PDA

View Full Version : What do you know about kidney dialysis?

BUSTI
08-12-2004, 03:13 PM
For years now I have been suffering from kidney desease. Several months ago I was diagnosed with end stage kidney desease. My doctors are doing alot of last ditch effort ct imaging to see if I have a blockage to my kidneys and if I did then they would do angioplasty to releieve it.............however in the past the ct imaging scans including MRI's haven't shown anything and it is doubtful they will now. I am on a transplant list now but it takes years to get one even if you get one, so in the mean time my dr.s have recommended dialysis.
My question is this....do any of you have experience with relatives on dialysis? I am electing to go on Pertoneal Dialysis(DP) instead of hemo-dialysis because of the convienence of being able to do it at home with my own machine and with the aide of my wife. With hemo dialysis you have to go to a clinic 3 days a week 6 hours per day to totally draw your blood out into a machine and have it filtered and then reinserted into your body. Usually visiting the clinic every other day. With PD I would still have cathators inserted into my body and daily would have to go on the machine but I could do it in the prvacy of my home at night. Even though this treatment is still required daily I could take the machine to my river house when on vacation and such and otherwise live a routine life at work and at play.
Does anybody know any thing about Pertoneal Dialysis? Or have any experience with this form of dialysis? Your input would be appreciated as my doctors want me to make a decision soon as to the type of cathators to surgically implant: either the two tubes in my wrist and viens for hemodialysis or one tube in my belly for pertoneal dialysis.
Please pm me as my kidney function is down to 15 percent and in the next two weeks my wife and I have decide which type to go with.
Thanks Richard

Tom Brown
08-12-2004, 03:19 PM
I have a friend who is a heart transplant and he has to go in for hemo dialysis three times a week. Over the years, it has worn him down and has reduced his enjoyment of life.
The human spirit can conquer all but I would rather do as much at home as possible, if it were me.
My heart goes out to you and your family, Richard. I hope you can rise above this hardship and find some happiness. :)
-- Tom

Lightning
08-12-2004, 03:23 PM
I have a client who works in a dialysis center and will contact her for more information.

Jetdriver
08-12-2004, 03:51 PM
My Grandmother had total kidney failure and lived on the Hemo machine for probably about 6 years. It was a total strain on everyone since she was to frail to drive herself so my dad had to take her and pick her up every other day. I would say to you, if you can do it at home then do it. If you have to spend hours hooked to a machine at least you can do it in your own environment and with your family instead of a bunch of staffers. I also remember that eventually her vains became weak from the treatment and they ended up putting a plastic shunt in. Good luck to you! If I can give you anymore answers you can always call my number!
Shawn

eliminatedsprinter
08-12-2004, 03:57 PM
I had a stepfather that went to dialysis and I've had many pts who have also been on it. One of the hardest things about it for my stepfather and the pts that I have worked with was how terrible they felt right before and after going and getting it done and how bad it felt to have to go and get it done at a time while they were feeling so bad. If it were me, I'd go for the PD for those reasons, if my MD told me either would be effective. Which ever you choose, I hope you can get that transplant A.S.A.P.

pioneer
08-12-2004, 04:16 PM
I was on dialysis in 1990 prior to having a kidney transplant,
I opted for C.A.P.D. because of the freedom it gives you ,verses being on the machine the diet is less restrictive and you can do it yourself anyplace anytime. I will have had my kidney for 14 yaers on August 15

coolchange
08-12-2004, 06:14 PM
^^^^^Pioneer makin his first post a good one.^^^^^^^

diggler
08-12-2004, 06:45 PM
^^^^^Pioneer makin his first post a good one.^^^^^^^
amen, great first post

DECKKAT
08-12-2004, 08:45 PM
My Pops does PD. He doesn't hook up to the machine though. He does a soultion exchange every 4hrs or so (gravitational). He's always at the river, I dont think he's suppose to swim (consult your Doc) but he can does his exchanges pretty much anywhere, on the fly driving home, in the boat etc.....He has much more freedom this way. I have seen the difference. I think PD.

Krazy K
08-12-2004, 08:46 PM
My prayers are with you. PKD runs in my family. My sister and I have the potential to get it. My uncle went on dialysis where he went into the office every other day. He is no longer with us. My dad is having kidney problems pretty bad now, so he might be going on it soon. I think he will do the home deal. Keep your spirits up!!

svlperry
08-12-2004, 11:54 PM
i've done both and if i had to do it again i would do pd again on hemo i always felt like i was always tired and never wanted to do anything hemo just drains u of all your energy