PDA

View Full Version : Boat Buying Dilemma

Wabash
04-09-2006, 12:43 PM
I know this isn't a skiing or wakeboarding site but I have read lots of posts on here over the last year or so and have found that some of you guys know what your talking about and respect your knowledge...So your opinions would be appreciated here.
I am going to buy a new boat, either a Correct Craft Air Nautique 210 Signature Series with no options except perfect pass, tower and ballast, or for about $15K less I can buy a Sanger V210 with all the options. I am just curious what you guys think of the Sanger compared to the Correct Craft. Would the wood in the Sanger scare any of you off? I am leaning towards the Sanger but really don't know anything about them since I am from IL.
Thanks,
Wabash.

Troubles No More
04-09-2006, 01:30 PM
I know this isn't a skiing or wakeboarding site but I have read lots of posts on here over the last year or so and have found that some of you guys know what your talking about and respect your knowledge...So your opinions would be appreciated here.
I am going to buy a new boat, either a Correct Craft Air Nautique 210 Signature Series with no options except perfect pass, tower and ballast, or for about $15K less I can buy a Sanger V210 with all the options. I am just curious what you guys think of the Sanger compared to the Correct Craft. Would the wood in the Sanger scare any of you off? I am leaning towards the Sanger but really don't know anything about them since I am from IL.
Thanks,
Wabash.
It’s not that you won’t get facts, background information and advise from this forum on ski boats. It’s just not the type of boat they prefer.
If you are serious about slalom skiing, wakeboarding etc..you will have better luck looking for information on three-event boats at the below web sites……..
WakeWorld.com
http://www.wakeworld.com/
or
TheMalibuCrew.com
http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/
or
wakesiderides.com
http://www.wakesiderides.com/
best of luck

MagicMtnDan
04-09-2006, 02:46 PM
We'll really like whatever boat you choose if you put a boatload of hotties in thongs on it and post the pics here :cool:

Neck Check
04-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Actually, there is already a thread on wakeworld.com regarding this same issue, not alot of real information though.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/313060.html?1144195728

Wabash
04-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Ya, I actually saw that thread. I was ready to buy the Correct Craft but then I saw the Sanger. I was looking for people's opinion who might know a little about Sanger's and if they think they are a good boat or not since this sight seems more geared to performance and what not and Sanger used to be a more of a performance builder.
So all you Sanger Veterans, will that Sanger hold up as long as the Correct Craft or not?
Any real first hand knowledge about Sanger, wakeworld is filled with kids who don't own boats but are the first to repeat what the latest magazine says.
Thanks again,
Wabash

Koz
04-09-2006, 05:37 PM
I currently own a Sanger, not a wakeboard boat, but an older tunnel hull. They make great boats. Hand made one at a time. Every thing is A+ in my opnion. I think the only knock on them is that there graphics aren't very flashy. But I think thats changing.

BadKachina
04-09-2006, 05:53 PM
I just did some work on a 210 Sanger last week. The boat seemed really solid to me. Decent rigging, tons of storage and alot of fiberglass for the seats, storage areas. I didn't notice any unfinished wood or cut corners anywhere. I wouldn't have any problem buying that boat if I was into them. The owners brother has the 215 Sanger with enough fat sacks to add about 1k pounds to it. He says it puts out an unbelievable wake, for what it worth. The perfect pass option seems like a really cool idea too, it keeps your speed even in turns. It came with a pretty basic stereo, maybe you can order one with out any stereo and put something nicer in yourself. I put a couple of JL audio subs, JL Audio amps, Clarion deck with a transom remote, Sirius tuner and 3 sets of Clarion mids in it for him and it turned out really nice.

CBLavey
04-09-2006, 06:29 PM
I owned a Sanger 21TX, (sterndrive) for three years - great boat, solid hull with 16 degrees deadrise at transom. It was much faster and better riding than any other tournament style boat that was available back in 1998. In the long run, I'd guess that the Sanger will be a better investment which will hold more of its value. :)

Riomouse911
04-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Sanger makes a very, very good wake/ski boat, Nautique makes a great wake/ski boat. I have ridden behind almost every make of boat for years and I have found both the Sanger and Nautique boats to be an excellent choice. I have owned two Nautiques, one a '91 closed bow Ski that was 20k new and sold for 14k in 2003 with a ton of hours, and I currently own a '04 210 Team. If you are looking for rock solid performance, reliability and outstanding resale value, go with a Nautique. If you want "more bang for the buck" in a reliable boat that'll do what you ask of it, go with the Sanger. But first and foremost, DEMO THE BOATS and see which one you like best. Nothing worse than a 35-55k purchase you're not happy with.

Neck Check
04-09-2006, 08:26 PM
that's interesting about the rigging, etc. Anyone else here work on boats for a living that can comment on the Sanger?

NuckinFutz
04-09-2006, 09:05 PM
In my opinion, I'd decide how long I wanted to keep it. I would think the resale on the Nautique would be better because of the name. I haven't owned either, but had a Ski Centurion I bought new in 1996 that I sold two years ago. The boat ran and looked like it did when it was new. I believe Sanger would be about the same. I just know the resale on the Centurion wasn't as good as a Nautique would have been.

Outnumbered
04-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Both are excellent boats and I would be happy with either one. You have already narrowed it down to two of the top quality manufacturers so you can't make a wrong decision at this point. But if it were me, I would buy the Sanger and save $15k. Get all the good stuff, a quality boat, and save $15k.

Outnumbered
04-09-2006, 09:08 PM
In my opinion, I'd decide how long I wanted to keep it. I would think the resale on the Nautique would be better because of the name. I haven't owned either, but had a Ski Centurion I bought new in 1996 that I sold two years ago. The boat ran and looked like it did when it was new. I believe Sanger would be about the same. I just know the resale on the Centurion wasn't as good as a Nautique would have been.
I'd have to say Sanger is far above the quality of the Centurion. Just my observation from used ones I have been in and driven.

NuckinFutz
04-09-2006, 09:57 PM
I'd have to say Sanger is far above the quality of the Centurion. Just my observation from used ones I have been in and driven.
I'm not going to get into which is better, Sanger or Centurion, but the fact remains- If it isn't a Nautique, Mastercraft or Malibu, you have a limited resale market.

Riomouse911
04-10-2006, 03:44 AM
And again, since the boats are of similar style etc., take them out side by side and drive them. If one rides, drives, handles or just plain is more to your liking, buy that one. If you're buying through California Correct Craft (Dealer for both Nautiques and Sanger boats) in Norco, then demo'ing at Elsinore shouldn't be an issue at all. And if it's set up on a day I am off from my regular job, tell the salesman (Pete, Mac, or Ron) that Eric said he's willing to run one down to Elsinore with you guys and you can do a "one after the other" demo. (Just have them call me, they've got my #)

Riomouse911
04-10-2006, 03:49 AM
Whoops, cancel the Elsinore demo, I re-read the post (it's almost 5 am here, gettin punchy) and it says you're in Illinois.. either way, take them both for a spin and pick your favorite, you'll be MUCH happier in the long run.

Wabash
04-10-2006, 06:20 AM
Actually, I am originally from IL, I currently live in Fountain Hills, AZ. We just moved here in March. I have test driven and have ridden behind both boats, the Sanger and the Correct Craft. The Sanger is better to drive, while the Correct Craft puts out a better wake. I am told the Sanger can be made to make the a similar wake as the Correct Craft. I plan on owning this boat for a long time, most likely 10-15 years if it holds together so resale isn't an issue at this point. I have looked at all the other manufacturers and am not really interested in anything else, but I'm still having trouble deciding. Both boats seem to have been around forever. I have been told that Sanger has stumbled a few times with boats like the Alley Cat, etc. but I don't know.

Speedin' Ian
04-10-2006, 07:20 AM
I grew up water skiing competitively, so I have skied behind just about every boat out there. Here is my opinion... Top three boats are definately Mastercraft, Nautique and Malibu, all three are built without the use of wood which is a huge bonus. If you are going to keep this boat for 10-15 years I would want a composite boat, A Sanger would probably hold up if you really stay on top of it and make sure it never sits for prolonged times with water in it. My parents own an 86 Mastercraft with over 1200hrs and it is still rock solid with no cracks, I don't think you'll find many mid 80's Sangers, Centurions, Supremes, etc. that have held up that well. The other benefit of going with one of these top three, is the amount of R&D they put into the development of their boats, which results in a better wake. However if you aren't an expert wakeboarder I don't think you'll really notice. Another boat you should look at is Malibu's v-ride, I think they are starting at $39,995.

Wabash
04-10-2006, 12:39 PM
So you think that the non-rotting wood will rot over time? The dealer says everyone elses foam will get wet and disinegrate over time. Also, why does the Sanger ride so much better over rollers and double ups?

Speedin' Ian
04-10-2006, 01:19 PM
It's hard to say with the wood that Sanger uses... to be honest I almost bought a Sanger V210, but somebody bought it before I could get to the guy and give him a deposit, but I also didn't plan on keeping it more than a year, so the wood wasn't a concern to me. I ended up with a Tige 22i, which I'm happy with. I will tell you this I have yet to see an old Mastercraft have any sort of hull failure. I just think the build quality and fit and finish is better with the top three I mentioned. Plus I think that Malibu at 39,995 is hard to beat.

Goodtime$
04-10-2006, 01:23 PM
BOOOOM I HAVE YOUR ANSWER. I just sold my 04 V210 yesterday. I loved the boat just never used it- under 60hrs total.
Sangers ride better for one reason, they are a better built boat. All hand lay up, no chopper gun and no foam. Most wakeboats are built like a shell with foam shot through the hull to add rigidity and strength. Ill take wood anyday.
All i know is that a Sanger will run in any water and bring you home. Take a superair out in the same conditions. My opinion, for the price of a gutted Super Air you can pick up a nicely equiped Sanger V215. V210 bottom, bigger deck.
Do that math- Correct Craft first wakeboat, lots of tradition.
Sanger- been building boats for how long? Semper speed and Marine sells them on this board, talk to some Eliminator guy...
get summ. load up the ballast extras, stereo, board racks, bimini and the 350mag mpi gets the job done.

Goodtime$
04-10-2006, 01:26 PM
The ballast set up in the V210 or V215 is easy. 500 sacks in each rear storage, the stock 700bag in the floor. Lay a big 1k pound bag in the hallway and another smaller bag at the feet of the backseat.
Yah i know lots of weight, gas will suck but the wake will be fun. Shred at over 75feet behind the boat and DOOO THIS.
Take a tour of the Sanger facility in Merced or Fresno, it will answer all your questions. Best of luck and have fun.

Eliminator 4 Life
04-10-2006, 01:28 PM
BOOOOM I HAVE YOUR ANSWER. I just sold my 04 V210 yesterday. I loved the boat just never used it- under 60hrs total.
Sangers ride better for one reason, they are a better built boat. All hand lay up, no chopper gun and no foam. Most wakeboats are built like a shell with foam shot through the hull to add rigidity and strength. Ill take wood anyday.
All i know is that a Sanger will run in any water and bring you home. Take a superair out in the same conditions. My opinion, for the price of a gutted Super Air you can pick up a nicely equiped Sanger V215. V210 bottom, bigger deck.
Do that math- Correct Craft first wakeboat, lots of tradition.
Sanger- been building boats for how long? Semper speed and Marine sells them on this board, talk to some Eliminator guy...
get summ. load up the ballast extras, stereo, board racks, bimini and the 350mag mpi gets the job done.
Thanks goodtimesI have been talking to him trying to see what model he wants and colors.

Speedin' Ian
04-10-2006, 04:48 PM
I believe the Sangers ride better because they are not flat bottoms in the back like most traditional tournament boats... the ride has little to do with the materials used building the boat, and more do with the design of the bottom. The foam injected into the hull also acts like insulator, ride in a new Mastercraft or Malibu, and then ride in a new Sanger... I think you will notice quite a difference. I believe you will be happy with a Sanger, like I said I almost bought one, but I would never compare it to a Mastercraft, Malibu or Nautiqe... their is a reason they are a lot less expensive. Kind of like comparing a Laser (which is a very nice boat) to Skater. When I was at the boat show you could see a big difference in quality, such as how the compartments open and close, how the interior followed the contours of the boat, etc... Is there a reason why you didn't look at the Malibu???
I saw the boat that Eliminator 4 Life put together for the flyin' vees last year and it was a really nice boat, he has been a board member for a long time and seems to give some good deals. If that's the path you choose I'm sure you would be happy with it.

Goodtime$
04-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Im a moron since i dont know anything about wakeboard boats. Ive owned them, ride behind them on a regular basis, helped design the new Epic Wakeboat with 4k lbs of infloor ballast and all composite construction.
The sanger is a killer deal, yah Merc motor over PCM. Ballast is minor and less tech than the Bu's or Nautiques.Basic dash and components.Dont get the blingy feel inside the boat, but you can pay cash for it. They are all ski boats at heart from their hull designs up. Besides the new Xstar, Bu VLX and the Epic I have yet to see anything that isnt a modifyed Vdrive Ski boat.
EL4 will hook u up with a killer deal, My neighbor payed over 60k for his team edition, i ride behind his boat and my old one. I payed cash for my little low tech boat. I was happy and so will you. The V215 is worth stepping up too just for the freeboard and interior upgrades. Keep it in California built.

Speedin' Ian
04-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Hey chief I don't recall calling anyone a moron, but being that you work in the industry wouldn't you agree that the way the boat cuts through chop and rollers is more an attribute of the bottom desgin. Weight also plays a factor, but I don't think two identical boats (one made with wood and one made with compsite materials) are going to handle chop all that differently. I have a Tige 22i, the thing is a tank, super wide and super heavy, but it still doesn't handle the chop that well, which is a result of the bottom design.
This guy is asking for opinions, which I am giving him. I'm not discouraging him from buying a Sanger, why are you turning this into a pissing match. I'm not an expert but I have spent the better part of 15 years training, competing behind, and driving all different types of Tournament boats. I skied behind Malibus in the early years when they were built like s#*t. I also skied behind a California Skier at a tournament once when it started sinking and the faulty wiring shocked the judge :) . I think a used Sanger is a good value, because you can get them for a lot less than I comparable Malibu, Mastercraft or Nautique, but if I was going to buy a new boat for over 40k I would at least take a look at the Malibu's entry line boat. Mastercrafts and Nautiques are rediculously expensive, so if money is an issue than look else where.

Eliminator 4 Life
04-10-2006, 08:31 PM
Thanks guys for all the nice words. I wont get into which boat is better I feel it is all preference of what you want and what you like. Like me I love my Eliminators and in my opinon there is nothing that compares to them :)

Riomouse911
04-10-2006, 09:30 PM
It's funny, all these boats are fairly similar in style and performance. Yes, each of the higher end boats (Malibu, M.C., Nautique, Tige' etc) have the little things dialed in, maybe additional technology and additional resin built into the hull design, thicker carpet, extra comfy seats... but hey, when you expect BMW appointments don't expect to pay Scion prices.
Lots of boat makers popped in to take the mid-price market, Centurion Moomba, MB Gekko etc. I have ridden behind them all, and with tweaking any boat can make a great wake. Sanger is (upper) mid-priced, but they aren't poorly made at all; they are excellent boats. As for the ride, I'll be honest; taking ANY ski-wake boat out on Lake Mo-windy on a Saturday afternoon in August is an adventure worthy of a Jules Verne novel, no matter the maker. (Next time I make that mistake, it'll be behind the controls of a big Cigarette or Fountain not a Nautique 210)
Each wake boat has a lot of upside, and most have little downside. Much as I recommend to folks when looking at wakeboards or bindings; ride them all, and buy the one you like best. Yes, price is an issue with 95% of us, and sometimes we must compromise, but buy the one that suits your riding style, wallet, family size etc. and rip with it. All that matters is your happiness! :)