PDA

View Full Version : Oil Oil Everywhere

dgie
08-13-2004, 09:32 PM
I have a question. As most of you all know I have an olds 455. On top one one valve cover I have a Moroso breather. On the other side I have a pcv valve. I blocked it off with a piece of plastic and zip tie and now the oil is seeping out of somewhere around the valve cover. What should be in there a PCV valve like there is or? should it be blocked, or? I assume that if the engine were in a car the PCV would be plumbed to the aircleaner where there would be a little filter in there. What do I do with it in a boat? :2purples:

ORSpectra20
08-13-2004, 09:36 PM
:cool: Correct me if I am wrong but the PCV Valve is usually hooked to a vacuum source on the motor to reduce crank case pressures and avoid the oil problem that you are talking about, :cool:

malcolm
08-13-2004, 09:43 PM
Why would you cover the PCV? Sounds like you were fixing something that wasn't broke. :hammerhea

dgie
08-13-2004, 09:44 PM
not mine, when I got the boat it was not hooked to anything. It had tape around it???? not sure what to do with it now where to hook it to, or? Unfortunatly this is my learning curve. I hooked everything up with this new motor just like the guy before me. Thinking that he had some sense in what he was doing....no dice the guy was a moron. :hammerhea Now I am weeding out what he did wrong one thing at a time. I however am learning a lot by doing things right. Long story short, what do I do with it?

malcolm
08-13-2004, 09:46 PM
Breather on one side, PCV in the other side.
http://home1.gte.net/res09phe/wedright.jpg

dgie
08-13-2004, 09:47 PM
These smileys are tripping me out :220v: :skull: :idea: :cry: :lightsabe

ORSpectra20
08-13-2004, 09:48 PM
I am almost positive It should be connected to a vacuum source on or below your carburator. Can anyone confirm :sqeyes: that??

dgie
08-13-2004, 09:49 PM
Oh shit is that what that port on the base of carb is for. I covered that up too with a cap.....

malcolm
08-13-2004, 09:50 PM
Did you look at my pic? :D

ORSpectra20
08-13-2004, 09:51 PM
As noted above if you don't keep the crankcase pressure down it builds up and blows oil everywhere................ :skull: :skull: :skull: :220v: :skull: :skull: :skull:

dgie
08-13-2004, 09:53 PM
yea i see the breather on one side and what looks like a hose running from the other valve cover to the base of the carb is that right?

malcolm
08-13-2004, 09:54 PM
That's just 3/8" fuel line going from the carb to the PCV plugged into the valve cover.

dgie
08-13-2004, 09:57 PM
ok, now why do we need to hook vacume to the valve cover, how does it work, why does it work. Also Malcolm why does your engine look so much cleaner then mine :D

malcolm
08-13-2004, 10:00 PM
To keep the blow-by from blowing your oil out.
I took almost a week off work to get that motor in there that clean. ;)

dgie
08-13-2004, 10:04 PM
Can you expand, whats blow by? and what is this suposed to be :eat:

ORSpectra20
08-13-2004, 10:07 PM
:cool: Correct me if I am wrong but the PCV Valve is usually hooked to a vacuum source on the motor to reduce crank case pressures and avoid the oil problem that you are talking about, :cool:
Did you read all the reply's???

malcolm
08-13-2004, 10:10 PM
Crankcase pressure, the small amounts of compressed air that leak past your rings. It's pretty smelly, better to suck it down the carb then smell it. The PCV valve will limit how much vacuum pulls on the engine, so it might raise the idle a bit by making a slight vacuum leak.
And I have no clue what's up with that hungry smilie! :supp:

dgie
08-13-2004, 10:11 PM
Sorry, I did not see that one probably typing at the time, thanks

dgie
08-13-2004, 10:21 PM
cool thanks Malcolm. I guess the fact that I do not have this hooked up. Explains why when I always have zoomed across the lake. I would always see oil trying to come out of my breather. I assumed it was because of the high flow oil pump I have in there. I even went so far as to get restricted push rods from Smith Bros to limit the oil to the heads. (Going on a tangent here) Any idea what the need of a high flow oil pump in an olds that has its stigma with keeping oil at the top to begin with. I bought the Mondello High flow oil pump, restricors and 10 qt oil pan as a kit. Seems like the high flow pump is adding to the problem. Is that right or am I thinking about it wrong? :confused:

dave186
08-13-2004, 10:31 PM
hey guys, on my 460 i have M/T valve covers and only one has a hole in it. so right now i have a breather in it, but at WOT there is a bit of blow by (smoke) coming out and it gets annoying. i thought about putting a PCV in there but it doesnt have anywhere else to breath from. would that work?

ORSpectra20
08-13-2004, 11:24 PM
I believe they make a combination piece. Stainless breather with a hose hookup on the top of it. Not sure if it is a high end item for high horsepower motors.

sidewound
08-14-2004, 06:09 AM
Breather on one side, PCV in the other side.
http://home1.gte.net/res09phe/wedright.jpg
Mine works fine like this Same as malcom
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/114Copy_of_MILL_IN_003-med.jpg
Peace Man

sleekvino
08-14-2004, 07:10 AM
so you run pcv no mater what i just have 2 breathers on my boat and when i get on it i get oil coming out of my dipstick tube,mabe ill try one after i put my new piston in it.i love these hot boats. :coffeycup :confused:

Havasu Hangin'
08-14-2004, 07:10 AM
I believe they make a combination piece. Stainless breather with a hose hookup on the top of it. Not sure if it is a high end item for high horsepower motors.
I just put these on my boat. All you have to do is buy a tall breather, and tap the side for some threads.

datdude
08-16-2004, 02:31 PM
I have a 455 as well. Mine blows back into an over flow, I have also seen them sent to the headers to be blown out.

aaronb
08-16-2004, 05:16 PM
If you've got a LOT of crankcase pressure (high compression possibly resulting in higher amounts of blowby), you might have to get some greater source of vacuum than the manifold vacuum (hooking it to the carb). I read somewhere about using some sort of old air pump off of a 70's cadillac or something, or you can do something like this:
http://www.id10t.org/albums/DroppingItIn/DSCN0038.sized.jpg
Vacuum created by the exhaust pulses will pull the crankcase pressure out. There's a one-way valve that prevents backfires, etc from sending pressure back into the crankcase. The valves are like $3 at napa. Standard part for 80's-90's smog stuff on fords and chevys.
Works like a champ with my 13:1 setup.
-Aaron