PDA

View Full Version : Charging AGM with Flooded

Sotally Tober
04-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Ok, I got my batts. I got a Group 31 Optima for my starting Batt. and 3 Trojan Flooded Deep cycle batts for the stereo. I was going to isolate with my perko. Can I put them on the same circuit when I plug it into charge at the end of the day. Or do I need to get 2 chargers to completely isolate them for charging only.

Tom Brown
04-09-2006, 09:10 AM
If you must charge both starting and stereo bats, get two chargers or a single two channel charger.
Why are you charging your starting battery? Can't you use a little more ether and just let the alternator take care of the cranking bat? There's no point hooking a charger up to an Optima and boiling off the water (which can't be replaced) when the alternator is taking care of things just fine.
Oh yeah... get an automatic charger. They are easier on your batteries and they'll tell you when it's done.

Sotally Tober
04-09-2006, 10:11 AM
I was planing on get a Iota or CAE 55-75 amp charger. Using it to charge all the batteries. I want a high output charge for when I'm at Powell with the houseboat. We run the 15kw generator at night for a couple of hours to charge all the batts for the inverter. I want to charge the small boat batteries in a couple of hours, not overnight. You did make a point, just let the alt. keep the Optima charged. I just wondered when I'm home if I can put them all on the same curcuit for float charging. But, from what I have heard the Optima will not self discharge very fast. Will an Iota boil an Optima?

Just Tool'n
04-09-2006, 11:49 AM
You want to keep that optima or AGM battery voltage coming in from the charger down under 14.5 Volts DC.
AGM batteries do not like high settings on them, they prefer lower voltage.
Here is one way to check, get a DVOM ( Digital Volt-*Ohm Meter ) & measure the voltage on each settings,
As homer Simpson would say, " Make Note To Self " keep a memeory of what is to high, & dont use that setting on the AGM batteries.
Batteries like lower amprage when they are recharging, this will give you maximum life from them.

Roaddogg 4040
04-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Definately charge them seperatly! The AGM's need seperate charge settings.
Steve

Jesster
04-10-2006, 08:07 AM
I just purchased an IOTA DLS-55 charger w/ IQ4 for 145.00 shipped on ebay as Shockwavebob recommended for my 2 Odyssey 2150's. Here is a link to the seller
IOTA DLS-55 (http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZdrpromiseincQQssPageNam eZMERCQ5fVICQ5fReBayQ5fPr3Q5fPcNQ5fQ5fSI) I had to upgrade mine to the IQ4
after the sale because they werent listing one with it when I purchased but if you contact them they will supply it. Great deal and quick shipment.

Tom Brown
04-10-2006, 08:12 AM
If you charge any lead acid battery from flat to full in two hours, you will lose water and shorten the battery's life span. It's not such a big deal with a wet cell. You just keep adding water and replace them every season or two. With an Optima (or any AGM), there's no way to add water so you would ruin the battery in short order.
While a wet cell will take that kind of treatment, it's not a good thing. It's different for a service station that needs to boost someone and get them on their way. ... but doing that to the same set of batteries will cut their service life down to an extremely low time period.
Actually, the AGM cell could take high current charging without damage but only for the first portion of the charge. As the battery aproaches full charge, you need to back off the current.

Cheap Thrills
04-10-2006, 08:37 AM
I've been using one of these for years without any issues. I hardly ever have to charge the accy. batteries between trips.
Isolator (http://www.e-marine-inc.com/products/alternators/isolators.html)
C.T. :wink:

Sotally Tober
04-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Well I just ordered the CAE 75 for my charger. Doug at Cascade was very helpful. He did say that it will take 2 weeks to build as I wanted the internal IQ4. I just wanted to get the bigger one if I ever wanted to add a Honda genny. I'll try all the batts first to see about my run times.
TB I thought the Iota/CAE does cut back voltage as the batteries come up to charge. Doug stated that Optima is actually one of his clients that buys his products for displays.