PDA

View Full Version : Place diverter for panther pump?

Clutch
09-11-2001, 08:03 PM
Looking for a used place diverter for my panther pump? help!

Hallett19
09-11-2001, 08:46 PM
isnt that an oxymoron ? I did not know you could use a pd on panthers

Havasu Hangin'
09-11-2001, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Hallett19:
isnt that an oxymoron ? I did not know you could use a pd on panthers
Who you callin' "moron"? http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/confused17.gif
Man, I've been hangin' around here too long...
Panther Jet-O-Vator (http://www.pantherjet.com/Jetovator.html)
http://www.websitemonster.com/images/pimp.gif

gregshoemaker
09-12-2001, 04:51 AM
panther jet drive offers a diverter that works quite well. Also you can cut the nozzle off your panther and weld a Berkeley nozzle hosing and guess what you now can install a Place diverter. Greg Shoemaker

flat broke
09-12-2001, 06:26 AM
No disrespect meant to Greg by posting this, but I only agree with the first half of his statement. The second half regarding cutting the panther nozzle off and adding a Berkley nozzle adapter so you can use the PD may be questionalble.
I have not done the second mod myself so I can't give you a first hand account, but I had Steve at Pather, Andy Dominguez who is a well known Panther guy in SoCal, and a guy at a jet repair shop up in Reseda all tell me that the cut and paste version is bad medicine. When you think about it, it makes a good deal of sense. The exit nozzle on a Panther is around 6"highx5"wide. If you adapt a Berk nozzle, or a PD nozzle you are cutting that down to an orrifice of 3.25" in diameter or something like that. The Panther works on volume not pressure so I think you might have some problems there. The last negative thing I would say about this operation is ADM does em. In my book thats enough said. If you want information on Panther pumps, call them directly at 541-836-7641. Or Andy Dominguez 310-549-3203(this is the guy Jack at MPD refered me to back when I had a Panther). Good luck Clutch, and no offense intended Greg.
Chris

Clutch
09-12-2001, 09:16 AM
Hey Guy's thank you for your input as I'm new to the jet seen, and all I see are Berk. pumps I feel like the ODD man out, as far as parts go but I have no compliants on the panther yet, have to go w/ flatbroke though to go from a 6x5 hole to a 3.5 doesn't work if anyone hears of a unit for sale please buzz me. Ok 1 more ? place diverter/ jetovator what's the difference? don't they do the same thing?

Cas42
09-12-2001, 10:00 PM
Clutch,
Don't feel too odd, there's a few people here that have Panther's and I'm one of them.
Panther has a few things that can be done, problem is most can't be just bolted on. The good thing about them is they come stock with a ride plate and a SS impeller.
First thing to do is give Steve at Panther a call and order yourself a Panther manual, it really comes in handy and gives you a real good understanding of the Panther pumps.

gregshoemaker
09-13-2001, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by flat broke:
No disrespect meant to Greg by posting this, but I only agree with the first half of his statement. The second half regarding cutting the panther nozzle off and adding a Berkley nozzle adapter so you can use the PD may be questionalble.
I have not done the second mod myself so I can't give you a first hand account, but I had Steve at Pather, Andy Dominguez who is a well known Panther guy in SoCal, and a guy at a jet repair shop up in Reseda all tell me that the cut and paste version is bad medicine. When you think about it, it makes a good deal of sense. The exit nozzle on a Panther is around 6"highx5"wide. If you adapt a Berk nozzle, or a PD nozzle you are cutting that down to an orrifice of 3.25" in diameter or something like that. The Panther works on volume not pressure so I think you might have some problems there. The last negative thing I would say about this operation is ADM does em. In my book thats enough said. If you want information on Panther pumps, call them directly at 541-836-7641. Or Andy Dominguez 310-549-3203(this is the guy Jack at MPD refered me to back when I had a Panther). Good luck Clutch, and no offense intended Greg.
Chris

gregshoemaker
09-13-2001, 04:39 AM
Wasn't sure who performed the bowl modification by cutting it have only seen the mod on a couple of boats. Anyone who wnats a diverter on a Panther I always refer them to Dave at Panther. Thanks for the info it makes a lot of sense tome. Greg Shoemaker

Clutch
09-13-2001, 07:08 PM
Hey Cas 42, Where are you from?
And thank you to every one who has responded to my ?'s it's nice to know people are willing to help.I gotta ROOST!!!
Hey Greg
Do You think i could build it myself? I've been a mechanic for 20 yrs.?

Cas42
09-13-2001, 08:38 PM
Clutch,
I'm in No. CA, how about you?
As far as doing a rebuild yourself, I think it would be more of replacing some parts with new. If you housing and impeller are in real good shape, that might be all it needs. I changed the rear bushing, seals and nyliner bushings which I would suggest you do for sure. If you look closely into the rear of the pump, you will see a zerk fitting in the middle of the stator (the thing with the fins). That fitting is supposed to be greased about every 20 to 25 hours, I guessed with mine the former owner had no idea it was there. I thought it best to at least change the bushing and seal and as it turned out, there was plenty of grease and an old but servicable seal. I still felt better knowing it was all new.
The other thing you can do is get a flashlight and look up through the intake grate to see if there is much scaring or pitting in the drive housing. If there is, you can get a special filler from Panther or if it's real bad, you'll need to get a new drive housing.
Anyway, those are just a couple of the things I learned with getting a manual.
If you're in No CA, we'll be having some get togethers that I'll let you know about. We just had one a few weeks ago that was an absolute blast!

Clutch
09-14-2001, 10:36 AM
Hey Cas
I'm in TX in Blanco down by Austin. I have found the grease fitting and grease it every other time I go out, there is also a 90w gear oil case located inside the hull and it's full.Keep the panther purr'in lol.Does yours have a ss imp? or do you have a jet o vator?

flat broke
09-14-2001, 12:51 PM
Clutch,
I'll cut in for Cas cause I've got a second here at work. All Panthers came factory with SS impellers. As for a Jet O Vator, Cas isn't running one currently. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I wasn't sure from your last post if you were questioning if he was running a Jet O Vator in place of a SS impeller. If that was the question they are two different components. If not, please disregard that portion of my message.
Regarding making your own diverter, adapting a Place Diverter is not the way to go. If you wanted to do something on your own, I would attempt to emulate something similar in design to what Panther does. If you want more information on how their diverter works, let me know and I can shoot you a real rough diagram and some explanation. I honestly feel that anyone with mechanical prowess, access to a mill, press, and materials could replicate if not better the Panther design.
Good luck and have fun,
Chris

Cas42
09-14-2001, 09:30 PM
what he said
btw Chris, I never did get that diagram from you (my fault for not asking). Can you shoot it over to me please?

Clutch
09-18-2001, 08:57 AM
Hey Guy's sorry it took me so long to get back to you'll as I had a buddy from Corpus come up and we've been partying for the last few days. Yes I'm interested in seeing the print on the panther jetovator(Flat Broke) my em is clutch 33 @ moment.net. Hope to hear from you soon.