PDA

View Full Version : Guy flipped at long beach races.

ColeTR1
08-14-2004, 09:41 PM
A super stock racer flipped today Sat. dose anyone know how he is doing?

kipperps28
08-14-2004, 10:21 PM
I talked with Chris Kenner today, who is there. It was Dennis Rankin. He is OK. The boat is fine. He was taken to the hospital to be checked out, but nothing serious, from what I am told. I'm sure there are more details to come...

ColeTR1
08-15-2004, 07:24 AM
He is OK. The boat is fine.
That's great news. :p Thanks for update. ;)

GofastRacer
08-15-2004, 07:33 AM
Glad to hear everything is OK!.. :cool:

Moneypitt
08-15-2004, 09:06 PM
Yes, Dennis is fine, as well as the boat, wow what a hull (carbon fiber), built by David Rankin, (canary boat). After seeing the wreck on video, thanks to Jerry, a fibreglas hull would have been floating in scraps and chunks with the heavy pieces on the bottom. Today David drove it for the first time and was his old self, I was a little busy at the time so I can't say where he finished, but he drove the hell out of it..........MP

schiada96
08-16-2004, 05:01 AM
Yes, Dennis is fine, as well as the boat, wow what a hull (carbon fiber), built by David Rankin, (canary boat). After seeing the wreck on video, thanks to Jerry, a fibreglas hull would have been floating in scraps and chunks with the heavy pieces on the bottom. Today David drove it for the first time and was his old self, I was a little busy at the time so I can't say where he finished, but he drove the hell out of it..........MP
Hull by Lee at schiada

Bob Hostetter
08-16-2004, 07:23 AM
We were sitting right at the the #2 turn pin when he flipped. The boat got a lot of air, hit the water at least twice, spinning end for end in the air, dug into the water, and just popped back up, landed on its bottom and floated there.
I was amassed that the hull didn't come apart. I had a Cole that chimed in at Puddingstone that didn't hit that hard that ripped the deck off and blew out the driver's side of the hull right in front of the drivers seat. Whoever built that hull did an excellent job.
Glad everyone is ok........

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-16-2004, 08:12 AM
I was running camera 2 from the roof of a Motorhome right next to the museum building. I have a very clean video of the accident. Dennis's head actually laid over the lockout handle when the boat came back around on him. Straightaway flips are allways bad, Dennis is very lucky. :)
Bob I had crew positions waiting for you but you never looked me up? :confused:
Jerry :shift:

Moneypitt
08-16-2004, 08:15 AM
David told me HE made the boat, is he stroking me or was it a joint venture with Lee??? Also we need to give a little credit to Dennis' helmet, it probably saved his life!!...................MP

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-16-2004, 08:20 AM
Ray,
You guys seem to be getting ahold of that eight nine boat! :eat: Mike was on the gas!! :supp: :D
JG :2purples:

Moneypitt
08-16-2004, 08:31 AM
Thanks Jerry, Gary and I get frustrated because the boat lives in BHC and we didn't see it after Burley until Fri night. Trying to do this stuff by phone just don't work. We won't see it again til Ming, but then we're ripping it down to freshen up for Parker in Nov. It was a great weekend of racing, no one got hurt, and the water/weather was perfect. Also a good crowd, lots of nice scenery!! Another note Jery, it seems there are a few more PS boats in the works for the near future and maybe some reaching out to other venues are a possibilty. See you at Ming.....MP

ColeTR1
08-16-2004, 09:30 AM
Dennis's head actually laid over the lockout handle when the boat came back around on him.
Jerry :shift:
Wow!!
:2purples: I would like to see the video. Sounds like one for Real TV. Glad everthing turn out OK :boxed:

superdave013
08-16-2004, 09:37 AM
Like Bob said, boat got mega air and flipped a few times. Hit the water and flipped a few more. I could not believe the engine was still in it.
I heard that boat was layed up in the vacuum bag over at Schiada. Only hear say but from a pretty good source.

Bob Hostetter
08-16-2004, 09:40 AM
V-drive video,
When we spoke before I was planning on going down there by myself. When my youngest daughter (15 years old) found out I was going to the races she asked if she could go too. (She is a real go fast junkie) By the time we left home Saturday morning I had 6 teenage girls in bikinis piling into the truck. There was no way in the world I was letting them out of my sight around all that testesrone...........lol
Thanks again for the offer, I am going to try to sneak out for the next one by myself and I will difiantely look you you up..........

Bob Hostetter
08-16-2004, 09:44 AM
The really scary part of the whole thing was that by the time we headed home she was asking how she could get a ride in one of the crackerboxes.

schiada96
08-16-2004, 10:44 AM
Like Bob said, boat got mega air and flipped a few times. Hit the water and flipped a few more. I could not believe the engine was still in it.
I heard that boat was layed up in the vacuum bag over at Schiada. Only hear say but from a pretty good source.
That boat was 350+ lbs lighter than the rest !!!!!! not a good thing for the competition.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-16-2004, 11:40 AM
That boat was 350+ lbs lighter than the rest !!!!!! not a good thing for the competition.
We weighed all the SS boats this past weekend and 3 boats were lighter than the 80. The 80 is rigged with full length stringers big cool can with major support brackets and a heavy seat. The apba rule is 1800 lbs with driver.
JG :mix:

uclahater
08-16-2004, 11:44 AM
We weighed all the SS boats this past weekend and 3 boats were lighter than the 80. The 80 is rigged with full length stringers big cool can with major support brackets and a heavy seat. The apba rule is 1800 lbs with driver.
Which 3 and was anyone lighter than the 1800lbs besides Billy B :hammer2:

schiada96
08-16-2004, 12:08 PM
I don't get it they were not on sunday weighing the ss boats with the driver in them and I watched 5 or six boat being weighed the digital scale was used for awhile and the outher one as well almost all except for the one Lee did were at 1850 or so and the yellow boat was 1450 or so

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-16-2004, 05:16 PM
I was over there and actually video taped the scale while they hoisted the boat up. I was between the tractor and the boat. I didn't stick around to see all the weights of everyones boats.
Before my last post, I called Dave R (owner of the SS-80) and asked him about the weights of everybodys boats including details of why his was so heavy.
I don't know where you saw the 1450 :confused: Nobody was even close to that number.
The 80 was layed up in Lee's shop with the vacuum. Its obviously very strong to survive that crash unscathed. :cool:
JG

schiada96
08-16-2004, 06:48 PM
I was over there and actually video taped the scale while they hoisted the boat up. I was between the tractor and the boat. I didn't stick around to see all the weights of everyones boats.
Before my last post, I called Dave R (owner of the SS-80) and asked him about the weights of everybodys boats including details of why his was so heavy.
I don't know where you saw the 1450 :confused: Nobody was even close to that number.
The 80 was layed up in Lee's shop with the vacuum. Its obviously very strong to survive that crash unscathed. :cool:
JG
Myself, Wayne Harris, Doug Petsco and Dennis Towery all stood there and watched that boat being weighed maybe we were wrong in what we saw but the next lightest boat we saw was 17 somthin.
We were watching the race when the rush air boat turned in too soon I was yelling before it ever happend I saw him back out of it and I knew what was going to happend. Lee walked up to me and said what is all this going on. And the talk turned to how light that carbon fiber boat was. He said he knew it was way lighter than the rest.

gottaminute?
08-16-2004, 07:25 PM
The SS 80 boat was not the lightest (probably the strongest). The scale we were using had a 2000 lb. max capacity and many of the SS boats with driver would have maxed(and possibly damaged) it so we weighed all the boats without drivers and only a couple were light enough to even be near min wt. with the driver. While we didn't record em, as we only needed to know "legal or not" the average was probably in the 1750/1800 lb. (no driver).
The digital scale only had a 750 lb limit and was for the small tunnel boats.
I know this to be the truth as i was the one who did it. nuff said
Pat
I often wonder how these stories start :rollside:

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-16-2004, 08:13 PM
Hey Pat,
With 2000 max you probably could've weighed the "Prime Suspect"? J/K :hammer2: :D :D :D
Jerry

gottaminute?
08-16-2004, 08:34 PM
Hey Pat,
With 2000 max you probably could've weighed the "Prime Suspect"? J/K
Jerry
almost.
BTW anybody have a "atkins plan" for my boat that doesn't include 2 days with a 4 inch holesaw ?
Did you happen to catch "air Doug" in the closed end turn ?

schiada96
08-16-2004, 08:42 PM
The SS 80 boat was not the lightest (probably the strongest). The scale we were using had a 2000 lb. max capacity and many of the SS boats with driver would have maxed(and possibly damaged) it so we weighed all the boats without drivers and only a couple were light enough to even be near min wt. with the driver. While we didn't record em, as we only needed to know "legal or not" the average was probably in the 1750/1800 lb. (no driver).
The digital scale only had a 750 lb limit and was for the small tunnel boats.
I know this to be the truth as i was the one who did it. nuff said
Pat
I often wonder how these stories start :rollside:
Maybe we saw it wrong but there were four of us that saw it, you want their numbers. I saw the first small tunnel it weighed 711 or so with the driver on it. I don't know maybe we are wrong. But If I build a ss boat I'll have Lee lay it up for sure. Lee agreed with me that it was light. He has no reason to bs with me.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-16-2004, 08:43 PM
I got him spinning out chasing his kid if thats what your talking about. The video of the yellow jet spinning on top of wheelers boat is frightening. :eek:
Jerry :220v:

schiada96
08-16-2004, 08:49 PM
I got him spinning out chasing his kid if thats what your talking about. The video of the yellow jet spinning on top of wheelers boat is frightening. :eek:
Jerry :220v:
yeah it was it was right in front of me I'm glad no one was hurt. Dennis has a lot of work to do to put the boat that they took parts off of to get the rush air boat running for the rest of the day, it sounded kind of sick on the last race

gottaminute?
08-16-2004, 08:49 PM
there is alot of footage i'd like to see of this weekend. We were VERY FORTUNATE that everybody is ok. Somebody was looking after us.

Mrs. Serious Issues
08-17-2004, 07:21 AM
Which 3 and was anyone lighter than the 1800lbs besides Billy B :hammer2:
SS-33 weighed in at 1,640 lbs. It was the lightest boat by 60 lbs. Surprised a lot of people, myself included!

uclahater
08-17-2004, 07:25 AM
SS-33 weighed in at 1,640 lbs. It was the lightest boat by 60 lbs. Surprised a lot of people, myself included!
You keep improveing like you are and the SS-33 Team will be one to reckon with :cool:
I here there were K-boats that were lighter than some of the superstocks :eek: What kind of Nutt case would drive that boat :crossx: :skull:

Mrs. Serious Issues
08-17-2004, 07:28 AM
You keep improveing like you are and the SS-33 Team will be one to reckon with :cool:
I here there were K-boats that were lighter than some of the superstocks :eek: What kind of Nutt case would drive that boat :crossx: :skull:
Thanks for the compliment!
I heard some of the K-boats are lighter as well... that is nothing short of INSANITY!

MAXIMUS
08-17-2004, 03:35 PM
there is alot of footage i'd like to see of this weekend. We were VERY FORTUNATE that everybody is ok. Somebody was looking after us.
Ill agree there... I almost busted my ass on the launch ramp a few times with that friggin moss... Would have been a bitch to be the only casualty of the weekend & not a driver! :messedup: :( :rolleyes:

MAXIMUS
08-17-2004, 03:36 PM
Also Pat it was nice meeting you this weekend & I really really had a blast! I couldn't imagine how much fun it would be if the boat actually ran! :D

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-17-2004, 03:51 PM
Hey Max,
Its too bad the K-Jet class is no longer, it would have been perfect for ya!
JG :messedup:

MAXIMUS
08-18-2004, 01:36 PM
Hey Max,
Its too bad the K-Jet class is no longer, it would have been perfect for ya!
JG :messedup:
HA HA! :notam: Price just went up 10 grand! :notam:

amy jo ross
08-18-2004, 07:17 PM
So the reason we didn't weigh the crackers is because why????? Pat????
Jerry who takes the photos for the superstocks?

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-18-2004, 09:20 PM
Jerry who takes the photos for the superstocks?
Spectate photography, Tom Tim and Tom Tim Jr.
They're allways looking for models! :idea: :cool: :D :D
Jerry

amy jo ross
08-19-2004, 03:17 PM
Oh yea, I'm model material :squiggle: Desently priced?
V-drive show again Labor day weekend?
Planning on heading to the river this weekend what are you doing jer???
AR

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-19-2004, 05:35 PM
Oh yea, I'm model material :squiggle: Desently priced?
V-drive show again Labor day weekend?
Planning on heading to the river this weekend what are you doing jer???
AR
Are you asking me out? :eat: :) :rollside: :devil: :D
JG :chi:

uclahater
08-19-2004, 05:43 PM
Are you asking me out? :eat: :) :rollside: :devil: :D
JG :chi:
IM sure Amy has better taste than That :boxingguy

amy jo ross
08-20-2004, 11:13 AM
Hmmmm, let me think that over......... :confused:
Maybe, But first let me talk to your wife :confused: I don't think she'll go for that. Actually trip is cancelled. It seems I got some work to do on the 96, and actually I'll be removing and installing motors this weekend for Conavay. Rumor had it there is a V-drive regatta Labor Day, can you tell me about it?
If so where? Maybe I'll go........... :) Amy

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-20-2004, 11:29 AM
We are having the "War Wagon" regatta the day after Labor Day at lake Perris. I'm only expecting a couple of boats.
It would be Knutts to pick a 3 day weekend to do a v-drive regatta, unless it was a private lake. Thow some mufflers on the Cracker and come on out on tuesday :idea: :mix:
JG

amy jo ross
08-20-2004, 05:12 PM
I won't run the Cracker till San Diego, but I have super traps on the Sanger and its here at home. email me some info....

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-20-2004, 05:17 PM
The info is...show up at Lake Perris on tuesday the 7th. Thats pretty much it...
I plan on using the eastern most ramp and settin an ez up on the beach next to that ramp. :boxed: :rollside: :)
Wear a thong. :D
JG

amy jo ross
08-21-2004, 08:46 AM
Yeah okay fruitcake, just as long as you wear a banana hamick. :idea:
I think that would be entertaining. :D
AR