PDA

View Full Version : What Major? What Job?

XtrmWakeborder
08-18-2004, 09:45 PM
Hey guys i'm probably going to finish up my general education at OCC this semester and want to pick a major that i can put all my effort into and get a good job. I just finished watching my mom go back to school for medical transcriptioning because she knew she was going to be let go from her job of 25 years. She worked hard in school and got good grades in all her classes and is starting her own business "medical transcriptioning" but she works from 8am to 1am with little to no breaks and only makes about 1500 a month "a substantial cut from what she used to." She works so hard and makes so little money. Basically my question is what major should i pick to get into a good job "6 figures in the future" and what would the job be. I look to you guys because boating itself is a luxury and you have made correct choices in the past as far as jobs and savings to get where you are now.
Thanks alot guys,
David

Kilrtoy
08-18-2004, 09:57 PM
It sucks being up there in years and losing your job.
My dad worked for NORDSKOG for 30 years and made really good money. When Bob died they sold the business. My dad was the only one, who was asked to stay with the new owners and keep his pay. He had to move to FLODIA to do this. He quit.
It all depends on your talent.
The only people I see making alot of money with no education or little education are cops, firemen and city trash men. Even laywers are starting at 60K which sucks for having spent 8 years in college.......
Also The docks just opened up., THEY MAKE A KILLING

Scream
08-18-2004, 09:59 PM
Accounting, no real need for a graduate degree, just the cert (CPA) and can start in the mid to high 5's and work your way up quick, tack on an MBA and start climbing the ladder. Wouldn't take long to get to 6 figs...
esle, Law, the world always needs more attorneys..LOL

ratso
08-18-2004, 10:02 PM
OCC...??? Orange County Chopper?

XtrmWakeborder
08-18-2004, 10:07 PM
Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa :smile:

ratso
08-18-2004, 10:09 PM
Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa :smile:
You do realize I was only joking... :D

XtrmWakeborder
08-18-2004, 10:14 PM
I sure was hoping! lol

ratso
08-18-2004, 10:18 PM
Trust me on this...stay away from the boat business...

XtrmWakeborder
08-18-2004, 10:22 PM
LOL from what i hear..sounds like good advice. Any advice on a major?

ratso
08-18-2004, 10:27 PM
Family Law...you can make 6 figures and get laid by a bunch of disgruntled soon to be ex wives...all at the same time.

Kilrtoy
08-18-2004, 10:28 PM
Family Law...you can make 6 figures and get laid by a bunch of disgruntled soon to be ex wives...all at the same time.
There is a reason they are getting divorced, STAB AND STEER CLEAR QUICKLY

XtrmWakeborder
08-18-2004, 10:56 PM
What do you guys think about the field of nano technology? My uncle who is some kind of computor contractor "makes 6 figures" is going back to school to get educated on this says its an up and coming field that you can make lots of money.

bigerich
08-18-2004, 10:59 PM
I think you have to pick a field that you think you might be happy doing, say ten, twenty or thirty years from now. Unless you are willing to have a job you hate? I am a poor person, so what do I know...... But, I am happy.

Kilrtoy
08-18-2004, 11:01 PM
I think you have to pick a field that you think you might be happy doing, say ten, twenty or thirty years from now. Unless you are willing to have a job you hate? I am a poor person, so what do I know...... But, I am happy.
Oh so true, You can make alot of money, but if you are very unhappy at work, IT WONT MATTER.
its better to make less and be HAPPY
never heard or NANO TECH, but who am I

XtrmWakeborder
08-18-2004, 11:08 PM
Hmm i guess theres truth to that, but i'm thinking if im poor im not going to be happy when i play, because i have expensive taste. Hopefully ill have a job i like and get paid alot.

Spotondl
08-18-2004, 11:37 PM
Do NOT look to college to prepare you for a career unless you are interested in becoming a professor and doing research at that level... College is not a preparatory system for specific careers.
Law school and med school are pretty much the closest you will get to a vocational college education. However, med school only prepares you for your residency and it is there that you determine what area of medicine you may want to practice. Law school is more catch as catch can... a lot depends on what law firm hires you and what area of law that particular law firm specializes in.
Vocational school does prepare one for a career in a very specialized field, computers, court reporting, electronics, etc...
I personally graduated from UCLA with a degree in sociology but the jobs available for a BA in Sociology pretty much are restricted to county/city child family services grunt work. One needs a masters or PHD to make some modicum of a living... So, what did I do? Started a computer company. What on earth does computers have to do with sociology??? Absolutely nothing. BUT, college did change the way that I process information and changed the way I think... THAT is the true value of a college education IMO...
Just my .02
Regarding your nano tech question... Nano tech will be HUGE several years from now. I would bet that you need to have an education in several areas, chemistry, biology, anatomy, engineering, electronics, etc... Some REALLY freaky stuff that nano tech...
For those that don't know what nano tech is, it is an area of tech that can make tiny, billionth of an inch, robots on a molecular scale. There are already some of these nano robots developed by IBM and the likes. One sci fi application for nano tech could be millions of tiny robots that could be injected into your bloodstream with specific programming to seek out and destroy specific cancer cells, or rebuild at the molecular level different tissues, say damaged heart tissue or brain tissue.

dc96819
08-19-2004, 04:51 AM
Computer science, A good school will get you in the door,if your good youll
get the money

spectratoad
08-19-2004, 05:30 AM
Be a drug dealer. The high school kids have lots of money by looking at the cars they drive nowdays. :rolleyes:
Above all else don't just get a job that you makes good money at. You have to like your job otherwise it is just not worth it. I am a great example. I don't make very good money but I love being in the military. Chicks dig uniforms, that is how I got my awesome wife. :redface:

dgie
08-19-2004, 05:56 AM
Chicks dig uniforms, that is how I got my awesome wife. :redface:
Hmm not in California unless things changed. One example comes to mind. I was in "Dead Catch" Sorry "Live Bait" A club out there around Seal Beach. Anyways this chick was standing there with a drink in her hand. We started talking, she mentioned she was from San Diego, I mentioned that I lived down there for 5 years. She said oh really what part, I made the mistake of saying Camp Pendleton. Her face literally dropped and she said "Oh you’re in the Military?" I said yea, she said well I see my friend over there, Bye…. :confused: :( :notam: :D

ahhell
08-19-2004, 06:08 AM
do something you like to do, cuz you may end up doing it for a longgggggggggg time, im in the medical field, i wont get rich, but i have fun at work, most of the time, because i like dealing with people :argue: :D

Tremor Therapy
08-19-2004, 06:34 AM
A lot of good advice, but remember one thing "JOB" just-over-broke! Spend the time to find a carreer that you find interesting....not just now, but one you will like in 20 to 30 years (very well said)!
My degree is in Bus Admin, and I've been in Purchasing, Material Management, and now Sales....they all suck! The pay is decent, but I enjoyed the little landscaping business I had 100 times more!
So find what it is you like to do, and put in the effort to make it successful! It will be much more rewarding! :D

Keithb87
08-19-2004, 06:49 AM
For those that don't know what nano tech is, it is an area of tech that can make tiny, billionth of an inch, robots on a molecular scale. There are already some of these nano robots developed by IBM and the likes. One sci fi application for nano tech could be millions of tiny robots that could be injected into your bloodstream with specific programming to seek out and destroy specific cancer cells, or rebuild at the molecular level different tissues, say damaged heart tissue or brain tissue.
Kind of like in Jason X where the little robots fixed Jason ???? :rolleyes:

THOR
08-19-2004, 06:54 AM
Getting advanced degrees doesnt help all that much either. I have my PhD and dont make very much at all in relation to the amount of time I spent in school. But, I do enjoy what I do.
Just in case you were wondering, I have my degrees in Kinesiology and work as a forensic scientist. I also went to OCC. ;)

Stupid Fast
08-19-2004, 07:11 AM
Make sure you like the field you pick. I know alot of people with degrees in whatever that have dead end jobs that have nothing to do with their education. Me? I was stupid and went to the school of hard knocks. I followed what I thought was the money train at the time. I droped out of college to persue the career that I am in now. I love what I do and I really cant complian about the pay. But I worked VERY hard to get where I am. I think if you asked 100 people that make 100K or more a year, Most of them have the same education as alot of people makeing 40-60k a year. It is what you do with it, what risks you are willing to make and understanding that the people that generate the most money for an employer make the most money. Believe it or not that is a very hard concept to grasp. There is NO easy street to makeing alot of money. It takes hard work, a little brains, and alot of determination.

uclahater
08-19-2004, 07:28 AM
I personally graduated from UCLA .
I advise not listening to this man :2purples:
UCLA Huh!!!! Interesting :eek: I've been looking for a fellow V-Driver that graduated from UCLA :eat:

Essex502
08-19-2004, 07:51 AM
A degree is not much more than a "union card" for many positions. It only demonstrates that you showed up and remembered enough to pass the tests. Once you land the job using that union card, it's what you do with what you shoulda' learned that makes you the bucks. The first coupla' years out in industry in that job will teach you more than you ever learned in school. Remember an old saying "Those who can - do, those who can't - teach"! School is great for theory but applying it correctly is much, much more.
Find what you like to do and see if you can make money at it. If you can and the money is enough to support the lifestyle you want then do it. If not then keep looking until the "what you like" aligns with "pays enough".

eliminatedsprinter
08-19-2004, 08:01 AM
You don't go to college so you can make more money. Lot's of college grads wind up broke. You go to college so you can study and work in a field of your choice. You haven't stated any of your intrests here, other than making money, so I can't give any advice. Are you good in math?? If you are, then there are plenty of fields that can make some pretty good cash with the right degree, ie chemical engineering.

prosthogod
08-19-2004, 08:03 AM
I have way too many years of education, and make a decent living. I can tell you I make almost as much in real estate as I do working. My suggestion would be go buy the book "Rich Dad Poor Dad". Save, sell, do whatever it takes to scroung money together to invest. I know if I was doing it full time I'd be making a butt load.Just my .02

summerlove
08-19-2004, 08:05 AM
Accounting, no real need for a graduate degree, just the cert (CPA) and can start in the mid to high 5's and work your way up quick, tack on an MBA and start climbing the ladder. Wouldn't take long to get to 6 figs...
esle, Law, the world always needs more attorneys..LOL
that scream character, he's a smart guy! My wife is a cpa and I can tell you there is money to be made. I do well, but she does better!

Spotondl
08-19-2004, 08:12 AM
I advise not listening to this man :2purples:
UCLA Huh!!!! Interesting :eek: I've been looking for a fellow V-Driver that graduated from UCLA :eat:
Hey, nice meeting you at LBC... Yeah, I am just such a person... V-driver that graduated from UCLA... Actually there are quite a few of us...
I watch with interest when USCHater gets on you but he has been in absentia for quite some time, guess I'll have to represent for him for the time being...

uclahater
08-19-2004, 08:20 AM
Hey, nice meeting you at LBC... Yeah, I am just such a person... V-driver that graduated from UCLA... Actually there are quite a few of us...
I watch with interest when USCHater gets on you but he has been in absentia for quite some time, guess I'll have to represent for him for the time being...
Nice meeting you to :D
I bet you and USC Hater are real close ;) probably best buds :supp:

eliminatedsprinter
08-19-2004, 08:40 AM
that scream character, he's a smart guy! My wife is a cpa and I can tell you there is money to be made. I do well, but she does better!
There's that math thing again... :wink:

MagicMtnDan
08-19-2004, 08:44 AM
You need to study what you like (and can excel at) and target a career that you will like.
If you're a technical person I strongly recommend engineering. The vast majority of the engineers we interview are from another country and they can't be involved in aerospace and defense projects. There aren't enough engineers from the US in the US.
I strongly recommend you browse Monster.com and look for jobs to see which areas are have jobs available. Sure things will change but employers will always seek qualified (educated) people with relevant backgrounds.
I'm in the micro-device (AKA "MEMS") industry and am very familiar with Nano. It has great potential but it's still years away (it's hard enough for people to interface with micro-scale devices - you can imagine what it's like to interface [work with] Nano devices like Buckyballs and nanotubes that are on the molecular scale).
Find an industry that appeals to you and pick up their trade magazines (you can subscribe for free) to see what it's like to work in the industry and find out about the jobs that are available now and what they pay.
If you're into education then study whatever you want. If you're into education and money then study what companies want. You won't be disappointed. Good luck!

Havasu_Dreamin
08-19-2004, 08:53 AM
Echo what others have said, find something you enjoy doing and hopefully it is something that you can make some good money at. I've got a degree in Human Resources Management but I only use it in so far that I work in the IS group for HR. I do no real HR work. Besides, working on the computer side of HR I make more than the HR paperchasers. :)

BoatNut Recruiter
08-19-2004, 09:01 AM
Vocational school does prepare one for a career in a very specialized field, computers, court reporting, electronics, etc...
I'm new to the board....Hello to all.....from my limited reading of posts yesterday, what a cool bunch of people around here..... :cool:
my 2 cents,
I'm the Director of HR for Olympic Boat Centers, and no one in the boating industry can find enough Marine Technicians/Mechanics.
Huge demand for that, and a good one can make 6 figures ......
Cypress College (Long Beach I think?) has a good program.......

Coach
08-19-2004, 11:09 AM
I have not seen the right answer here yet. I just married a great woman who makes the $$$. I am a teacher and love it, you get a ton of time off but without my wifes job we would not have all the toys. There are a lot of ways of making good money but most require a lot of time, especially in the first two years. You need to figure out what you like to do and what your strengths are as a person. I am a PE major and intially was heading towards the Physical Therapy route, but just hated it once I started putting in time at different clinics. I got my teaching credential and my masters at the same time and have not looked back. My wife is a biology major who is now in sales (the bio background helps her job, but most are business majors).

Dave C
08-19-2004, 11:18 AM
Listen closely. I wish someone had given me this advise when I was your age.
YOU CANNOT BECOME RICH WORKING ON A SALARY. There only 3 ways to make real money (6-7 figures +)
1) inheritance
2) gold digger
3) be an entrepeneur and provide something few others can.
If you want to go to college get a "useful" albeit general degree, such as business or engineering. Stay away from useless degrees that will lead to nothing (e.g. liberal arts, film, etc.) Find something that you can tolerate that would be useful in the job market. Degrees are just pieces of paper and don't provide much practical knowledge. Instead you are taught to "think" for yourself.
YOU MUST SPECIALIZE in your field of choice AFTER you graduate (a CPA is a good example). Get into a business you can tolerate and continue your education from there in your field of choice. THEN START YOUR OWN BUSINESS.
Unless you want to become an M.D. or a lawyer, graduate school is a waste of money. Most people prefer professionals in their fields.
You must work hard and use your brain. NO way around that.
Technology is very fickle. if you have the current hot technology, someone will always come out with something new and better.
Generally GOOD salesman make more money than anyone else in the organization!
for those of you who disagree with the entrepeneur part, lets take a occupational poll of those who own boats that cost $200,000 + and you will see what I mean.

Essex502
08-19-2004, 11:31 AM
Stay away from useless degrees that will lead to nothing (e.g. liberal arts, film, etc.)
Tell that to George Lucas. :D

eliminatedsprinter
08-19-2004, 12:11 PM
I have not seen the right answer here yet. I just married a great woman who makes the $$$. I am a teacher and love it, you get a ton of time off but without my wifes job we would not have all the toys. There are a lot of ways of making good money but most require a lot of time, especially in the first two years. You need to figure out what you like to do and what your strengths are as a person. I am a PE major and intially was heading towards the Physical Therapy route, but just hated it once I started putting in time at different clinics. I got my teaching credential and my masters at the same time and have not looked back. My wife is a biology major who is now in sales (the bio background helps her job, but most are business majors).
I'm a therapist with tons of education and we have to live pretty close. However, it is not due to my low pay, but rather to some poor choices. Even with my fairly low pay, I have had my chances to be very well off. I just blew them (bought a boat etc.. ;) ). I've seen plenty of people who had modest paying (but secure) jobs do very well by saving and investing wisely.

Mrs. casean
08-19-2004, 12:49 PM
I am a senior at CSUSM and my major is Human Dev. emphasizing in Childrens Services. I can do a lot w/ that major however the money won't be mad off the bat... most people w/ that major have to continue education in the Masters or Phd as well... amazing how much money is spent on college and how many people tell you "you must go to college in order to make a good living" I call bull shit! Even after spending $1000's of dollars (I am on the 8 year plan) :squiggle: If I chose a career just out of college no one will pull my transcripts or even ask for verification of a degree... that costs money and why would a company do that unless it is medical, cpa ect... type of a company that really should pull that info.. My point is lots of money just to make me $35000 starting after spending almost that much to get the piece of paper behind my name... I know quite a few people who just landed the right position and worked the way up w/o even attempting college. Yes it is a good thing when the position requires it, but I just hope you like what you do after the time and money spent for the small pay... teaching is a good example... gotta love what you do! Which I wanted to do but an OVER school and the money I am giving them and an outta there in May and probably wont' look back for more. I just want a job to pay for our toys and help us live comfortable and give me time w/ my family. Thank god for my husbands job :) Good luck to you in your search!

HavasuDreamin'
08-19-2004, 12:54 PM
Generally GOOD salesman make more money than anyone else in the organization!
This is the truth. If you want to make very good money.........doctor, lawyer, etc. which are very specialized and take lots of years of school. If you end up with a business degree, or any other generic degree, the only way to make good money is in sales..........and there is sales in every industry out there........every one.

Essex502
08-19-2004, 01:22 PM
This is the truth. If you want to make very good money.........doctor, lawyer, etc. which are very specialized and take lots of years of school. If you end up with a business degree, or any other generic degree, the only way to make good money is in sales..........and there is sales in every industry out there........every one.
Not to mention ending up with HUGE student loan debt once you get out of college for those advanced degrees.

Dave C
08-19-2004, 01:23 PM
Lucas epitomizes the true entrepeneur. So does Spielberg and Hanks. Because they own their own property.
How many film students are never heard from again. A lot.
Tell that to George Lucas. :D

Dave C
08-19-2004, 01:43 PM
sales--- your are right. I am privy to the salaries for all employees for over 200 companies. The salespeople can make a lot of $$.... top sales can make $500,000+... but those are rare.
I disagree about the "only way" to make money with generic degree. Most small business owners that I work with don't have specialized degrees, except doctors and lawyers, but make mucho $$$$$.
its all about the entrepreneurial spirit. Most people don't have it. if your a clock puncher, you ain't got it. But those that do can make some serious $. Example, look at the d-row guys. I figure most of those guys are small business owners from what I have read and damn big boats!!!!

Scream
08-19-2004, 02:50 PM
Thanks SL, I actually went to college for several years to become a CPA. Shoulda stuck with it, cause now I'm a turkey plucker... lol
My soon to be x brother in law worked his way up the ladder, became a pricipal in his small firm, watch all the "OG's" retire and bail and now he's doin about as much as GW is...+ equity. Not bad for a 4 year degree and a bit o hard work.

eliminatedsprinter
08-19-2004, 03:38 PM
I am a PE major .
How refreshing to hear the name P.E. again. I am also from one of those last few schools who still had the balls to call it P.E. Of course the school I graduated from later sold out and wussified the name to Kinesiology, but I am proud to have got my B.A. in P.E. (with duel emphases, one in coaching and the other in adapted and therapeutic exercise). :D :cool:

little rowe boat
08-19-2004, 03:49 PM
It sucks being up there in years and losing your job.
My dad worked for NORDSKOG for 30 years and made really good money. When Bob died they sold the business. My dad was the only one, who was asked to stay with the new owners and keep his pay. He had to move to FLODIA to do this. He quit.
It all depends on your talent.
The only people I see making alot of money with no education or little education are cops, firemen and city trash men. Even laywers are starting at 60K which sucks for having spent 8 years in college.......
Also The docks just opened up., THEY MAKE A KILLING
Firemen,Pleeeeeease. :rolleyes:

Chris Winn
08-19-2004, 03:58 PM
Dave C has hit it right,
sales can make a great deal of money, but that is only a good as lthe company backing the salesman and your enjoyment of it. oqning your oqn company is great, but you are seldom your own boss, what i mean by this is that everyone that you service is your employer and they often remind you of this.
i have a small rep firm, and we rep offshore companies in to the US for the semiconductor industry. i work very long hours, and travel 2 weeks out of the month (including many of those trips being oversea's, and that is not fun after your 50th +trip back and forth)
i do love what i do, but i know that i will need to grow my company further (i have 8 people right now) in order to reduce the amount of travel i have to do, and that cuts into my pockets untill they start to pay for themselves and make me money. i will not even start to decribe the cost of taxes and providing benifits to everyone, in this buisness you get to be chief, cook and bottle washer.
i will not complain though, i make a resonable amount of money and own a nice house with little debt, but i have the stress of providing my own future without the support of another income (my wife is a teacher and this will be her last year teaching due to pregancy)
best of luck to you...

surfer2001
08-19-2004, 04:04 PM
Why do all the kids look for money FIRST? You should figure out what you enjoy & go from there. You’ll find if you love what you do, you’ll be much happier in the long run. Human Resources is a good career, that pays well, and you get to help people and protect the company all at the same time. DON’T GET CAUGHT IN A JOB YOU HATE JUST BECAUSE IT PAYS WELL.

TCHB
08-19-2004, 04:26 PM
A buisness degree can help you in many ways as you gain experience in the corporate world. I have worked for large companies all my life and my advice is to get a graduate buisness or law degree it will help you the rest of your life. My wife is a RN and has always been able to work when and where she wants and also makes a good living. I am responsible for a large company with many complicated financial issues, contracts and trying to figure out growth plans which MBA skills help in all of these areas. We start our MBA employees out close to $100K. Good Luck!

XtrmWakeborder
08-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Wow so much good advice from the boards i can't thank all of you guys enough. Well I am good at math "business calc this semester and regular calculus next if my major requires it next semester" so careers in technology, engineering, etc are probably up my alley. I see alot of you seem to say get into the career soon in order to get experience. First, one on my uncles is in school for nano tech so once hes in i'm guessing hell be able to help me out once he gets settled in in a couple years. Also CPA seems to be a big moneymaker, just by chance my other uncle is a CPA who graduated from SDSU, which is where i want to transfer to. What exactly does a CPA do "i know he does my taxes lol, but what else? Do you guys think an internship might be worth the effort with either of them "even though i wont be getting payed?" And which one do you suggest i go for? Also sales is kind of a broad field, what kind of salesman make the big money?
Thanks again guys
David

Dave C
08-19-2004, 05:25 PM
good at math you say: finance, banking(not banking), accounting, engineering.
CPA's work in private practice but also in management. companies tend to hire CPA's from "good" firms into their upper management (with some experience of course) big six + "right work experience" = upper management and big $$.
CPA's also do consulting, mergers, compliance, FP&A, auditing etc. (good $)
Don't rule out the consultant world. If "it" is difficult to understand, thats the beauty of it. If someone NEEDS "it" really badly, they have to pay you to do "it" for them. (thats what I do... "it", don't ask) Almost all companies hire outside consultants.
Do a summer internship but keep the non-paid portion to a minimum (i.e. once) Try to intern in a big, prestigious company. Looks good on the resume.
Sales?... something that you can sell a lot of and has a big commission. ;) its difficult but technology sales are lucrative.
BTW good shark lawyers make TONS of money. But i would feel dirty doing that. but afterall it is $

shueman
08-19-2004, 08:01 PM
Learn a trade....like building something.....a good mechanic is hard to find.....whatever you do, do it yourself, business-wise...