PDA

View Full Version : taxes

vodkarocks
08-13-2004, 08:06 AM
The CBO study, due to be released today, found that the wealthiest 20 percent, whose incomes averaged $182,700 in 2001, saw their share of federal taxes drop from 64.4 percent of total tax payments in 2001 to 63.5 percent this year. The top 1 percent, earning $1.1 million, saw their share fall to 20.1 percent of the total, from 22.2 percent.
With Kerry and all the dems whining about tax cuts for the rich I am sure they will try to nail Bush on this. But am I crazy for thinking that 20% of the people paying 63.5% of the taxes is enough and that 1% of the people in this country are getting screwed paying 20% of the taxes.
I would like for just one reporter to ask any dem how much should the top 20% have to pay. Is it 70 or 75% or 100%, you never hear them say how much the so called rich should pay just that they don't pay enough.
One more dumb question then I'm done. How can you have tax cuts and not include the people who are paying most of the taxes?

Jordy
08-13-2004, 08:13 AM
I still get a kick when Kerry talks about the wealthy as if he was living in a van down by the river. :D :cool: :D

Chris Winn
08-13-2004, 08:21 AM
worst part of this is the people (even some of the liberals on the boards) like to state that since some of us have a little money that we should use that to fund social programs for those that don't care enoungh to earn it themselves.
it still irks me to see someone complain of what other have without putting forth the effort required to earn theirs...

totenhosen
08-13-2004, 08:36 AM
What do you guys think about a flat tax? (I believe it was Steve Forbes who proposed this a few years back.)
I think it was basically no deductions and a flat 13% tax of your income.

08-13-2004, 08:43 AM
worst part of this is the people (even some of the liberals on the boards) like to state that since some of us have a little money that we should use that to fund social programs for those that don't care enoungh to earn it themselves.
it still irks me to see someone complain of what other have without putting forth the effort required to earn theirs...Its called "re-distribution of wealth" and "class envy"

Chris Winn
08-13-2004, 08:48 AM
Its called "re-distribution of wealth" and "class envy"
well they should get over it and learn that the one way to overcome it is to work hard and compete in the levels in which what "money" and "class" can be earned.
people don't automaticly get college diplomas and ecectutive postitions, those items are earned by risks taken and carefull planning with decisive execution.

gramps
08-13-2004, 08:52 AM
What do you guys think about a flat tax? (I believe it was Steve Forbes who proposed this a few years back.)
It would work TOO good!!!!!!! That is probally the best plan anyone has ever come up with as far as paying taxes but the problem is the government will never go for it!!!!! It would put too many goventment employees out of a job. The size of the IRS would probally be cut by 75%

Jordy
08-13-2004, 08:52 AM
people don't automaticly get college diplomas and ecectutive postitions, those items are earned by risks taken and carefull planning with decisive execution.
Dammit, you mean the Money and Status Fairy isn't just going to fly around and make peoples lives better while they sit and take no active role in it? I suppose next you're going to tell me there is no such thing as the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus either right? :jawdrop: :D :D :D

Excessive Force
08-13-2004, 08:54 AM
Has anyone heard of people that get "taken off" the IRS's list by dropping out of the income tax dealio, voluntarily? Does it work. I know of one person who "opted out" of the system and hasnt legally paid taxes for over 12 years now. Any opinions on this, or other horror stories?

Chris Winn
08-13-2004, 08:56 AM
Dammit, you mean the Money and Status Fairy isn't just going to fly around and make peoples lives better while they sit and take no active role in it? I suppose next you're going to tell me there is no such thing as the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus either right? :jawdrop: :D :D :D
damn jordy,
don't tell me that is how you have scored some of those nice boats :smile:
is so i got passed over by that fairy....

totenhosen
08-13-2004, 09:36 AM
Has anyone heard of people that get "taken off" the IRS's list by dropping out of the income tax dealio, voluntarily? Does it work. I know of one person who "opted out" of the system and hasnt legally paid taxes for over 12 years now. Any opinions on this, or other horror stories?
On KROQ around tax time Kevin and Bean always talk to this guy how has done it. However, he constantly tells how he is harrassed, goes to court every month, and basically just deals with a lot of BS. He's been in jail several times as well.

totenhosen
08-13-2004, 09:39 AM
It would work TOO good!!!!!!! That is probally the best plan anyone has ever come up with as far as paying taxes but the problem is the government will never go for it!!!!! It would put too many goventment employees out of a job. The size of the IRS would probally be cut by 75%
Your right that is most likely the biggest hang-up and the fact that it makes too much sense to do so. It would end a lot of the complaining that some people pay too much or too little.

Tom Foolery
08-13-2004, 09:48 AM
Thats too fair & balanced for our government.

vodkarocks
08-13-2004, 09:57 AM
The argument I always hear against a flat tax is that is that it would shift the tax burden to people that make less money. It's another one of those arguments I just don't understand. If the flat tax is 20% (which I would be happy to pay) and you make $100,000\yr you pay $20,000 and if you make 30,000 you pay $6,000, and someone that makes a million pays $200,000.
Seems fair to me

totenhosen
08-13-2004, 10:12 AM
The argument I always hear against a flat tax is that is that it would shift the tax burden to people that make less money. It's another one of those arguments I just don't understand. If the flat tax is 20% (which I would be happy to pay) and you make $100,000\yr you pay $20,000 and if you make 30,000 you pay $6,000, and someone that makes a million pays $200,000.
Seems fair to me
Some people always complain about equaling the playing field. So lets start by having everyone pay the same % of their income. If you think about it every other aspect of taxation is the same for everyone except for when it comes to income. If two people with different incomes buy the same car brand new they pay the same sales tax and registration fees. When they fill it up with gas they pay the same tax %. ETC ETC ETC.

Jordy
08-13-2004, 10:14 AM
Does anyone remember the email that was going around about all the different classes going out to dinner and who paid what percent of the bill? It was pretty interesting and kind of put the whole thing into perspective. :idea:

Froggystyle
08-13-2004, 10:25 AM
The big problem is, One person in 500K makes 1.1 million dollars/year. 480,000 of those probably make under 180K.
That means 480,000 people will see their taxes go up a lot. Not something you usually vote for.
So, the vote ostensibly would be 480,000 to 20,000.
Americans are selfish, and are for the most part interested only in what is good for them. Fair is unimportant.
I would love a flat tax. Big time.

Dribble
08-13-2004, 12:41 PM
Your friend is going to go to jail (eventually).

NorCal Gameshow
08-13-2004, 12:48 PM
flat tax makes toooo much sense...
that's why we will never see it.... :frown:

TheLurker
08-13-2004, 09:30 PM
I used to like the Flat Tax idea but I now think a National Sales Tax would be better. Maybe a combination on the two?

572Daytona
08-13-2004, 10:45 PM
I read the news article on that and this was my favorite line:
People with earnings in the lowest 20 percent, which averaged $16,620, saw their effective tax rate fall to 5.2 percent from 6.7 percent, the CBO said. But Democrats said that meant their average tax cut was only $250.
Gee what a surprise, if you are paying less than $1000 taxes to begin with of course you aren't going to see a very big cut dollar wise, you can take that one step further and say that those paying no taxes got a $0 tax cut, oh the horrors. I guess fractions and percentages are just too difficult of a concept for democrats to comprehend. I would love to see a flat tax that does away with all of the BS tax deductions, you can bet that most of these millionaire liberals wanting higher tax rates have all sorts of tax dodges and shelters. One problem I can envision with a national sales tax is that it may start a grey market for goods, especially for overseas goods so it may actually hurt American businesses.

framer1
08-14-2004, 06:02 AM
If you redistribute all the wealth in this country equally between all the people, I would guess the same people who had money before would have it all back again within two years. IMHO Some people know how to make money some don't :wink:

bigq
08-14-2004, 07:05 AM
Not to mention all these "wealthy people" are the ones providing some of of the jobs in America. I don't know many people in the lower tax bracket providing a lifestyle for another American :cool: . How do they suppose these rich people are going to pay for higher taxes :rolleyes: , uh cut payroll, lower wages...hmmmm. Talk about beating people up for being successful.

Mr.Havasu
08-14-2004, 07:16 AM
flat tax makes toooo much sense...
that's why we will never see it.... :frown:
The flat rate worked well for the mormon church. 10% is 10% rather you are rich or poor, and when I last checked the mormon church was one of the richest in the world.

RandyH
08-14-2004, 09:08 AM
If you redistribute all the wealth in this country equally between all the people, I would guess the same people who had money before would have it all back again within two years. IMHO Some people know how to make money some don't :wink:
I agree but would add this. Some people have the will and desire to work for their money and to make a better life for themselves and some want to work as little as possible and complain when they dont have what others have.
RandyH

08-14-2004, 09:24 AM
The flat rate worked well for the mormon church. 10% is 10% rather you are rich or poor, and when I last checked the mormon church was one of the richest in the world.What do you expect? They don't drink, smoke, gamble or any other vice. If I lived like that I'd be rich too. :cry: