:idea: :D
Oh ya and...congrats Cyclone.
jer

cyclone
08-17-2004, 11:14 AM
jer
thanks man. it was nice to finally meet you and see the boat in person. :)

FOURQ
08-17-2004, 03:59 PM
i seen the hat in the posesion of Tom the owner of the red swtd that thing was a runner to bad the water wasnt clean to get a real good pass out of it... :shift:
http://www.southwindjetboats.com/boats%20022.jpg

steelcomp
08-17-2004, 06:57 PM
Tom w/ the Red Southwind had a nuclear meltdown!

steelcomp
08-17-2004, 07:00 PM
jer
Cyclone...were you the pretty orange Daytona that beat BudLight on Sat?

FOURQ
08-17-2004, 07:04 PM
Tom w/ the Red Southwind had a nuclear meltdown!
ya i heard but wasnt there .. you got any details on his meltdown?
4Q

BrendellaJet
08-17-2004, 07:13 PM
Cyclone...were you the pretty orange Daytona that beat BudLight on Sat?
If by orange daytona you meant this kickass Rogers, then yes that was him!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1146Trip_2_-med.jpg

Cs19
08-17-2004, 07:20 PM
That SW had the motor quit on a shutdown and it almost made a hard move on him, luckily he wasnt going that fast or wasnt close to the rocks when it died.
There were no good races for the hat unfortunatly.

steelcomp
08-17-2004, 08:21 PM
ya i heard but wasnt there .. you got any details on his meltdown?
4Q
Yeah, it was late Sunday and we were talkin about running, and he got out before me and made a couple of passes. While I was puttin on my vest, he went up river and I could hear it dropping a cyl a little, and then on his next pass down, he slowed a little, then sort of stood on it, and it blurbbled, and went POP POP!! Ran outa gas...lean melt down. Did it right in front of the cove, and ended up drifting right next to the bridge abutment. Luckily the guy with the green and white Southwind with the BBF on N2O was out there watching him, and got right to him for a save. He came in and filled it up with gas, but it was se muerta! Bummer!!

FOURQ
08-17-2004, 08:25 PM
Yeah, it was late Sunday and we were talkin about running, and he got out before me and made a couple of passes. While I was puttin on my vest, he went up river and I could hear it dropping a cyl a little, and then on his next pass down, he slowed a little, then sort of stood on it, and it blurbbled, and went POP POP!! Ran outa gas...lean melt down. Did it right in front of the cove, and ended up drifting right next to the bridge abutment. Luckily the guy with the green and white Southwind with the BBF on N2O was out there watching him, and got right to him for a save. He came in and filled it up with gas, but it was se muerta! Bummer!!
i heard it was a posible wet mag from when he opend the popoff???? owell hope Tom gets it running for ming.
4Q

steelcomp
08-17-2004, 08:25 PM
Uh, no, I said orange Daytona. The only place I saw the Rogers was on the trailer in the parking lot.
Daytona, made by Eliminator, tunnel hull, (orange)
Rogers, made by Rogers, v-bottom, (red)
Did the Rogers beat BudLight?

steelcomp
08-17-2004, 08:30 PM
i heard it was a posible wet mag from when he opend the popoff???? owell hope Tom gets it running for ming.
4Q
That's possible, except it quit in the middle of a run. We heard him coming down the river hard on it right before it quit. Don't remember seeing him blow the valve. Hope so...that boat really took a nice set. He says they haven't hit 100 yet...ran 99.8.

steelcomp
08-17-2004, 08:33 PM
i seen the hat in the posesion of Tom the owner of the red swtd that thing was a runner to bad the water wasnt clean to get a real good pass out of it... :shift:
http://www.southwindjetboats.com/boats%20022.jpg
Saturday eve about 6:30 or so, he went out and made some real nice passes. Definately had everyone's attention.

Cs19
08-17-2004, 08:58 PM
That's possible, except it quit in the middle of a run. We heard him coming down the river hard on it right before it quit. Don't remember seeing him blow the valve. Hope so...that boat really took a nice set. He says they haven't hit 100 yet...ran 99.8.
Steel,what boat did you have out there?
Only a 99 mph boat? And they left with the hat?

ROZ
08-17-2004, 11:55 PM
Only a 99 mph boat? And they left with the hat? I thouht the Rogers was capable of about 105 or so?

LVjetboy
08-18-2004, 12:39 AM
I heard the hat blew overboard and sank. At a best of 99.8, now I wish I'd given it a run. :frown:
jer

MikeC
08-18-2004, 07:31 AM
i believe this guy still has the hat.
http://realjetboats.com/may8th/FlyinBrian.jpg
I just may have to stop by the next FBC event..... I need a new hat.
:sleeping:
MikeC

Squirtcha?
08-18-2004, 07:43 AM
Right river............wrong event, wrong year, wrong decade, hell that's even the wrong century.
If you or I want the hat Mike, we'd be better off heading down river in hopes that it would resurface somewhere around the Parker Dam.

MikeC
08-18-2004, 07:58 AM
Squirt, that's a good one! :-)
Sounds like you could have won the hat. All's you would have to do was make it accross the finish line running........
Sorry guy's I feel for ya's, sucks to be broken......
Hey Squirtcha, you must be thinking about my boat when I ran a little 150 spray, don't forget I've got the NOS Cheater, it's up to 250 now!!!!! Got keep up with these Blower Guy's ya know..
;-)
See ya

cyclone
08-18-2004, 09:05 AM
i definately didn't race anyone. Mine ran long enough to for my g/f and I to get engaged during the friday night float and then make one speed pass. Saturday morning when i launched it, the distributor gear let go and i was forced to put it on the trailer. If 99mph took the hat then I think i would have had a good shot at it if the boat was still running. :rollside:

XClutchboy725
08-18-2004, 09:22 AM
i believe this guy still has the hat.
http://realjetboats.com/may8th/FlyinBrian.jpg
I just may have to stop by the next FBC event..... I need a new hat.
:sleeping:
MikeC
I definitely need to compare notes with you! That boat takes a real nice set! Care to share?

Squirtcha?
08-18-2004, 09:27 AM
That's bn's boat Jeff. Lots of work done to that one! Big ponies (roller motor) bottom work, pump work, setup work................work work work.
He used to post on RJB, then on banderlog. Don't see him around much any more. That's your hull there buddy, Southwind 18' splash. I think he was running in the high 90's.
Here's a link to some info off RJB's (MikeC's) pages.
It says 83 mph in his bio, but he had done some more work to it after posting that information.
bn's southwind 18 splash (http://realjetboats.com/bn/bneal.html)

flat broke
08-18-2004, 09:51 AM
Somewhere Jim Lee should have a video of when BN (not beautiful noise) took that boat to Ming to see what it would do. If I remember right they ended up around 96mph, don't remember the times though cause I was just starting to pay attention to that kind of stuff back then.
I actually saw Brian and the boat sometime this past winter/spring down at Jack and Dave's. If I remember correctly I think he mentioned the bottom had been tuned a little bit on it.
Chris

XClutchboy725
08-18-2004, 10:08 AM
I'd be REAL happy with those numbers! My best so far is 75.3 on Lake Shasta a month ago. It feels like there is a lot more in her, but it just starts to porpoise and scub off speed. I just don't really have the time to dial it in myself. I think it's time to pay Jack a visit! :wink:

victorfb
08-18-2004, 11:34 AM
Congradulations to mike and his fiance, (wont try and spell her name). that is awsome man. sorry to hear about the distributer gear. but glad you didnt find a new one. same thing or worse would have happened with a regular distributer. you need a collered distributer shaft for that tall deck. cant wait to see it run at the FC2. i have a feeling youll be getting a new hat there for sure.
99+ MPH huh? you guys are nuts. :rollside:

MikeC
08-18-2004, 12:03 PM
Congrats Cyclone,
Squirtcha, Don't forget, BN was running 83 mph (with me in it) with no NOS, and pretty mild square port BBC 468 for like 20 years......... and this is a Lake boat, crappy water does not stop him (well at least when he was younger, like last century)....... :D
MikeC

djdtpr
08-18-2004, 05:54 PM
That water was rough on sat.The only thing i was running was to the trailer!Congrats to whoever got it in that water they deserve it. :supp:

steelcomp
08-18-2004, 06:21 PM
Only a 99 mph boat? And they left with the hat?
Hey, cs.
I had the yellow Bahner tunnel with the scoop...the one in ***boat this month. We were on the other side of the cove. I was hoping to get a chance to talk with you, but you know how that goes. I was talking to Jack last week and he suggested I try and hook up with you this weekend, and have you peek at my set up. Needs attention.
I saw you playin with that Liberator OB sunday. He and I ran about two miles WOT coming back from Nedles. That was fun.
You guys got it all wrong about the 99.8 mph top dog...the guys that were running before like BudLight, and the orange Daytona that beat him are 100+ boats. The red Southwind just happened to be the only one left, and he went down. Sat I had problems...bad fuel, I think. Couldn't pull more than 5700, but with some fresh gas on Sun. and a little tuning, I got back up to where i was supposed to be.
cs...I think you and I were in the water at the same time Sat. late, but kept going in different directions. You'd have walked on me bad, but still would have played. I hear your boat runs hard. Nice looking, too. Sorry we didn't get a chance to hook up. Sun on the way back from Needles Hallet HathNoFury walked on me pretty bad, too. :cry: Oh well, I'll be at Ming. It'll be a different story. :cool:

*BN*
08-18-2004, 07:09 PM
I definitely need to compare notes with you! That boat takes a real nice set! Care to share?
X,
The way the boat looks there was after a freshin up of the old motor Mike speaks of.
The freshin up with MPD/DNE made it a 468 with Ported Iron Heads and a little compression. This caused the boat to ride very high in the water and porpoise with a best MING pass of 11.03 sec 91+mph pass.
After struggling with every setup option available with no luck we decided to put some Cav Plates on the back. With the plates raised a 1/16 inch above the hull edge on the inside and down 1/16 on the outer edges the boat runs extremely flat and will run through the soup on the strip with relative ease.
The boat does not porpoise from the gate or with a running start (smooth water or chop). Boat runs over river chop like in years past almost never unloads.
Best speed was last month in 104 degree Temp and Cloud Cover. 94.2 (current adjusted) Approx 12 gallons Gas, Seats, Anchor ETC. (5800 rpm)
Got a down River speed of 96.3 (LOL)
It is amazing how little down the Cav Plates changed the entire boat. If I raise the out side of the plates at all the boat will porpoise.
BTW: Mike thanks for the pic it brings back the memories.

565edge
08-18-2004, 07:41 PM
Hey, cs.
I had the yellow Bahner tunnel with the scoop...the one in ***boat this month. We were on the other side of the cove. I was hoping to get a chance to talk with you, but you know how that goes. I was talking to Jack last week and he suggested I try and hook up with you this weekend, and have you peek at my set up. Needs attention.
I saw you playin with that Liberator OB sunday. He and I ran about two miles WOT coming back from Nedles. That was fun.
You guys got it all wrong about the 99.8 mph top dog...the guys that were running before like BudLight, and the orange Daytona that beat him are 100+ boats. The red Southwind just happened to be the only one left, and he went down. Sat I had problems...bad fuel, I think. Couldn't pull more than 5700, but with some fresh gas on Sun. and a little tuning, I got back up to where i was supposed to be.
cs...I think you and I were in the water at the same time Sat. late, but kept going in different directions. You'd have walked on me bad, but still would have played. I hear your boat runs hard. Nice looking, too. Sorry we didn't get a chance to hook up. Sun on the way back from Needles Hallet HathNoFury walked on me pretty bad, too. :cry: Oh well, I'll be at Ming. It'll be a different story. :cool:
What did you get this bahner to run at ming.I saw it at ming and it ran in the 80's i thought.Very clean boat.

MikeC
08-18-2004, 08:00 PM
BN, good to hear from you. 11's is pretty darn quick for a lake boat! And I know you run quicker on the River, were you were trained.
I still remember my first 83 mph ride you took me on!
:2purples:
Hope to see ya around one day dude.......
FC 10/2004

steelcomp
08-18-2004, 08:42 PM
What did you get this bahner to run at ming.I saw it at ming and it ran in the 80's i thought.Very clean boat.
Thanks for the compliment...the boat ran 11.93 at 86.8 last year with two blown head gaskets. After a fershen up this winter, it's back up to 61-6200, and around 95-97 on the speedo. See you at Ming again?

djdtpr
08-18-2004, 08:47 PM
Steelcomp that is a clean ride i saw it there.Did you rig that boat up yourself it looked sweet.We will see ya at ming in sept.

Cs19
08-18-2004, 09:24 PM
DJD, yes it was rough. in fact your lucky you still have a boat after how I saw how you launched that thing off a roller. :220v: Glad you kept it upright. Oh and do yourself a favor and go get a rev limiter in that thing, with the way you drive it you need one. :smile: I dont wanna hear any more 9600 revs from that thing. :skull:
We gotta hook up for a blythe trip too.
Steel, sorry I missed you. Yes you have a nice boat there, I like . Well have to hook up another time.
Glad to hear you guys are going to Ming.I will be there if I can swing it financially.

FOURQ
08-18-2004, 09:25 PM
i heard from tom the owner of the red swtd and he still has the hat at home his engine problem was that he droped a valve....he got the engine out and is having it freshend up for ming...
4Q

LVjetboy
08-18-2004, 10:16 PM
Brian, thanks for the update. Here's what I had from a long time ago...
Brian Neal
Speed: 90@56-5700 Timed
Jet: Southwind Semi-v
Pump: Berk JG MPD B-
Engine: DNE 468
Tom with the red swtd. I want the hat. Look for me at the next C3B.
jer

FOURQ
08-18-2004, 11:07 PM
Tom with the red swtd. I want the hat. Look for me at the next C3B.
jer
you can go call him out his kid posts over on my site.lol
4Q

Bense468
08-18-2004, 11:16 PM
DJD, yes it was rough. in fact your lucky you still have a boat after how I saw how you launched that thing off a roller. :220v: Glad you kept it upright. Oh and do yourself a favor and go get a rev limiter in that thing, with the way you drive it you need one. :smile: I dont wanna hear any more 9600 revs from that thing. :skull:
Steel, sorry I missed you. Yes you have a nice boat there, I like . Well have to hook up another time.
Glad to hear you guys are going to Ming.I will be there if I can swing it financially.
Thats danny for ya LOL. Chris lets do this blythe run, I am going to be getting together with Danny at Blythe real soon as well. Name a date guys.

XClutchboy725
08-19-2004, 03:49 AM
X,
The way the boat looks there was after a freshin up of the old motor Mike speaks of.
The freshin up with MPD/DNE made it a 468 with Ported Iron Heads and a little compression. This caused the boat to ride very high in the water and porpoise with a best MING pass of 11.03 sec 91+mph pass.
After struggling with every setup option available with no luck we decided to put some Cav Plates on the back. With the plates raised a 1/16 inch above the hull edge on the inside and down 1/16 on the outer edges the boat runs extremely flat and will run through the soup on the strip with relative ease.
The boat does not porpoise from the gate or with a running start (smooth water or chop). Boat runs over river chop like in years past almost never unloads.
Best speed was last month in 104 degree Temp and Cloud Cover. 94.2 (current adjusted) Approx 12 gallons Gas, Seats, Anchor ETC. (5800 rpm)
It is amazing how little down the Cav Plates changed the entire boat. If I raise the out side of the plates at all the boat will porpoise.
Thanks for the shout back. What pump, impeller, rideplate setup, shoe, etc.?
I'm runnin an AT with an Agressor Mag-bronze A-B done by Greg and I turn it to just over 5900 on a good day. My max speed is 75.3 with that porpoise you talk about!

bp
08-19-2004, 05:59 AM
not to change the subject,but someone posted a pic somewhere from c3b of a jet with a bubble deck, people were having a hard time figuring out what it was. someone else mentioned that it previously had a capsule, and that the owner had done a bunch of work to it?
that boat -could- have been john costs old flatbottom jet hull. when frank built his new edge with the capsule, the capsule came off that old flat, and the flat hull was sold to someone to make a river runner out of it. the boat in the pic could have easily been the same boat. did anyone check the bottom??? :cool: that old capsuled flatbottom jet did have a bubble deck.
it usta b "worlds fastest flatbottom jet"... :cool:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-19-2004, 06:14 AM
I noticed that the red boat has some colorful headers. Was he running dry? Do the cops care about noise out there? Just curious for next year because I will be there running dry.

Danhercules
08-19-2004, 06:33 AM
I noticed that the red boat has some colorful headers. Was he running dry? Do the cops care about noise out there? Just curious for next year because I will be there running dry.
By the Avi ya can get away with it. Down river your OK too. I would not go much more than a mile or two upriver with out baffels. When ya get to the houses in Bullhead, they crack down.

Squirtcha?
08-19-2004, 06:57 AM
Good to hear from ya bn. Looks like I was just a little generous on my numbers. Still very impressive though. Did you have the motor dyno'd? Can't hardly go wrong with DNE and MPD.
I'm not advertising for em, cuz I've never had any work done by either shop, but ya can't dodge the fact that all their boats turn some very impressive numbers.
Actually Jack made a shoe for me, but that was the extent of it.

roostwear
08-19-2004, 07:02 AM
By the Avi ya can get away with it. Down river your OK too. I would not go much more than a mile or two upriver with out baffels. When ya get to the houses in Bullhead, they crack down.
Yeah, those a$$holes in Bullhead........... :D

Nucking futs
08-19-2004, 07:09 AM
Yeah, those a$$holes in Bullhead........... :D
I did'nt even know i had a house in bullhead. :D

Cs19
08-19-2004, 08:02 AM
not to change the subject,but someone posted a pic somewhere from c3b of a jet with a bubble deck, people were having a hard time figuring out what it was. someone else mentioned that it previously had a capsule, and that the owner had done a bunch of work to it?
that boat -could- have been john costs old flatbottom jet hull. when frank built his new edge with the capsule, the capsule came off that old flat, and the flat hull was sold to someone to make a river runner out of it. the boat in the pic could have easily been the same boat. did anyone check the bottom??? :cool: that old capsuled flatbottom jet did have a bubble deck.
it usta b "worlds fastest flatbottom jet"... :cool:
BP, yes thats the boat. Frank is now running all the stuff from that boat.

victorfb
08-19-2004, 01:12 PM
i made it up to the back bay on monday (those rock bars looked scary) and i didnt have the baffles in. just make sure you dont do any high speed runs and keep em wet. though i also have the AZ numbers showing so that may have helped. but id still take dans advice and use the baffles if you plan on going up that far. i think i just got lucky.

djdtpr
08-20-2004, 05:30 AM
Chris usually in blythe there arent rollers like that and the pump usually stays loaded.I dont pull a 9600 on the recall very often in fact that was the second time ever.We are headed down there for labor day are you up for it?

steelcomp
08-20-2004, 06:05 AM
Steelcomp that is a clean ride i saw it there.Did you rig that boat up yourself it looked sweet.We will see ya at ming in sept.
Thanks djd...yeah, I did all the work. Was about a two year project.
What boat were you at c4b with? I only remember seeing a couple of PC's.
Thanks again for the compliment. Hope to see ya at ming.

djdtpr
08-20-2004, 06:19 AM
Thanks djd...yeah, I did all the work. Was about a two year project.
What boat were you at c4b with? I only remember seeing a couple of PC's.
Thanks again for the compliment. Hope to see ya at ming.
That thing turned out sweet!I was in the black with different browns,i left it anchored out a ways i dont like pulling it up onto the dirt,pumps cost to much.

78Southwind
08-20-2004, 07:46 AM
X,
:jawdrop: :idea: :D

steelcomp
08-20-2004, 08:01 PM
I was looking at his headers on Sun...very large tube (2 3/8?), short collector...think they were Rewarders, but he was running baffles. Wonder what that thing would have sounded like uncorked! Don't know if he was wet or dry. I ran dry/open most of the weekend, but no one seemed to mind.

FOURQ
08-20-2004, 11:25 PM
I was looking at his headers on Sun...very large tube (2 3/8?), short collector...think they were Rewarders, but he was running baffles. Wonder what that thing would have sounded like uncorked! Don't know if he was wet or dry. I ran dry/open most of the weekend, but no one seemed to mind.
you shure you seen baffles it there? all the pics i have there is no baffles in them and they are the short drag headers by bassett with no water..
4Q

XClutchboy725
08-21-2004, 08:07 AM
X,
I just had time to digest all this information! Thanks BN
you got a picture of your cav plates?

565edge
08-21-2004, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the compliment...the boat ran 11.93 at 86.8 last year with two blown head gaskets. After a fershen up this winter, it's back up to 61-6200, and around 95-97 on the speedo. See you at Ming again?
Hey,I dont know if you remember us but you cam over to our pits at ming and bullshitted all night.My ex bro-in law was the guy that ripped you off on that southwind years back.

steelcomp
08-21-2004, 10:14 AM
you shure you seen baffles it there? all the pics i have there is no baffles in them and they are the short drag headers by bassett with no water..
4Q
I was helping his son tighten his header bolts just before that last run of his on Sun. I remember thinking how huge the tubes were, and that they must have been for a blower motor. The collectors had a funny shape to them, too. Could have sworn I saw baffles...remember being surprised. Might have been another boat...I remember being surprised at seeing baffles in a boat that you wouldn't expect them in. Also remember his boat having a real unique sound to it...real low tone, and not obnoxiously loud...for a blower motor. Sounds like you know more about it than I do. You might ask him.

steelcomp
08-21-2004, 10:19 AM
Hey,I dont know if you remember us but you cam over to our pits at ming and bullshitted all night.My ex bro-in law was the guy that ripped you off on that southwind years back.
Alan, right?
Yeah, I remember. Good times!! Every time I see a SW Dragster I think of your ex bro in law POS. Saw a while back that you were trying to sell your boat. Do you still have it? I was going to give you a call...just never got one of those round tuit things to remind me. I bought a house in Nipomo. I'll be at ming this year. Where are you now?

*BN*
08-22-2004, 11:08 AM
XClutchboy725,
I will be going to river next week. So when I pull the boat out the garage to get ready I will take pics of the plates and other little tid bits and post them on a new thread.
BN
NTR Plus (http://ntrplus.com/)

XClutchboy725
08-22-2004, 03:35 PM
That would be awesome BN........thanks!

LVjetboy
08-22-2004, 09:26 PM
From header color I'd guess Red ran no (or very short) mufflers at the time of color. I'm sure Tom could enlighten us on what he ran C3B. I ran muffled and injected. But got comments like, "Why you runnin' muffers?" from fellow jetters. :) Maybe I'll uncork next time. :D
jer

XClutchboy725
08-23-2004, 05:50 AM
I run mufflers too. I get the same questions......
I would rather be safe than sorry though.