PDA

View Full Version : Prop selection help...

dmontzsta
08-16-2004, 03:09 PM
As some of you know the old Lavey sits with a bent prop, it still runs with no vibration but the prop is slowing the boat down. I talked to a board member who knows alot about my boat and props, he told me to go with a 11"x15" or 11.25"x15" two blade of course. But said to get some more advice about the trailing edge and the different cuts, because there is more to props than just pitch and diameter. Can anyone recommend a prop cut/edge? that would work well? Right now the boat has a mild built 390 FE but this winter, or as soon as the cash is available it will be getting a 390 stroked to a 445ci or 449ci (depending what bore size I go with) estimated 500hp + an additional 125 shot of nitrous, I would estimate 500hp all motor or 600hp w/ spray (turn key on pump gas). I would like to get the boat into the mid-high 80s, without hurting the hole shot. As far as I know the gear is a 18% it is the original top loader that came with the boat. I will be looking more into the box to find out exactly what gear it is before buying a prop. I would like to keep it around 18-20% I am not going for a speed record, just a fun lake toy.
Thanks for reading and for any help you can provide.

mickeyfinn
08-16-2004, 03:25 PM
80's shouldn't be a problem for the new engine. May not get there with your current setup. Sounds like you need something in the 11 x 16 maybe even a 17 if you are spraying. Of course you can't get something for nothing so to get the most of the top end you have to give up some hole shot. If you want the nitrous to give you more top end you may want to consider 2 props $$$. For the nitrous to give you more on top you need to have the boat overpropped so that you can spin it up to full RPM's where you wouldn't be able to without the nitrous. For the blistering hole shot stick with a good 3 blade maybe an 11 x 15.

dmontzsta
08-16-2004, 06:55 PM
80's shouldn't be a problem for the new engine. May not get there with your current setup. Sounds like you need something in the 11 x 16 maybe even a 17 if you are spraying. Of course you can't get something for nothing so to get the most of the top end you have to give up some hole shot. If you want the nitrous to give you more top end you may want to consider 2 props $$$. For the nitrous to give you more on top you need to have the boat overpropped so that you can spin it up to full RPM's where you wouldn't be able to without the nitrous. For the blistering hole shot stick with a good 3 blade maybe an 11 x 15.
Thanks for the info Mickey. Do you think 17 would be too much prop? and hurt the low end? I would like to hit 85mph QUICK ASAP! ya know! :) Do you know anything about prop cups? leading edge? or trailing edge? who is the prop master that can help me select the perfect prop? I dont know about buying two props, I really dont want to switch, I want to turn the key and have fun. :)

ColeTR1
08-17-2004, 07:40 AM
Call RBprops here is a link to the web site RBprops.com (http://www.rbprops.com/rr_special.html). Don't go over a 15 pich on you boat! Ask RB about the 11 1/2 x 15 river racer prop. Ron Braaksma (Madness) TFH purchased the late Tom Black's company "Precision Propeller".
{ RIVER RACER SPECIAL FLAT BOTTOM }
The ultimate Propeller for weekend hot rodding!
These props are manufactured to the same high standard, quality, and heat treating specs as their Drag Race counterparts, but with the River Rats budget in mind.
$449.95 Available in all sizes from 11" - 12"

ACCEPTENCE
08-17-2004, 08:24 AM
Give Dallas a call.
He's a nice guy and will be happy to help you out. He's been hand building props since the start of time. He knows his stuff. If he's not busy you'll learn alot just talking to him.
MENKENS RACING PROPELLERS INC.
(602) 278-0908
I posted a pic of a the two brand new props I just picked up for my deal but have no idea where the pic is now. They are what your looking for.

dmontzsta
08-17-2004, 10:46 AM
Here is a noob question, how do I find out if I have a Left or Right hand prop? the current prop is worn down to nothing, I can barely make out the pitch.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-17-2004, 11:24 AM
Just look at it, if you still cant figure it out... :idea: take the boat down to the lake and get up to about 35 mph, then, (wearing a diving mask) lean over the side of the boat and stick your head in the water and see which way its turning. :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
You'll probably see it turning left hand especially if your distributor, timing cover, vibration damper and water pump are all at the back of your boat. :hammerhea
Jerry :devil: :D :D

v-drive
08-17-2004, 11:36 AM
Just look at it, if you still cant figure it out... :idea: take the boat down to the lake and get up to about 35 mph, then, (wearing a diving) mask lean over the side of the boat and stick your head in the water and see which way its turning. :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
You'll probably see it turning left hand especially if your distributor, timing cover, vibration damper and water pump are all at the back of your boat. :hammerhea
You're bad, but I'm laughin :wink: biggrin: v-drive

dmontzsta
08-17-2004, 12:27 PM
Just look at it, if you still cant figure it out... :idea: take the boat down to the lake and get up to about 35 mph, then, (wearing a diving mask) lean over the side of the boat and stick your head in the water and see which way its turning. :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
I will do that, but I will wear a snorkle as well cause it will take me a bit of time under there staring at it.
Or, I could put it in gear and spin it dry really quick.
:cool:

dmontzsta
08-17-2004, 01:34 PM
Ok, I had my GF press the start button really quick and I stood behind and looking at the prop from the rear of the boat, it spins counter-clockwise, does that mean left hand prop? or do you go by looking at it from the front? I looked really close and could make out the prop that is on there it is a 12x17 the previous owner had a blown BBC in it, but put back the original FE before selling it.

v-drive
08-17-2004, 01:44 PM
Your spinning left my friend. as far as the pitch is concerned call Tom at menkins. but to me 17 seems like alot......later........v-drive

dmontzsta
08-17-2004, 01:53 PM
Your spinning left my friend. as far as the pitch is concerned call Tom at menkins. but to me 17 seems like alot......later........v-drive
Are you spinning left too? cause we should be the same.

ColeTR1
08-17-2004, 02:03 PM
12x17 :2purples: :2purples: does the motor go past 5000 rpm's?

dmontzsta
08-17-2004, 02:26 PM
12x17 :2purples: :2purples: does the motor go past 5000 rpm's?
yeah, it actually spins 6400. :D but it takes some time doing it. It has always come out of the hole Sloooooooow and seems like it never reaches a top speed, it always seemed to pull and pull and pull and pull.

v-drive
08-17-2004, 02:30 PM
Are you spinning left too? cause we should be the same.
Si. but we are not the same as I have hair. I will stick with the 11 1/2 15
3 blade prop as I really like the launch. :D v-drive

dmontzsta
08-17-2004, 03:06 PM
I micd the shaft and it is 1 1/8" does that sound right?

ColeTR1
08-17-2004, 03:53 PM
I micd the shaft and it is 1 1/8" does that sound right?
That sounds big most flaties have 1". What gears are in the v-drive?

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-17-2004, 03:57 PM
D, what are the cylinder head casting numbers on your tub? Look between the center spark plugs. It should say 60-90 D4V-G or something like that.
Jerry

v-drive
08-17-2004, 04:33 PM
Ok, my father in law goes back to the 50's with his v-drive experiance. His thought on a 17 pitch prop for my olds was that it was to much to push through the water and would in fact slow the boat down. does that sound like what's happening to D? I'm just fishin here because i'm in the market for a new prop to. I have a worn 12" 15 P on my lavey and it really launches. My dislike is the foot throttle,how in the hell do you regulate the thing..v-drive

dmontzsta
08-17-2004, 04:53 PM
That sounds big most flaties have 1". What gears are in the v-drive?
18%
:eek: yeah...it does come out of the hole slow.

dmontzsta
08-17-2004, 04:54 PM
D, what are the cylinder head casting numbers on your tub? Look between the center spark plugs. It should say 60-90 D4V-G or something like that.
Jerry
I will have to check, I am pretty sure it is out of a T-Bird. I checked before and cross referenced it with my Ford book.

v-drive
08-17-2004, 05:30 PM
I was going to offer my 12" 15 p 2 blade but my shaft is a 1"
v-drive

v-drive
08-17-2004, 05:39 PM
Hey D,go on ebay and into propellers. your going to look for Ron Hill propellers. I have talked to him (e-mail)the last few days and he seems pretty reasonable :rollside: v-drive

mickeyfinn
08-17-2004, 05:59 PM
How much for the 12 15 two blade?

v-drive
08-17-2004, 06:34 PM
How much for the 12 15 two blade?
Sorry ,I meant for him to try I'm going to hang onto it...v-drive

dmontzsta
08-17-2004, 06:43 PM
I need to make sure it is a 1 1/8" I need to get another dial caliper to back it up. People I talk to say that doesnt sound right. You can definately tell the previous owner was pushing big power with the blown bbc 18 gears with a 12x17 prop, it is too much for this 390. I am glad I beant the prop, time to updgrade.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-17-2004, 06:46 PM
My dislike is the foot throttle,how in the hell do you regulate the thing..v-drive
I would agree with your father in law. I think D has too much gear for the power he has. What has me confused is...what are you trying to regulate??
JG

dmontzsta
08-17-2004, 06:51 PM
I would agree with your father in law. I think D has too much gear for the power he has. What has me confused is...what are you trying to regulate??
JG
Do you think the 18% gear with a 11, 11.25 or 11.50 x 15 would work well?
Also, did you get my PM about the color scheming?
I mailed out the check today, it was sitting in my chair when I got to work, my fault, I knew if you hadnt gotten it by now it was still there.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-17-2004, 06:58 PM
I thought I returned your pm :confused:

dmontzsta
08-17-2004, 07:10 PM
I thought I returned your pm :confused:
never got it! :confused:

v-drive
08-17-2004, 07:32 PM
I have a hard time keeping it steady....v-drive

Kim Hanson
08-17-2004, 07:44 PM
11 X 16, 2 blade and it works great for a POS........( . )( . )....... :smile:

GofastRacer
08-17-2004, 07:51 PM
I have a hard time keeping it steady....v-drive
Check the ratio between the the pedal and the carb it should be even, you're opening the carb too quick!...

ACCEPTENCE
08-17-2004, 09:17 PM
Jerry, your brutal but funny.
Maybe I could be underwater on scuba and he could drive right over me and I'll take a video of which way it's turning.
D, post a picture of it and you'll get the answer for sure.
Cheers boys...

ColeTR1
08-18-2004, 08:39 AM
Do you think the 18% gear with a 11, 11.25 or 11.50 x 15
11.5 x 15 is what you need!! it will work great with the 18 gears. You will get more RPS and it will kick "A$$" out of the hole.

dmontzsta
08-18-2004, 10:31 AM
11.5 x 15 is what you need!! it will work great with the 18 gears. You will get more RPS and it will kick "A$$" out of the hole.
I found someone with a 11.75"x15 he said he could shave it down. I am ready to snap it up! I cant wait to feel the difference compared to my STEEEEEEL 12x17
:supp:

v-drive
08-18-2004, 04:55 PM
D, who are you getting the prop from? :cool: vdrive

dmontzsta
08-18-2004, 05:18 PM
D, who are you getting the prop from? :cool: vdrive
Ron Miller? the ebay guy.

v-drive
08-18-2004, 05:31 PM
He seems like a decent guy don't you think. did you ever re measure your shaft. What size is it.........v-drive

V-DRIVE VIDEO
08-18-2004, 05:40 PM
:idea: Isn't Ron Miller the Ford Power Parts guy? Maybe a different Ron Miller. :confused:

ColeTR1
08-18-2004, 05:44 PM
Ron Miller? the ebay guy.
Dude don’t bye used stuff when it comes to safety. If you do and something fails like losing an ear on a prop it could cost you big time. Like getting hurt or worse!
:eek:

kipperps28
08-18-2004, 05:52 PM
Get in touch with Ron Hill. His props are awesome and he is super easy to deal with. He will take the time to talk to you (he preferrs e mail, at least with me...) He can work on your current club, too- maybe tune it up and fix the blade.

v-drive
08-18-2004, 06:01 PM
It is Ron Hill. I didn't notice that. I don't believe this prop is used
and I only talked to him about the one I want....v-drive

ColeTR1
08-18-2004, 06:36 PM
Get in touch with Ron Hill.
I went to Hill first and they told me they don't work on V-drive props anymore. So I would call first! That's how I found RBProps

dmontzsta
08-18-2004, 07:07 PM
He seems like a decent guy don't you think. did you ever re measure your shaft. What size is it.........v-drive
yeah, the shaft tapers to 1" at the end.

dmontzsta
08-18-2004, 07:08 PM
:idea: Isn't Ron Miller the Ford Power Parts guy? Maybe a different Ron Miller. :confused:
If it is the same guy, then I need to talk some Ford stuff with him.

dmontzsta
08-18-2004, 07:09 PM
Dude don’t bye used stuff when it comes to safety. If you do and something fails like losing an ear on a prop it could cost you big time. Like getting hurt or worse!
I am not a prop pro, but what could go wrong?
I mean the prop on my boat now has been used for 20+ years. I am not talking negative, just openening a conversation, I know how things come across the internet when reading.

dmontzsta
08-18-2004, 07:10 PM
Get in touch with Ron Hill. His props are awesome and he is super easy to deal with. He will take the time to talk to you (he preferrs e mail, at least with me...) He can work on your current club, too- maybe tune it up and fix the blade.
I think that is who it is, Ron Hill the ebay guy. He said he has been working on props since 1969. I might save some cash and have him tune up my current prop if it is a big difference.

v-drive
08-18-2004, 07:23 PM
Cole
When I talked with him (as late as Monday) he was very helpful.
I wonder if you talked with his son? :idea: v-drive

dmontzsta
08-18-2004, 08:35 PM
The guy I have been talking to is Ron Hill. His website is http://hillmarine.com/ he just sent me this link to check out http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66071&perpage=15&pagenumber=1 check these pictures... my prop looks good!

v-drive
08-19-2004, 10:48 AM
Just got off of the phone with Chad Hill. Nice guy and was willing to go out of his way to help me out. I'm meeting him today to buy a prop puller.
They seem to be built as good as any I have seen. Oboy another toy.
:D v-drive

dmontzsta
08-19-2004, 11:04 AM
Just got off of the phone with Chad Hill. Nice guy and was willing to go out of his way to help me out. I'm meeting him today to buy a prop puller.
They seem to be built as good as any I have seen. Oboy another toy.
Check your PM BIG BEN! :)

v-drive
08-20-2004, 12:55 PM
I just picked up my prop puller from Chad Hill. $59.00. You don't get anything for that and this is a piece of art. I suggest that if you are contemplating buying one you give Chad the opportunity to sell you his.

dmontzsta
08-20-2004, 03:18 PM
I just picked up my prop puller from Chad Hill. $59.00. You don't get anything for that and this is a piece of art. I suggest that if you are contemplating buying one you give Chad the opportunity to sell you his.
Most definately, thanks for the heads up, I will be visiting him soon.

ColeTR1
08-20-2004, 04:44 PM
Cole
When I talked with him (as late as Monday) he was very helpful.
I wonder if you talked with his son? :idea: v-drive
I went into Hill Propellers about three months ago looking to bye a new prop for my Cole runner bottom. I first talked to an older guy in the front office. I told him that I would like to buy a new prop for my flat bottom. He then asked a guy from the back of the shop to come up to the front office. I showed him two props my old Steeling and a Precision prop that I borrowed from a friend. I told him I wanted to bye a new prop just like the Precision prop. Both guys where right there and the guy from the back Said (We Don’t Sell High Performance V-Drive Props Anymore.) So I then asked him if he could tune up my old Steeling prop. The younger Guy from the back then said (We Don’t Work On High Performance V-Drive Props Anymore To Much Liability. We Just Don’t Want The Liability Of Working Or Selling High Performance V-Drive Props.) Then he told me that RBprops had the molds for the Precision Prop that I was looking for and to call them. The guys at Hill where nice and helpfull. :rollside:

dmontzsta
08-20-2004, 04:50 PM
I went into Hill Propellers about three months ago looking to bye a new prop for my Cole runner bottom. I first talked to an older guy in the front office. I told him that I would like to buy a new prop for my flat bottom. He then asked a guy from the back of the shop to come up to the front office. I showed him two props my old Steeling and a Precision prop that I borrowed from a friend. I told him I wanted to bye a new prop just like the Precision prop. Both guys where right there and the guy from the back Said (We Don’t Sell High Performance V-Drive Props Anymore.) So I then asked him if he could tune up my old Steeling prop. The younger Guy from the back then said (We Don’t Work On High Performance V-Drive Props Anymore To Much Liability. We Just Don’t Want The Liability Of Working Or Selling High Performance V-Drive Props.) Then he told me that RBprops had the molds for the Precision Prop that I was looking for and to call them. The guys at Hill where nice and helpfull. :rollside:
I can actually confirm this with my conversation I had with Ron Baaksma. He said he used to refer all the i/o drives and whackers to Ron Hill, cause he said "he is the best at that stuff" Ron Hill has told me this as well. Ron Baaksma said Ron Hill used to refer all the V Drivers to him as a favor, like they trade, but most recently he has stopped getting those referalls cause I think Ron Hill is selling V Drivers props directly now. I am going to visit Ron Baaksma tommorrow morning and having him re-tune my precision, since he knows all about them and he is close.

v-drive
08-21-2004, 05:25 AM
I can only respond to what I know, i've talked with Ron and Chad on several ocassions now and haven't received any negative feedback at all. I am also dropping my prop off today with Chad. I will say that I don't believe they have a shop any longer. I think that they have gone the way of the internet and that's ok it's just seems silly for me to mail something or wait for something when we live minutes apart and they both cknowledge this.
Hey if they do bad work I'll flame them but for now they get my money and D you should go back to precision like we talked. The friend of a friend I was talking about uses him and has nothing but great stuff to say. Later dudes i'm gonna go use my new prop puller. :cool: v-drive