PDA

View Full Version : 50 series flowmaster

Toomstone
08-11-2004, 10:20 AM
has anyone had experience with these mufflers. good? bad?

Pee Dub
08-11-2004, 11:45 AM
I put a complete Flowmaster system with 50 series Delta Flows on my 72 El Camino and I really like them. Good throaty sound with minimal interior resonance sometimes sitting at a stoplight.

Toomstone
08-11-2004, 11:50 AM
I put a complete Flowmaster system with 50 series Delta Flows on my 72 El Camino and I really like them. Good throaty sound with minimal interior resonance sometimes sitting at a stoplight.
now would there be a high interior resonance if i didnt get the delta flow???

Toomstone
08-11-2004, 12:16 PM
also whats the advantage of getting new pipes when you can just get a muffler put on???

Toomstone
08-16-2004, 07:23 PM
anyone out there??? :sleeping: :( :cry:

PHX ATC
08-16-2004, 08:50 PM
The advantage of getting all new pipes is that...you'll have new pipes! They can be bent around your axle and fit your new muffler without having to purchase a "certain" stock number of replacement muffler. Half the time they don't work anyway.
We had a 1999 Ford Expedition that I put a Flowie on and I had to get the Chevrolet model number so it would fit.
Getting new pipes allows for smoother bends, thus, allowing the exhaust to escape easier and flow better. Plus, you can put duals on it if you want to.
With a SUV, I would replace the muffler and weld a cool tip on the end. It will increase your performance a teensy bit (maybe 5 hp if you're lucky) but sound a whole helluva lot better. I, personally, wouldn't waste your money on new pipes. Unless your's are rusted out or you're going with dual exhaust or something radical.
Talk to a muffler shop and see what they say. Most of those guys aren't rocket scientists, but they sure do know what works and what doesn't underneath a vehicle.

Toomstone
08-16-2004, 09:19 PM
The advantage of getting all new pipes is that...you'll have new pipes! They can be bent around your axle and fit your new muffler without having to purchase a "certain" stock number of replacement muffler. Half the time they don't work anyway.
We had a 1999 Ford Expedition that I put a Flowie on and I had to get the Chevrolet model number so it would fit.
Getting new pipes allows for smoother bends, thus, allowing the exhaust to escape easier and flow better. Plus, you can put duals on it if you want to.
With a SUV, I would replace the muffler and weld a cool tip on the end. It will increase your performance a teensy bit (maybe 5 hp if you're lucky) but sound a whole helluva lot better. I, personally, wouldn't waste your money on new pipes. Unless your's are rusted out or you're going with dual exhaust or something radical.
Talk to a muffler shop and see what they say. Most of those guys aren't rocket scientists, but they sure do know what works and what doesn't underneath a vehicle.
im looking to put it on a ford f150 and i was told the new pipes would give maybe a little extra hp. but if it cost that much more its not worth it. i really want it for the sound but hp gain would be nice. whats a cool tip??? thanks PHX ATC
Toomstone :crossx:

Sleek-Jet
08-16-2004, 09:43 PM
I've put several Flowmaster systems on veriouse vehicle's I've owned. Best money I ever spent, and they fit. Most muffler shops will tell you they throw the pipes away because they don't fit, but I've never had a problem.
I ran 70 series on my F250 and it was really quiet, both in and out, but did have a little rumble at idle. All the pipe went right were the factory stuff did, hangers and all.
I run 50 series on my Cutlass and love it. The "H" pipe cuts resonance down quite a bit, and the exhaust looks killer, nice and tight. I would say go for it.

Mike67rs
08-16-2004, 10:49 PM
The 50 Series Delta Flows will probably be too loud for a daily driver. I have them on my Camaro, but I wouldn't want to live with them every day. Maybe I'm getting too old, but I like the quiet throaty sound.

PHX ATC
08-17-2004, 07:35 AM
whats a cool tip???
It's not a brand name, sorry, just a chrome or stainless steel tip to make it look cool from the rear view. Baby bling factor if you will. ;)
Call Flowmaster and ask them what they think. I've done that before and had good results. They can tell you what sound volume their different series of muffler will deliver.

Toomstone
08-17-2004, 07:48 AM
It's not a brand name, sorry, just a chrome or stainless steel tip to make it look cool from the rear view. Baby bling factor if you will. ;)
Call Flowmaster and ask them what they think. I've done that before and had good results. They can tell you what sound volume their different series of muffler will deliver.
LOL...sorry! i wasnt sure if it was something that helped the exhaust exit or actually a "cool tip". thanks again

Toomstone
08-17-2004, 08:01 AM
sorry...im pretty sure i want the 50 series because i called a local muffler shop and asked which flowmaster sounded similar to the gibson swept side. i know someone who has one on their denali and not real loud inside but nice outside. then i know the 40 series is one of the loudest pipes there is. but do you know if the delta flow makes a difference for interior sound?
toomstone :crossx:

Sleek-Jet
08-17-2004, 06:06 PM
The 40 series two chambers are freakin loud.... :2purples:
My brother runs a set on his Chevelle and it sounds like a damn prostock dragster from the outside, and you have to yell at whoever your talking to inside while the car is going down the road... but man it sounds bitchin'. :D
I'd say the 50 series are pretty close to the Borla's sound and resonance wise.

PHX ATC
08-17-2004, 07:01 PM
I think the Delta flows are actually quieter than the 2 chambers and 3 chambers. Ah poop, check their website, I can't remember. :hammer2:
It was the 50 series we had on the Expy. I just looked it up. It was fine inside and had a rumble outside.
Ah shit, just straight pipe it and be done with it! :D

Toomstone
08-17-2004, 08:35 PM
phx atc...did you have the delta flow on you expy or no? i would hate for it to be loud on the inside but i want a throaty start up and accleration.

HighRoller
08-17-2004, 10:42 PM
I have a 3 chamber job on my GMC with the 5.3. Stock exhaust except for the muff. It's pretty loud inside, and I think I should have gotten the Delta Flow model. My question is, if you get the Cat-Back tubing or slap a set of headers on it, will the noise be any different? My theory is that the restriction from the exhaust system is causing the only free-flowing part of the system(muffler) to release the harmonics outward. The noise at the tailpipe is not loud at all, but inside it rumbles at 1500-2000RPM badly.

PHX ATC
08-18-2004, 08:56 AM
phx atc...did you have the delta flow on you expy or no? i would hate for it to be loud on the inside but i want a throaty start up and accleration.
Delta flow. If you get on it, it will rumble inside. If you drive like you're conserving fuel, it won't be a nuisance. If you hotrod it stoplight to stoplight, it'll become a nuisance rather quickly. Drive it normally and it'll be fine. Our's "came on" just when I wanted it too...when I mash the skinny pedal and outside the vehicle at an idle you could tell there was something "ballsy" about it.
Headers would allow it to flow more, the sound wouldn't change. The catback installation would allow more flow as well, less constriction overall and smoother bends. As far as the catback alone, that will not increase noise, but most catback systems are sold with a muffler and that will increase the rumble.

Toomstone
08-18-2004, 10:57 AM
so phx atc.... what your saying is if i dont get the delta flow it will be unbearable most of the time? but if i get the delta flow it only rumbles inside if get on it from idle? other than that the delta flow keeps it pretty quiet in the interior?

PHX ATC
08-18-2004, 11:50 AM
Yes.
If you drive, even ocassionaly like a race car driver, you will have the noise. It all depends on how you use it. If you're family is in there with you hauling the boat to the lake, you will have mom and kids driving you nuts because it is too loud. With the Delta flow, the interior noise will be less, just a tad over what it used to be as stock.
If it were my vehicle, I would get the Delta flow muffler. Better go too quiet than too loud and then have to change it out. That would suck.
All this coming from a guy who drives a straight piped diesel! :D

Toomstone
08-18-2004, 06:08 PM
Yes.
If you drive, even ocassionaly like a race car driver, you will have the noise. It all depends on how you use it. If you're family is in there with you hauling the boat to the lake, you will have mom and kids driving you nuts because it is too loud. With the Delta flow, the interior noise will be less, just a tad over what it used to be as stock.
If it were my vehicle, I would get the Delta flow muffler. Better go too quiet than too loud and then have to change it out. That would suck.
All this coming from a guy who drives a straight piped diesel! :D
one other question... does the delta flow change the exterior sound? or will it sound like a normal 50 series?

VelocityDriver
08-18-2004, 11:45 PM
I've got the 40 Delta on a V10 Excursion. There is a slight rumble while idling, maybe just a little louder than stock, quite inside. Jump on it and it has a nice sound not to loud, but loud enough for people to know you don't have the V8. On the highway cruising @80 no noticable noise level. The wife didn't know I change the muffler, until I told her. I did get a 1-2 MPG gain by adding the muffler and a K&N, not much to most people, but in an X it's a big thing.
The muffler guy said it takes about 500 miles for the muffler to break in, something to do with tuning the 3 baffles in the Delta. He said it might get a little louder, but I haven't notice any differance.

N2Lake
08-19-2004, 04:21 AM
I put a 70 series on our Lincoln Navigator with a behind the wheel mod to the tail pipe and a 3.5 inch Stainless tip. It made it just a little louder inside but it isounds great out side. It is just a bit throatier/louder than our 03 GT stang with the 4.6 and facotry exhaust.

PHX ATC
08-19-2004, 06:35 AM
D flow is probably about 1/2 a db quieter, not really noticeable. It will sound pretty much the same as the regular one.
Now you're gonna have to post sound clips of your ride. :D