PDA

View Full Version : Bears up at Mammoth

PlyaPlya22
08-19-2004, 02:42 PM
A freind of mine went camping and look what they saw and what happened?
when he got up and came at me, I turned around and walked real fast. The sucker walked right up to us in the campsite.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1617Bear.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1617Bear2.jpg
was just excited to see a bear. He got a little scary though after he got so brave. He really pissed me off when he ate my Hershey bars and broke the car window.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1617Glass.jpg
Paw Prints
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1617More_Prints.jpg
The inside of the car
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1617Inside_of_Car.jpg
That was the window he broke. Then he was in the tree when we got back from hiking. The guys were up all night because they had to keep chasing him away. He got up on the table and knocked our stove off. There were 2 bears that night and one jumped in the back of the truck. :jawdrop: :2purples:
__________________________________________________ _______________

Lightning
08-19-2004, 03:06 PM
A
That was the window he broke. Then he was in the tree when we got back from hiking. The guys were up all night because they had to keep chasing him away. He got up on the table and knocked our stove off. There were 2 bears that night and one jumped in the back of the truck. :jawdrop: :2purples:
__________________________________________________ _______________
I guess they were pissed, maybe they were planning on using the campsite that night :)

PlyaPlya22
08-19-2004, 03:19 PM
I guess they were pissed, maybe they were planning on using the campsite that night :)
No shi t, I would of definitely packed my stuff and left camp. Knowing they're out there is one thing. Having to chase them off all night is antoher!

Phat Matt
08-19-2004, 03:31 PM
When I went camping 2 weeks ago at Twins Lakes (north of Mammoth just past Mono lake) we had bears in our camp every night. It happens every year so we are used to it but they broke the lid off my cooler the first night which just had drinks in it and destroyed my uncle's cooler which was empty. I chase him off into the woods and he took the cooler with him! Another night we had a box of "Teddy Grahams" on the table and the cannibals ate all of them. They didn't break my window though like that other guy.

jas0502
08-19-2004, 03:36 PM
What campground were you at? We are going up that way in a couple weeks.

Phat Matt
08-19-2004, 04:25 PM
If you are asking me we stayed at Mono Village at Twin Lakes. It's just outside of Bridgeport off the 395.

jas0502
08-19-2004, 04:33 PM
Sorry Phat Matt, we must have posted at the same time.
PlyaPlya22- what campground were your friends at?
We go up there every year for Labor Day. And yeah.............there are usually one or two around. I have never seen one, but in the middle of the night , you always here people setting off thier car alarms to scare them off!

Ziggy
08-19-2004, 04:35 PM
Some years ago I was hiking/camping with my brother..We arrived later than planned so we stay at the trailhead camp the first nite---Slept on the ground.
During the night a couple bears came into camp to rummage, but the freaky part was one of them walked right between me and my bro :2purples: laying on the ground sound asleep, there was no more than a foot between us, talk about turnin blue from holding my breath :eek: ....that really set off my freakout limit and made me nervous every nite thereafter. :messedup:
This happened to me at Devil's Postpile behind Mammoth.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
08-19-2004, 05:08 PM
I never go camping unarmed :lightsabe :hammer2: :boxingguy

SoCalOffshore
08-19-2004, 07:40 PM
Can we all say together "44 Magnum."

77charger
08-19-2004, 08:20 PM
Can we all say together "44 Magnum."
you mean 454 cassul, ruger .480 or smith and wesson .500. :lightsabe .Just more power in them

Outnumbered
08-19-2004, 10:18 PM
Me and a buddy did a fishing/camping trip back in high school. We camped somewhere along the June Loop near Mammoth. I can't remember exactly where but it was a designated camp site. I had the cooler full of food safe :rolleyes: in the back of my Toyota 4x4 with 33's and a 6" lift.
We go to sleep in the tent about 10 feet from the truck only to awake a few hours later to the sound of the bear playing smack the cooler against the back of my cab. Focker climbed right up the side of my truck and started beating the shit out of my cooler until it opened up. He ate all our shit and then climbed out of the truck heading toward our camp. We are in the tent going WTF do we do now :idea: . Just then the ranger pulled up and scared him away.
We are thinking--cool--and thank the ranger for helping us out. But that was not what he was thinking. The ranger was pissed at us for not stashing our food and started to right us a ticket for feeding the bears :boxingguy Nothing like rubbing salt in the wounds. I talked him out of it and all was OK, but what a dick. We hung our shit from two trees the next night.
OL

Debbolas
08-19-2004, 10:27 PM
Ya know these bears now a days, not like the bears, back when I was a kid. Friendly, Smokey Bear types...........These bears want candy, and once they have some............well they are hooked and want more. It's a viscous cycle.
Scream and Scream Jr. are backpacking in the Mountains this weekend through the next and they had to buy bear boxes. They are going by Yosemite. So all their food has to go into these "barrels" and fit into their backpacks. (not easy) :D

Scream
08-19-2004, 10:42 PM
Scream and Scream Jr. are backpacking in the Mountains this weekend through the next and they had to buy bear boxes. They are going by Yosemite. So all their food has to go into these "barrels" and fit into their backpacks. (not easy) :D
Actually we're camping in the 20 lakes basin in Tuolomne meadows and day hiking to North Dome, The Conness Glacier and a bunch of other geologic sites close by. Bears will see an ice chest in your car and pry it open because they know there's good stuff inside, just by sight. They also love smells, whether it's sweets, meats, or hand lotion, they love smells. Most campgrounds offer bear boxes, and if your lucky enough to get room inside one of them you've got it made, they'll never get your shit. We bought bear canisters for this trip, so we should be just fine.

PlyaPlya22
08-20-2004, 07:30 AM
They were at Pumice Flats.

gramps
08-20-2004, 07:52 AM
next time we go campin' I gonna have my son-in-law sleep in our big ice chest!!!!!!

BoatFloating
08-20-2004, 07:57 AM
Lions and Tigers and Bears Oh My!!!!! :2purples:

Backtanner
08-20-2004, 08:27 AM
Is this the same bear that polished off a case and a half of Rainier?

PlyaPlya22
08-20-2004, 08:42 AM
next time we go campin' I gonna have my son-in-law sleep in our big ice chest!!!!!!
Gramps make it an extra big cooler, so I can send the in laws :D