PDA

View Full Version : 34' Magic Sorcerer

CarolinaHawk
08-15-2004, 04:27 PM
I'm considering purchasing a 2005 34' Magic Sorcerer. Anybody know anything about this boat? Getting a solid price. It's a 1993 mold, but reviews seem good. Don Aronow design. Twin 496 HO's w/ XR Drives. Magic claims 75-78 mph. Your thoughts?

bohica
08-16-2004, 08:40 AM
I've owned 2 34' Magics in the past. Great boat, traditional deep v handles like a boat should. Those speeds sound about right. I had one with 454 Mags. that did around 70 mph. Will handle the rough water with ease. What kind of pricing are you getting?

Havasu Cig
08-16-2004, 11:41 AM
Bohica would know better that I, but I think those speeds with that power seems a bit high. I think that boat is a straight bottom and I would guess speeds in the low 70's. What is the weight of the boat?

SoCalOffshore
08-17-2004, 06:59 AM
i would be curious to know the price as well. Before I picked an older design i would do allot of research. Not only price but resale value.

Keith E. Sayre
08-18-2004, 04:43 PM
I sold several of them a few years ago. Ron and I actually GPS'd a brand new
one with 496HO's with an open bow in perfect water for that boat and it ran
76.1 mph with 2 of us in it and no gas or junk. Now, if you figure in that it
is a 1993 boat that you're looking at, it probably has a closed bow, it'll pick
up about 3 mph for the closed bow but might lose a mph or 2 due to the
fact that it is older and heavier? Bohica knows better than the rest of us
having had 2 but I'd say 75 is a decent number on a perfect day without
anything in the boat. I have an old video of me riding in one with Ken Brown
driving it (closed bow) in 1994 and it ran 74 mph with 415hp 502's-- empty in perfect conditions. Also shows him shutting off one engine and us continuing on with only one motor at 49 mph!! I've got it on film!
Great rough water bottom but some of the newer ones are as good and faster. What is the price?
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

bohica
08-18-2004, 05:33 PM
I think he's buying a new boat, and only referring that the mold has been around since 93.
I do know the newer boats built after Sleekcraft took over are a little nicer than the old ones built by Ken. Don't let the sales pitch of turning off one motor and still be able to keep it on plane fool you. It might stay on plane, but you'll never be able to get it to plane on one motor. :wink:

SoCalOffshore
08-18-2004, 09:04 PM
I think he's buying a new boat, and only referring that the mold has been around since 93.
I do know the newer boats built after Sleekcraft took over are a little nicer than the old ones built by Ken. Don't let the sales pitch of turning off one motor and still be able to keep it on plane fool you. It might stay on plane, but you'll never be able to get it to plane on one motor. :wink:
Love that Schiada 21 RC Keith!

CarolinaHawk
08-21-2004, 04:51 PM
I bought the boat!! Just breaking it in but it feels like a mid 70's boat. It handles unbelievably. I have no complaints and the service I'm getting from Magic is top notch. The boat is perfect. It was a long but fruitful buying process. 8-10 builders and 6 weeks of looking paid off. Thanks for all your input.

CAHotRodBoy
08-23-2004, 08:28 PM
Don Aronow design. Your thoughts?
Congrats on your purchase, hope you enjoy it! I don't think this is true, though.

Quality Time
08-23-2004, 08:52 PM
If I'm not mistaken it is an Arronow hull.
Congrats in the new ride.

CAHotRodBoy
08-24-2004, 06:20 AM
If I'm not mistaken it is an Arronow hull.
Congrats in the new ride.
Splash of a previous design? He had been dead for 6 years by 1993. I'm no expert but I don't recall any mention anywhere of him designing for Magic or Magic being one of the many companies he started and sold (Formula, Donzi, Cig, Squadran, Team USA, etc). Does anyone have any photos of one? I'd love to see one and learn more about them.

bohica
08-24-2004, 08:23 AM
Ken Brown had originally purchased the molds when he started Magic. It was supposedly a Don Arownow hull. 1993 was when Ken first started to make the 34'. Don't know date the mold was originally made.

Havasu Cig
08-24-2004, 12:12 PM
I remember reading the same thing about Magic buying the hulls from either Arronow or one of the companies he owned.

Quality Time
08-24-2004, 08:37 PM
CA HotRod,
After Arronow founded the various companies you listed, his last effort was Arronow Powerboats. A few V's as well as Cats. The molds that Magic bought were Arronow molds. Not sure what happened to the cat hulls.

CJ
08-25-2004, 10:01 PM
Magic was a choice high on my list before the owner gave me a look at his attitude towards the customer. Their boats look nice, but I need a company that wants me to yell their name, wear their gear, not one that tricks you into buying their boat then goes behind your back to use your hard work and effort to benefit themselves.
I have spoken to many builders since and have learned much. There are a few out there to trust, but always ask the right questions, get the answers in writing and hold them to them.
If you decide to get a Magic, make sure Ron Moyes stands behind the boat. Make sure he signs anything they agree to. Make sure he promises to treat you as you deserve to be treated when spending over 100k on one of his boats.
I asked the right questions, got the right answers, did NOT get in writing and the went against their word. They then told me that they would do it again. Ron told me that I did not click with the company. I guess my demand for integrity, quality and customer service was not what they wanted to hear.
Great luck whatever you buy.

Flying Tiger
09-09-2004, 11:45 AM
Amazing, but you'd think you'd read more about Magics in Hot Boats.
They seem to be rarely discussed.
CJ's was the first take I ever read here. Though I'm sure more has been said. I'd take heed in CJ's words. Most boat builders are tricky people. Eyes wide open.
The Sorcerer has caught my eye too. If I go bigger,, Sorcerer is on the list.
It's a lotta boat between you and the water. A whole new definition of the word freeboard.
They're awsum monsterboats,, and I would love one. Candy rainbow colors, with marbled, thin tiger stripes.
Yea,, that's the way I'd buy it.