PDA

View Full Version : fouled plug

sleekvino
08-11-2004, 05:24 PM
i was out in my boat todayand running great then i got on it and it boged down real quick.then it seemed that is was missing.i got home and my #4 spark plug was bent over and looked like it almost fused it self together what would cause this. any help would be great.

victorfb
08-11-2004, 06:49 PM
alot more info is needed. but in any case, if your plug was bent over, id say you have a clearance problem. new motor? new plugs? differant plugs? are these plugs fresh? did you forget to install the washer (if applicable)? its possible that wrong indexing of the plug can cause just that one to hit while the others are just barely clearing the piston, but that would mean a very high compression ratio. (domed pistons). you didnt happen to hear anything rattling around in that cylinder did you? how was the oil presure? if it was low you may have spun a rod bearing which allowed the piston to come up a bit further. (not good).

b's sanger
08-11-2004, 07:05 PM
Had the same thing happen to me last October. Lost the cylinder on the way in to the dock. Pulled the plug and saw the electrode collapsed. Ultimately mine was a worse case scenario. Bad gas coupled with overheating created the detonation and i blew a whole in my piston. Do a leak down test and bore scope your cylinder to be safe. I was lucky there was no cylinder damage and was able to put a new piston in, ran great yesterday.

waterslinger
08-11-2004, 07:12 PM
You must have a Chevy. Index the plugs and it will be fine. May take more than one set so get 16 plugs and return the rest later.

sleekvino
08-11-2004, 08:11 PM
the motor has about 115 hours on it i never had this problem before,the oil pressure was fine temp was good,had the washer,didnt here anything rattling around i also put in new plugs and its running fine on the tralier.its not idling ruff.but i will do a comperssion test on it tomorrow and see if there is a differnce in the readings. :cry:

b's sanger
08-11-2004, 08:14 PM
I ran mine three times at wot not knowing about the hole in the piston. Check your plugs carefully after you run it. Again a leakdown test may ensure there is no problem. :idea:

victorfb
08-12-2004, 12:22 AM
you should know if there is a hole in the piston right away by the exsesive blow by. if you see smoke coming from your breather, shut her down.

sleekvino
08-12-2004, 02:03 PM
well boys its not looking good,did my test and onlt getting 100lbs ,compared to 155lbs in the cylinder next to it .dont think ill be out for a while. :burningm: :jawdrop:

1978 Rogers
08-12-2004, 02:50 PM
I ran mine three times at wot not knowing about the hole in the piston. Check your plugs carefully after you run it. Again a leakdown test may ensure there is no problem. :idea:
Whats a leakdown test?

roostwear
08-12-2004, 02:54 PM
Sounds like a valve went on vacation.......

Squirtcha?
08-12-2004, 03:13 PM
Whats a leakdown test?
Here's a link to FAQ regarding leakdown testing.
Leakdown FAQ (http://www.geocities.com/dsmgrrrl/FAQs/leakdown.htm)
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/tav-08015.jpg

1978 Rogers
08-12-2004, 03:53 PM
Interesting. I didn't know that.
Thanks Squirtcha.

PimpJuice
08-13-2004, 02:17 PM
A vino junk that 455 `olds and buy a BBC 454...........Pimp Juice....

sleekvino
08-13-2004, 06:20 PM
well did the tear down today lost the #4 piston,ordered the parts today my cylinder looks good so i just lost out on 147.50 from jegs,takes 2 weeks to get hopeing to make the berryessa trip.see ya at the ramp. :messedup: :lightsabe