PDA

View Full Version : Water in oil ........Part 2, Help

C.Fisher
08-17-2004, 03:57 AM
Well after some testing lastnight we are a little stumped:mad: Here is a little history. Stock 454 with B&M supercharger and cmi headers. Oil has got alot of water mixed in.
Pressure tested headers to 20 psi one at a time.........no drop.
Pressure tested entire system, block and headers.......no noticable change.
Pulled oil cooler off, tested it up to 35.......no change.
So we ran compression test, all cyl are at 140.
We are going back tonight to just try to pressure block only. I could only hope that it might be somthing stupid as an intake gasket, but for now this just plain sucks.
Does anyone have any idea's on what or how else you check this.
Here is original thread
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53242
Thanks in advance

cstraub
08-17-2004, 05:47 AM
We had a head scratcher some years ago. She would pressure test okay, but would fill the pan full of water when running. She was leaking out of a water passage in the front of the engine, the large one, past the head gasket and into the lifter valley. This is the weakest area on a BBC for sealing due to the missing head bolt hole. Bowtie and aftermarket blocks now have lugs to put this missing bolt in. With boost you may be moving the heads just enough to move the gasket.

copperrat20
08-17-2004, 07:41 AM
First question - How do you know that it is water? Just because the oil looks like chocolate doesn't mean that it is water. Water and oil separate. The best way to check this is just to drain some in a coffee can or an empty milk jug. Let it settle and see if it separates.
Second question - Mechanical or electrical fuel pump? I ask because on the motor that I built for my hydro I was having similar problems. Come to find out the mechanical fuel pump's diaphram was bad. So when started it poured gas into the engine causing the oil to look like chocolate milkshake. First thought was water. So I poured it into a pan and let it sit. It never separted like when you have water in the oil. So I changed the pump, oil and filter several times and the problem is fixed.
Now I did have a little rust in the valley under the intake. Come to find out I just blew a intake gasket when running the engine under the cooling power of the hose! We all make mistakes and we all learn from them. Hope this helps. :D

C.Fisher
08-17-2004, 07:49 AM
Copperrat20
We use a Brad Penn 20-50 partiall syn oil. It is emerald green to start and after bout an hour of use the oil is now like a light green and foamy. Also the dipstick reads +1 qt. The fuel pump is mechanical and is bolted to the external water pump.
Thanks for the replys.

copperrat20
08-17-2004, 07:57 AM
What type of cam and how much boost? Does it have a real lopie idle? Water injected headers? See where I am going with this?

C.Fisher
08-17-2004, 09:46 AM
It is a stock 454 with blower only pushing 5 psi max. I dont think it is water reversion because i would think the other engine would do it.
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421538159/0.jpg

chriscraftstinger222
08-17-2004, 11:48 AM
I had water in my oil a few months back and beat myself up trying to figure out what happened as the engine was a freshly rebuilt sbc with less than 50 hours. I tore the top end apart without running any tests thinking it was a head gasket for sure. As it came apart intake gaskets and head gaskets looked good so the heads went off to be magged and came back with a clean bill of health. I inspected the valley for cracks and found nothing. The only thing that seemed fishy was the lack of thread sealent on the head bolts. So as the summer weekends started to pass me by, I bit the bullet and buttoned the engine back up with a new intake manifold, head gaskets, intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets, riser gaskets, ARP headbolts, and used lots of thread sealent on those headbolts. I have taken it out three times and so far no sign of water in my oil. I will be taking it out again tomorrow with a full load and for a full day of fun and am hoping for the best. Bottom line, do everything you can to find out why this has happened. There is nothing worse than second guessing the reliability of your boat everytime you take it out.

tbanzer
08-17-2004, 07:45 PM
I had a similiar problem and it turned out to be a cracked block in the underside of the lifter valley and it was only seen with the camshaft removed. No visable cracks anywhere else.

dego red
08-19-2004, 12:31 AM
Are your exhaust parts warm when you test them? It may be a small crack that expands when the manifolds or elbows get hot. red

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-19-2004, 02:21 AM
check your fuel!!!!!!!!!! I had the same problem last year and I just found out that my tanks were full of water :sqeyes: :sqeyes: :sqeyes: