PDA

View Full Version : Going to the beach tomorrow. Gonna party with these 2 girls!!!!

RiverOtter
08-12-2004, 08:31 AM
:burningm:
http://image.weather.com/images/maps/tropical/spec_trop1_720x486.jpg

Keithb87
08-12-2004, 08:35 AM
Charlie and Bonnie???? :confused:

RiverOtter
08-12-2004, 08:41 AM
Charlie and Bonnie???? :confused:
Yep.. Good ole Charley and Bonnie :burningm:

Keithb87
08-12-2004, 08:43 AM
Take some anchors with you... :idea:

RiverOtter
08-12-2004, 08:48 AM
Take some anchors with you... :idea:
:burningm: Big Anchors!!! :burningm:

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-12-2004, 08:49 AM
are you in the middle of it.. sorry I don't know where you are.. :confused:

RiverOtter
08-12-2004, 08:54 AM
are you in the middle of it.. sorry I don't know where you are.. :confused:
No, I haven't left Chattanooga yet. I think I'll miss Bonnie but looks like Charley and I will get to know each other. :burningm:

OGShocker
08-12-2004, 08:55 AM
I have been through two 'canes. They're not all that bad. As long as you don't play dipstick and hang out on the beach sippin' a cocktail.
Have fun with the ladies!

Froggystyle
08-12-2004, 08:59 AM
I have been through two 'canes. They're not all that bad. As long as you don't play dipstick and hang out on the beach sippin' a cocktail.
Have fun with the ladies!
Anyone want to hear a funny story about my first Hurricane?

Keithb87
08-12-2004, 09:00 AM
I'm bored... :sleeping: I'll bite

RiverOtter
08-12-2004, 09:00 AM
Does it include a game of "dipstick"? :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-12-2004, 09:04 AM
No, I haven't left Chattanooga yet. I think I'll miss Bonnie but looks like Charley and I will get to know each other. :burningm:
well hopefully you won't get to know him to well.. stay safe and be careful. ;)

PHX ATC
08-12-2004, 09:08 AM
I must admit, going to high school in Florida, I was known on a time or two or three to be at the beach surfing when a hurricane was on it's way in.
The surf is awesome! Diehards only, but it's worth it. :p

RiverOtter
08-12-2004, 09:14 AM
I must admit, going to high school in Florida, I was known on a time or two or three to be at the beach surfing when a hurricane was on it's way in.
The surf is awesome! Diehards only, but it's worth it. :p
Don't think I'll be trying that. Too old and can't ride a board unless it's tied to a boat :cool:

Froggystyle
08-12-2004, 09:47 AM
I had just gotten out of Hull Technician "A" school in Philidelphia in late November 1994. I unfortunately got orders to Virginia Beach, and left on a Friday evening for my first duty station in Little Creek, VA.
So, I roll in to Virginia with my buddy I went to "A" school with who was also from Cali, who also happenned to have a car and two surfboards. We had two days left until we had to check in, and so we basically went straight to sleep at the temp barracks.
We wake up in the morning (Saturday) early to go surfing on the outer banks of NC, where alledgedly there is actual moderate surf conditions on occasion. Everything, and I mean everything is boarded up. We are thinking that this place is just a shithole that can't afford glass... but on the Navy base???
So we drive south out of town according to the Thompson atlas. Nobody on the road. This place sucks! More boarded up shit. I hate this place already.
We get to the outer banks around 7:00 AM and this NC State Patrol officer is literally JUST taking down a roadblock. Waves us through. No line, no waiting... nothing. So, we are on the Outer Banks now, cross the bridge and the surf is looking pretty good. Actually, it is looking totally acceptable. Bernie and I decide that this stinking duty station isn't going to be a total write-off after all because good surf is only an hour and a half away.
So we drive down this deserted beach road to this pier called the Roadanthe pier. Surf is bangin, and actually breaking at the top of the pier. We figure what the hell... Let's get after it.
We suit up, wax up and start surfing some pretty big waves. Way overhead, but crappy form. Breaking close to the beach, and acting blown out even though there was no wind. The faces weren't holding up at all, but we rode for an hour or so completely by our onesies.
We start getting bored, and also thinking about where the surf might be better down the road aways near this lighthouse we heard about from some freinds in Philly and the cars start showing up...
As we are watching, the parking lot is filling from a seemingly endless stream of cars coming from the north. Cameras show up, News crews show up. Bernie and I are just out there surfing away, wondering what the big deal is. Surf doesn't suck, but it ain't great either if you know what I mean...
Finally, after another half hour of nearly uncontested surfing, the first paddlers start coming out with wild grins on their faces. Then it starts getting packed. So, we decide we have had enough and ride the next set in.
So we ask some local looking grommet if he figures the lighthouse is hitting any better right now and he looks back at me like I have a dick growing out of my forehead. "Better???" Yeah man, better... you know... bigger, more shape...
"Dude, where are you from?"
"California"
"This is the biggest I have ever seen waves out here. This is totally legendary for the Outer Banks. I don't know what you are looking for, but the best you are going to find is right here, right now..."
The date was November 26, 1994, and Hurricane Gordon had finished blowing through about 12 hours earlier. This was the biggest surf the Outer Banks had seen in around 8 years I guess, and we had been the very first people allowed back on the island. All of Vrginia Beach was closed down, lots of damage to the actual beachfront. Florida got it's ass kicked up and down the coast and Haiti was a total mess.
The surf sucked in Virginia from that day on. I hated that assignment...

RiverOtter
08-12-2004, 09:57 AM
Great story. Timing is everything :D

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-12-2004, 10:23 AM
I have been thru a hurricane (Alicia) 1983 and I can tell you if another one hits Houston I am heading for the hill country. Hurricanes suck! :frown:
Omega

Keithb87
08-12-2004, 11:03 AM
Great Story... :)

Phat Matt
08-12-2004, 11:12 AM
Did somebody say "Slurricane"? :D
http://www.badgerwest.com/images/BacardiHurricane1.75L.jpg