PDA

View Full Version : E-model berkley buildup

AngryJosh
08-17-2004, 01:09 PM
I'm getting ready to build my e-model berkley. I have a stock 460 bbf. I want to go as far as I can with the GOOD stuff, but dont want to overbuild the pump for the motor.
I will play with horsepower next year!!
I have a diverter, and thats it.
I want to build an awesome pump, and lets pretend money is no option. What should I do?? The winner gets to see me build the pump and watch me have lots of fun. :eek: Thanks

Jetdriver
08-17-2004, 01:12 PM
Pull the E pump out and put in something else!

BrendellaJet
08-17-2004, 01:38 PM
HAHAHAHAHA...LOL. Yep. Ive heard the E pump isn't really all that bad, just dont try breaking any speed records. The swap to another pump would be a lot of work though-but it could be done. Youd probably have to move the mtot and interior forward though???

roostwear
08-17-2004, 01:55 PM
It's not that bad.... I have a 460 with an "E" in an Advantage 18' open bow, and am just shy of 70 mph. I'm not pumping a ton of HP into it, just trying to match parts to my setup. I just ordered the shoe and ride plate for the E from Duane at High Tech Performance, so hopefully that will give me a couple more MPH. I won't be able to install it until I bring the boat home in a couple weeks, so the first outing will be FC2. I'm sure I'll have to play with the setup more after the install, too. I could get more out of it by adding D0VE heads for 1.5 point compression increase, maybe a set of OTs instead of the logs, but at this point it gets ALOT more expensive to make an E go faster. It's fast enough to blow off a few boats.... even kinda fun doing it with an open bow with a closed engine! :D

AngryJosh
08-17-2004, 02:00 PM
Oh Jeez, I'll start over. I will not change the pump. The E pump is what I'm asking the questions about. I have seen boats with e-pumps that run super hard, so I'm keeping it. This is not a race boat, its more of a toy. I want to know what I should do to get better top speed with lower engine RPM, better all around performance and a huge ass roost. Droop snoot, modify the diverter, change impellers??? What?

ARS Marine inc. east
08-17-2004, 02:27 PM
Put a Loader In it, Ditch that rock Grate.
I have them In stock. Call Me If Intersted
(708)449-0200

Blown 472
08-17-2004, 07:36 PM
Oh Jeez, I'll start over. I will not change the pump. The E pump is what I'm asking the questions about. I have seen boats with e-pumps that run super hard, so I'm keeping it. This is not a race boat, its more of a toy. I want to know what I should do to get better top speed with lower engine RPM, better all around performance and a huge ass roost. Droop snoot, modify the diverter, change impellers??? What?
I have an e pump in my boat with a mpd loader, htp shoe and ride plate, the bowl has been flowed and has a stuffer, the legend b cut imp has been flowed, I had the nozzle machined for a dominator o ring and I have a nozzle reducer. Right now the 8.3 to 1 five cylinder runs 62 mph at 4200 rpm.
If you want a big roost get an alum die grinder bit and go to work on the nozzle stop that has "berkley" cast into it and hog till the jet o vator wont go any more.

roostwear
08-17-2004, 07:38 PM
Without having tested the shoe yet, I can't say for sure, but I would go with the shoe and ride plate first, then a ramp loader. I only picked up 2 mph with the loader, and after looking at it closer, the shoe needs attention more.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-17-2004, 07:51 PM
Awwww come on now. The guys asking for help not torture
:hammerhea
By the way bud, whatcha running and how fast is she??????????
People say that jacuzzi pumps are not good either but I have one neck snapping boat that has a jacuzzi and a 455 olds spinning that baby. I aint flammin' ya, I'm just sayin' cut the brotha some slack;);)

AngryJosh
08-17-2004, 07:57 PM
I have a ride plate already. I'm not sure what its adjusted at?? I'll check this weekend. I'll do the hoggin so the diverter can point higher. But I want to know what impeller you guys would recommend. I've got about 300 hp and can do 60mph on the dot. Thats with a gps. What will give me more mph??
Oh and a bigger roost :D I'm almost sure its got an A impeller now.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-17-2004, 08:01 PM
I'm getting ready to build my e-model berkley. I have a stock 460 bbf. I want to go as far as I can with the GOOD stuff, but dont want to overbuild the pump for the motor.
I will play with horsepower next year!!
I have a diverter, and thats it.
I want to build an awesome pump, and lets pretend money is no option. What should I do?? The winner gets to see me build the pump and watch me have lots of fun. :eek: Thanks
talk to blown472. He just listed all the stuff you can do to your pump. None of those things will hurt you, ok maybe your pocket :eek: but they will all help you in achieving a better running,better launching,better mpg boat. If you nee further advice then call duane @ hi-techperformance.com
He has done some trick shit to "E" pumps an they ran very well.
If everything goes right I should have my "E" pump in the water within the next 2 months. It will be powered by a stout bbc.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-17-2004, 08:08 PM
I have a ride plate already. I'm not sure what its adjusted at?? I'll check this weekend. I'll do the hoggin so the diverter can point higher. But I want to know what impeller you guys would recommend. I've got about 300 hp and can do 60mph on the dot. Thats with a gps. What will give me more mph??
Oh and a bigger roost :D I'm almost sure its got an A impeller now.
If your running 60 with a 300hp motor thats pretty good considering the average speed of a jetboat with a stock motor runs about 50-60mph!
Hogging' on the diverter doesnt make you faster BUT it sure does bring out the BLING factor in your boat. Trust me, more ladies will see you comming;);) What rpm's are you spinning? I would put some $$ in the pump. First thing you can do that a best upgrae for the $ is a loader. They are easy to install and they are cheap.Then upgrade the motor(headers,intake,carb,roller rockers). These are bolt on ponies!!!! You can get about 375hp maybe higher with the right combo. More ponies = more speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blown 472
08-17-2004, 08:09 PM
talk to blown472. He just listed all the stuff you can do to your pump. None of those things will hurt you, ok maybe your pocket :eek: but they will all help you in achieving a better running,better launching,better mpg boat. If you nee further advice then call duane @ hi-techperformance.com
He has done some trick shit to "E" pumps an they ran very well.
If everything goes right I should have my "E" pump in the water within the next 2 months. It will be powered by a stout bbc.
The biggest bang for the least amount spent was the shoe. It gave the boat some lift and freeed it up. I noticed a big change in the way the boat ran after it was installed.

AngryJosh
08-17-2004, 08:47 PM
Right on guys, thanks. I'm doing it all!! Hey, whats an ASSCLOWNTROLL??

BIGAMIST
08-18-2004, 01:00 AM
Awwww come on now. The guys asking for help not torture
:hammerhea
By the way bud, whatcha running and how fast is she??????????
People say that jacuzzi pumps are not good either but I have one neck snapping boat that has a jacuzzi and a 455 olds spinning that baby. I aint flammin' ya, I'm just sayin' cut the brotha some slack;);)
Do you think they might know each-other :idea:

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-18-2004, 03:36 AM
Read this!
http://www.***boat.com/FORUMS/showthread.php?t=40882
Omega

TexasJet
08-18-2004, 03:57 AM
AngryJosh, Omega attached pictures of Duane's work on my boat last winter. I suggest you call a professional pump guy. There are several in your area that are well thought of by people on the boards. I used Duane at Hightech Performance in Kansas, 316-794-8616. Duane, or Brian, are very patient and will answer all your questions. I have been very satisfied with their work on my boat. The problem with asking a question like you did on the boards is pump mods work differently on different boats. What worked great for one guys boat may not work for you. The professional you call has worked on hundreds of boats and can draw from that experience to help you. Hope this helps you and good luck.

ChetCapoli
08-18-2004, 06:45 AM
Without having tested the shoe yet, I can't say for sure, but I would go with the shoe and ride plate first, then a ramp loader. I only picked up 2 mph with the loader, and after looking at it closer, the shoe needs attention more.
Since he has only 300hp, a good rebuild along with the ramp grate for the MONEY($70.00) would be the best bang for the buck(unlike $200 for a shoe kit OUCH!) Why not fabricate a flat piece of aluminum to the dimension of where the shoe would go on that E pump the same thickness as to bring the biting edge level with keel instead? Seems it would do the same thing just like a "E shoe kit" would. Less $175.00 of course. Do one improvement at a time as you'll never know what worked or didnt otherwise.
Hey texasjet...can you say "OUCH" LMAO!!
CHET

Blown 472
08-18-2004, 06:51 AM
Right on guys, thanks. I'm doing it all!! Hey, whats an ASSCLOWNTROLL??
Texas jet makes a good point. The reason I have a flowed bowl is I was sending my bowl to mpd to have the seal area fixed as someone machined the bowl to be closer to the intake and create a stuffer, well the threads on the shaft kept pulling the seal and screwed up where it went into. Long story short ups lost my bowl and jack had a flowed one there he was going to make into a split bowl and since ups was paying for it I got it. The flowed imp makes a big diff in take off, kills a ton of cavitation. The big o ring was done by ars due to me getting sick of spitting out the small o rings, this too was a big help as the boat would loose about 8 mile per hour with no o ring. The nozzle reducer talk to someone about to size it, you will have to have the nozzle machined to take it.
The e pump comes with a ride plate, I got the plate and shoe from htp and like I said before it was the best 200.00 bucks I ever spent on that shit box. Mpd makes a great loader for the e pump but it took some tuning, it was too long at first and I cut some back as the boat would suck down to the water with it being too long.

Blown 472
08-18-2004, 07:03 AM
Since he has only 300hp, a good rebuild along with the ramp grate for the MONEY($70.00) would be the best bang for the buck(unlike $200 for a shoe kit OUCH!) Why not fabricate a flat piece of aluminum to the dimension of where the shoe would go on that E pump the same thickness as to bring the biting edge level with keel instead? Seems it would do the same thing just like a "E shoe kit" would. Less $175.00 of course. Do one improvement at a time as you'll never know what worked or didnt otherwise.
Hey texasjet...can you say "OUCH" LMAO!!
CHET
Chet you are so tight you squeak. sheesh.

ARS Marine inc. east
08-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Chet you are so tight you squeak. sheesh.
You Got that right!
:confused: