PDA

View Full Version : 460 FORD w/tunnel ram 750's or single 850???

76Tahiti460
08-21-2001, 08:36 AM
I am almost finshed gathering all my quality parts for my 460 FBB build-up, minus the pistons (compression???) and intake/carb set-up. I have heard alot of hype about tunnel rams and single carb set-ups, but everyone has there opinion. Tunnel rams are just damm good looking on a 18 foot jetboat when polished and set-up right, but nothing looks worse than not being able to start it, or having to bottle feed it at the peir (Major fire hazard). Now are the unreliable set-ups people are referring to set-up correctly? IE flowmatched carbs, enough fuel pressure, quality linkage sets (not cheap!!), respectable compression ratios, enough battery to turn it over LOL, etc, etc... Yeah I would love to tear the river up with a single carb and performer RPM set-up, but why can't I do it with a tunnel ram that is set-up correctly and dependable? Could some one give me some sound advice to how I should go about setting this up on my boat so I am ready for next memorial weekend. My planned expenses are leaning towards (460 BB bored 0.060+) a polished Weiand Tunnel Ram, twin flowmatched identically jetted 750 D.pumper carbs w/barry grant linkage, the boat has a holley blue pump with regulator (is this enough pump for this set-up?). The bottom end is stock (externally balanced) ARP fastners, heads are 92cc heads (cheap heads) roller rockers (modified to work w/heads) Comp cams Extreme marine cam matched to HP/torque band, stiffer springs matched to cam lift. I am taking my time to do this right because I want this awesome looking and performing set-up but I want it done right. I think I have my homework done throughly, but if I left something please inform me!!! PLEASE READ THIS ALL CAREFULLY AND LIST SOME SOUND ADVICE WITH PART NUMBERS IF POSSIABLE... I am attempting to get this TOPIC as popular as the "Berk" topic but with a little less BS...Let the replys begin

NordicSquirt
08-21-2001, 10:04 AM
Sounds like you have weighed ALL of your options, but you are letting the "Looks" factor overrun the "Run" factor. My boat has a 454, which HAD a Tunnel Ram and two List# 1850 Holley 600 cfm Vac. Secondary carbs. After much trouble with linkages, fuel delivery problems,idling problems,etc. They were removed in favor of a Holley Single Plane Intake, which is called a "Strip Dominator" and an 850 DP Holley. With this setup there are no linkages to fabricate or purchase, less fuel problems, easier starting, etc. Another factor you didn't consider was fuel consumption. After switching from the TR, I am now using a lot LESS fuel, and it starts on the first try. I will agree that a polished TR with Scoop, etc. looks impressive, but performance is not always at its best with a TR. Personally, I lost no HP or RPM when I removed my setup. I installed a new cam and headers at that time and picked up about 500 rpm. It's strictly a personal preference, but for me I choose performance over looks. Good luck with your decision.

76Tahiti460
08-21-2001, 01:01 PM
Ok I understand the dependability of the single carb set-up and the fact there is less complications with parts. But was your tunnel ram set-up with quality parts? I understand that cost sometimes supercedes ones wants, but if your Tunnel Ram was set-up with quality parts such as flow matched carbs, well engineered linkage, sufficent fuel pressure and volume, do you think that your set-up could have been just as fesiable as your single carb set-up minus the cost? We both know that the tunnel ram runs and performs better in the higher RPM applications and is inherently rough at idle compared to a single set-up and the single carb set-up is a off the line choice up to about 5-6K RPM, but if the cam complimented the tunnel ram as well as compression ratio, do you think that cost would be the only factor in a reliable tunnel ram verse single carb set-up, or do you think that no one yet (Barry Grant, Weiand, Holley) has come up with a available system yet that would cure your past tunnel ram problems? If they have a kit for linkage that is unparelell to any other, than I will save for it. As you can tell I believe in performance as much as looks, but lets face it....the river is more image than performance...no? But how long will I put up with image (tunnel ram unrelibility) before I wish I had listened to you about a single carb 850 Demon or so and dual plane? I am not trying to beat a dead horse, I see your opinion, but I am trying to better understand what I want and how I can get there at what cost.

Oldsquirt
08-21-2001, 01:16 PM
Plenty of guys run tunnel rams with 2-fours, some for speed , some for looks. Done right you shouldn't have any problems. The only part of your plan that worries me is that the carb choice is way too big for the engine. You will never turn that motor high enough to require 1500cfm! Think along the lines of 2-600's or even smaller. It will make for a more drivable set up. Good luck.

76Tahiti460
08-21-2001, 01:20 PM
Here are two carbs that I was looking at purchaseing off ebay, what do you think about these, and also would my Holley Blue pump with 6AN line supply sufficent fuel to my beast?
matched pair of 600 CFM Holley Vacuum Secondary Carbs
List 1850. These carbs have been professionally rebuilt and are ready to
bolt on and go. This is a very clean set of carbs and will look nice on your
dual quad manifold. The carbs have #66 jets, #65 power valve, and #9
metering plates stock. Along with the new kit the carbs have new vacuum
secondary diaphragms installed. They also have power valve blowout
protection check valves installed, a must for 2x4 dual quad set ups and
something many rebuilders don't take the time to do. I guarantee these
carburetors for a period of 6 months or I will repair/replace or refund the
carb for the full purchase price, so please bid with confidance. If you have
any questions please ask and I will answer asap. Payment: money orders
accepted. Buyer to pay actual shipping charges.

76Tahiti460
08-21-2001, 01:22 PM
Do I interpret the word "Matched carbs" as same jets, metering blocks, etc....or can I safely assume they are flowmatched as well? He wants $280.00 for both, "I said both!" one money order for $280.00 delivered to me in San Diego. Yeah or ney?
[This message has been edited by 76Tahiti460 (edited August 21, 2001).]

Brendella
08-21-2001, 01:44 PM
I have a tunnel ram with dual 750's thats the way I bought the boat. don't know about the jets, but mine runs real good except for first time start ups. takes alittle gas to get down the TR. I believe that with the TR you will launch alot faster. Atleast I do compare to my buddies who run singles. If the price is right I will sell mine as one unit. tunnel ram carbs and scoop. the only thing is my Tr is not pollished.

jroos
08-21-2001, 01:46 PM
I say yeah Tahiti! I`m doing the same thing, but with 750`s. 4150 series and 2 inch spacers for more height. I`m doing this because i already have a 750 and a tunnel looks a whole hell of a lot better than a single carb. I`m not worried about fuel, as long as I`m not spittin` raw fuel out the pipes. A 600 new goes for about 180-200. This guy may be pulling your leg about what`s in them. Ask some questions about general automotives and see what his answers are. Some say I will gain my ass of and others say I will lose, others say its too damn much carb(1500cfm). Only thing that has me skeptical is the fact that I`m running exhaust logs and I know that`ll hurt my max rpm. If you look in the new Hot Boat jet tech, the article, continued on pg. 122, states that a tunnel w/ 750`s gained. And that a jet is hard to over carb. I just don`t want to sacrifice idle quality or dependebility. Basically, I`m gonna gamble. If it doesn`t work to my liking, I`ll go 600`s. 750`s are way easier to unload than 600`s.

racingrascal
08-21-2001, 01:53 PM
Brendella, if it runs so good whys sell the set up? Just wondering, I am putting a tunnel ram on my new boat. I all ready have the parts though,or should I say the builder does.
Andy

76Tahiti460
08-21-2001, 01:56 PM
So the tunnel ram is a no brainer part # wise, but what about linkage (inline for 1850's, or transverse/sideways for 750's), and what kind of fuel set-up are you guys running? Electric or mechanical?

jroos
08-21-2001, 02:04 PM
I`m running electric and mechanical. I was told I needed 2 pressure regulators and 2 electric pumps, but I believe that is just adding more "show" . I am running a Holley blue electric and carter mechanical. 2 inline filters from each tank that meet to a water seperator. Personally i really think the 60`s are the way to go, but as stated i already have a 750. Summit has a kit already for you with the linkage for about 650! I`d jump on that. Who knows as I have yet to order, I may got that route(600`S) AS WELL.

76Tahiti460
08-21-2001, 02:10 PM
Well I just spoke with Jet Performance in Huntingbeach and they said for $495.00 each he could set-up two 650 DP 4150 carbs matched to the motor's cam, and both identically tuned together, and for another $250 each, powder coat the body and metering blocks, then chrome the bowls base plate and linkage NOT BAD FOR the kick ass river image everyone looks up to. Plus they warranty the work..Call them up 1-714-848-5500, they want your cam specs before they will build you your carb, can't beat that kind of meticulous attention...What do you guy's think?

jroos
08-21-2001, 02:20 PM
Tahiti, that`s 1500 just on carbs. Dude, buy an intake and 1150 dominator! Then get the 400 hp Nitros kit! Hell if it ain`t tall, you`ll smoke everyone on the river.

Rat Raft
08-21-2001, 04:33 PM
I bought my boat from a friend of mine who had bought it with it not running. It had a TR W/ 750 dp carbs on it. He couldnt get it to run right so he bought a edlebrock single carb intake and I loaned him a 750 vs holley. He got it running and decieded not to keep it so I bought it and got my carb back. I ran it for most of two seasons this way and decieded to put the TR back on. I rebuilt the 750 DP's and got it running but they were just too big. It would run full RPM at a little past half throttle. The rest of it was just dead. I sold the 750DP's to a blower guy who is still running them so there was nothing wrong with the carbs. I put 750VS carbs on and it ran a lot better. I had a couple of 600 VS carbs laying around so I decieded to try them. It was much more responsive and gained 200 rpm. I would try some 450's if I could find some cheap that I could play with. My engine starts fine but is a little slower to start than with the single carb. It uses about the same ammount of fuel. It idles about the same. I gained a little rpm and some midrange power over the single 4 but only with the 600 carbs. To run 2 carbs you need to increase the accelarator squirter size and if they are vs you need to hook the secondary vacumn diaphrams together. I run 66 Jets in the primries and 70's in the secondaries. Mine are mounted sideways. I run the center hung float bowls so they look just like the big ones. My engine is a 427 chevy 11.5-1 rectangle port heads w/2.3 intakes 1.94 ex. 603/629 solid cam
If you dont like to mess with things and just want it to run great first time out go with one carb. If you like to tinker with it and dont mind the hassle of two go for the TR with SMALL carbs. Oh yeah mine will run fine on one holley blue pump but I have one on each tank that I can run at the same time if I want.

TX19
08-21-2001, 05:12 PM
76....I have run a Weiand tunnel ram on a 460 with twin 600's, 660's, 750's, and 1150's, and with a single carb top with an 850, a dual plane Motorsport with an 850, a Port-o-Sonic single plane with the 850 and an Edelbrock Victor Jr. with an 850, 1050, and 1150. My favorite is the Victor Jr. because it run's as good or better (for me) and doesn't require as much maintenance (for everyone). Second choice is the Port-o-Sonic for the same reasons.
If you want the high look of the tunnel ram, have you considered the single 4 top on a tunnel ram? If I wasn't real handy with a wrench, like being able to rebuild the carbs and install them yourself, I would not even consider the 2 fours...just my preference...
tainted by experience.

NordicSquirt
08-21-2001, 06:52 PM
The tunnel ram thing is great, but how many Super Comp dragsters run a Tunnel Ram. None. They all run Single plane manifolds with Dominators. In my opinion, the Tunnel Ram idea went out a long time ago. There is a formula somewhere that calculates ideal CFM for a motor. On a warmed up engine(400-500 ci.) the ideal CFM would be less than 800 cfm. Why waste the time and money on such an elaborate setup? You are talking about 1500 cfm, and $1500 for the hardware. Either you have more money than sense, or are just hell bent on this TR idea. Do what you want, but I will be passing by you with just ONE carb.Good luck.

76Tahiti460
08-21-2001, 07:07 PM
NordicSquirt I don't doubt your observations or theory, I know it to be very true. I have yet to see one TR on a dragster, mostly all blown fuel injected, or high rise single planes with spacers and a stout flusher on top, maybe with NOS. But, based on this poll that I have conducted, and a good one it has been, I think I am going to attempt the TR with 600 Holley 1850's VS. I noticed the familiar linkage problem come up here and there, but that is just problem that needs to be better researched instead of Summits little TR package which in my opinion is RAWWer than casting in a mold (hence the words at the bottom of there ad....needs tuneing, modifications, and fabricateing). I think both set-ups work in theory but the TR seems to be a little more costly, yeah $1500.00 for carbs is crazy, and I am avoiding that, and the set-up takes more patience and time, and some maybe 3 cases of beer verses a six-pack it would take to put together a single carb with manifold....But it boils down to this....I LOVE Jetboating and drag racing "almost" more than I love drinking beer, so tinkering everyday on my boat and "stang" makes me feel like a true fan of the sport/hobbie. I do thank you for your advice and I plan to do a set-up such as that, so when I pull up to you in Parker, I'll make sure and ask you to put your money where your mouth is, or at least a keg! and I almost sure you'll be up the challenge, and then...and only then...will I feel that I have exhausted all resources in building my project, because you'll be asking me then..."Hey 76Tahiti460?" Damn that was a huge Rooster! ....and a sea story was born....
[This message has been edited by 76Tahiti460 (edited August 21, 2001).]

jaqquuuz
08-21-2001, 07:14 PM
I run with duals on top side mounted holleys and the key factor here is getting your carbs built to match your motor. What ever you decide to put up top go the extra mile and have your carb worked on by someone who knows how to set it up for motor you will be glad you did.

Havasu Hangin'
08-21-2001, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by NordicSquirt:
...There is a formula somewhere that calculates ideal CFM for a motor. On a warmed up engine(400-500 ci.) the ideal CFM would be less than 800 cfm...
I believe the formula is:
(Cubic Inches) divided by (# of cylinders) x (4*) = cubic inches of air per crankshaft revolution
Divide that by 1728 = cubic feet of air per crankshaft revolution
Multiply that number by the maximum RPMs = maximum CFMs
If we use 460 cubes @ 6,000 RPMs as an example:
460/8 x 4 = 230/1728 = 0.1331 x 6,000 = 798.61 CFMs
This formula does not take into account air density.
http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy25.gif
*4 stroke engine

NordicSquirt
08-21-2001, 07:26 PM
Tahiti, do you take constuctive criticism in a negative way? YOU asked the questions, and we were simply responding with personal experiences we have already been through. Some enjoy the tunnel ram, some don't. I don't because I am more experienced with single carb applications (Drag Motors, Circle Track Racing, and Street Driven Vehicles). In my opinion, your FREE advice just ran out. Do you go to local speed/boat shops and ask or respond to situations like this? Good luck.

76Tahiti460
08-21-2001, 07:33 PM
NordicSquirt..hey..I was simply being humurous...I am not all an ignorant jerk like some people I have come across on other topics....Just a little about me, I am a driver for the SEAL/S 82ft. MKV boat. It has twin V-12 twin turbo Detroit Diesals, twin KaMeWa jet drives 65cm wide,at a total HP of 5500. I just wanted some sound advice, and thought I would throw some competitive humour in there since that's my nature. I can send you a pic of this beast if ya like.
I value your opinion and plan on asking for advice from you again...sorry bro..

triple x tx
08-21-2001, 07:39 PM
hey tahiti with a roost in the air nordic will probably blow by you...(roosts are for show)

Bubbledeck2
08-21-2001, 07:40 PM
HH I used Holley's formula and came up with the same numbers. However they throw in volumetric efficiency, so ya gotta know that too.
Cubic inches X RPM divided by 3456 .... then multiply that by VE
I don't know how good that formula is, but I won't argue with Holley. Using that formula though it would seem many people are way over carbureted.

triple x tx
08-21-2001, 07:45 PM
i think those formulas are geared more towards cars rather than boats (not saying that the formulas are not good) but its been my experience that you really cant over cfm a jet boat if your carbs are square and in sync

NordicSquirt
08-21-2001, 07:46 PM
No hard feelings man, my background is as follws: Currently Volunteer FireFighter/working partime as EMT, and Parts store, going to school to be Paramedic. Boats, Cars, Beer keep me from stressing to outer space. BubbleDeck, I agree many boaters are WAY over carb'd. Anyways hope all works out Tahiti. I was having a pissy moment in life, shit happens.

jbj
08-21-2001, 07:59 PM
if you use the 750dp you'll need more fuel volume the holley blue won't supply them.clay smith has a good mech 130 gph or mallory 140 will supply it.holleys 4 port volumax reg flows good with either pump.you also need at least #8 line from tank to reg.#6 from reg to carbs.read plugs&jet accordling.i ran same setup bbc 10.5 comp with no problem

08-21-2001, 08:00 PM
CFM formulas aren't worth the paper their written on, [see article in this months Car Craft Mag. by Barry Grant.] First of all 2x4 set-ups are calculated differently because they have twice the venturi area as a single 4 bbl. Case-in-point, Trans-Am Z-28 302" SBC with 2 750 holleys [1500 cfm/smallblock] 435hp 427"BBC [3x2bbls-1200 cfm] 427" Ford FE 2 715 Holleys [1430 cfm] and so on.... A well built BB engine should handle 2x4bbls with a total of 1400-1700 CFM with little or no trouble. Personally I run 2 850 Holleys on a 514" BBF Same set up I ran on the old motor, 466" BBF. and have a 1150 Holley Dom. to run when I'm done with the tunnel-ram

Havasu Hangin'
08-21-2001, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Bubbledeck2:
HH I used Holley's formula and came up with the same numbers. However they throw in volumetric efficiency...Using that formula though it would seem many people are way over carbureted.
Yeah, I took the long way around. I don't know what VE pertains to- it must be the efficiency of the engine to pump air- in other words- backpressure.
Originally posted by triple x tx:
i think those formulas are geared more towards cars rather than boats...you really cant over cfm a jet boat if your carbs are square and in sync
The formula is strickly calculating the air being pulled in- it doesn't differenciate between a car or boat.
However, boats are usually operated in a different enviroment than a car (humidity, pressure, heat, torque loads, etc.), so what may work in a car, may not work in a boat. Your engine will still pull the same CFMs.
I agree, most folks (including me) may be overcarbed in that respect. However, in the heat of Havasu (thinner air), my engine thinks it's at 3,000 feet- I'll take the extra CFMs!
Where's Ray?
http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy25.gif

ponponracing
08-21-2001, 08:55 PM
Wow! You make a big thing out of this one. Tunnel ram work good. They give more top end and the only difference in gas is when you use the extra power it provide your motor.
But, because there is a but, carbs have to be dialed according to it, and that, just experienced engine tuner can do it. Read the Holley books, there are chapters about tunnel rams. Run 2 four barrels, mechanical secondaries, minimum of 800cfm each. It works, I did it at many occasions. I learned in circle track racing and then did it with customer's stuff.
A 2 four is easier to feed since you have four reservoirs. A good mech. fuel pump, 135gph. will be more than what the motor needs.

wrightnow
08-21-2001, 09:36 PM
This is just my experance and what I have been running trouble free for 2 seasons.
I have a BBC 30over 13.5 to 1 compression, clay smith cam #310, mech. fuel pump, 1x4 pressure regulator, edelbrock TR, two 750DP carbs mount in line (making linkage very simple, but requires more time to re-jet),78 main and 80 secondary, basset headers, 100% av gas
The motor start just fine, idles around 1000 and has been know to kick som a$$ on Saturday night. I ski, wake board and tube the kids all day, race at night and then I put the boat away. Maybe I have been lucky, but I believe the key to a successful Tr install is using 750 4150 carbs. and avoid the 660's.
This boat was built with the idea of ite being a family ski boat and I agree with you, a TR is a must for the river (looks).
e-mail me with your number if you have any question.
[This message has been edited by wrightnow (edited August 21, 2001).]

jroos
08-22-2001, 01:49 PM
Tahiti, I built the MKV`s or Mark 5`s. I was an out fitter with Halter Marine in New Orleans. I set most of the motors in them. Set all the tracks for the standup seats. Set those big bitches on the barges to go to the airport. Floor plates, gun racks, hard canopies. Had to install stantions for the canopy because the waves crushed one on some of your troops. And yes boys, you`ll be glad to know that they are JET DRIVEN! We had two prototypes. One was fiberglass and one was Kevlar. One had three screws and one had two screws, the Navy opted for jets. I`ve since moved on Tahiti, supposedly the Navy wanted a larger version dubbed the MK VI (MARK 6). Did this happen yet? I`m sure that John Dane will get the contract if they do. Waiting on funding I understood. This boat was going to be a wave piercing missle.

jroos
08-22-2001, 01:52 PM
I can also assure you that the CFM formula must be for running extremely high altitude, Like MT. everest. Rule of thumb, whatever you figure the formula gives you add 100 cfm and you`ll be on the money.

Squirtcha?
08-24-2001, 07:43 PM
Navy's Mark VI jetboat link.
http://www.boats.dt.navy.mil/pg2/MK5.htm

Squirtcha?
08-24-2001, 07:48 PM
Whoopsie. Excuse me Mark V. That's one badass jetboat.

jimmmyb
08-24-2001, 07:58 PM
hey squirtcha what website do i go to for the gatling guns?

jroos
08-26-2001, 08:03 AM
The Baddest Jet Boat! Get an eggbeater to build a bigger one and faster. NOT!

Squirtcha?
08-27-2001, 06:19 AM
Last night they had a special on the Discovery Channel and they showed this bad boy in action jet. Pretty impressive stuff. The thing's fast for being that big and heavy.

jroos
08-27-2001, 01:34 PM
It can come to a complete stop in the same distance as it is long. At full speed. The entire bow goes under. Saw them do it in the lake. Navy personnel of course.

Racing Ray
08-27-2001, 02:56 PM
PonPon has given some good advice. I don't agree with the carb sizing but if you don't know how to tune Holley's you better make friends with someone who does know how.
Once tuned they are actually a much better set-up. The changes in adjusted altitude won't affect it as much as they do a single carb set-up.
The reason you don't see more Super Gas and Super Comp cars running them is a problem with consistancy while using a throttlestop. It has nothing to do with being faster or not. A Properly tuned TR will outpower a single set-up anytime period!
I run one on my S/G car and pay the penalty in consistancy. I do this because I like to run as much MPH as I can. The TR adds about 5 mph to my car.
The consistancy problem comes in due to the stop itself and the slop in the available linkages. Remember we are trying to duplicate the same exact ET within a couple of thousandths of a second and must do so to win, round after round.
All of this would not even be considered in a river racer. When I bought my sons jet boat it came with a TR and 2 650VS Holleys. It ran like crap wouldn't idle, flat spots, and died everytime you lifted. An hour later it purred like a kitten. Be prepared to learn about Holleys if you want it to work right.

jroos
08-28-2001, 03:28 PM
Ray, I understand on a performance level, but I really don`t care how fast I am. I already know that I`m in the 70`s. That`s fine with me. I`m never gonna be the baddest, learned it from cars, always someone will beat you! I just wanna relax, look cool, have a good time, and want my boat to turn heads like a MOTHER! Get the point? If I wanted to kick ass here in LA, I`d a bought a bass boat and converted it to a light weight haul ass missle. I like my beeers, and so do all my friends. I don`t want to pull up at the launch and worry about scrathes and driving a big ass offshore rig home. Hell, I had a good day and want to sleep! I live in the real world, not BS, v-drives are a lot of work, especially on a circuit! Don`t try and tell me different. I use to run cars, that were street legal. If you can`t show it off then it ain`t worth havin`. That`s it.

ponponracing
08-28-2001, 06:31 PM
Hi Ray,
you're right about carb. size with that tunnel ram deal. But, because there's always a but, the dyno always (or almost always) showed that motors give more power by being overcarburated. But (again) it was at the cost of drivability when in a street car. Closer you are from the exact cfm requirements and better low end you get from your motor. In a boat, it's a different story since you are always looking for top end and you don't really care about low end. I never really fine tuned in a tunnel ram drag racing car so please don't considere my opinion for that situation.
Always nice discussing with you, and I hope we can help boaters looking for hints. I always wonder if we give appreciated hints. Do you feel like I do?

Racing Ray
08-28-2001, 06:58 PM
jroos
I am not quite sure why you are directing your comments and questions to me in your last post but I will do my best to respond.
"Ray, I understand on a performance level, but I really don`t care how fast I am. I already know that I`m in the 70`s. That`s fine with me. I`m never gonna be the baddest, learned it from cars, always someone will beat you! I just wanna relax, look cool, have a good time, and want my boat to turn heads like a MOTHER! Get the point?"
Finally a question! Yes I do get the point. In fact I have a 24 year old son that image is everything to as well. I figure some day he will outgrow it, you probably will too.
"If I wanted to kick ass here in LA, I`d a bought a bass boat and converted it to a light weight haul ass missle. I like my beeers, and so do all my friends."
I totally agree for a lot less money you could have a bass boat going much faster. I also think it would be a bore I never have cared for the sounds of a 2 stroke myself. Had I built a fast bass boat my only thoughts would be "Just think I coulda had a V-8".
"I don`t want to pull up at the launch and worry about scrathes and driving a big ass offshore rig home. Hell, I had a good day and want to sleep!"
I personally wouldn't want a boat bigger than the 21 footer I have now. Sounds like your having a few of those beeers and a very good day perhaps you should go to sleep.
"I live in the real world, not BS, v-drives are a lot of work, especially on a circuit! Don`t try and tell me different."
I am not sure if you are trying to infer here that I am full of BS or not, you will have to explain this further. The last V-drive I owned was hardly any work at all. I loved the old hot rod and it was a real head turner too. The family did not fit in it to well, at the time with 3 babies it was hard for the wife and I to hang on to all 3 at once. As far as trying to "tell you anything" I would not even pretend to be that bold. I don't tell anybody anything on these forums. I try to share my knowledge and experiance when I feel it might apply to someones search for information. Take it or leave it that is up to you or whomever I offered advice to.
"I use to run cars, that were
street legal. If you can`t show it off then it ain`t worth havin`."
There are lots of things in this life worth having and I have never felt the need to show them off. I have always felt that if you do something good enough others will brag for you. I get more pleasure from this. Somehow it seems to mean more.
"That`s it."
This seems to be your closure. I read into this you have finally gotten something off your chest and feel better now? I am glad for you. Tell me something did I do something to you in another life? I reviewed this topic and nowhere do I even see where I referred to you or commented to you in any form. Yet you dedicated your entire post to me.

Racing Ray
08-28-2001, 07:06 PM
PonPon
Your advice is always well thought out and solid. As you said there is always an exception to every rule. I very much look forward to your posts and I know a lot of others here do as well!!! Keep them coming!!
I have learned quite a bit from you and others on this forum in reguards to boats and I know Drag Racing dosent apply here but engines do. What I can I try to share. I don't worry if others care to believe what I say or not. It is usually just my humble opinion. I have been wrong before and I know we never stop learning.

Jetmugg
08-28-2001, 07:15 PM
The best looking/running Ford powered jet I've seen and ridden in had a TR with dual holley 450's on top. With the smaller 450 cfm carbs, this thing was crisp when starting, and ran great up to about 5400 rpms, which got a low porfile Tahiti well into the 70's.
My vote - set up a TR with two 450 cfm holleys.
Steve

wrightnow
08-30-2001, 11:09 AM
hard to be the looks of a TR
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/Ef/i7/SA/wA73939.jpg
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/034/Yb/UC/su/tz63942.jpg
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/034/Th/sI/bd/wz85382.jpg

jroos
08-30-2001, 01:36 PM
Ray, I just saw the post from the other night, yes I was having some of those beers then. I didn`t want the post to sound like I was bashing you, but it did. sorry. What I was trying to say was that I don`t care about high horse power. just the look. If I didn`t care about the looks and just wanted speed , then an outboard would have been my choice. A jet can`t beat a prop. You came on late in the TR discussion, this has been kicked around for the past month. You came on with line locks and drag cars. I don`t get it? Again, not bashing you just came into discussion a little late with a whole bunch of technicalities about drag cars and nothing to do with a jet and TR. Line locks on a boat? I have the High Fire 4c box and no I didn`t hook up the orange wire(line lock). That`s all dude, relax, I`m not bashing just explaining and apologizing for directed wording or post.

jroos
08-30-2001, 01:39 PM
Wrightnow, awsome. The top looks exactly like my southwind yet the bottom looks more like a Sleekcraft GT, almost. Who manufactured this hull?

wrightnow
08-30-2001, 03:47 PM
The hull is a California Performance 18'6, a little small for the lake but a great river boats. This is my second season with the boat on the water and has been nothing but fun (great family ski boat with alot of performance in mind) California Perfomance also makes a 19'6 that has a lot more room.

Racing Ray
08-30-2001, 04:55 PM
Jroos
I have been very careful to keep cars out of any discussions I have here and if you go back and reread the posts I was not the one who brought drag cars into this discussion Nordicsquirt did so I felt compelled to address his remarks concerning them. My advice has nothing to do with cars but with high performance engines and the use of a TR. Quite a few of these guys not only like to look impressive but also enjoy water skiing. This takes a TR set up right. Pau hanna, and asta la vista.