PDA

View Full Version : Insurance companies

NorCalCat
08-19-2004, 02:01 PM
So I have been trying to shop for cheaper insurance for my cat, but no luck. I can't even get anyone to call me back. They take my information and never call back, WTF?
I guess it is a good thing I am already insured, even if I am getting raped. :2purples:

Dave C
08-19-2004, 02:02 PM
suck...
oh sorry. I was trying to finish your sentence in the title.

teeitup
08-19-2004, 02:30 PM
So I have been trying to shop for cheaper insurance for my cat, but no luck. I can't even get anyone to call me back. They take my information and never call back, WTF?
I guess it is a good thing I am already insured, even if I am getting raped. :2purples:
Try Western Marine Insurance (209) 4661513 They did OK on my 28 Daytona, at least their service was prompt and efficent. I believe they are up in your area (Northern CA)

Mrs. Restless22
08-19-2004, 02:37 PM
Where do you live?
I work for AAA in NorCal and can do cats up to certain horsepowers.... :cool:

NorCalCat
08-19-2004, 03:14 PM
Where do you live?
I work for AAA in NorCal and can do cats up to certain horsepowers.... :cool:
I am in Marin County. I am even willing to move my cars and home if the reates are good enough.
Where are you? What is the HP limit? I have a 540 in a 29' cat, but mod V...

don johnson
08-19-2004, 03:14 PM
Merkel Insurance, Marty Richman email at; martin@charterlakes.com
Merkel insure's my 33 Daytona with blown 1050 motors. They have been very responsive to get my money!
Also try Blackadar Insurance 800-292-0092. However, they only insure boats over 30'.

Mrs. Restless22
08-19-2004, 03:18 PM
I am in Marin County. I am even willing to move my cars and home if the reates are good enough.
Where are you? What is the HP limit? I have a 540 in a 29' cat, but mod V...
I am in the Daly City office. I would have to write your home policy with it...but could probably still get you a good rate.
Can you PM or email (shawna_borg@csaa.com) me a pic with details (year, coverage amount) and I can see what I can do for you.

NorCalCat
08-19-2004, 03:21 PM
Merkel Insurance, Marty Richman email at; martin@charterlakes.com
Merkel insure's my 33 Daytona with blown 1050 motors. They have been very responsive to get my money!
Also try Blackadar Insurance 800-292-0092. However, they only insure boats over 30'.
I am with Markel right now. And I am getting :hammer2:

don johnson
08-19-2004, 03:32 PM
The cost of big HP cats is simply painfull.... Markel did not raise my rates this year however.... I guess they were already high enough...

Mrs. Restless22
08-19-2004, 03:38 PM
The cost of big HP cats is simply painfull.... Markel did not raise my rates this year however.... I guess they were already high enough...
I dont know what you consider "big hp" but I recently insured a 2004 25' Daytona for someone on the boards with 425 hp for $434 a year with 1mil liability. I didnt think that was to bad.... :wink:

don johnson
08-19-2004, 03:39 PM
I have twin supercharged 1050 HP motors in my 33 Daytona. 141 MPH top speed.
Will you insure that?

Mrs. Restless22
08-19-2004, 03:42 PM
Will you insure that?
:redface: Nope...sorry :wink:

DogHouse
08-19-2004, 03:47 PM
28 Magic Cat, 750hp???
:)

NorCalCat
08-19-2004, 03:50 PM
Will you insure that?
That's all? Who are you with The Lord? :jawdrop:
That's the Lord of London...

NorCalCat
08-19-2004, 03:51 PM
What is your HP cut off. Farmers is 500 :)

Mike Schmidt
08-19-2004, 03:56 PM
If the HP is low enough farmers will do it. 22' with twin outboards 240 hp each

don johnson
08-19-2004, 03:59 PM
No, I have not had to resort to Lloyds....I am with Markel... And pay thru the nose! It is criminal what they get for insurance. I have no tickets, accidents or claims. Still pay an obscene amount for insurance...
The other big HP option is Ace. However, Markel, Ace and Blackadar were all within a couple hundered dollars of each other.... They have quite a racket going!

Mrs. Restless22
08-19-2004, 04:01 PM
No, I have not had to resort to Lloyds....I am with Markel... And pay thru the nose! It is criminal what they get for insurance. I have no tickets, accidents or claims. Still pay an obscene amount for insurance...
The other big HP option is Ace. However, Markel, Ace and Blackadar were all within a couple hundered dollars of each other.... They have quite a racket going!
Just out of curiousity....if you dont mind sharing...what are they all qouting you??? :idea:

25Elmn8r
08-19-2004, 04:01 PM
I dont know what you consider "big hp" but I recently insured a 2004 25' Daytona for someone on the boards with 425 hp for $434 a year with 1mil liability. I didnt think that was to bad.... :wink:
Are you serious?!!!!! And will you insure me? 25 Daytona with 415HP.

don johnson
08-19-2004, 04:04 PM
$6,300 a year with 3 months lay up. No limitation to area of use. In other words I can use the boat offshore in the ocean.
$1m liability. Agreed value policy.

Dave C
08-19-2004, 04:05 PM
you know that Mrs. Restless is alright in my book!!!! :D :devil:
Norcal give her a call. Wouldn't hurt.
BTW I got a quote from Markel for $2,200/year with a 4 month layup for my 25 and a "stock" 496HO.

Mrs. Restless22
08-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Are you serious?!!!!! And will you insure me? 25 Daytona with 415HP.
IM serious. But I can only insure in NorCal.....

25Elmn8r
08-19-2004, 04:15 PM
Yorba Linda is in NorCal right! ;) That blows!
Do you have a SoCal counter part that will insure cats?

Kilrtoy
08-19-2004, 04:17 PM
So what is everyone paying for their cat insurance and what HP.
425HP is very low ....

Dave C
08-19-2004, 05:09 PM
not if you want insurance its not ;)
425HP is very low ....
hey I resemble that remark. It goes fast enough. Its not about the HP its about the speed. ;)
do you think we can talk MrsR into 500 hp?

Mrs. Restless22
08-19-2004, 05:22 PM
not if you want insurance its not ;)
hey I resemble that remark. It goes fast enough. Its not about the HP its about the speed. ;)
do you think we can talk MrsR into 500 hp?
We can talk about whatever HP you want to...but its gonna cost ya..l :eat: :D

Tom Garcia
08-19-2004, 05:34 PM
Ladies & Gentlemen.
I have a 130 MPH tunnel and a 28 Nordic with 500 efi, I called a company called International Water Safety Foundation, Call 1888-346-4673 and use this code 13053A. As part of your policy you have free Boat towing and all kinds of cool stuff. My friend is a Insurance agent and turned me onto them. they were much cheaper than progressive. TOMMY GEE!!!!!

Dave C
08-19-2004, 05:40 PM
can I remit in pasties and beer?
We can talk about whatever HP you want to...but its gonna cost ya..l :eat: :D

Huckleberry
08-19-2004, 05:55 PM
Call Bob Luellen at Worldwide Marine Insurance Co. Thay have a new cat insurance policy program that is the bomb. I saved about HALF the price per year with them over Blacakder, Markel and Ace. Bob and his crew are first rate. He's the one who also puts on the Smoke on the Water poker run for charity every year. His number is (800)339-1235.

Kilrtoy
08-19-2004, 05:55 PM
Ladies & Gentlemen.
I have a 130 MPH tunnel and a 28 Nordic with 500 efi, I called a company called International Water Safety Foundation, Call 1888-346-4673 and use this code 13053A. As part of your policy you have free Boat towing and all kinds of cool stuff. My friend is a Insurance agent and turned me onto them. they were much cheaper than progressive. TOMMY GEE!!!!!
So what are you paying :confused:

Bling Bling
08-19-2004, 10:10 PM
Don't even get me started on this bullshit, prices for most performance cats are a joke. Every once in a while you find someone with the right price. I used Shawn Wilson at the Summer group. He helped me out huge. If you need his # let me know.

don johnson
08-20-2004, 05:00 AM
Bling,
What carrier did that agent write you with?
What HP motors did you claim?

HavasuDreamin'
08-20-2004, 06:20 AM
If the HP is low enough farmers will do it. 22' with twin outboards 240 hp each
Mr. Schmidt........if the ins. co. ever finds out you under estimated your horspower by 60 hp on each engine, you could be screwed. :2purples:
Good Luck.

Robbie Racer
08-20-2004, 07:43 AM
Anybody know of any insurance companies that will insure my 25' Carrera with 1200 hp? (Perfect driving record). I've already checked with all the go fast insurance companies but once you have the ability to exceed 120 mph with a boat under 30', they don't want to touch you at any price. Mrs. Restless, I will be happy to switch my homeowners and auto policies over to you if you can get insurance for me on the boat. I checked with AAA down here in Gilroy and they turned me down due to the horsepower. :frown:
RR

Mrs. Restless22
08-20-2004, 07:46 AM
Anybody know of any insurance companies that will insure my 25' Carrera with 1200 hp? (Perfect driving record). I've already checked with all the go fast insurance companies but once you have the ability to exceed 120 mph with a boat under 30', they don't want to touch you at any price. Mrs. Restless, I will be happy to switch my homeowners and auto policies over to you if you can get insurance for me on the boat. I checked with AAA down here in Gilroy and they turned me down due to the horsepower. :frown:
RR
I wish I could help you, but I dont think we would even consider it with 1200hp :( Sorry
I can save some folks alot of money...Im working on bringing someone down from $3200 a year to $600 :2purples: :wink:
Hey Robbie....we will all be at Berryessa on Sunday...think you can make a day trip??

NorCalCat
08-20-2004, 08:08 AM
you know that Mrs. Restless is alright in my book!!!! :D :devil:
Norcal give her a call. Wouldn't hurt.
BTW I got a quote from Markel for $2,200/year with a 4 month layup for my 25 and a "stock" 496HO.
She is already on it. Last night! You don't have to tell me twice. :hammerhea

NorCalCat
08-20-2004, 08:10 AM
Hence
NorCalCat!

andy01
08-20-2004, 08:25 AM
I wish I could help you, but I dont think we would even consider it with 1200hp :( Sorry
I can save some folks alot of money...Im working on bringing someone down from $3200 a year to $600 :2purples: :wink:
Hey Robbie....we will all be at Berryessa on Sunday...think you can make a day trip??
I have my house and cars with AAA and they dropped me 20 days in to my Cat policy. They Don't insure tunnel's, and are not rated by the state to insure boats over a certain speed if I remember what I was told.
Andy

Mrs. Restless22
08-20-2004, 08:26 AM
I have my house and cars with AAA and they dropped me 20 days in to my Cat policy. They Don't insure tunnel's, and are not rated by the state to insure boats over a certain speed if I remember what I was told.
Andy
Do you live in NorCal or SoCal?

andy01
08-20-2004, 08:27 AM
Do you live in NorCal or SoCal?
SoCal............................................. ....

Dave C
08-20-2004, 08:32 AM
hell, I think she owes us a beer. ;) what do you think?
afterall she is a salesperson.
She is already on it. Last night! You don't have to tell me twice. :hammerhea

Mrs. Restless22
08-20-2004, 08:38 AM
SoCal............................................. ....
I can only write in NorCal (like I said previously). ;)
Southern Cal AAA has there own guidelines. And as far as I know...they do not write any cat of any lenght/hp. That was an error/miscommunication on your agents part.

Restless22
08-20-2004, 08:43 AM
Come on nor-cal peeps. the more she sells. the closer i get to my new boat.!!! :D

NorCalCat
08-20-2004, 08:45 AM
Come on nor-cal peeps. the more she sells. the closer i get to my new boat.!!! :D
LOL! I am work'n on it Restless22

Dave C
08-20-2004, 08:55 AM
Does this mean she wears the pants around your house?...... or brings home the bacon. ;)
Hey, I already did my part because you already got a new truck. :smile:

Restless22
08-20-2004, 08:56 AM
[QUOTE=Dave C]Does this mean she wears the pants around your house?...... ;)
WE BOTH WEAR SHORTS.... :D

Restless22
08-20-2004, 08:58 AM
Hey, I already did my part because you already got a new truck. :smile:[/QUOTE]
Now I need to say a prayer for NORCALCAT, One more down...and lots more to go. (just trying to keep up the Davec's). lmao :hammerhea

Dave C
08-20-2004, 09:20 AM
LMAO, so am I ..... :hammerhea
(just trying to keep up the Davec's). lmao :hammerhea
I don't think these people really care about pants or shorts .... they want to know who cracks the whip....... ;)

Restless22
08-20-2004, 09:31 AM
LMAO, so am I ..... :hammerhea
I don't think these people really care about pants or shorts .... they want to know who cracks the whip....... ;)
Weve used whips a time or two :devil: :lightsabe :D :redface:

don johnson
08-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Call Bob Luellen at Worldwide Marine Insurance Co. Thay have a new cat insurance policy program that is the bomb. I saved about HALF the price per year with them over Blacakder, Markel and Ace. Bob and his crew are first rate. He's the one who also puts on the Smoke on the Water poker run for charity every year. His number is (800)339-1235.
Jim,
Here is a picture of our boat. Hope to see meet up with you on the water soon.
Take Care,
Don

Boatlesss
08-20-2004, 03:04 PM
Markel will insure you for $6,300.00 with twin 1,050's then I would not rock the boat!
They charge me more 1/3'rd more for far far less HP, agreed upon value, and way longer lay up time.

Robbie Racer
08-20-2004, 03:35 PM
Mrs. Restless22, we won't be able to make it to Berryessa this Sunday. We have prior plans to hook up with the LBBA folks over at Tower Park on the delta this weekend for their annual get together. We do plan to get back up to Berryessa for the labor day weekend and then again on Sept. 18th weekend. Are you guys planning on being up there either one of those weekends?

don johnson
08-20-2004, 03:52 PM
Markel will insure you for $6,300.00 with twin 1,050's then I would not rock the boat!
They charge me more 1/3'rd more for far far less HP, agreed upon value, and way longer lay up time.
2nd year now with Markel. They did no raise the rate this year. Same as last. I am sure that they will get an increase next year..... Pretty rediculous rates especially when you take into account experiance and driving history. I have no claims, accidents or tickets of any kind.

Boatlesss
08-21-2004, 03:02 PM
Everyone keeps saying there is a change just around the corner.
Seems we live in a round world as I cannot find that corner.

Tantrum
08-21-2004, 10:06 PM
I recently tried to get insurance for a 28 Skater w/ 300 Promax's I was looking to buy. I live in NJ and was looking for coverage for intercoastal waterways and lakes in NJ and NY.
Ace and Markal are the only two companies that I was told would write this type of insurance, I know it is tight. I realy thought I was in with ACE because my business has a policy through them with premiums of $150,000/yr. YES thats not a missprint, exageration or anything other than the fact. $150,000 a year for property and casualty insurance so I thought I would have a little leverage. NADA, NONE, Zippo....
It took them less than five minutes to call me back to tell me there is no way, no exceptions, aint gonna happen, they were not going to insure a 28 foot "Douglas Marine Skater"..........I told them it was a Skater 28 Pleasure, just like Skaters web page. After doing a bunch more research and talking to VP's (as well as my broker pulling every string he could, he nearly shit when I told him we were shopping next year if he couldnt handle a little boat) of the Marine division of ACE they told me this...
There is ONE company that will insure that boat in the states, MARKAL.
Loyds of London is an option BUT I was advised (by insurance people and my attorney) they should only be considered as an absolute last resort because they do not operate as a US based company. They are a British comapny and European laws are very different than here in the US.
So Ill say this, just because a particular company takes your money for premiums on these type boats dont assume you have insurance coverage. If you lie, your not covered....if you stretch the truth your not covered...If your broker stretches the truth your not covered. Of coarse none of this is relevent unless you have a claim and need the coverage.
Dont kid yourself and check your policies or for laughs call up and get a quote direct with the company that holds your policy and see if they will insure you on the true merits of your boat (dont tell them your real name).
If its not held with Marcal chances are your not covered.
Oh yes....Marcal quoted $3500 agreed value, no tkts in the last 3 years, $500K coverage. Expensive?, yes but dont even get into what we pay for auto insurance in NJ, and cheap considering that you could lose everything if your not properly covered.

Huckleberry
08-21-2004, 11:29 PM
Don,
Sweet looking ride! Can't wait to hook up with ya on the water.
Robbie Racer,
Give Bob Luellen a call. He surprised the crap outta me with his pricing!

Robbie Racer
08-23-2004, 07:39 AM
I just got off the phone with Bob Luellen and he said at the current time neither Ace or Markel would insure a 25' tunnel with over 1000 hp. He said that it was due to the fatal crash of the Skater in Chesapeake bay awhile back. He said to check back with him in a couple of months and hopefully by then something may have changed to open up insurance on high hp tunnel hulls.

Tantrum
08-23-2004, 04:27 PM
Robbie
I believe the magic numbers in that size boat are, Less than 120mph and Less than 1000hp. I was suprised at the horsepower cut off with Mercury putting out the 600, 525 ect. If 1000hp is going to be a problem they certainly arent on the same page.
Markal also uses their own speed calculator which put the 28 Skater at 119mph w/ 300ProMax's. I almost started to argue because we both know thats not a real number but because it was under the 120 mark I was going to argue for nothing.
You have 2 options the way I see it, Try to go through Loyds of London as it is or find out exactly how much the motors have to be down tuned to get the weight/power ratio right to be under 120mph.
Good luck with it.
Please post how it turns out or PM me. Im interested to know what you find.

BoatPI
08-23-2004, 07:18 PM
I really wish I had good news, but the voices have spoken on rising insurnace rates for cats. I work claims for every company mentioned here. Dave Giddings at Western Marine Insurance in No Cal is an excellent writer. But Markel seems to be one of the few stepping up and still insuring high HP cats.
You would be shocked to see the totals on some of the claims.

Dave C
08-24-2004, 12:32 PM
boatPI;
We know you can't "name names" but I am interested in the claims.
What are we talking about here? both # of claims and $ paid?
I can understand that boat claims can be expensive but it seems to me that catastrophic claims with big $$ occur in the auto market as well.
thanks
I really wish I had good news, but the voices have spoken on rising insurnace rates for cats. I work claims for every company mentioned here. Dave Giddings at Western Marine Insurance in No Cal is an excellent writer. But Markel seems to be one of the few stepping up and still insuring high HP cats.
You would be shocked to see the totals on some of the claims.

Mrs. Restless22
08-24-2004, 12:38 PM
boatPI;
We know you can't "name names" but I am interested in the claims.
What are we talking about here? both # of claims and $ paid?
I can understand that boat claims can be expensive but it seems to me that catastrophic claims with big $$ occur in the auto market as well.
thanks
IM also curious about this. I cant imagine for the life of me the number of boat claims being higher then auto.

Dave C
08-24-2004, 02:50 PM
especially around Frisco..... :2purples: :) "they" scare me!!!!......
IM also curious about this. I cant imagine for the life of me the number of boat claims being higher then auto.

Kilrtoy
08-24-2004, 03:39 PM
I was thinking the same thing. There are thousands of more vehicle accidents every year that result in deaths, let alone serious injuries.

Boatlesss
08-24-2004, 09:28 PM
I think the problem within the Marine Insurance industry can be penned down to a couple of key problems.
The number of companies that are in the business are few, and this seems to have led to collusion on pricing.
People with boats are wimps. If there is a scratch, small bump or anything the owner wants to turn it into their insurance company. SUCK IT UP and pay the bills yourself. Now days if you use your insurance in the marine industry you only get one shot at it. Why waste it on a $1K scratch that you probably did yourself while drunk?
The number of boating accidents involving alcohol is probably substantially higher with boats than with automobiles. Think about it, there is an entire lake or ocean out there and two people meet and hit each other or the accident is a single boat accident due to very reckless behavior. I can’t condemn the reckless behavior but the alcohol and accidents gives the insurance companies the teeth to charge us more and more.
I think that the insurance of a million dollar home with all the risk and exposure that one can think of is far less expensive than insurance on an 80K boat.
As far as the accident in Chesapeake Bay probably hasn’t even been paid off yet so they are probably using this as an excuse more than a cause/fact.
Also, they (insurance companies) are not stupid. They watch and read all these board reading what people boast about and the behavior of the boater and turn around and use it against us.
There are a lot of HP boats out there and growing by the day, a lot of policies, a lot of $$ being exchanged between us and them and they finally fulfill their part of the contract and they change the game and cry.
I just hope that they do not ruin the industry by making it so that no one can afford to have a boat. They need to look at the overall picture and keep bleeding the industry instead of killing the host.

MAXIMUS
08-25-2004, 07:45 AM
I am just tickled pink! The insurance for my 25' daytona with an hp 500 just went from 1300 to 2200 per year! Yea that is what I want to do, piss away 2200 on insurance for something I use 5 times a year! :rolleyes: :notam:

NorCalCat
08-25-2004, 02:06 PM
Hey, I already did my part because you already got a new truck. :smile:
Now I need to say a prayer for NORCALCAT, One more down...and lots more to go. (just trying to keep up the Davec's). lmao :hammerhea[/QUOTE]
It's a no go. Too much HP, so they say.
Sorry Restless22, you are gonna have to stick with the same boat...

Dave C
08-25-2004, 03:06 PM
thats sucks. :cry:
I knew we couldn't push the envelope too much thats why I got a low HP motor, 425 HP........... (for now) ;)
just don't ask me to open the hatch in the future..... I will deny everything.

Mrs. Restless22
08-25-2004, 03:43 PM
I will deny everything.
And I never heard anything.... :D

Dave C
08-25-2004, 03:55 PM
wasn't going to tell you anyway ;) Don't ask me no questions and I won't tell you no lies. :D
I figure if I hold a cocktail in my left hand you will forget what is in my right hand anyway. ;) :D
And I never heard anything.... :D

Tantrum
08-25-2004, 04:49 PM
Statistically (and I dont know the numbers but the insurance people do) boats are absolutely more dangerous than cars. The value of our boats usually far exceeds the value of our cars. There are hundreds of thousands of cars being insured for the tens of thousands that crash so the risk is diluted.
By the way you dont even want to get me started on what we pay for car insurance in NJ. Where is it that you can drive your car around at 100mph legally? Theres not many 500 or 1000hp cars driving around my neighborhood.
Someone already mentioned the open container/drinking part.
I dont think your being fair comparing cars to boats, just my opinion.
The other part of the story that some of the more knowledgeable insurance guys will confirm is this. Insurance companies invest our premiums in the bond market. If the bond market is doing well and they make money, everyone is happy. Like any business when your not making money (bond market is down) you start looking where your loosing money, in the insurance world, who are they paying out on.
Dont get me wrong, I want a Cat and Id like reasonable insurance.
Id like to hear what the big claims are as well.
Common insurance people, educate us.

shocker
08-29-2004, 08:45 PM
Try Progressive in AZ. that was the cheapest for me. $1,200.00 per year
26' cat with 496HO