PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Diverter

Lawler
08-13-2004, 09:33 AM
I've got a hydraulic diverter on my 1986 Eliminator. I had the thing working fine, it went up and down....never went real fast but it worked. Now it won't move at all but it still makes noise like it wants to. I have never had the boat in the water this year. I'm hoping to get it in this weekend or the next if I can figure this out. Any suggestions?

copperrat20
08-13-2004, 10:02 AM
Put fluid in the tank. It won't work without fluid. :crossx:

copperrat20
08-13-2004, 10:04 AM
No but on the real - check your fluid level and bleed the line. It might have air in it. Air is compressable and hydraulic fluid is not. It's like bleeding the brakes on a car. Also check your power source. Oh wait you said it makes noise but doesn't move. Has to be either fluid problems or the pump went out.

Lawler
08-13-2004, 10:47 AM
I'll check it. I just figured that if I haven't seen any leaks and the thing was working before that it wouldn't be the fluid level, but I'll check it.

copperrat20
08-13-2004, 12:58 PM
The actuall cylinder could be leaking at the pump you just don't see it cause it is in the water. Just my 2 cents.

HOOTER SLED-
08-13-2004, 01:17 PM
Hopefully you didn't get water in it. Is the ATF milky?? If not, take off the plastic cover to the pump and tap it with a rubber mallet. Sometimes the pumps will freeze up from condensation. It will really freeze up if you got water in it. I actually had to take mine back to Place before to have it replaced. They should replace it if it's not out of warranty. If you mounted it where water can get in it, you're screwed. I think it was only about $80 to replace the pump though.

Lawler
08-17-2004, 04:26 AM
Is there a certain kind of fluid that everyone uses?? I still haven't figured out the problem. The fluid level seems to be fine but I don't get any movement out of it when I hit the button??

propless
08-21-2004, 04:21 AM
Start with the electrical just to be sure (the fuse and that your positive and negative connections are clean and tight). Now don't freak with this one, but take a rubber mallet and hit the hydraulic pump hard a few times since you have not used it this year - they have a tendency to stick when not used for extended periods of time.
propless

Lawler
08-21-2004, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to check these things tonight. If I can't find anything it might be time to get something else.

cave
08-21-2004, 06:08 AM
How old is the pump? Bennet Marine has a great replacement policy if the pump is under 3 years old. It cost me 40 bux to ship my old unit back to them.
I had the same problem. Turned out my fluid holding tank was not tight to the unit allowing air to enter. Try to tighten the reservoir.
Also If your battery is week this will affect your pump. The pump needs 12 volts to work properly. Make sure the pump is connected directly to the battery and not to any accessory outlet. Red wire directly to the positive battery post and black wire to the negative post.
Good luck.

Danhercules
08-21-2004, 10:15 AM
One more for the "just try it"list.
Tap on the 2 round solonoids under the cover and the two outside the cover. Somtimes they will stick, not letting the diverter move up or down.

Lawler
08-22-2004, 08:30 PM
OK guys I messed around with the diverter a little bit today and it was still making noise but it would not move the jet up or down. I disconnected the hydraulic cylinder from the jet and I loosened the fittings and there was plenty of oil being pumped to the cylinder. Once this pressure was released then the thing seemed to work fine, it moved up and down until..............I hooked it back up to the jet and then it wouldn't move the nozzle up an down. ??? Anyone else have any problems like this? It still makes noise like it wants to move but doesn't????

cave
08-22-2004, 08:41 PM
Lawler, this is what happen to mine too. I loosen the top and bottom fittings on the valve a bit and it would move but once I tighten up the fittings it wouldnt budge.
I called Bennett marine and they replaced mine for the cost of shipping the old one back.
every one here helped me out. I had 12volts and mine was hooked up correctly. If I would of tighten up the holding tank to the pump it would of been fine. Since it was still covered by warranty. I chose to replace the whole deal.

Lawler
08-22-2004, 08:45 PM
Where you getting air in the lines since it wasn't tight?

cave
08-23-2004, 04:29 AM
Yea at first but then I would alternate the top then the bottom on the Cylinder. I used up some fluid, like a quart and a 1/2. When I tighten up the top the diverter would go down and vise versa. Lawler, how old is the pump?
Try this link out. Its for the trim tabs but it will get you to the right peps bennett marine (http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/) The warranty is like 5 years on the pump. You can get in touch with someone there by contacting them. They are a great customer service company!

spectratoad
08-23-2004, 07:48 AM
Here is a copy of the e-mail I got from Tim Place when I was having problemts with my Place Diverter. He and Bennett were awesome to work with. Always had an answer for my questions.
Todd,
sounds like the motor is bad. Because your out of state anyway, take the Hyd. pump out of the boat, drain the fluid and ship it to Bennett Marine. The pump has a 5 year warranty if it is not water damaged. They will send you a New one.
Bennett Marine Inc.
550 Jim Moran Blvd.
Deerfield Beach, FL.
33442-1710
Tell them it's for a Place Diverter.
Good Luck,
Tim Place
Here is from Bennett.
Thank you for contacting us with your questions.
Everything Mr. Place stated is true and it would be helpful if you would include a short note with your return shipping address & phone number, so we can contact you if need be. Don't worry about including a copy of the sales receipt, since your work is good enough for me!
If you have anymore questions, please let me know!
Sincerely,
M.J. Thomas
Client Services
Bennett Marine Inc.
www.BennettTrimTabs.com
Phone: (954) 427-1400
Fax: (954) 480-2897

cruser
08-24-2004, 12:13 AM
Mine is "Sticky" at the start of every year. After a few attempts at getting it to go, taping on the solenoids/cycling the switch up/down real fast etc., it comes around. I think it is somehow related to the voltage it sees. If the battery is not 100% up to full charge, the pump starts sticking.
cruzer

Lawler
08-24-2004, 05:57 AM
There seems to be 2 solenoids for each direction? 2 for moving up and 2 for moving down? How do I know which ones do what?