PDA

View Full Version : what do ya think?

sleekvino
08-15-2004, 05:30 PM
Well boys, I have finally had it. I'm gettin rid of the Olds and I'm buying a Chevy. My question to you guys is I found a Hondo T-deck with a Jacuzzi pump. What do you think of those pumps? Any info would be great. Are they easy to rebuild, are they as good as Berkeley, etc.......? :hammer2:

Jake W
08-15-2004, 07:28 PM
I would stay away from the Jacuzzi no it is not as good as a Berk.The Hondo sounds intresting though what year is it?If you plan on buying it plan on converting it to a ATM Energizer kit .
Jake :crossx:

Bow Tie Omega
08-15-2004, 07:39 PM
I have been told that Jack from MPD thinks very highly of the Jacuzzi's, the WJ's. The one big plus with the berks over the others is the amount of aftermarket parts available

sleekvino
08-15-2004, 07:44 PM
thanks ill call him tomorrow. :idea:

dgie
08-15-2004, 08:04 PM
Yea when I talked to Jack about my Jacuzzi WJ and told him that I wish I had a Berkley. He defended the Jacuzzi, I was not expecting that, he said that a tight Jacuzzi could run along with a berkely no problem. Another thing is if you are switching over to Berkley, there is some fiberglass work that will need to be done to your boat. As for me I am starting to really like my setup 455 / Jacuzzi, like someone said here on this board before. "It's nice to have something that not everyone else is running" If you need parts to rebuild that Jacuzzi look for the thread with the parts list with prices that I put up. The most expensive part will be the Bearing $38.00 or so the rest are packings, provided that there is no real damage in your pump.

dgie
08-15-2004, 08:11 PM
I forgot to mention, it seams like evertime I punch it these little lake lice (Jet Ski's)try to catch up to me. None have cought up to me yet. I thought those things are suposed to be fast :D

Jake W
08-15-2004, 08:14 PM
So what do you guys plan on up grading to?Un less you do alot of maching there is no droops or after market imps to go to.You will be stuck with a original alum imp and not be able to up grade to a SS or Bronz.And MPD is about the only shop that I know of that does the (Machined)shoe and ride plates for them.I am no expert but why make things hard on your self?We have all said we wernt consrined with that stuff at on time or another ,that will change with time.you can justify any thing in your own mind.
If you like the boat and it is what you want get it just know what you be working with.
Jake :crossx:

dgie
08-15-2004, 08:26 PM
Jake I agree with you. there are more parts available and cheaper for the Berkley. I am just saying that if there is really nothing wrong with the Jacuzzi, give it a try instead of ploping $$ down on a different pump, that may or may not increase performance expectations of the boater (or should I say jetter). I was pissed :mad: at my 455 and jacuzzi setup, only because I had no idea what I was doing. I think Backforty layed it out for me on that issue awhile back. Now that I am getting the bugs worked out little by little and learning more and more each day, with the help of people on this board. The boat is increasing in depedability every time I fix something right. Anyways it's just my 2 cents on the issue ;)

BrendellaJet
08-15-2004, 08:29 PM
Ive got an MPD 12WJ. If you're interested in hearing about it shoot me a PM. Ive not run it, but it looks great, and Jack said the pumps could be competitive with the berks.
I like the idea of running an underdog pump. Im sure it will surprise a few boats next summer.
The upgrade to run berk droop/nozzle was a pretty cheap conversion...

Jake W
08-15-2004, 08:32 PM
I hear you ,its too bad that Jacuzzi never took it to the next level in preformance back then.
Jake

dgie
08-15-2004, 08:36 PM
I guess Jack picked up the ball and ran with it on the perfomance issues for Jacuzzi. I wish i could work in his shop for a day. :D

Jake W
08-15-2004, 08:44 PM
Brendella yours is a WJ rite.This stuff Jack at MPD can do to them.But you are not helping the YJ with out the ATM or Aggressor kit.
Did he or is he able to put an inducer in the WJ?
Jake

BrendellaJet
08-15-2004, 09:20 PM
Yes, mine is a WJ. Jack can put an inducer on it. I elected not to because I wanted to see how it worked without first. Did not need one before, it may in the future with the increase in power.
Definitely use the energizer if you have a YJ, that will convert it to a mixed flow.

BadBahner
08-16-2004, 11:59 AM
Ive got an MPD 12WJ. If you're interested in hearing about it shoot me a PM. Ive not run it, but it looks great, and Jack said the pumps could be competitive with the berks.
I like the idea of running an underdog pump. Im sure it will surprise a few boats next summer.
The upgrade to run berk droop/nozzle was a pretty cheap conversion...
One thing I have learned in life... When people are trying to tell you that their product is just as good as brand X, berk in this case, then it is brand x that you want. Sometimes the other product will meet the expectations of the user but in most cases you cannot go wrong with the product that all others are measured by.
Eric

BrendellaJet
08-16-2004, 01:59 PM
One thing I have learned in life... When people are trying to tell you that their product is just as good as brand X, berk in this case, then it is brand x that you want. Sometimes the other product will meet the expectations of the user but in most cases you cannot go wrong with the product that all others are measured by.
Eric
You must be right. Ill tell one of the best pump builders in the country that hes wrong and that his experiences with this pump must be imagined. Jacuzzis suck-just ask the guy with 22 posts... :hammerhea
Jacuzzis aren't as popular because they didn't spend the money to market their product. Berk did and thats why more of them have been whipped into shape and became the pump to have. Doesn't mean that the Jacuzzis cant run with them.

dgie
08-16-2004, 02:07 PM
Brendella damit I cant give you anymore then 1 good rep point at a time. I was shooting for 3 or even 2 minimum for the good words on the Jacuzzi :D