read the mag what's the point? I'm sure there's a trade-off. Or not. I guess that depends on what competition they have...none yet?
jer

Cas
08-16-2004, 08:59 PM
so if a particular magazine is no longer in print and hasn't been in 20 years, is there still copywrite infringements?

572Daytona
08-16-2004, 09:08 PM
I think copyright lasts for 75 or 100 years so I would suspect they are still covered by it.

Cas
08-17-2004, 09:24 AM
oops, copyright :D
anyway, who would a person contact to get approval to do some reprints?
Most of the older mags have a lot of coverage of IHBA, NJBA, NDBA, SDBA and a few other drag boat associations. There's also quite a bit of info on the Coors World Series of Drag Boat Racing, pretty cool stuff!
The tech articles are pretty good but what I really like reading are the ads for the "new" items ie: MSD distributors, the new 19' Eliminator Tunnels, wedges, ride plates, precise flow grates (loaders), and tons more.
Back in the 70's and early 80's, there were quite a few "hot boat" magazines. Custom Boat and Engine, which I believe was the original name of what's now Hot Boat, Competition & Ski Boats, Performance Boats, Hot Boat (late 70's) and Race Boat.....lots of competition.