PDA

View Full Version : Monsoon Season In High Gear

Bow Tie Omega
08-15-2004, 07:52 PM
Well, just sitting here, bored out of my mind, bummed about missing CBBB and watching lightning strike about every 2 seconds, winds about 50 mph and intermittent rain. Of course I washed the cars, front windows and the driveway today. This crap goes on just about every day out here. How in the world do people keep their cars and trucks clean out here? Man do I miss earthquakes and fires right about now. I think I will go down to the garage and tinker with the BTO.

JetBoatRich
08-15-2004, 07:57 PM
It was a awesome storm to drive through :wink: we made it through just before they closed the road and made people go though Bull Head :)

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-15-2004, 07:58 PM
:jawdrop: glad you made it through.. :p

Kilrtoy
08-15-2004, 08:05 PM
Rich ,
Living on the edge

Mrs. casean
08-15-2004, 08:22 PM
We saw some good lightning Friday around 11:30 in Blythe at Aha Quin... huge bolts and so freakin loud. The worst crack was about 100 ft away and a site to see...

Ivan Dan
08-15-2004, 08:40 PM
Was anyone headin home today about 3ish through Yucca Valley? We got caught in some pretty crazy flash flooding and I wish I would have had my truck instead of my car. I think it was the first time I've ever been scared of the thought of my car being flooded out. Some crazy big rig driver was just barreling through the flooded areas. Everyone was panicking and I had to make a decision quick so I latched onto the rear bumper of the big rig and let him plow the way. I wouldn't be suprised if some poor peoples cars got flooded out and lost. It totally snuck up on us and caught everyone off guard. I wish I had my camera with me because it was the most intense flash flooding I've ever seen.

RiverRatMike
08-15-2004, 08:43 PM
yeah monsoon season has been pretty good so far this year. This photo I took Wed night from my home in Havasu. http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4463P1015175.JPG

Scream
08-15-2004, 08:45 PM
Headed back in to retrieve the boat from Steamboat this afternoon and saw this amazing lightning strike that was seconds long, not just a flash, but it stayed in the air for a really long time. Kinda freeky. That was too cool, glad we were'nt anywhere near where it hit though...

Outnumbered
08-15-2004, 09:06 PM
Well, just sitting here, bored out of my mind, bummed about missing CBBB and watching lightning strike about every 2 seconds, winds about 50 mph and intermittent rain. Of course I washed the cars, front windows and the driveway today. This crap goes on just about every day out here. How in the world do people keep their cars and trucks clean out here? Man do I miss earthquakes and fires right about now. I think I will go down to the garage and tinker with the BTO.
Really? We are loving the monsoons. Sitting on the back patio under the cover with the tunes on and a Corona watching the storm roll thru tonight with the wife and kids was nice. Quite a show. And the sunsets are awesome:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/9738-2004_050-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/9738-2004_035-med.jpg

Outnumbered
08-15-2004, 09:07 PM
Oh ya, try parking in the garage :smile:

bordsmnj
08-15-2004, 09:08 PM
Was anyone headin home today about 3ish through Yucca Valley? We got caught in some pretty crazy flash flooding and I wish I would have had my truck instead of my car. I think it was the first time I've ever been scared of the thought of my car being flooded out. Some crazy big rig driver was just barreling through the flooded areas. Everyone was panicking and I had to make a decision quick so I latched onto the rear bumper of the big rig and let him plow the way. I wouldn't be suprised if some poor peoples cars got flooded out and lost. It totally snuck up on us and caught everyone off guard. I wish I had my camera with me because it was the most intense flash flooding I've ever seen.
yeah, i got a call from my dad today who was driving through there on his way back to yucaipa from bullhead. he said one of the flash floods was about 4 miles long. he's not easily excitable but he was thrilled when he called. i pulled up the radar image during the worst of it at weatherunderground .com and it was pretty impressive. glad i wasn't pulling the boat through that crap!also glad you made through in good shape. -jas

XtrmWakeborder
08-15-2004, 09:20 PM
I love the storms..during the night. Great to watch and i love the smell the next morning.

Ivan Dan
08-15-2004, 09:29 PM
yeah, i got a call from my dad today who was driving through there on his way back to yucaipa from bullhead. he said one of the flash floods was about 4 miles long. he's not easily excitable but he was thrilled when he called. i pulled up the radar image during the worst of it at weatherunderground .com and it was pretty impressive. glad i wasn't pulling the boat through that crap!also glad you made through in good shape. -jas
Thanks man I'm glad we made it through too and same with your dad! I've seen some pretty crazy crap with my involvement in offroad racing throughout the years and don't "scare" too easily. I was a little scared about my car being flooded out. I would say it was even longer than 4 miles but it might just seemed a lot longer because I was in the middle of it. Thank god for that big rig because he just plowed right through it for me.

Bow Tie Omega
08-15-2004, 09:55 PM
Oh ya, try parking in the garage :smile:
Well, with a 3 car garage, one car already in it and a boat/trailer that is 24 ft from hitch to pump nozzle, that does not leave much room for the other 2 cars :idea:

Outnumbered
08-15-2004, 10:02 PM
Well, with a 3 car garage, one car already in it and a boat/trailer that is 24 ft from hitch to pump nozzle, that does not leave much room for the other 2 cars :idea:
Looks like ya better sell the house and get one with a bigger garage :smile: That is one thing that does not make sense to me. All these boats in Arizona and all these builders building small garages---even on big houses. Seems only Havasu builders have caught on to that big garage deal. I had to search far and wide to find my 3+1 garage and its still too small.
You guys getting pounded right now? We just had a good storm come thru a few hours ago and I think its in your neighborhood right about now.
OL

Bow Tie Omega
08-16-2004, 06:40 AM
Yeah, it was going pretty good there for a while, we had the candles out just in case. But it passed and all is good again, just dirty windows, dirty driveway and dirty cars again that I just cleaned....ah well

cdog
08-16-2004, 08:22 AM
The weather here in OC is boring. I worked out in AZ for a couple of years and I miss the Monsoons. I'm leaving thursday to Tucson, hopefully i'll get some monsoon action. Can't wait to step out of the plane and take that first breath of 110 degree dry heat. I always wondered if i'd actually be happy living in AZ or just like visiting. I miss the sunsets but don't miss the drivers. Is it just me or are there a lot of brain dead drivers out there?

HCS
08-16-2004, 08:28 AM
yeah monsoon season has been pretty good so far this year. This photo I took Wed night from my home in Havasu. http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4463P1015175.JPG
Wow. Save that to your desk top. That's awesome.

Outnumbered
08-16-2004, 08:30 AM
The weather here in OC is boring. I worked out in AZ for a couple of years and I miss the Monsoons. I'm leaving thursday to Tucson, hopefully i'll get some monsoon action. Can't wait to step out of the plane and take that first breath of 110 degree dry heat. I always wondered if i'd actually be happy living in AZ or just like visiting. I miss the sunsets but don't miss the drivers. Is it just me or are there a lot of brain dead drivers out there?
I thought just the opposite. Drivers seems worse in Cali to me. Maybe its worse in Tucson but its not bad up here in the NW Phoenix valley compared to the 909 in Cali.
OL

Keithb87
08-16-2004, 08:36 AM
The major problem with Driving in Az and also probally Ca is that both states are highly trainsient.. There are not a lot of Natives as compared to the number of Transplants.. So you have a bunch of different driving styles, and people do not take the time to familarize themselfs with the laws of the different states..
I know that when I to AZ from Colorado from Kansas, I would get angry at peeps pulling a u-turn in the middle of traffic.. Not legal in Ks but I later found out.. (Diversion Driving School to avoid points on my license) that it is legal in AZ as long as it is not posted as no u-turn.
Allthough the Rules of the road are similar accross the US, The Laws from State to State, and even city to city are different.. :)

cdog
08-16-2004, 08:37 AM
I thought just the opposite. Drivers seems worse in Cali to me. Maybe its worse in Tucson but its not bad up here in the NW Phoenix valley compared to the 909 in Cali.
OL
I found when trailing my schiada from tucson to havasu i'd almost get run off the road when driving between tucson to phoenix. Probably the worst stretch of road in the US. I think it's all the retarded I mean retired peeps in tucson. Phoenix is actualy just like cali.

cdog
08-16-2004, 08:42 AM
Old Lavey,
So how do you like AZ so far? We almost sold two months ago to go to Scottsdale. I'm a realtor in OC, we decided it would be a lot of work to move right now. I keep saying as soon as I run out of work i'm leaving to AZ, so far it has'nt happened.

RiverRatMike
08-16-2004, 06:16 PM
I have the full image 1MB photo of that lighting photo I took. PM me and I'll send you the full size image. I have on my desktop and it looks great! :eek:
Wow. Save that to your desk top. That's awesome.

RiverRatMike
08-17-2004, 07:13 PM
who saw the storm out here in Havasu last night? Man was that sick. I had a lightning bolt come down about 1000 ft from me. Amazing the power of the storms out here. Also got 0.25 inches of rain.

79miller
08-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Did you get any more pics?

SMFRiverRat
08-17-2004, 08:23 PM
Parker Thunderstorm (http://www.members.aol.com/skywstav8r/thunderstormmpg)
Over Parker on Monday.

RiverRatMike
08-18-2004, 04:55 AM
yeah I got a few. It was raining so hard and the lightning was so close it made it hard for me to take photos. I'll post a couple that I took later today
Did you get any more pics?

RiverRatMike
08-18-2004, 04:56 AM
tried opening this file but couldn't
Parker Thunderstorm (http://www.members.aol.com/skywstav8r/thunderstormmpg)
Over Parker on Monday.

RiverRatMike
08-18-2004, 05:01 AM
ok here is one I took from my backyard Monday night. Wish I could have captured some of the closer ones.
http://www.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/r/riverratmike/85.jpg

79miller
08-18-2004, 06:20 AM
Nice!
Right click the file and save target. Once you get it, change the file type to .mpg, then you can watch it in windows media player. It's a aerial view of a huge thunderhead.
SMFRiverRat: What's the story behind the video? Just cruising the clouds and you whipped out your camera? :idea:

PHX ATC
08-18-2004, 06:22 AM
Those are really nice pictures.
Thanks for sharing. :shift:

SMFRiverRat
08-18-2004, 08:23 AM
Yeah. Just going between PHX and LAX. The FO had a camera and took it in the MPG mode. Have a couple more too. That was right over Parker on Monday. Glad I was not under it.

Outnumbered
08-18-2004, 08:30 AM
Old Lavey,
So how do you like AZ so far? We almost sold two months ago to go to Scottsdale. I'm a realtor in OC, we decided it would be a lot of work to move right now. I keep saying as soon as I run out of work i'm leaving to AZ, so far it has'nt happened.
So far it has been great. We used to live in Lake Arrowhead and it was too cold and too remote. It was a 50 minute drive to Costco, Best Buy, etc. And that was in beautiful San Berdo.
Here the weather is awesome...the heat is not near as bad as I had expected. We came back to Cali a few weekends ago and it was 100-105 in San Berdo with much higher humidity. It felt much worse than 110 here in AZ. We are in the pool all the time here. In Arrowhead the water was only warm in August and Sept and that was 75*-77*.
Got a new big house with a pool and spa in a beautiful new area with a new school etc. All the stores and restaurants you could ever want within 5-20 minutes. All for about 1/2 the price of South OC. It is getting crowded but not like SoCal.
No regrets. Its nice. But I didn't live in a nice area of OC so I don't know if I would move here after living there. It sure beats the 909 as far as I'm concerned. We wanted to leave the 909 and I could not see paying $800k for a decent house in a decent area so this is where we went. Its all good.
OL

SHOCKWAVETOM
08-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Nodigg and I rode our bikes right thru that crap in Vegas Monday coming back from Sturgis :) We ain't afraid of no stinkin' storm....lol Passing a truck in that hail, wind, rain on the 15 was almost too much though.

79miller
08-18-2004, 11:29 AM
Yeah. Just going between PHX and LAX. The FO had a camera and took it in the MPG mode. Have a couple more too. That was right over Parker on Monday. Glad I was not under it.
Cool, catch any good video at night?