PDA

View Full Version : When purchasing a new boat...

Roxysnow
08-17-2004, 08:40 AM
When purchasing a new boat, Is it similar to buying a new car? Do you negociate a price or do you typically go off the price sheet? If there is negociations, how much play or % they'll come down? :confused:

Todd969
08-17-2004, 08:43 AM
NEGOTIATE, never never pay sugg list or Manufacture sugg price. If they want to sell it they'll work with you.

Dave C
08-17-2004, 08:52 AM
everything is negotiable.
so go get em!

Steamin' Rice
08-17-2004, 09:29 AM
Figure out what you want to pay and negotiate for it. If you are buying a boat when the builder is slow (Oct-Nov), you should be able to get a bettter deal.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-17-2004, 09:47 AM
Some builders negotiate heavily and others don't negotiate at all. Depends on who you go with. I had one builder price out a boat for me and it had over $7k in options, the builder said if I would give them a $500 deposit that day the options would be thrown in for free.

Boat Loan Guy
08-17-2004, 09:57 AM
If you can wait untill the winter months you can negotiate a deal much better.
Good luck.

1978 Rogers
08-17-2004, 10:01 AM
It also depend on how high of a demand the boat you want is in. A boat on the lot will go for less than a boat that needs to be custom built. Good luck.

jbtrailerjim
08-17-2004, 10:21 AM
I think it depends on the builder and/or the salesperson. I like to negotiate. When I was shopping towards the end of last summer I got the feeling that some builders were not really into negotiating. They kind of said here's the price and here's how much the options are. I definitely think the the time of year and how much of a backlog they have makes a big difference on how much they are willing to negotiate.

Roxysnow
08-17-2004, 10:23 AM
I think it depends on the builder and/or the salesperson. I like to negotiate. When I was shopping towards the end of last summer I got the feeling that some builders were not really into negotiating. They kind of said here's the price and here's how much the options are. I definitely think the the time of year and how much of a backlog they have makes a big difference on how much they are willing to negotiate.
I kinda got the same feeling while shopping this year for a boat.

NashvilleBound
08-17-2004, 10:31 AM
Everything in life is nagoti :argue: able!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stealth Marine
08-17-2004, 10:38 AM
When purchasing a new boat, Is it similar to buying a new car? Do you negociate a price or do you typically go off the price sheet? If there is negociations, how much play or % they'll come down? :confused:
Most of the major brand name boats have a substancial "cushion" built into the MSRP that allows the salesman to "deal" with the customer. Never be afraid to ask for a discount. In most cases you will get it.
If your patient and willing to play the game a bit, you can really make out like a bandit by placing your order in early winter. The normal sales cycle runs from Late March through September and then slows down in fall and all but stops in december. So if your patient and use everything to your advantage, place your order just after Thanksgiving or in early December to maximize your discount.

OGShocker
08-17-2004, 10:48 AM
NEGOTIATE, never never pay sugg list or Manufacture sugg price. If they want to sell it they'll work with you.
Never? :supp: