PDA

View Full Version : Gear questions?

Kindsvater Flat
08-17-2004, 07:58 PM
Current gear is 19% with 11.5x15 prop. Now with the info I gave Bob (Fiat48) the blower deal and the current motor with be about the same hp. Do I stay with the current gear or go with a bigger one?

Fiat48
08-17-2004, 11:02 PM
Stay with the same gear and prop. That way you'll have a real good comparison of compared power between motors. I suspect when all is said and done you will gear up. But leave it alone to start.

ACCEPTENCE
08-18-2004, 07:14 PM
I'm with Fiat, run it like it is.
If it has to much power for the current gear the rpm meter will be screemin at ya. If that's more rpm then you want to run then step up the gear.
Hopefully it'll slow the motor and speed up the boat. Course at some point you'll slow the motor and slow the boat with to tall a gear.
It's a learning curve, just be careful not to vear off the road.
Cheers...
I thought you were going to check my jacked sig, whats the deal with it???

Lookin for Liquid
08-19-2004, 03:00 PM
You are going to see more horsepower to the propellor at the throttle hit with the blower, hence instant burn, have larger gears available after 1st launch. The larger gears will take horsepower away from the prop so as not to burn as much, but with the larger ratio the prop will be turning faster for more velocity forward. Forget about 5 mph zones!