PDA

View Full Version : A question to 7.3 PSD owners w/perf upgrades

Ziggy
08-18-2004, 05:15 PM
What upgrades have you done? I've read all the perfomance improvements but what I'm wondering is if any appreciable or depreciable fuel usage is evident with those upgrades? I've gotten conflicting reports from different people. I'm running 35's on stock motor sofar.
Any real world experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.

mevale
08-18-2004, 07:45 PM
Hey ziggy
I have a 2002 pos 7.3 2-wheel drive crew cab. I have done lots of mod to my truck like
- 6" inch lift with 35's BFG AT
-Supper lift trues speed
-K & N filter
- 4" exhaust from the turbo to the back with a 5" tip
- Supper chip programmer with boost and exhaust gages
- Rear air bags
- Tonneau cover for the bed
All this has gave me lots of performance improvements but no fuel savings that are really nosible.
Now diesel kleen is the shit! It’s an additive that it increases your cetane and cleans your injectors and if you have smoke that takes care of that too. I went form 14 miles to 19 in the city and towing 12 to 16 now that gave me nosible fuel savings to talk about.

Flyinbowtie
08-20-2004, 04:25 PM
Ziggy;
I have a 97 F350 Powerstroke, Crew Cab 4x4 dually. bought it new in 98. Converted it to dually last year when we sold the motorhome and bought a 4200lb slide-in camper.
Behind it, I pull a trailer weighing about 7500 lbs.Total gross is a tad over 21000, so we are heavy, to say the least.
We put a TYMAR open air intake on it, a DieselPerformance 3 position chip in it, a Hypermax 3.5 downpipe, a 4 inch straight pipe exhaust system, and a ATS Waste-gated exhaust side turbo housing on it. Also done lots of trans upgrades..
The truck pulls quite well, and the fuel mileage is about the same, if not a little better than stock when I keep my foot out of it. When pushed, it makes in excess of 33 lbs. of boost at 1900 feet elevation on a warm summer day. It will lite the four michelins out back right up.
The newer trucks respond to tinkering too, the 6.0 is still being figured out in the development and improvement dept. Lotsa good things about 'em, some bad.
The Cummins powered truck run like hell, too. I just prefer Ford Trucks.
I love mine. Wouldn't even consider a different one, at this point.
A great website for the fords is www.thedieselstop.com. I post there as sam8...

Doug H.
08-20-2004, 09:07 PM
I recently bought a 2003 cc psd 6.0 4by4 and it's lifted 8 inches, it only had 15,000 miles on it and got 10-11 mpg on the freeway.
We put the edge juice with monitor on it and i set it up on 3/3 and i now get 14 mpg, this is the only up grade iv'e done and i can't believe the extra power this sum bitch has now, i get 14 mpg towing the boat or empty, it's a big truck with big wheels so im not complaining anymore now.

565edge
08-22-2004, 09:21 PM
I have a 2000 2wd extra cab ford powerstroke f350.6" fabtech with 315's.Ive got the microchips supertuner,tymar filter and magnaflow 4" turbo back.I also disconected the wastegate.Truck runs great.I am on my 2nd tank with diesel kleen.I have heard great things about this product.Diesel is by far the only way to go.

565edge
08-22-2004, 09:22 PM
Hey ziggy
I have a 2002 pos 7.3 2-wheel drive crew cab. I have done lots of mod to my truck like
- 6" inch lift with 35's BFG AT
-Supper lift trues speed
-K & N filter
- 4" exhaust from the turbo to the back with a 5" tip
- Supper chip programmer with boost and exhaust gages
- Rear air bags
- Tonneau cover for the bed
All this has gave me lots of performance improvements but no fuel savings that are really nosible.
Now diesel kleen is the shit! It’s an additive that it increases your cetane and cleans your injectors and if you have smoke that takes care of that too. I went form 14 miles to 19 in the city and towing 12 to 16 now that gave me nosible fuel savings to talk about.
What gears do you run?

Ziggy
08-26-2004, 01:48 PM
Thanks you guys--Soon enough I will make some sort of upgrade, just don't know what just yet.