PDA

View Full Version : California Performance Boats

Heatseeker
09-27-2001, 06:28 AM
Does anyone know if California Performance is still in business? If so, do they have a web site?
Any info is appreciated.
Thanks,
John

custom-cruiser
09-27-2001, 07:23 AM
I talked to Bill Scotton a few months ago and he was going strong! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif His phone # is (702)523-4808 I dont know about a web site...
Cruise

Heatseeker
09-27-2001, 06:49 PM
Thanks c-c. I'll give Mr. Scotton a call.

wrightnow
09-27-2001, 09:29 PM
I just spoke to Bill Scotten this weekend and he is still building boats (CP). Are you looking for a CP I love mine and bill has been great.
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/028/Vi/Oh/c2/wB86660.jpg
[This message has been edited by wrightnow (edited September 27, 2001).]

old rigger
09-28-2001, 07:07 AM
wrightnow,
everytime I see a pic of your boat posted, I keep meaning to tell you how much I like it. Love one color boats. Thinking of doing the same with my Spectra. All red, with white interior. Used to be a guy running on the river that did the same but I think it was a 21 Hallett. This was about 15 years ago and his boat was featured in hot boat once. The only thing I'd do to yours would be a cap job to get rid of the molding with the rubber insert. That's just me.
Anyway...nice boat.
Where are you in LB? We live there too. Over by Woodruff and Los Coyotes diagonal.
[This message has been edited by old rigger (edited September 28, 2001).]

squirt
09-28-2001, 10:49 AM
Hey heatseeker are you thinking of changing hulls? With all this talk of tunnels and air entrapment hulls it has got me to thinking too. I think I'm going to stay with mine for now and see what I can do. I want to stay reliable but I need more hp to make it go faster. I'm thinking we all need to flood LV with hull, pump, rpm, hp, info and see what shakes out from that to get more mph. Wonder if he's gonna start demanding payments

Chestah Cheetah
09-28-2001, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by old rigger:
Thinking of doing the same with my Spectra. All red, with white interior.
OldRigger, that sounds like it's gonna be one hell of a looker. Especially in that hull. Make sure to post pictures.

wrightnow
09-28-2001, 08:55 PM
Old rigger - that for the good words about the boat. It was a project that brought my two boys and I very close. Something we have come to enjoy as a family.
PS we are very close Bellflower and sterns. We should get together for a few beers. E-mail your number.
[This message has been edited by wrightnow (edited September 28, 2001).]

Heatseeker
09-29-2001, 12:51 AM
Squirt,
I am not thinking of changing hulls(yet!). I've got the two bildge rats(I think you met my son at Tower Park. Don't you have the black and blue Bahner?), and they are still a bit small for the 'big numbers'. Right now, I'd like to have a hull like yours.
I'm looking for a buddy who claims he saw a CP open bow, similar to a gull wing. According to him, he was told he could buy a one new, minus engine, for around $18k. He asked me to check it out.
Take it easy,
John

old rigger
09-29-2001, 07:22 AM
Heatseeker,
When I was GM at Advantage I remember doing one (maybe 2)open bow CPs. (Advantage builds the hulls for Bill). Not to roomy up there with that bottom design.
His boats are so nice set up the way he builds them, I always thought it was a crime to cut one of those decks up. In my crappy opinion, it killed the looks of the boat.
Fastest boat I've ever been in was one of his down in Blythe. Guy was runnin' a Littlefield huffer on it. What a rush.

wrightnow
09-29-2001, 07:45 AM
Heatseeker I have a very good friend that has a 19' open bow CP. It's a great family boat with performance in mind. He has had it since new, but had some else cut the bow out, Scotten does a funky open bow from what the last one I'v seen.
as for price of a new that about right, another one in the group had scotten quote one out for him and that included everything but motor.

Heatseeker
09-29-2001, 09:01 AM
Thanks for all the info. I knew I was asking in the right place.
The main reason my buddy wants to look into the open bow is for ferrying gear(and people)out to his houseboat on Don Pedro. He now has a 18' Tahiti(650 hp 454, 80 mph). Whenever he goes to the lake he has to take a couple of trips with the jet or one long trip with the houseboat to load up. This has always been a tremendous waste of time and fuel(we bring all our own fuel in cans). Not to mention that if there are extra people, it makes for a cramped ride. He does't want to give up the speed or the low pro look. He has considered a prop boat(Wilkes builds some awesome trannied v-drives out of the Cougar hulls), but we like to go up to where the river feeds the lake, and the jet is the only safe way to get there. Besides that, the cost difference is huge.
How do those CPs ride? He'd like to go out on one to help him decide.
Boy, I sure can get long winded...
Thanks guys,
John

wrightnow
09-29-2001, 11:17 AM
I like to believe that for this size (18-19 foot) a CP is one of the best riding boats around. Being that is does trap air it is nothing like a shallow-v and it turn like it's on rails. Althought I would not recommend one as a lake boat.
My buddies boat is a 19' open bow and when he had his BBC tunnel ram 750dp it ran a hard 80mph, we skied all day with it and it hauled two familys (4 adult, 4 kids) with no problem. It just wasn't quick.
After riding in his, I shortly sold my and start my project CP and have never looked back.
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/034/Yb/UC/su/tz63942.jpg
Sorry I dont have a picture of his boat scanned yet, but I will do it soon.
[This message has been edited by wrightnow (edited September 29, 2001).]

Jetmugg
09-29-2001, 12:02 PM
I just sold my 19' CP Gullwing open bow, and I already miss her. I bought it directly from Bill Scotten, and it was/is a fantastic boat. If you would like any pics, I have a bunch of them I can send, also a videotape of the boat I would be happy to share. That price of 18K minus engine sounds about right, but you would have to talk to Scotten directly. He is not particularly fond of making the open bow version, but he will do it. Mine ran in the low 80's with about 450-475 HP, with thru-transom exhaust and some mild pump improvements. I highly recommend the CP boats, and the open bow model has some useful storage and relaxation features. The only downside has been noted already - if you can't keep your foot out of the throttle, it may not be the best choice for small children or weak-hearted women.
STeveM.

GL360
09-29-2001, 01:27 PM
Hey Old Rigger--What's the proper way to do a cap job?

Heatseeker
09-29-2001, 05:47 PM
Jetmugg,
Hey, some picture would be great, as I've never seen an open bow model myself. My buddy would probably really appreciate seeing the video. He is pretty serious about replacing the Tahiti this winter. Shoot me an email.My email address is in my profile.
Wrightnow, that is sure a sweet looking craft. I also really like the one color scheme. The water level view looks almost wicked...
[This message has been edited by Heatseeker (edited September 29, 2001).]

Heatseeker
10-01-2001, 10:20 AM
Just wanted to thank jetmugg publicly. He went out of his way to send a butt-load of high res pictures(I've got to get away from this dial up connection!!!).
He even offered up a video of his CP in action.
Thanks dude!
John

flat broke
10-01-2001, 12:28 PM
Wrightnow,
My girlfriend lives off Orange and Carson, so I'm over in LB quite a bit (more like 90% of the time 8-) Anyhow, I'm not runnin a cp, but am always down for some no attitude beers and grub.
Chris

SCOTT
10-01-2001, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by wrightnow:
I just spoke to Bill Scotten this weekend and he is still building boats (CP). Are you looking for a CP I love mine and bill has been great.

SCOTT
10-01-2001, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by wrightnow:
wrightnow...
how much does your boat weigh? I have a 18' gullwing I use as a ski boat/lake racer,it weighs about 325 lbs.It has a 522 ci.low comp.10.5:1. I ran it with NJBA a couple times it ran 9.80 102 mph on pump gas!
have you run yours at the races? If so how fast does it go?
scott

wrightnow
10-01-2001, 06:51 PM
Scott - Mine weights a little more, about 340-350lbs, BBC 30 over comp. 13.5:1. I use it mostly as a ski and wakeboard tow, but I love racing it. I was suppost to race two weeks ago at NJBA but work got in the way. I'm hoping to make it to the last race this year this month just for the time slip. I know I'm somewhere around the min. 90's but quick.
As for your numbers (9.80) thats very quick for a ski boat. I would love to turn that kind of E.T.
Did you run NJBA this year and where do you spend most of your time on the water?
As you can tell I have realy enjoyed my CP and I love to hear about other CP's.

SCOTT
10-02-2001, 07:36 AM
wrightnow...
I like gullwing cp's,they are real quick.Bill scotten told me they are quicker than a tunnel.It took 2 seasons of njba to get it to run that fast.The 1st time it went 10.70 @97 mph.The grate was not right and it would slip the pump off the line but I got a grate from Tom Pap and that hooked it up real good.Then it was a mater of tuning and learning to cut a light.I ended up with a few trophys.My boat is white and orange and used to be a race boat called racial riot.

SCOTT
10-02-2001, 08:13 AM
WRIGHTNOW....
I didnt ansure your question in that post.
I havent raced in 4 years.The last time the guy pitted next to me blew over and died,shook me and my wife up and I am very aware of what can happen.Being a river guy you may have heard of this cat,his name was Asad.He impresed the shit out of me! But his boat was a ill handeling pile and i wouldnt have driven it at all.Bill Scotten told him that the boat was to light for that much H.P. BUT THIS CAT DIDNT LISTEN.If scotten tells you somthing he's the Man....you listen.FAST BOATS CAN BE DANGEROUS!
Enouph of that.I still love fast boats,but respect them.
Your other ? Castiac.Lots of good racing at the back of castaic on a sunday after noon.Havent lost a race yet,but i pick my races.

wrightnow
10-02-2001, 09:53 AM
Scott
I know what you mean by dialing –in, I have been playing with my grate this past summer working with Jack (MPD). He’s got a group of CP’s he been working with (data collection systems) and now he has data as to how an 18’ CP reacts in race water. Jack done a great job creating a block for more top end, but still handle river water.
Great to hear your kicking a$$ up on the lake and I’m with you I try to pick my races wisely. I still have not lost a race, but I know of a few guys that want me and I think they might just to do it this next season.
Do you ever make it out to the rive anymore? If so we need to get together some time. We are starting to get a good size group of CP’s on our side of the river, You would enjoy it.

SCOTT
10-02-2001, 10:19 AM
WRIGHTNOW....
I will be hitting the parker strip next season as this winter i am restoring my boat from the trailer up,new paint,bigger motor,and mabey a pop-off.I think there's a clasic jet club i would like to get involved with.I am putting together a 565 ci 14.5:1 long rod with brodix 2x heads, dart tunnel ram,big ass roller cam and the rest of what it takes.I am estamateing 950 hp.IM expecting to run low 9's@112/115 mph.And Idont belive thats real safe.If guy's want to go faster lake racin,they got bigger balls than I.But I hear I'd get an ass whoopin at lost lake.

wrightnow
10-02-2001, 11:59 AM
Scott
I go south of parker to a place called Big River and due to the water levels we don’t see any big boats (over 22ft). This makes for some great water most of the time including holidays. There are about 10 CP’s that hang on this part of the river or should I say dominate this part of the river. There are a few 19’ Daytona’s that are making at run at us now, so you never know what next season brings.
We almost never miss the Saturday night races at lost lake and last Labor Day I even ran. There are some fast boats at lost lake but not a lot of quick ones. With your ET you will do fine on most weekends.
Most weekends at lost lake there are not many triple digit boats with every now and then some big dog shows up (Harold Bruce JR. with his 140mph daytone). They don’t like to squat at lost lake so just set the boat up for a rolling start.
As for your project, that sounds killer. I don’t believe to many boats will be able to touch you, with your weight to power ratio. But I agree anything over 110mph in a 18’ gullwing takes bigger balls than I have, but would love to watch.

SCOTT
10-02-2001, 02:19 PM
wrightnow...
Do you ever see a black 18' gullwing called windwalker running around?.Thats my buddys old boat.Its real fast 8:40s@123mph on nos.
Dont race him!
WHAT DO YOU MEAN RACE FROM A ROLL! Slow them fools down and take advantage of what your jet is good for,especially flat bottoms!

wrightnow
10-02-2001, 08:08 PM
Scott
Thanks for the warning of a black CP, I will stay clear. As for those rolling starts, when ever I race on my end of the river I alway squat, but as for lost lake races, it's there water, their race.
Lets stay in touch, I would like to see the process of your project.

BOATDRINKS
10-02-2001, 08:40 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SCOTT:
[B]wrightnow...
Do you ever see a black 18' gullwing called windwalker running around?.Thats my buddys old boat.Its real fast 8:40s@123mph on nos.
Dont race him!
WHAT DO YOU MEAN RACE FROM A ROLL! Slow them fools down and take advantage of what your jet is good for,especially flat bottoms!
Scott,
SMALL WORLD! I ran "WINDWALKER" at an NJBA event in 1990 at Lake Ming. The owner then was a guy named Kenny Hobson.
Ran 10.18 with a "Rat Factory" built 468 with a single two barell carb. (yes a 2 barrel!!) my rookie pass in NJBA. It was a great boat. I've got some pictures somewhere I'll try to dig them out.
Boatdrinks
[This message has been edited by BOATDRINKS (edited October 02, 2001).]

SCOTT
10-03-2001, 06:30 AM
BOATDRINKS...
The Windwalker Im talking about is Alan zellars old boat #714.Alan may have got the boat from him.I didnt meet alan till 1993.Was the boat black on top,yellow on the bottom?
[This message has been edited by SCOTT (edited October 03, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by SCOTT (edited October 03, 2001).]

SCOTT
10-03-2001, 06:50 AM
Wrightnow...
check out your e-mail.I e-mailed you a picture of my boat.I dont know how to put a picture on the hot boat web site.

wrightnow
10-03-2001, 01:00 PM
Hey Scott,
Thanks for the pic, Thats a great looking boat and a nice clean run, but you call that wet. How loose did you go from there?
I need to get a picture of mine from the side to see how wet I am, my buddy thinks it's too loose now.
But you got to love the look of a CP on a set.
Scott I will post your pic on the board tonight.
[This message has been edited by wrightnow (edited October 03, 2001).]

BOATDRINKS
10-03-2001, 01:09 PM
Scott,
Yep, definitely the same boat. Zellars was the 4th owner I think. It was a great boat, lots of fun and very stable over 100 mph. I can't tell you how easy that boat was to drive. It was my first drag boat run, coming from tunnel boats. It felt just like a quick pleasure cruise up to the dam at sunset. Good entry level river ride for someone who wants a quick hull to mate with turn key power.
BOATDRINKS

SCOTT
10-04-2001, 11:42 AM
Wrightnow....
I moved the motor back 6 in. from there and left the hardware alone.Now it breaks water under the damper and runs a little more nose high.

wrightnow
10-06-2001, 07:55 PM
Scott,
Here you go, I'm not sure just how far back my motor is setting, But I made a space for the drive shaft that's 3 inchs long and it's seem to have made differance on how its runs. http://wsphotofews.excite.com/035/GU/ZL/pV/5Q58427.jpg
[This message has been edited by wrightnow (edited October 07, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by wrightnow (edited October 12, 2001).]