PDA

View Full Version : Whats Up With Hot Boat Magazine

Kilrtoy
08-17-2004, 03:01 PM
The new mag test a bunch of cats and NO SHOCKWAVE.
What gives :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

bear down
08-17-2004, 03:08 PM
Which boats did they test??

NorCalCat
08-17-2004, 03:25 PM
Rumor has it, you are looking at Force Offshore, ha? Which one 26 or 29? I love mine!

jbtrailerjim
08-17-2004, 03:32 PM
Which boats did they test??
All cats. If I remember correctly. They tested the Ultra 27 Shadow, Laveycraft 27 Sabre, DCB F29, Advantage 2?, Cobra 26 Venom, Cougar 22, and the Force 29. There might have been more but that's all I remember. I remember one thing though they are all expensive. :eek:

Kilrtoy
08-17-2004, 03:41 PM
Rumor has it, you are looking at Force Offshore, ha? Which one 26 or 29? I love mine!
Rumors get people in trouble....
Rumor also has it I want a girlfriend, but the wife isnt having any part of that....

NorCalCat
08-17-2004, 03:46 PM
Rumor also has it I want a girlfriend, but the wife isnt having any part of that....
LMAO! How true.

eliminatedsprinter
08-17-2004, 03:50 PM
Hot Boat has a ????????

PlyaPlya22
08-17-2004, 03:56 PM
Once you get her that boat :eek: ....you'll probably be able to get a lot of stuff she wasn't having before :idea:

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
08-17-2004, 04:03 PM
I didnt know Shuckwave makes Cats :sleeping:
did I misspell something :confused:

Bre
08-17-2004, 05:11 PM
There was no Eliminator..no Magic.... no Conquest.... no commander...no carrera... no aftershock..... no howard.....
This issue sucked. All the boats have boring stock power packages except the Force... but even then it's pretty mild.
Even the boats with stock power packages...the prices are getting out of control :(

Kilrtoy
08-17-2004, 05:33 PM
This issue sucked. All the boats have boring stock power packages except the Force... but even then it's pretty mild.
A 87 MPH single engine 29"cat , I wouldn't call that mild, by any means

Bre
08-17-2004, 05:36 PM
A 87 MPH single engine 29"cat , I wouldn't call that mild, by any means
I would... but we all have our different opinions. If we ever had the money to step up to a bigger boat... I would make sure it had enough power to at least hit 100. But I like I said just my preference.

Rocky
08-17-2004, 05:48 PM
Maybe the manufactures are getting smart and only running stock power in magazine test boats to help keep insurance cost lower for the consumer. :idea:

Kilrtoy
08-17-2004, 05:54 PM
I would... but we all have our different opinions. If we ever had the money to step up to a bigger boat... I would make sure it had enough power to at least hit 100. But I like I said just my preference.
You better have big bags of loot to go over 100MPH

Bre
08-17-2004, 05:58 PM
You better have big bags of loot to go over 100MPH
Or know the right people.

Bre
08-17-2004, 05:59 PM
Maybe the manufactures are getting smart and only running stock power in magazine test boats to help keep insurance cost lower for the consumer. :idea:
That would be nice if that is what they are really doing. :smile:

bear down
08-17-2004, 06:04 PM
Why is it that ***boat consistently has the same manufacturers tested time and time again? There are a handful that I can think of that rarely ever get tested from ***boat and Powerboat mags. Do the manufacturers pay to get their boats tested? Are the tests requested by the mag or do the manufacturers call the magazine to offer their boat to participate in the tests? Find it kinda strange.

SoCalOffshore
08-17-2004, 07:18 PM
Why is it that ***boat consistently has the same manufacturers tested time and time again? There are a handful that I can think of that rarely ever get tested from ***boat and Powerboat mags. Do the manufacturers pay to get their boats tested? Are the tests requested by the mag or do the manufacturers call the magazine to offer their boat to participate in the tests? Find it kinda strange.
Advertising

jbtrailerjim
08-17-2004, 08:37 PM
After reading some of the article, I think the reasoning behind testing boats with mild power was to show how they all performed with those type of set up's in them. My guess on why they did not have more boat's being tested is they usually break the test up into two issues.
The prices are unreal for new boats with mild engine set up's. The cheapest one they tested was a 22' Cougar with a 496Mag HO and it was $68,000!!! The DCB with twin HP525's was $247,000. :eek: I think I'm gonna just have to be happy with my boat for a while.

Kilrtoy
08-17-2004, 08:40 PM
I wish they would do more test with REGULAR engines.
MOST people, I would say 90% or so buy stock power. Who cares what this boat does with 1000 horsepower, mine will only have 500 as most peoples.
Some builders are rarely ever in the mag and others are almost in EVERYONE

HighRoller
08-17-2004, 08:43 PM
The test might have been performed a while back before the Shockwave cat was fully ready. Didn't it just come out in April?

mbrown2
08-17-2004, 08:45 PM
I would not consider a 29' with twin HP525's running over 115 boring...that's pretty efficient... :) :wink:

steelcomp
08-17-2004, 08:50 PM
There was no Eliminator..no Magic.... no Conquest.... no commander...no carrera... no aftershock..... no howard.....
Even the boats with stock power packages...the prices are getting out of control :(
Jeez...loosing a little perspective here, arent we...I mean, come on. Ten years ago this was UNHEARD of. It's like complaining about a "slow" microwave! Heh heh! Now the prices, there's a laugh. Only reason they are charging that much is cause of all the baby boomer dot commers that don't have a clue what money is worth, and will pay any amount to get what they want! They've done it to every rec toy industry. They price us working stiffs right out of the ball game. Yeah, I'm jealous all right!!!

boatnam2
08-17-2004, 08:51 PM
i thought the mag was pretty good.maybe shockwave isnt ready to have there cat in there yet.

Kilrtoy
08-17-2004, 08:52 PM
They are moving them out the door quicker than shit....

jbtrailerjim
08-17-2004, 08:54 PM
I would not consider a 29' with twin HP525's running over 115 boring...that's pretty efficient... :) :wink:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I think I would pretty damn happy with that boat and that set up. :cool:

Bre
08-17-2004, 08:55 PM
That was the DCB...not the Force :shift:

boatnam2
08-17-2004, 08:55 PM
thats cool kilr.i would like to hear how they running.seen the new canopy commander cat on teh way to work.kinda funny looking.

mbrown2
08-17-2004, 09:30 PM
That was the DCB...not the Force :shift:
I know, I thought you were referring to all the boats in the mag with the boring comment....I stopped getting bored at 80... ;) :D :chi:

Kilrtoy
08-17-2004, 09:34 PM
thats cool kilr.i would like to hear how they running.seen the new canopy commander cat on teh way to work.kinda funny looking.
You are right, I would like to also read about that. But I guess I will continue to read about the same boat three to four times a year, just different color.
I think they need some new people at HB, to take it to the next level. The vision is getting a little stale and old.....

Kilrtoy
08-17-2004, 09:36 PM
I know, I thought you were referring to all the boats in the mag with the boring comment....I stopped getting bored at 80...
Hey now, my boat hasnt even seen 65MPH.
Ok im lying it has seen 80MPH ON THE TRAILER

mbrown2
08-17-2004, 09:43 PM
I know, I thought you were referring to all the boats in the mag with the boring comment....I stopped getting bored at 80...
Come on man, I thought you were hitting 80 after the through hull exhausts....actually most of the time I am running 70ish with folks in the boat and I am not bored...

Kilrtoy
08-17-2004, 09:47 PM
The thru hull is gone in 05, the boat wont make the noise requirements of 88DB. So it will be slowing down. Maybe i'll just get a new boat with some Wackers

mbrown2
08-17-2004, 09:57 PM
The thru hull is gone in 05, the boat wont make the noise requirements of 88DB. So it will be slowing down. Maybe i'll just get a new boat with some Wackers
Wackers are not a bad idea until they get a real solution to the noise issue as in mufflers that don't take hp and pass...

HighRoller
08-17-2004, 10:36 PM
Are they really going to make that new Merc O/B in a 450HP version? If so, I'd look at outboards really hard.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
08-17-2004, 10:52 PM
Not as funny looking as the elimator vee bottom

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
08-17-2004, 10:54 PM
you mean 50 LMAO I may get a tritoon with a 496HO you better watch my wake then

Craig
08-18-2004, 04:24 AM
Did I miss it or what? Every other boat had actual radar or GPS runs, two driver's impressions and what the builder expected the boat to run. Why was this left out on the DCB? Not trying to stir anything, I love that boat, just noticed it missing :confused:

Huckleberry
08-18-2004, 04:25 AM
Advertising
DING DING DING!!! We have a winner here! I was told MANY times by the owners of Laveycraft that both ***boat and Powerboat mags are advertising generated. If ya want your boat on the cover, you better be taking out full page ads every month.
If you think that good performance reviews cannot be bought, you're naive. I personally witnessed a conversation between a "major boating magazine" editor-in-chief and one of the owners of Laveycraft at the L.A. Show, just after their 2750 was dished during a review. After a very "interseting" exchange, Laveycraft was told "We'll make it right..." Lo and behold there was a review of their 2750 race boat a month or so back saying it was all good! Hmmmm. :rolleyes: Needless to say, I'm glad I did my homework before sinking big bucks into a 2750.

MagicMtnDan
08-18-2004, 05:49 AM
Shockwave must be selling their cats like lake lice :rollside: - they don't even mention the cat in their magazine ads.

NashvilleBound
08-18-2004, 05:53 AM
How long has this issue been out??????

Bre
08-18-2004, 05:57 AM
I know, I thought you were referring to all the boats in the mag with the boring comment....I stopped getting bored at 80... ;) :D :chi:
NO..I just was hoping to see Force with a lil more power.
I was just stating that for the most part. :wink:

Bre
08-18-2004, 05:57 AM
How long has this issue been out??????
We received ours a couple of days ago.

superdave013
08-18-2004, 06:51 AM
What The Hell Are You All Reading About The Cookie Cutter Boats In The Front For?????????????????????????
That Issue Is All About The Flats In The Back!!!!! Real Customs C'mon!!!!

NashvilleBound
08-18-2004, 07:49 AM
Flats??? = BORING, ass kicking, constant maint, fast from point A to B.....did I mention BORING? :hammerhea

jackpunx
08-18-2004, 07:55 AM
No worries.. I talked to her.. she says its ok.. ;)

welk2party
08-18-2004, 08:02 AM
I am liking my boat more and more. A few engine upgrades and I am stoked. Especially since it looks like no one is interested in buying her right now. :rolleyes:

superdave013
08-18-2004, 08:14 AM
Flats??? = BORING, ass kicking, constant maint, fast from point A to B.....did I mention BORING? :hammerhea
Boring?? lol that's pretty funny.

Sandbar Mike
08-18-2004, 08:16 AM
Or know the right people.
or know the right insurance agent :p
my $650 a year is worth 85mph

OutCole'd
08-18-2004, 08:41 AM
It was funny. Last month it was a Deck Boat issue. They tested a bunch and left out the Magic. I guess their small black & white ad was not worthy of a write up.
The mag does suck, but this site is cool.

superdave013
08-18-2004, 08:51 AM
C'Mon guys, they test the boats that show up to be tested. Don't blame ***boat because your fav brand didn't take a boat out to the tests.

Essex502
08-18-2004, 09:05 AM
I was told by one boat builder that Hot Boat invites the various builders but it's up to the builders to bring the model/power they want tested. Not all builders participate - i.e. some choose not to come to the trials. The builder said that each manufacturer was responsible for getting the boat to the test site with their own personnel. This may require several employees and take place usually during the week when the lake is quiet. I'd guess that the builders that don't come can't spare the time or are arrogant enough to not show up or build a good enough boat that they don't need the exposure. Gotta' be one of those options don't it?
Has anyone actually seen a Shockwave cat on the water?
Lastly, actually the comment about the insurance is very astute as I was told by my agent that Foremost is actually coming to come of the test events to find out what the boat really does.
Lastly (again), the reviews may actually take place 3 to 4 months before the actual publication of the rag...ahmmm mag. :D

jbtrailerjim
08-18-2004, 11:18 AM
Has anyone actually seen a Shockwave cat on the water?
:D
Yep, I saw one maybe about a month ago in Havasu. I think it was the one they had on display at the LA Boat Show. It looked good.