PDA

View Full Version : Any new news from Raylar?

Ivan Dan
08-16-2004, 11:03 AM
So have you tested the kit out on a boat yet? Results? A lot of us are very curious here....come on :smile: :confused: :D

Phat Matt
08-16-2004, 11:40 AM
I was just talking to one of my friends about the kit last night. I want to know what the deal is too! :confused:

Toomstone
08-16-2004, 01:12 PM
i talked to chris winn about the kit and he said he was probably going to do it in november and be the first. he also wants to plan a day trip down to san diego to check out the kit and have raylar explain the entire thing. I finally found out that raylar will in install it, test your boat at elsinore, and help choose prop size. ill keep you guys updated if i hear anything.
Toomstone :crossx:

Phat Matt
08-16-2004, 01:16 PM
i talked to chris winn about the kit and he said he was probably going to do it in november and be the first. he also wants to plan a day trip down to san diego to check out the kit and have raylar explain the entire thing. I finally found out that raylar will in install it, test your boat at elsinore, and help choose prop size. ill keep you guys updated if i hear anything.
Thanks. I was down in SD this past weekend. I should have looked Raylar up.

Ivan Dan
08-16-2004, 01:51 PM
Thanks Toomstone....we have the same boat so once you get yours done let me know how it turns out. :D Just kidding....can't do mine until atleast the end of December when the warranty is up.

Toomstone
08-16-2004, 01:56 PM
my warranty will be up at the begining of november. so if all goes well with chris once he gets his on, i might get it in early spring. i asked outcole'd who has a deckboat with a 525 how fast hes gone and he said in spring with a 26p he got 84. raylar said he might be able to get the 496ho to almost 550hp. so..... im hoping to at least be over 85 on a good cool day and 80 with the family.

Ivan Dan
08-16-2004, 05:36 PM
my warranty will be up at the begining of november. so if all goes well with chris once he gets his on, i might get it in early spring. i asked outcole'd who has a deckboat with a 525 how fast hes gone and he said in spring with a 26p he got 84. raylar said he might be able to get the 496ho to almost 550hp. so..... im hoping to at least be over 85 on a good cool day and 80 with the family.
Since we are on the subject....on a hot weekend and somewhat full tanks what kind of speeds are you seeing? What type of RPM's are you running at and where do you usually run the trim at to acheive top speed? I can't seem to get mine over about 4700 RPM's even trying all different trim settings. I know this isn't right and I should be seeing about 5200 or 5300.
Thanks!

Toomstone
08-16-2004, 05:51 PM
:crossx: Since we are on the subject....on a hot weekend and somewhat full tanks what kind of speeds are you seeing? What type of RPM's are you running at and where do you usually run the trim at to acheive top speed? I can't seem to get mine over about 4700 RPM's even trying all different trim settings. I know this isn't right and I should be seeing about 5200 or 5300.
Thanks!
the last weekend we were out we were seeing 66 almost full with 2 people. now we have seen 70 with no gear when we first got it and another time with 3 people when it was in the 70's outside in the morning. i havent really paid attention to the rpms but i dont think im getting over 5k either. if i go out this weekend ill check it and tell you. i trim it right around the half way line on the gauge for top speed. what top speed have you seen?
toomstone

Ivan Dan
08-16-2004, 07:24 PM
:crossx:
the last weekend we were out we were seeing 66 almost full with 2 people. now we have seen 70 with no gear when we first got it and another time with 3 people when it was in the 70's outside in the morning. i havent really paid attention to the rpms but i dont think im getting over 5k either. if i go out this weekend ill check it and tell you. i trim it right around the half way line on the gauge for top speed. what top speed have you seen?
toomstone
I have seen 70/71 on GPS when we first got the boat. This was back in January when it was nice and cool out. This past weekend we had 5 people and pretty much full tanks and I could only get about 61 or so but like I said its only seeing about 4700 RPM. I have noticed that if you trim it just above half way it seems to be the best. When you are just cruising though trim it down to about 1/3 of the way up or so and it rides A LOT better. It doesn't seem to slam so hard it plows a little more but definitely rides better.
I can't wait to see how the Raylar kit works out because I am really excited about getting some extra mph's out of it. I would absolutely LOVE to see mid 80's on a great day and be able to cruise 65 or so.

Toomstone
08-16-2004, 07:50 PM
I have seen 70/71 on GPS when we first got the boat. This was back in January when it was nice and cool out. This past weekend we had 5 people and pretty much full tanks and I could only get about 61 or so but like I said its only seeing about 4700 RPM. I have noticed that if you trim it just above half way it seems to be the best. When you are just cruising though trim it down to about 1/3 of the way up or so and it rides A LOT better. It doesn't seem to slam so hard it plows a little more but definitely rides better.
I can't wait to see how the Raylar kit works out because I am really excited about getting some extra mph's out of it. I would absolutely LOVE to see mid 80's on a great day and be able to cruise 65 or so.
ya we were doing 55 with 14 people one weekend. i remembered at full throttle ive gotten 4900 rpms. i usually trim it all the way down when its rough and go about 55 and it gets right on top of all that havasu chop. but if you go below 45 then start to feel it alot more. if you are going about 30 and u have it trimmed about half way and you hit a little chop does it kind of porpoise???

Ivan Dan
08-16-2004, 10:09 PM
ya we were doing 55 with 14 people one weekend. i remembered at full throttle ive gotten 4900 rpms. i usually trim it all the way down when its rough and go about 55 and it gets right on top of all that havasu chop. but if you go below 45 then start to feel it alot more. if you are going about 30 and u have it trimmed about half way and you hit a little chop does it kind of porpoise???
We had 11 people, full tanks, built in ice chest FULL, and 2 more coolers full and the boat struggled to just get up on plane. Once it got on plane I got it up to about 55ish. I don't normally run at 30 mph but I will try it next time out and let you know.
If I'm not mistaken the rev limiter is set for 5300 on the 496HO right?!?! Shouldn't I be able to get it pretty close to that rev limiter? If I'm only tach'n out at 4700 right now should I change props? Or have my current prop labbed? Anyone know????

THOR
08-17-2004, 06:03 AM
We had 11 people, full tanks, built in ice chest FULL, and 2 more coolers full and the boat struggled to just get up on plane. Once it got on plane I got it up to about 55ish. I don't normally run at 30 mph but I will try it next time out and let you know.
If I'm not mistaken the rev limiter is set for 5300 on the 496HO right?!?! Shouldn't I be able to get it pretty close to that rev limiter? If I'm only tach'n out at 4700 right now should I change props? Or have my current prop labbed? Anyone know????
Ivan,
the stock settings for the HO are set at 5150 rpm. Two things you could do here IMO. Try labbing your prop and you should see an extra 200-300 rpm, or, use the same pitch prop but in a 5 blade. Merc has a really nice 5 blade called the Maximus that is pretty nice. They also have their traditional 'High Five' propeller that works well too. The 5 blade with cost you a small amount on top speed, but it will help tremendously on your holeshot.

Phat Matt
08-17-2004, 08:19 AM
According to Mercury the WOT range of the HO is between 4600-5000 rpm's.

JB in so cal
08-17-2004, 08:31 AM
Ivan Dan and Toomstone,
I've got the same boat as both of you and my experience so far- about 18 hours - is about the same. A couple of short bursts to just below 70 on the speedo and 4800 or 4900. The last time in the boat, I had 7 adults, 4 kids and a dog and skied and tubed great - no problem with hole shot.
I'll keep looking for your boats out there (a lot of them to look at)
JB

Toomstone
08-17-2004, 08:34 AM
jb and ivan dan,
what size prop are you two running? magic put on a 24p. im guessing since we have the same speeds we probably have the same prop.

JB in so cal
08-17-2004, 08:36 AM
Yes. 24' that was on the boat.

Ivan Dan
08-17-2004, 11:36 AM
Ivan,
the stock settings for the HO are set at 5150 rpm. Two things you could do here IMO. Try labbing your prop and you should see an extra 200-300 rpm, or, use the same pitch prop but in a 5 blade. Merc has a really nice 5 blade called the Maximus that is pretty nice. They also have their traditional 'High Five' propeller that works well too. The 5 blade with cost you a small amount on top speed, but it will help tremendously on your holeshot.
I was thinking about having the prop labbed anyways. I've heard people seeing an extra 2-3 mph by doing it. Any truth to this?
I believe I have a 24p also.

Ivan Dan
10-27-2004, 11:23 PM
Raylar~ Any results yet? I am VERY interested in your kit but would really like to see results from testing in a boat. Anyone do this kit yet? COME ON....fill us in here!

shadow
10-28-2004, 04:00 AM
Ray,@ Raylar has me convinced and am hoping to be doing these upgrades very soon.They have covered all bases for the 496HO and are not only concerned about gaining HP but keeping it reliable.To me turn key is a important factor.I think Raylar upgrades will be the way to go and is really going to take off.

shadow
10-28-2004, 04:27 AM
Ivan Dan,go over to gear heads section and theres a post from Ray.
they also have headers,billet pulleys,valve covers,oil pan ,ss fasteners.all to dress up the kit.

mike37
10-28-2004, 05:16 AM
Ivan Dan,go over to gear heads section and theres a post from Ray.
they also have headers,billet pulleys,valve covers,oil pan ,ss fasteners.all to dress up the kit.
I'm very interested in that kit to but its 6K for it and you can get a Whipple for not much more
I my just get a set of aluminum heads and Whipple it

jbtrailerjim
10-28-2004, 05:24 AM
He posted a few days ago and said he will have a booth at the SEMA Show. I plan on stopping by and getting the lowdown on his set up.

shadow
10-28-2004, 08:23 AM
I'm very interested in that kit to but its 6K for it and you can get a Whipple for not much more
I my just get a set of aluminum heads and Whipple it
Heads are not the concern with adding a wipple it's the pistons that may end up failing.

Boozer
10-28-2004, 08:37 AM
Heads are not the concern with adding a wipple it's the pistons that may end up failing.
Whats the compression ratio on a 496HO? Am I safe to assume the pistons are just cast and not forged?

Mandelon
10-28-2004, 08:41 AM
That's a lot of moola for only a few mph's......

riverrunner
10-28-2004, 09:12 AM
That's a lot of moola for only a few mph's......
I read somewhere that it's going to be like $4500 for 100 HP, doesn't sound to bad to me.

Mandelon
10-28-2004, 09:33 AM
Some folks paid $4500 for their entire boat.....
I would like to 80 instead of 70, but can't justify it. Of course I was able to justify almost $50K for a boat...... :hammerhea so what the hell do I know... :)

shadow
10-28-2004, 09:57 AM
Heads are not the concern with adding a whipple it's the pistons that may end up failing.
Safe to say the pistons would be the weak link.Don't get me wrong i belive that whipple is top of the line,just don't have the confidence in merc 496 pistons.
Raylar is also offering upgraded pistons as well.all depends how far you want to go.

shadow
10-28-2004, 10:34 AM
Heres a link to the Raylar website. www.raylarengine.com

Raylar
10-28-2004, 10:54 AM
Hey ***boaters:
I am thrilled that you are getting excited about using our great new products, so am I! Just to remind everyone we will have a full booth display next week at Sema in Las Vegas. We have set up three new boaters as project boats for November and December installs and obviously the magazines will be doing project articles that should appear in January and February. We will keep you posted. For those of you waiting, thats cool, but for those of you who want the power now I will assure you you won't be dissapointed or have any issues with our products.
Ray@ Raylar :D

mike37
10-28-2004, 04:30 PM
Safe to say the pistons would be the weak link.Don't get me wrong i belive that Whipple is top of the line,just don't have the confidence in merc 496 pistons.
Raylar is also offering upgraded pistons as well.all depends how far you want to go. the pistons are not a problem if you keep the boost down
I'm changing to aluminum heads to let it breath better and have a better valve train and save 100lb of load
I may go with the Raylar heads and cam and whiplle it

mike37
10-28-2004, 04:35 PM
contacted raylar a wile back and got this pricing
Mike,
$5800 plus shipping and taxes in California. Next heads and manifold production ready 1st week of August for shipping.
You will like our parts and the power they really produce, get ready to change props.
Ray

CEO
10-28-2004, 05:18 PM
ME TOO!!!!!

CEO
10-28-2004, 05:20 PM
Yes. 24' that was on the boat.
Me Too!!

CEO
10-28-2004, 05:22 PM
Some folks paid $4500 for their entire boat.....
I would like to 80 instead of 70, but can't justify it. Of course I was able to justify almost $50K for a boat...... :hammerhea so what the hell do I know... :)
lol

shadow
10-28-2004, 05:35 PM
the pistons are not a problem if you keep the boost down
I'm changing to aluminum heads to let it breath better and have a better valve train and save 100lb of load
I may go with the Raylar heads and cam and whiplle it
Seems like an awful lot of money to put into it then keep the boost down.
How long willl you be happy running 3lbs of boost,knowing you have the potential to change a pulley and raise the boost?
Raylar also has pistons to handle the boost and have a solid lower end to go along with the money invested in upper end.
Good luck with which ever route you go. :) keep us posted.

mike37
10-28-2004, 06:15 PM
Seems like an awful lot of money to put into it then keep the boost down.
How long willl you be happy running 3lbs of boost,knowing you have the potential to change a pulley and raise the boost?
Raylar also has pistons to handle the boost and have a solid lower end to go along with the money invested in upper end.
Good luck with which ever route you go. :) keep us posted.
3lb you can run 5 to 8 on the stock pistons with 91 oct gas no problem

mike37
10-28-2004, 06:19 PM
shadow are you going to be at lake Mohave in jun
bruce has bin tellin me you can party like a rock star

Raylar
10-29-2004, 11:16 AM
Hey hot boaters, here is the new picture of the new motor we will have on display at SEMA.
-Raylar

shadow
10-29-2004, 12:02 PM
shadow are you going to be at lake Mohave in jun
bruce has bin tellin me you can party like a rock star
Will be there just confirm the dates when it gets closer.
why wait till June,tell Bruce to get hiss ass out here we are only 5 min from the lake.
Ray that is an awesome looking package!!!!!!!!
I can't wait and i'm sure there will be aline of people wanting to do these upgrades.

dicudmore
10-29-2004, 01:23 PM
Hey hot boaters, here is the new picture of the new motor we will have on display at SEMA.
-Raylar
NICE.....there was a motor in that pic ??

mike37
10-29-2004, 01:32 PM
Raylar must have posted the wrong pic I only See a hot babe in a yellow and black bikini