PDA

View Full Version : High dollar silence $$$

Bryan Rose
08-19-2004, 04:57 PM
I was all ready to fork over some dough to be in stealth mode with Rex's new tips but now I think I will have to save my Nickels and Dimes for a year to save enough to buy a set.....Over $ 750 shipped.... :2purples: :2purples: :2purples:
Do not get me wrong here , I am sure it is worth it and it is a great product but seriously kind of pricey though....I know , I know , you get what you pay for...
Mike , please do not think I am baggin on you about this. I know developement and tooling is a high dollar proposition so no offense is meant. I guess us low buck jet guys will have to continue to be loud and obnoxious until a lower priced alterative is available.
What do you low buck boat guys think.? Am I just cheap all of sudden?
Bryan

phebus
08-19-2004, 06:01 PM
I'm not sure what it is like where you are as far as laws and enforcement go, but out here it is up to $300. per ticket if you get cited. Also it is becoming an issue whether or not you can launch at certain areas. All considered, they might be a cheap investment. I just wish they would fit my application, as I would be one of the first in line to buy them. I think they would add to the enjoyment of my boating.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-19-2004, 08:08 PM
Believe me, they work and are nice looking as well. I'm very satisfied with mine.

Jordy
08-19-2004, 09:42 PM
How many threads are you going to post this in under the guise of not baggin' on Rex? $700 seems pretty cheap to me in the realm of playing with boats. Perhaps you might check out canoes or kayaks if this is a little much for ya. :rolleyes:

ROZ
08-19-2004, 10:06 PM
How many threads are you going to post this in under the guise of not baggin' on Rex? $700 seems pretty cheap to me in the realm of playing with boats. Perhaps you might check out canoes or kayaks if this is a little much for ya. :rolleyes:Good canoes and kayaks are over a grand... Some of the sick light weight riggers with an ama are well into the 4-5k range :D

HighRoller
08-19-2004, 10:47 PM
Well, you could buy SuperTrapps and have problems. Or buy a couple $200 Flowmasters and pay to have some mounts fabbed up to maybe meet standards. IMCO Gatlins are 800 a set. So sounds like you're right on target any way you choose.

Rexone
08-20-2004, 02:57 AM
Actually they are priced a little under all other similar products we've seen. But more importantly they work and actually meet the required CA specs (J2005), and do not use up horsepower in the process. And they include the Superflapper™ assembly as part of the silencer. Many other silencers do not incorporate any type of flapper or charge extra for them. They are an excellent value for what you get by comparison.
Our focus from concept to completion was to meet and exceed the J2005 noise requirements with no power loss. My thought after testing a number of other brands was why bother building these if they're just like all the others and don't actually beat the noise level requirements or if they do they use horsepower doing it. Price level was never our number one concern... they had to work number one... and if they didn't a lower price would mean nothing.
When we started this project over a year ago my goal was to produce these where they could be sold under $600 a pair. Since then the design became more involved than initially envisioned, adding processes, components, tooling, and cost to get the product to be what it needed to be. Then early this year just before we actually geared up for production the cost of stainless went up 50% to in some cases as high as 100% (double). Since these units are 100% 316 stainless... well you get the picture. Hopefully stainless will come back down, but I'm not holding my breath (refer to gasoline pricing now vs pre run up). If that happens then the selling price can come down too.

Jordy
08-20-2004, 05:43 AM
So it's a profit thing... :D

BoatFloating
08-20-2004, 09:09 AM
I can't believe Rex is trying to make a profit on us poor broke boating people....scum bag :wink: Hell it cost me $700 in gas for 4 days :eek:

Essex502
08-20-2004, 11:04 AM
I've seen these up close and let me tell you they are QUALITY. Yes, you can pay less and get less or you can choose to ignore the reality of the noise laws and save your money entirely. Your choice...mine...I've have a set of these bad boys on our next boat! (Current boat's exhaust exits underwater until the boat is on plane otherwise Rex would have my money already!) :D

Hustler
08-20-2004, 11:28 AM
Mike, are the new silencers going to fit in the same hole as the current 4" tips? Do you have any pic's of what they look like?

Rexone
08-20-2004, 01:31 PM
Mike, are the new silencers going to fit in the same hole as the current 4" tips? Do you have any pic's of what they look like?
Yes they fit in the same holes as long as you have standard 4" tips that bolt in with 3 thru-bolts. If yours are screwed on with wood screws you have to drill the holes out.
And yes I have pics....
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4687
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4688&stc=1

Havasu Hangin'
08-20-2004, 01:33 PM
What if your tips are angled down?
Do you offer discounts for buying more than one set? :eek:

BoatFloating
08-20-2004, 03:02 PM
What if your tips are angled down?
Do you offer discounts for buying more than one set? :eek:
Sounds like a personal problem.

don johnson
08-20-2004, 04:37 PM
Rexone,
Do you have a slip on? I currently have Imco Powerflow Plus's with one piece tailpipe that goes thru the transom.... I cannot cut the tailpipe as it is waterjacketed....

Rexone
08-20-2004, 04:41 PM
ON THE NORDICS we have exturnal flapers ?will they work after taking the flapers off and what happens with out flaps? :confused:
The Powersilencers™ have Superflappers™ built in. Also the basic design of the silencers discourages backflow surge (the purpose of flappers). We have approximately 4000 Superflappers™ in service now in exhaust tips and I have not had one reported failure yet, even on blown motors. So I'm confident they'll do the job for you.
HH sorry I have no way to address the angle issue on those tips. The only thing I can think of that "might" solve it is to fabricate some wedges to fit between the transom and the silencers. We have not had enough call for the angles to warrant making them part of the silencer design. Less than 3% of the exhaust tips we build are 12º angle flanges.

Rexone
08-20-2004, 04:45 PM
Rexone,
Do you have a slip on? I currently have Imco Powerflow Plus's with one piece tailpipe that goes thru the transom.... I cannot cut the tailpipe as it is waterjacketed....
Don, we are working on a clamp-on design model but it is not yet available. I don't anticipate it being available for approx 90 days due to tooling requirements unfortunately. The initial clamp on model will be for 4.5" pipes. Additional sizes are possible but not yet committed to. Without letting the design cat out of the bag I can tell you the clamping assembly will not be similar to any of the flimsy stuff I've seen other silencers utilizing. They will be bullitproof and attractive.

Hustler
08-20-2004, 06:26 PM
Mike, Whats the outside dimention of those?

Bryan Rose
08-20-2004, 06:28 PM
When we started this project over a year ago my goal was to produce these where they could be sold under $600 a pair. Since then the design became more involved than initially envisioned, adding processes, components, tooling, and cost to get the product to be what it needed to be. Then early this year just before we actually geared up for production the cost of stainless went up 50% to in some cases as high as 100% (double). Since these units are 100% 316 stainless... well you get the picture. Hopefully stainless will come back down, but I'm not holding my breath (refer to gasoline pricing now vs pre run up). If that happens then the selling price can come down too.
I thought I remembered this from you a while ago , I think that is why I was so shocked to see the price of them now. I do not doubt the quality of the product, no doubt as good as the rest of your line of products. I had a knee jerk reaction to price that is all. You know what I mean I am sure, kind of like when you get an estimate for something and they give you a range of price Say , "it will cost you between $550.00 and $800.00 to get it done" and you get it in you head ,"yeah that's not to bad at all $550. 00 and we got a deal," then in the long run it ends up really costing $800.00 :2purples: , now you have sticker shock and have a hard time with it, but you knew it could cost that much up front, but you just did not want to think it would. Do you know what I mean here? Have we all not done this?
So with that said, I will be saving to buy a set of these tips in the future, my guess is over the winter. Great work Rex and look forward to silence.
Bryan :hammerhea

Bre
08-20-2004, 07:37 PM
I didn't read this whole thread..please forgive me :rolleyes: :p
Mike.... our tips are 5 inches in diameter..... do you have ones that will fit inside so you can't really see them??? :confused: We don't want ones that stick off the back. Thanks. :shift:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/508/1543boatback-med.jpg

Bre
08-20-2004, 07:40 PM
Also.. if I get a ticket for being over.... and I buy some from you.... will you pay it :idea: :D

Rexone
08-21-2004, 12:09 AM
Mike, Whats the outside dimention of those?
Outside dimension is 6 inch OD x 8" long from the outside of the transom to the end of the silencer.
Bre,
Sorry no on the insert type and the ticket. :D

Bre
08-22-2004, 12:58 PM
Outside dimension is 6 inch OD x 8" long from the outside of the transom to the end of the silencer.
Bre,
Sorry no on the insert type and the ticket. :D
Damn. OK thanks. :D

Sandbar Mike
08-24-2004, 06:25 AM
Don, we are working on a clamp-on design model but it is not yet available. I don't anticipate it being available for approx 90 days due to tooling requirements unfortunately. The initial clamp on model will be for 4.5" pipes. Additional sizes are possible but not yet committed to. Without letting the design cat out of the bag I can tell you the clamping assembly will not be similar to any of the flimsy stuff I've seen other silencers utilizing. They will be bullitproof and attractive.
Mike, I'm looking forward to seeing those. That sounds like an application I would like to have, being able to remove them with ease after getting launched would be the key for me.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-24-2004, 07:42 AM
Mike, I'm looking forward to seeing those. That sounds like an application I would like to have, being able to remove them with ease after getting launched would be the key for me.
Keep in mind you can still get a ticket out on the lake as well.

Bad Puddy Tat
08-26-2004, 05:04 PM
Mike,
Have you done any testing yet over 700HP? I'M running just under 1000HP and need a solution. Look forward to getting an update on your testing. Last I had heard they were compliant to 700 HP.

Rexone
08-27-2004, 01:07 AM
We've run multiple tests in the 700 range now successfully and one at around 850 (blown). We need some additional testing in the 800-1000 range before I make any firm claims on power in that upper range although the one we did at 850 lost no power. If your boat has exhaust tips (not thru transom pipes that will require clamp-on) I'm interested in discussing testing with you at this time.