PDA

View Full Version : New 455

OLDMANSOLDSBOAT
08-14-2004, 10:04 PM
OK GUYS, WE GOT THE OMEGA CRUISER UP AND RUNNING THIS WEEK. IT'S GOT EDELBROCK HEADS, TORKER INTAKE, AND EDELBROCK 750 MARINE CARB. THE CAM IS PREATTY STOUT. RUNING THROUGH THE LOGS. ABOUT 10:1 SQUEEZE. ALSO NEW ENERGIZER KIT ON THE JACUZZI WJ, WITH AN "A" IMPELLER.
OK COUPLE OF PROBLEMS NEED A LITTLE HELP WITH. FIRST, SOMETIMES IT BACKFIRES OUT THE CARB WHEN I SHUT IT DOWN. (TIMING IT AT 12 DEGREES) ALSO IF I JUST BARELY TOUCH THE GAS IT STARTS TO STUBLE TILL I GIVE IT MORE GAS. PULLED THE PLUGGS AND THE INSULATORS WERE A REDDISH COLOR. :confused: THEN THERE ARE THOSE DAM LOGS, WHAT'S THE TRICK TO GET THEM TO SEAL. TICK TICK TICK.... CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE.
THEN THERE IS A SHUTTER OR VIBRATION AT IDLE SOMETIMES AND JUST OFF IDLE. I THINK ITS THE DRIVE SHAFT.
RUNS GOOD AT SPEED BUT HAVEN'T REALLY GOTTEN ON IT YET STILL NEEDS MORE HOURS.
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APRECIATED.

Kindsvater Flat
08-14-2004, 10:46 PM
Idle to high, to lean, or timing for the run on pop when shutting off. Also check your accelerator pumps for your take off along with fuel, timing etc. You are close since it doesn't continue to run when the key is off.
From a v-drive guy I would say check the spline on the driveshaft. As for the logs I would have them flattened at a machine shop the use a good gasket.

Jet City
08-14-2004, 11:01 PM
Not sure what the BB Olds likes for timing, my 460 likes 16 degrees intial and 34 degrees in by 3000 rpm, as to your carb probs, I agree with Kindsvator, sounds like a bum accelerator pump, heres a good source for those edelbrock carbs (I only use Holleys)...
http://www.banderlog.com/products/CarterEdelbrockJetSelect/CarterEdelbrockJetSelec.html
Good luck

HotDogz
08-15-2004, 08:53 AM
From my understanding, the 455 does not like more than 34 degrees total and the initial timing should be set at no more than 10 degrees. My total timing comes in at 2800rpm.

HotDogz
08-15-2004, 09:07 AM
Mine hesitates revving from idle also. Thought it was because the Torker is rated from 2500-6500rpm, so I put in a 2" spacer with no difference. Still have that issue going on. I noticed tho that with race gas, the hesitation is not so pronounced. Ran the numbers from the rebuild and came up with an 11:1 compression ratio w/80cc heads and large valves. With the 77cc Edelbrock heads, the numbers were higher. I dont have alot of experience but was just an observation. Would love to know if you get this worked out.

Floored
08-15-2004, 10:02 AM
I run 14-16 deg initial timing on my olds 34-36 total on pump gas. on the edel and AFB carbs if they sit, the leather on the accel pump plunger( on some models) dries out and accel pump doesn't work well. make sure no vacuum leaks if throttle plates are opened too far to achieve idle speed then you will get the backfire or running back condition. AFB and edelbrock carbs use a spring tension on the metering rod plungers that work with vacuum( like a holley power valve) and the springs need to be changed sometimes to work with the low vacuum from a large cam or you will get a lean stumble. that comes in the STRIP KITS that they sell to fine tune the carb. new combo's just take a little time to debug. sounds like a nice setup.