PDA

View Full Version : 61 Mandella project

hbprnstr
08-18-2004, 07:30 PM
Well I have been reading this board for some time now and have finally got a question for you all. These are some pictures of my father and I's boat that we have had in our familly since it was built. It was built in 58-59 and 60 and hit the water in 61. my uncle race this boat in longbeach circle throught the 60s and 70s under the boat name "MY SIN." anyways my dad got the boat about 12 years ago and about 8 years ago we lost most of the glass on the bottom. we now have it bare hull and all painted removed and are working on getting it ready to re-glass. If anyone has any input on reglassing this boat. or on redueing the wood deck it would be much aprreciated. i know there are a few guys on this board how redue these old wood flats so any info you can lend me would be much appreciated. we have a really good idea on how to do it since my grandfather and his uncle are the ones who glassed it origanally but newer techniques and tips would help. more than the glass its the wood im conserned with re-doing since alot of the nail head are exposed from the putty pooping. thanks for any input you have or can offer in advance.

hbprnstr
08-18-2004, 07:35 PM
how it looks and sits now and some of the problem sections.

hbprnstr
08-18-2004, 07:42 PM
last ones of the damage and how it sits right now.

CircleJerk
08-18-2004, 07:53 PM
Neat project and very worthy. Harlan Orrin is your man in Fallbrook Calif. I will ask him to view this post. He possibly had a hand in building this boat.

hbprnstr
08-18-2004, 08:06 PM
thanks circlejerk, I new there was somone lerking on here that has done one of these or dose them. I cant wait to get it back in the water, it is always one of a kind out on havasu and is fun to drive with the 427 between the stringers.

hyevon
08-19-2004, 12:38 PM
Hey bro, If you want the best job done locally, call MEL"S CUSTOM BOATS in SANTA FE SPRINGS, CA. This guy is the best and reasonable, Ive seen his work with wood decks, and have had personaly worked with him. He just rejelled my boat top and bottom and looks like it just came out of the mold.

summerlove
08-19-2004, 01:27 PM
Neat project and very worthy. Harlan Orrin is your man in Fallbrook Calif. I will ask him to view this post. He possibly had a hand in building this boat.
exactly my thoughts. Harlan's the man for you. Bring it to his house and let him have it for awhile, a long while, but then, it'll be beautiful!

uclahater
08-19-2004, 02:01 PM
Hey bro, If you want the best job done locally, call MEL"S CUSTOM BOATS in SANTA FE SPRINGS, CA. This guy is the best and reasonable, Ive seen his work with wood decks, and have had personaly worked with him. He just rejelled my boat top and bottom and looks like it just came out of the mold.
Mel did some work on my boat , and did a good :rollside: job

hbprnstr
08-19-2004, 06:47 PM
anyone have either of these two guys numbers so that i could call and see what he has to say? Any one else got any good pics of some old wood flats of this same erra. i have yet to see many pics or boats like ours out there.